The Regretful Past

Behind the Mask

--------

16 years ago…

It was a dark gloomy day. There were no smiles. No laughter. No happiness. Everyone from the spy agency of SM were dressed in black and they all gathered around the tombstone of an important person.

“She was a wonderful person Eunsik. With her gone, it’s a loss for all of us.” Your uncle stood next to Eunsik with his hand on his shoulder.

Eunsik didn’t say a word and just stared at the words carved onto the stone that stood in front of him. *Hyosung, How could you leave me? Why would you sacrifice yourself? I should have been the one in your place instead.* He mourned over her death.

A family approached him. Jinhyung carried a baby seat in his arm while Mieun held the hand of two and a half year old Sehun.  You were the baby in the baby seat sleeping peacefully while on a pacifier.

Jinhyung set you down next to Sehun. “Sehun, please watch your baby sister, while we go talk to uncle Eunsik. You can do that right?”

“Yes daddy.” Sehun did what he was told not knowing anything that was happening at that time. When Sehun took a look at you, you were already awake. He stood in front of you and you extended your arms trying to grab him. He gave you his finger and you tightly held it in your hand and waved it around.

Sehun smiled from your cuteness and began to play with you, making you laugh.

“Sehun, this isn’t a very good time to make your sister laugh.” Your parents came back. “Let’s go now,” they said taking Sehun and you into the car.

---

Your uncle was on a mission in the southern part of South Korea. He was getting ready to trigger his gun to shoot any moment now. “Bang!” The culprit clops onto the floor. He was about to leave the building when his phone began to ring.

“Chief! Emergency in headquarters! Eunsik has gone insane! He’s has the building on lock down and threatening to kill everyone!”

“What?! Agent Chin, where are Jinhyung and Mieun?! Get them to get Eunsik to calm down!” Your uncle screamed over the phone.

“They are here and are trying to but no matter what they do, he won’t listen!” He could tell that he was starting to panic. “Oh my god. We’re going to die, we’re going to die!”

“Agent Chin, you calm down first. Everything is going to be fine, CODE B78. If he doesn’t calm down, you know what to do.”

“Yes sir- , CHIEF! HE HAS THE BUILDING ON FIR-” The line was cut off before he could finish his sentence.

His eyes widened. “. Eunsik, what have you done now?!”

He his earpiece. “Get the plane ready. Be ready to take off right after I get on. Emergency at headquarters. We need to get back this instant!”

---

A few minutes before the call

Eunsik entered the control room of headquarters. “Oh Chief Eunsik, what are you doing here?” asked the worker.

“Get out. There’s something I need to do.”

“O-okay,” the worker stumbled out of the room and Eunsik sat down. He started typing into the computer. A few moments later, sirens went off.

“Lock down confirmed.” The agents in the building wondered why there was a sudden lock down when they were not informed of anything.

“What’s happening?”

“Did I miss some news?”

“Is there something important going on?”

Jinhyung and Mieun came out of their office. “What’s going on? Who set off the lock down?” Eunsik walked out of the room with a smirk on his face.

---

“Eunsik, put the weapon down, and let’s think about this for a bit. The death of your wife was not anyone’s fault. It was her choice to do what she wanted to do. Do you think she’ll like how you’re acting right now? I bet she’d be very disappointed,” said Jinhyung.

“He’s right,” Mieun spoke up. “You can’t change the past. We need to accept the fact and move on with life. She wanted the best for you, for everyone. So she did what she could do.”

“You two are just saying that. You don’t know what it’s like to have part of your heart, just rip apart,” said Eunsik.

“Yes we do-“

“NO YOU DON’T. YOU AND JINHYUNG ARE A HAPPILY MARRIED COUPLE WITH TWO CHILDREN. You have Sehyung or whatever his name is and your daughter who I don’t give a about her name. I’d say you guys have the perfect life, the life I’ve always wanted, to just be in love and start a family. But now it’s all ruined… Because of you two... Why did you put her in that position? Why couldn’t you have put me in instead? Then none of this would have happened.”

Sehun had snuck out of the room he was in to see what was going on, being the clueless child he was and hid behind some metal file cabinets. Jinhyung had just picked up Sehun from his preschool and dropped by headquarters to get some paperwork done before going home. You were left alone at home to sleep while Mieun also wanted to drop by headquarters to pick up some work to bring home. None of them expected this to happen.

 “Now, Eunsik. Let’s calm down for a bit. Let’s just put the weapon down and we just talk everything out. Remember how we started this organization together with my brother? Remember the good times? Come on, you’re my best friend ever since the third grade. You can trust me after what we’ve been through together,” said Jinhyung.

“I don’t trust anyone anymore,” Eunsik replied before taking out a zippo lighter and throwing it.

---

Your uncle tried to get back to headquarters as fast as possible, but it was too late. Everything had been destroyed along with the many people he loved. Jihyung, his only brother, and Mieun, his loyal sister-in-law were now gone. He had also presumed that his niece and nephew where gone also. As for Eunsik, he was believed to have died in the fire too.

He was now really the only family member left.

He drove over to the house of Jinhyung and Mieun. All the precious memories flooded through his mind. Portraits of the family were along the walls. He brought up his hand and slightly touched it thinking that it was the closest thing considered to be family to him.

A sudden sound inside the house startled him. It sounded like a person rolling around a bed. He walked towards the sound and into a room with suspense pounding in his chest.

There you were, rubbing your eyes and switching sides back and forth on the bed.

His eyes widened. *~~~~~~... So you were here all along. What about Sehun?* He quickly checked over the other rooms to see if there were anyone else in the house. To his disappointment, there wasn’t.

He picked you up into his arms and cradled you. “~~~~~~, it’s only you and me…”

---

For the next few years, your uncle started over. He renamed the spy agency SU-PA and relocated the headquarters. He recruited the most trustworthy people he could find.

As you grew older, your uncle tried his best to train you in every skill needed. You were disciplined and treated roughly but it was because he wanted you to be prepared for anything that could happen.

You maybe be wondering why he put you to be a spy if you were of course going to be in danger. Well, it’s because being a spy was in your blood. For countless generations, your past ancestors were also spies. It’d be a disappointment if you weren’t one.  Another reason was because your uncle would need a successor to the company and you’d be the only heir to it.

[A/N: I'm sorry if this chapter . I tried my best. :/ hoho now you know part of what had happened in the past~]