The First Encounter

My Nerd Prince [BACK FROM LONG HIATUS]

Once upon a time in a faraway kingdom, there lived a mighty princess and a lowly poor man. The man, despite being poor, was praised for his intelligence. People from afar came to him to ask for help with problems of all sorts. The princess, on the the other hand, was vain and selfish, but somehow the kingdom's people still acclaim her because of her stunning beauty. What will happen when these two people from different worlds meet?

Sungyeol 

 

6:00 am

​I looked up at the clock on the wall, and immediately, my head processed that it in two more hours my first day of my last year in high school would begin. Finally. With a timid smile plastered on my lips,  I dragged myself off the bed and into the washroom to freshen up. After about 10 minutes I went downstairs to enjoy a delicious breakfast before heading off to school. "Good morning!," my mom greeted cheerfully from the kitchen as I came down. "Good morning to you too, mom," nodding my head towards her direction.  

"Ready for your first day of school yet?," she asked as she put breakfast on the table. I rolled my eyes. "I'm already old enough. I don't need that 'ready for your first day of school' talk anymore." I grabbed two pieces of toast and put scrambled eggs on my plate. "Oh my, my son is growing up too fast. It only seems like yesterday you entered kindergarten." She smiled, reminiscing the memories. 

"That was a long time ago," I laughed as I grabbed a cup to pour milk in. "Well, have fun. And remember, I expect you to have high grades again this year." 

"Was there ever a school year when I didn't get high grades?," I asked sarcastically, knowing the answer all too well. "You're right," she laughed as she entered the kitchen again. I picked up my fork and started eating. 

Just then, heavy footsteps resonated from the stairs. Out came Daeyeol, still wrapped in his blankets. He rubbed his eyes. "Ugh, I woke up late," he said, taking a seat at the kitchen table. "Like that isn't a surprise. You always wake up late." I teased. He glared at me. "Calm down, Daeyeol." I backed away a bit. 

We all ate in peace for about 10 minutes when we got interrupted by the loud doorbell. Mom rushed to the door. "Oh, Myungsoo and Sungjong. You're here early."

"Well, it is the first day of school." Sungjong answered, his voice sounding as cheerful as ever, like he always does. "Come in. Sungyeol's still eating but he should be ready in about half an hour. Meanwhile, you could eat with us if you'd like." 

"Thanks, Mrs. Lee," Myungsoo and Sungjong thanked in unison. They came in and sat on the untaken chairs. I took in my last bite and got up from my chair. "I'm going to change now," I excused myself from the table. "You should probably hurry up too if you want to walk with them to school." Mom urged Daeyeol. He scowled at her but hurried anyways. He always has a bad temper during the mornings, I thought.

When I got up to my room I quickly changed into the standard school uniform for the boys, which consisted of navy blue pants, navy blue blazer, white button up, and a tie. After that, I went to the bathroom and brushed my teeth. When I came down everyone was already waiting by the door. Well, everyone except for my brother. I looked at the time; 7:25 am.

"Daeyeol, hurry up! I don't want to be late." I called out. "I'm coming. Just need to fix my hair," he said while walking down the stairs.

I snorted. "Since when did you start fixing you hair?" Daeyeol never bothered to fix his hair. Maybe for special occasions only but that's just about it. "Shut up! I just want to look nice for once, okay?!" I laughed. "Whatever." 

A minute later, Daeyeol came down. "Ready?" He nodded, and I opened the door. "Wait!" The shout coming from the kitchen made us stop in our tracks. "I forgot something to give to Sungyeol and Daeyeol." Just as we were about to leave mom races from the kitchen and stops in front of me and my brother. She pinched our cheeks and ruffled our hair. "Look at that. Both of my sons on their first day of school. Daeyeol starting high school. Sungyeol on the last year of high school. Time passes by too fast." She started crying. I laughed nervously and pat her back. "Aish, mom you're too emotional. Also you're embarrassing us." Daeyeol laughed and gave mom a hug. "You messed up my hair, mom," Daeyeol said, a hint of annoyance dripping around the edges of his voice, but he quickly rebounded by laughing once more. Everyone snickered. 

Mom gave us both a kiss on the cheek and sent us off to school. I looked at the time once again. 7:30 am. Right on time. I smiled. I hope this year will pass by quickly, I thought. 

"Hyung, how do you feel about our final year in high school?" My thoughts were suddenly interrupted by Sungjong's question. "Oh, I feel relieved actually. Just a few more months and we'll be able to graduate from this crappy school." 

