Beautiful Target

My Nerd Prince [BACK FROM LONG HIATUS]

My Nerd Prince playlist: 

Now playing: Coffee Boy- 웃는다

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I took another deep breath. "Well then, uh, do you still. . . remember him?" (a/n: this is back to Mi Jin's POV btw)

 

It happened a long time ago but I still remember it clearly. In my first year of junior high, I met a guy. In my eyes, he was perfect. He was one of those people that managed to excel in their studies and yet still have a social life. In fact, he was one of the kingkas of the school. He was mostly in all my classes.

My bullying problem followed me to my new school, Kang Junior High. People still bullied me but this time, to a much greater extent. They were a lot harsher with their insults and their words stung like alcohol poured on a wound. But for some reason, every time I saw him,  I would just forget everything. I was in a puppy love. 

It was weird, he was mostly in all my classes but I always forgot his name. One day, I was on my way to class when I 'accidentally' tripped (I know someone stuck their foot out but I didn't want to cause trouble so I just shut up about it). My papers went flying all over the hallway and people around me were laughing. It was embarrassing, yes, but I was used to this. It had happened a million times before and it no longer fazed me. 

I was about to stand up when a hand reached out to me. I looked up. It was him. I felt myself turning red and I hesitantly grabbed his hand. He helped me pick up my papers and handed them to me. "Um, sorry about that," he said sheepishly, scratching his head. "Oh no, it was totally my fault. I should have looked where I was going," I mumbled shyly. He smiled at me. "My name's Song Chan Ho. What's yours?" I turned red once again. 

"K-Kang M-Mi J-Jin," I stuttered. "Hey, I think I've seen you around. Are you, by any chance, in Mrs. Park's Science class?" I slowly nodded my head. "Actually, we mostly have the same classes together," I said, gaining a little confidence as I pushed my glasses up. He widened his eyes. "Really? Oh wait, Kang Mi Jin right?" He looked deep in thought. "Ah I see now. You're right. In fact, I think we have the same class right now. Hurry, I think we're late." He reached out his and to me again. I looked at his outstretched hand awkwardly. "Are you coming or not?" This time, I took his hand and we ran all the way to our next class. 

Everyone's eyes widened as we walked in, hand in hand. "Let's sit by the back," he said. I wanted to object. I've always sat in the front, I thought. I followed him nonetheless. We sat down together. He looked at me. "Should we sit together in our classes from now on?" My face was slowly turning to tomato. "I-Is that o-okay?" I stammered. He grinned. "Of course. I want to get know you more, okay." He winked. At that time, I felt like I was in heaven, like my soul was slowly leaving my body. 

As the weeks passed, I slowly found myself falling more in love with him. We talked when we were in class and when we passed each other in the hallways. Min Hee caught my strange behavior around him early. "You like him, don't you?" She smirked at me. I quickly shook my head even though the answer was clear in my face. "Mi Jin, you look like a tomato." Min Hee laughed. I sighed and surrendered. "Fine, now you know the truth. Please don't tell the others yet. I want to tell them myself. Oh, and please, don't meddle," I pleaded. Min Hee laughed and patted my head. "I promise." She held out her pinky. I twisted my pinky against hers. Thank you, I mouthed and ran off to my class. 

When I got in class, the teacher announced that we'll be having our first term exam soon. Time passes fast, I thought. I was writing down all the topics we need to study for when a note landed on my desk. I opened it. 

Let's study together. I mean, if you want to.

-Chan Ho

I felt myself turning instantly turning red. Chan Ho coughed loudly. I looked up from the note. He grinned at me. I pointed to the note and mouthed, Me?  He grinned at me again and mouthed back, Yes, you. I wrote back on the piece of paper he gave me.

If it's okay with you. . . 

-Mi Jin

I passed the note back to him. He smiled instantly when he saw my reply. He gave me thumbs up. After the teacher was done talking, he scooted closer to me. "So, when do you want to study together?" I tapped my pen against the desk. "Whenever you want." I blushed. "Since the exam is in two weeks, do you want to study every other day this week and everyday next week?" He looked at me hopefully. "Uh, okay." I smiled sheepishly. 

