Tutors for Hire

My Nerd Prince [BACK FROM LONG HIATUS]

Tutor Mi Jin, the annoying brat? No way. I already agreed to tutor her physically with Mr. Shim but in my mind the answer is a clear NO. She may be the daughter of our school founder but I think she's abusing her power her too much. She's annoying, disrespectful and most of all, rude. I can't stand her. At all. With a sigh, I trudged towards my locker. 

"What happened, hyung?" Sungjong asked as I opened my locker. "Mr. Shim asked me to tutor Mi Jin." Sungjong stayed quiet for a while. "I feel so sorry for you, hyung." Sungjong said as he put his things inside his locker. "I do too." I said pretending to cry. "I'm sure she's not as bad as she seems." He attempted to uplift my disturbed soul. I hope so. 

A minute later, Myungsoo joined us. Thankfully, he didn't ask anything. We made our way downstairs to the cafeteria to eat lunch. We arrived just on time to see Mi Jin splashing water on a girl's face. Are you kidding me?! Freaking kill me now!  I thought. Sungjong nudged my elbow. "What?" I whispered. He peered at me with scared eyes. "See what I told you!" He looked away. "Why did something happen?" Myungsoo asked curiously. "I'll explain later." He raised his eyebrows but nodded. 

After getting our lunch, we headed towards a table near the cafeteria entrance. "So. . . what happened?" Myungsoo asked once again. "I have to tutor Mi Jin." I said as casually as I can. "I see. Well good luck with that." He broke his chopsticks in half and started eating. There's no way I'm ever going to tutor her especially after witnessing her splash water on the poor girl's face. I shuddered at the thought of her splashing water on MY face. She's really mean!

"Do you guys know anything else about Mi Jin? You know, anything else besides that she's rude and disrespectful." I asked. Even if I don't agree to tutoring Mi Jin I know I'll be forced into it somehow. Even Mi Jin will be forced to it even if she doesn't want to. I recalled last year where seniors kept saying how Mr. Shim is really nice but if his orders weren't obeyed all hell would break loose. I shuddered. I don't want that to happen. 

Myungsoo opened his mouth. "She's known as the Evil Queen around the school. They say if you ever get in her way, she'll torture you. There have been some rumors where they said she made a girl cry so many times that she decided to drop out of this school." "Oh yeah. I remember something. Her last name's Kang right?" I nodded my head. "Well, she's the daughter of the founder of this school. Her family is one of the richest in this district, meaning she's spoiled. That's what I heard anyway." Great. More reasons to hate her. With a gulp, I wished myself good luck. 

After eating, we went outside to get some fresh air. We all went under the comfort of the shade of the tree near the school entrance. Sungjong immediately took out his snacks out of his backpack and started munching happily while Myungsoo took his ipod out to listen to music. As for me, I took out last years notes to refresh my mind. All was in peace when the bell rang, signaling the end of lunch. 

A crowd of students piled in as the school's doors opened. We all rushed to our lockers to get our things. After about 10 minutes, we were back in our classroom. It was empty as we were the first ones there. I sat down and continued reading last year's notes. Slowly, the classroom piled in with students. In a matter of minutes, the classroom was filled with students and everyone was sitting quietly in their seats. Finally, Mr. Shim appeared at the front. 

"Since I explained all the rules and requirements this morning, I thought we could use this afternoon to get to know each other as a class." Everyone groaned. I guess I'm not the only that dreads this part during the first day of school, I thought. "Quit complaining," Mr. Shim jokingly said. "Since we're going to spend 9 months together, I thought it would be best if we could get to know each other. After all, your class is your second family right?" Everyone bitterly nodded. 

"Alright, I'll call you one by one according to the class list. While you're upfront, I want you to tell your full name, your birthday, your favourite colour and one expectation for this school year. Easy right?" Everyone nodded. He started calling names one by one. 

"Ahn Hee Jin."

"Ahn Su Min." 

"Baek Woon Ha." 

Mr. Shim continued to call names one by one and it seemed everyone was having fun hearing everyone's expectations for this school year. However, the laughter died down as soon as he called a certain person's name. "Kang Mi Jin." She slowly walked up to the front and she stood right in the middle. She immediately opened but closed it, hesitation apparent in her eyes. After a few seconds she opened once more.

"You already know my full name so I don't need to repeat it once more, my birthday is on April 7, you don't need to know my favourite colour either and to be honest, I don't have any expectations this year. The same crap happens every year. I fail my classes,life goes on." She walked away. No one was really surprised with her answer. She will always be the same sour Kang Mi Jin. After a while, my name was finally called. "Lee Sungyeol."