"That's set then. Where do you want to study? My house, your house or the library?" My house? His house? What?  I blushed. "I think the library would be the best option," I said. He looked disappointed. "I was hoping you would say either my house or your house." At that moment, I felt my heart leap out of my chest. I gulped. What's that supposed to mean? Does he. . . possibly like me? I shook the thoughts away. He's only being considerate, Mi Jin. Don't jump to conclusions

For the next two weeks, we both studied hard. We'd go to library and go to the most isolated spot so we could study in peace together. The library was packed with other students studying as well. 

Finally, exam week came. I finished every exam with ease and so did Chan Ho. A week later, the exam results came out. As usual, I was first in the class ranking. Chan Ho came second. We gave each other a hi-five. "Good job," we said to each other at the same time. I blushed and he laughed. 

"Hey, Mi Jin, summer starts tomorrow and I just want to invite to this party I'm having right after school ends tomorrow. Do you want to come? You could invite your friends too." He grinned. I considered his offer. "Okay." I smiled. "Awesome!" He gave me his address. 

I walked out of school feeling giddy that day. On the car ride back home, I told Cho Hee and the others about Chan Ho's invite. Min Hee and Lina squealed. "Yay, it's party time! I deserve to have some fun after the grueling exams," Min Hee said, jumping for joy. "Min Hee, calm down we're in a car," Cho Hee scolded. 

Min Hee smirked at me. "Hey, Mi Jin~" She gave me a creepy smile. "Should I dress you up tomorrow? You know, for Chan Ho." I blushed and threw my bag at her. "Yah, I told you not to meddle!," I cried. Min Hee laughed evilly. "I know you want to." Min Hee continued to taunt me. 

Lina and Cho Hee's curiosity sparked. "Omo, what is this about?" I sighed. "Fine, I'll tell you. But just don't meddle like Min Hee over here." They nodded. "I like Chan Ho." I blushed just by saying his name. "Aigoo, Mi Jin's all grown up now," Cho Hee laughed. "Yah, I'm not a kid anymore!," I cried. 

"Unnie, should we dress her up tomorrow?" Cho Hee and Min Hee smirked at each other. "I told you not to meddle!" Min Hee laughed evilly. "Whatever, Mi Jin. I know you want to look good in front of Chan Ho tomorrow." I sighed, surrendering. "Fine." 

And so, after school the following day, Cho Hee, Min Hee and Lina rushed to my house to get ourselves ready. After fixing themselves, Cho Hee and the others went towards me. They dressed me up in a strapless white sundress that stopped at my knees and put my hair up in a messy bun with my fringes curled. Then for the final touch, they gave me light lavender flats. 

I looked at myself in the mirror. I look different but I. . . kind of like it, I thought. I giggled and circled around, looking at myself 360° at the mirror. "Thanks guys!" They smiled at me. "Wait, you're not done yet," Min Hee came towards me with a bunch of makeup products in her hand. I looked at her nervously. Makeup? I thought blankly. Makeup was something foreign to me. I never once thought about wearing it. I thought I was too young. 

"Just trust me," Min Hee looked at me with a serious expression on her face. She took off my glasses and passed me my contact lenses. I didn't wear my contact lenses often. I just wore it during special occasions. "Close your eyes." Min Hee started lining my eyes with brown eyeliner. After that, she put blush on my cheeks and a peach coloured tinted lip balm on my lips. "Done." Min Hee smiled. "Nothing too fancy or overdone. It's simple but she looks pretty right?" Cho Hee and Lina nodded. I turned towards Min Hee. "Thank you." She gave me a thumbs up.

Lina hugged me. "Aigoo, our dongsaeng is growing up~," she cooed. I scoffed at her. "Lina, you're younger than me. In fact, you're the youngest out of all of us." She pouted. "Aish, I was just trying to make you laugh." 

A minute later, we were in the car. When we got to his house, the party was already in full swing. I heard loud music and people laughing. I was about to ring the door bell when he stepped out. "Mi Jin! I've been waiting for you. Come in, the party started two hours ago." I bowed. "Sorry." He smiled at me. "Are they your friends?" 

"Yeah." I smiled proudly. "Well, come in. Oh, and by the way, Mi Jin you look pretty today." I was stunned. Min Hee and the others were giggling quietly behind me. I shot them a look. 

Chan Ho led us to the backyard. Loud music was playing, people were dancing and some were in the pool. We immediately scattered when we joined the crowd. Min Hee ran off to flirt with some guys while Lina dragged Cho Hee to the buffet table. I was left standing awkwardly with Chan Ho at my side. 

"Come, I'll introduce to my friends." He held out his hand. "Let's go." As we wove our way through the crowd, whispers and murmurs were heard.