I walked up and stood in the middle. I opened my mouth to speak. "My name is Lee Sungyeol. My birthday is on August 27 and my favourite colour is blue. My expectation for this year is that I'll still get a lot of people asking for homework help." Everyone laughed. "Thank you." I bowed. 

It took half an hour for the whole class to finish introducing themselves. When the last person finished, Mr. Shim stood in the middle once again. "Now that that's finished, why don't we do something fun?" A chorus of "Yes!", "Finally" and "Yay!" surrounded the room. "Alright, here's what I want you to do. Take out a piece of paper and write down one random fact about you. After writing it down, I want you to put it in here." Mr. Shim held up a large goldfish bowl. "Once everyone's done, I will scramble it all up and give each of you a random piece of paper. You will go around the room trying to find the person that corresponds with your fact. Is everything clear?" Everyone nodded. "Start now."

I took out a piece of paper and thought hard. What should I put?, I thought. Ah, I snapped my fingers. I quickly wrote it down and put it on the bowl. I sat back down. "Is everyone finished?" Mr. Shim asked. He looked around the room. "Seems like it." He went down each row and started giving each person a piece of paper. I received mine and looked at it. I raised my eyebrow. Written on it were a bunch of incoherent words and swears. I think I know who this is. 

I stood up and went to the person right next to me. Kang Mi Jin. "This is you right?" She looked up. There was a moment of hesitation but she slowly nodded. "And this is you right?" She held up a piece of paper. On it was written, I am 183 cm tall. I nodded.

We did nothing but fun activities throughout the afternoon and time passed by without us realizing. It was 5 minutes before the bell rings for dismissal. Everyone was running wild around the classroom and our teacher was nowhere to be found. Unbelievable. Just what kind of teacher is he?, I thought. Suddenly, the door opened and Mr. Shim stepped in. Everyone immediately settled down. 

"I hope you all had fun today." Mr. Shim spoke. "Have as much fun as you'd like for now because I will officially start classes 2 days from now. See you all tomorrow." The bell rang and everyone started packing their things. "Lee Sungyeol and Kang Mi Jin, I would like you to stay for a few minutes." Murmurs were immediately heard around the room. 

"Ooh, I wonder what happened."

"Are they in trouble?"

I looked at Kang Mi Jin who was beside me. Her fists were clenched tight and an irritated expression was on her face. The murmurs wouldn't stop and after a few seconds, she finally blew up. "Yah! All of you, shut up right now!" Everyone stopped whispering at once. "Didn't you hear the bell? It's time for all of you to leave!" She looked really mad. "Mi Jin, please calm down." Mr. Shim said. 

"What do you want now?" She demanded. "I just wanted you to know that Sungyeol, your tutor, was carefully chosen. There were many candidates but since Sungyeol is in your class, we finalized the decision to him. One of the many candidates was Kim Cho Hee, your friend." Mi Jin's eyes grew wide. "Damn it." "Watch your language please." Mi Jin rolled her eyes. 

"Anyway, since classes start in two days, I will have to give Sungyeol the lesson outline for this year. I was going to give it to you today but since I forgot to print it, I'm afraid I'll have to give it to you tomorrow. Is everything clear?" I nodded. "What about you, Mi Jin?" She looked up. "Can I just get Cho Hee to tutor me? She's pretty smart." She begged. "I'm afraid that's not possible. Mrs. Park, her homeroom teacher has a different lesson outline from mine." The gleam of hope disappeared from her eyes. "Fine. But it's not a guarantee that I will pass, even with Sungyeol's help" She walked away. 

Mr. Shim turned towards me. "I'm sure she will. After all, you helped people with their homework all these years. And they all passed!" I shyly smiled. "Please take good care of her. I'm begging you. Her father will kill me if she doesn't pass!" "I will, Mr. Shim." I bowed. "You can leave now." I bowed once more. "Thank you." 

I left the classroom and headed towards my locker. I picked up my backpack and locked my locker. Sungjong and Myungsoo appeared beside me. "Man, our teacher is weird. He basically treated us like elementary kids when we're in our last year of high school." Sungjong scratched his head. "I like it! I hope he treats us like this for the rest of the year." Myungsoo flicked his forehead. "Don't get your hopes up. I heard he's pretty strict." Sungjong's shoulders deflated. "Well, either way I still think our senior year will be the best year yet." I laughed. "I hope so." We started walking towards the school gates. 

 

 

 

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey guys, naemiyoung here. Sorry I didn't update for 3 days. I actually started writing this chapter 3 days ago but I couldn't finish it because there were too many 'distractions' (lol jk I was trying to finish Love Rain. btw if you guys haven't watched it, you definitely should! I highly recommend it) I hope you guys are enjoying my story so far and I'll see you in the next chapter :)