"Omo. why are they holding hands?"

"Song Chan Ho finally has a girlfriend?"

I blushed. I'm not his girlfriend, I thought. The whispers continued.

"I'm jealous of that girl."

"Who is she?"

I frowned. They don't recognize me? The power of makeup, huh. I pushed my thoughts away. We approached a group of people. "Hey guys, this is Mi Jin, the girl I was talking about." A few people almost spat out their drinks. "I didn't recognize you. You look, er, different today," A girl wearing a floral shirt said. "Mi Jin, meet Kim Shin Yeong. Shin Yeong, meet Kang Mi Jin." Chan Ho introduced us to each other. She walked up to me and shook my hand. "Hi, Song Chan Ho said a lot about you." He did?  She grinned at me. "Nice to meet you." 

Chan Ho introduced me to a few more of his friends. He introduced me to Lee Chi Hoon, Park Hyo Jin, Won Jong Jin and girl named Baek Su Min but goes by the name Yuko. I gasped. They all looked so pretty and handsome I possibly can't compare to them even though I'm already wearing makeup, I thought. 

I hung out with Chan Ho and his friends for a while. Omo, they're nice too. I was having a lot of fun with them when I realized I had abandoned my own friends. I bid them goodbye and walked around, looking for Cho Hee and the others. 

5 minutes later, I found them huddled together in a corner, talking to other people. I walked over to them. "I'm really, really, really, sorry for abandoning you guys. I got caught up talking to Chan Ho and his friends." I expected them to be mad but instead they were smirking at me. "It's okay, Mi Jin. We know you were with Chan Ho. Oh, and by the way, would you mind introducing mt to some of his guy friends?," Min Hee said, her eyes the shape of hearts. I rolled my eyes. "Whatever, Min Hee, whatever." 

Hours passed and soon people started leaving. I checked the time. It's only 5:30 pm. Why is everyone leaving so early? I thought parties like this last until midnight. I was confused. Oh well, whatever, I guess I have to call our driver to pick us up now. I was about to punch in the number when Chan Ho appeared beside me. "Can you help me with something?," he asked, smiling sheepishly while scratching his head. "Sure," I nodded.

I stepped out from the corner and looked around me. "What? Did everyone leave already?" I was scratching my head, confused. "Uh, yeah. I told everyone the party only lasts until 5 that's why." I nodded my head. Ah, I see. I didn't know. . .  "Anyway, can you come with me to our shed? There's something I need to get and I need your help."  

We walked over to the shed and Chan Ho opened it. I widened my eyes as soon as I saw the water balloons. "Eeep, why do you have water balloons here?" 

"It was supposed to be for the party but I forget about them until now. We're going away to Tokyo for vacation tomorrow so I don't really know if I can save them for another time." 

"Where do I come in on this?" 

He grinned at me. "Do you want to have a water balloon fight with me?" 

I was stunned. "Um, just the two of us?" 

"Well, your friends can join too." 

We carried the tub of water balloons outside. "I'll go call them then." I went back to the corner. Huh, where are they? I looked all over for them but they were nowhere to be found. I scratched my head. Just then, my phone vibrated, indicating I got a text message. I opened my phone

Mian, Mi Jin but something came up. Me, Cho Hee and Lina already went home. 

Have fun with your lover boy~

-Min Hee

I cursed Min Hee under my breath. Aish, that girl.  I turned around only to find myself get hit with a water balloon. "Yah!," I screamed in annoyance. Chan Ho ran away. "I'll get you for this!" I ran to the tub of water balloons and took a couple. I spotted Chan Ho hiding behind a bush and I quietly tiptoed towards him. 

Haha I got you now. Target locked, I thought, smirking. Unfortunately, he caught on to my little plan and he came out of his hiding spot and ambushed me with water balloons. I became soaking wet. Now you're going to get it, Song Chan Ho! 

We kept throwing the balloons at each other until finally, only one balloon remained. I quickly grabbed and aimed it at Chan Ho. 

Song Chan Ho, you are my beautiful target. 

We were both soaking wet by the end of our water balloon fight. "I should go home now," I said, "I need to change." I looked down on my white sundress. Why white?! 

I turned towards their gate when Chan Ho grabbed my wrist. "Wait! Before you go, I just want you to know that I had a lot of fun today. Thank you. Oh, and I want you to call me oppa from now on." I felt butterflies in my stomach. Oppa? 

"Okay," I smiled at him. 

Summer quickly passed and it was time for second term. Me and Chan Ho continued to talk and we became very good friends. My unrequited love with him also continued. 

Min Hee kept urging me to confess to him but I always shake my head and tell her, "Now's not the right time." But, although, to be quite honest, I wanted to confess to him really bad. 

__________________________________________

My Nerd Prince playlist:

Now playing: Jungkey- Alone 

__________________________________________

After giving it a long thought, I finally made a decision: I'll confess to him on the day before school ends for winter break. I patiently waited for the day. 

After a long-awaited wait, the last day of school finally came. I bravely walked up to him as he was about to leave the school. 

"Chan Ho oppa, I really like you. Will you please go out with me?" I looked at him hopeful eyes. Chan Ho chuckled and and looked down on the ground. "Mian, Mi Jin. I can't return your feelings." He looked at me with sad eyes then as if on cue, Kim Shin Yeong walked up to him, saying, "Oppa! Where are we going for our date today?" 

I felt as if an anvil dropped on me at that moment. Song Chan Ho and Kim Shin Yeong. . . are dating? I tried to register everything in my head but my thoughts became clouded as my tears started falling out of my eyes.

Chan Ho looked at me again, this time with a cold expression on his face. "Kang Mi Jin, you disgust me. No one will ever love you in your lifetime because you are really ugly. The only reason I became close with you was to find your weakness so I could top you in the class ranking." He spat.

"Yeah, Mi Jin's a loser and she'll always be one," Shin Yeong butted in. I felt more tears. "Now that I know that I'm your weakness, I'll use it against you. Expect your reputation to go down more than it already is after winter break. Kang Mi Jin, you are really pathetic." And with that, they left me alone with my tears.

I went home with a waterfall on my face that day. I kept telling myself how stupid I am for falling in love with a jerk. Cho Hee and the others came over and comforted me. For the rest of the winter break, I isolated myself in my room. There was only a week left before school resumed when I decided to turn over a new leaf. I told myself I would no longer be that pathetic Mi Jin that allowed herself to be bullied. All the anger that lingered inside me throughout all the years of being bullied finally found its way through the surface. I became a little rebellious. I got rid of my glasses and started wearing my contact lenses. I practiced doing the makeup that Min Hee put on my face on during the summer party. I found new ways to style my hair instead of having my natural straight hair all the time. 

I looked myself at the mirror before I went in the car. Now that's the Mi Jin I want to be. Cho Hee, Lina and Min Hee all gave me strange looks as we picked them up from their houses. "You look different today, Mi Jin," Min Hee commented. "I see you got rid of your glasses." 

When we got to school, my personality instantly changed. Instead of the kind and caring Mi Jin that Cho Hee others met, I became the evil queen that everyone knows now. 

That was how everything began. 

 

 

 

"Aish, don't remind me," Min Hee grumbled. 

"I hate that guy," Lina commented. 

"I wish we never met him," Cho Hee said quietly

"Why'd you ask?," Min Hee said. 

"Nothing, it's just that Sungyeol reminds me of him," I mumbled. My eyelids started drooping.

"How?," Lina asked.

"I don't know he just does," I replied.

Yah, Lee Sungyeol, you remind me too much of Song Chan Ho. You look similar. You're both popular at school. You're both smart. You're both cool.

I think I'm starting to like you. . .  

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

 Ayo waddup, naemiyoung in the house yo! *awkward silence* OTL I can't act cool *sobs* I just wanted to change my greeting every chapter, okay. I obviously failed LOL. Anyways, what'd you guys think of this chapter? This is the last part of Mi Jin and her best friends past. . . 

LOOL okay I lied. There's actually more to Mi Jin's story but she'll reveal them to Sungyeol later. You'll see what I mean when the time comes. Oh and by the way, Song Chan Ho, Lee Chi Hoon, Park Hyo Jin, Won Jong Jin and Kim Shin Yeong are all ulzzangs :3 They are just some of my favourite ulzzangs hahaha. Song Chan Ho is my ultimate ulzzang bias so I just HAD to use him lol. He has such a cute face >.< Sorry for turning him into a b*stard in my story. OTL sorry for my foul language. 

Subscribe and comment :)

 

P.S. What did you think of the ending? *wink wink*

P.P.S Sorry for starting this chapter off as cute and then ending it as an ugly mess

OTL