Sungjong stared at me with unwrapped curiosity. "I don't understand? When we were in junior high you said this was your ideal high school. You said their academic program was among the best of the best in the district." I sighed. "It is. But that doesn't make up for fact that the student body is overrun by people that keep swarming to me for homework help. It gets really annoying sometimes," I complained. "You know, I'm starting to doubt their academic program. If it truly was one of the best, then why do people keep coming to for help? Aren't the teachers able to supplement their academic needs? I mean, I don't mind helping people, but ,you know, just wondering." We could only shrug to this seemingly puzzling situation. 

 We arrived at school at exactly 7:45. "Not too early and not too late. We're right on time." Everyone nodded. We all gathered towards the board where the classes are posted. A crowd had already gathered, and we stealthily made our way to the front "Hey, we're all in the same class yet gain," I informed Myungsoo and Sungjong, as I was the one nearest to the board. We exchanged hi-fives.

"What homeroom are you in, Daeyeol?" Sungjong asked. He peered at the board. "Um, I'm in A-3. Do you know who the teacher is?" A-3? Hey, isn't that Mrs. Park's class?  

Sungjong nudged me. Myungsoo gave me an alarmed look. The three instantly recognized the reason behind our alarmed expressions. "Why? What's wrong?" Daeyeol looked at us, eager to know the answer . "A-3 was our homeroom back when we were in the first year of high school," I explained. "the homeroom teacher's name is Mrs. Park. Let's just say our first year of high school is something we don't want to remember." We all nodded. 

"Why? Is she strict or something? Or perhaps, she's a bad teacher?" Daeyeol began to panic. "All of the above, I'm sad to say." We all nodded our heads solemnly. "Good luck to you buddy." Myungsoo patted his back. "I'm sure you'll survive," I said trying to assure him. Or maybe not, I muttered under my breath, suddenly remembering his atrocious study habits. Daeyeol's face turned pale. "It's time to go to our class." We parted ways. 

When we got our classroom almost half the class was already there. I took a spot towards the front while Myungsoo and Sungjong took spots towards the back. This was how we've always arranged ourselves in the classroom. I preferred the front because I can listen to the class lectures more attentively, as opposed to the back where most of the slackers place themselves to conceal the teacher's radar for people who sleep in class. Myungsoo and Sungjong happen to appreciate the back row seats, but not because they are slackers themselves. It's a matter of preference, as they had said. 

Mr. Shim, our homeroom teacher stood at the front of the class. "Ok, listen up! I will start handing out locks for the lockers. Go in by alphabetical order. I will give the locks to those not present right now later." Mr. Shim started listing our names. After about 5 minutes he finally called our names.

"Lee Sungjong"

 

"Lee Sungyeol" 

"We're always together, hyung." Sungjong laughed. "Because our family name is both Lee." I smiled. We filed out the class as Mr. Shim gave our locks. "Lee Sungyeol, locker number 500." I walked out the classroom and looked for locker number 500.

"Over here, hyung." Sungjong waved his arms from the other side of the hallway. Why is it so far?, I thought. I walked over to my locker and dropped off all my belongings. I went back to the classroom a short while later. The school bell rang shortly after. Everyone filed in quietly. Mr. Shim started explaining all the school and class rules. The rules are the same for every class, no matter what grade. I don't understand why they must repeat it every year.

"Take out your notebooks. You're going to write down your class schedule right now." Mr. Shim ordered. I looked down to my desk and gasped in horror. I had forgotten my notebook in my locker. I raised my hand to get Mr. Shim's attention. "I forgot my notebook in my locker. May I go get it quickly?" Mr. Shim nodded. "Hurry up." 

I rushed to my locker and took out my notebook and a couple of pens. I hurriedly went towards the classroom. I was a few feet away from the door when I realized I bumped into someone. I looked down to the person sprawled on the floor. "Watch out where you're going!" The girl gave me an loathsome glare. I bent down and reached my hand out to help her. She slapped it away. "Don't you dare touch me! You already ruined my hair." I stared at her. "Um, it still looks okay," I said trying to convince her. 

"Whatever! I was already late and you just had to bump into me. Now, I'm even going to be late because I have to fix my hair." She hissed at me then went towards the washroom. I turned towards the classroom. Wow,  she seems difficult?  

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Edited: 7/20/13

Hey guys, naemiyoung here :3 

I just finished editing chapter 1, so there's 21 more chapters to go before I start writing chapter 23 ^^

(my writing here is really lackluster because i wrote it over a year ago OTL. I wanted to give it a full-blown retouch up, but this is all I can do for now) 

OH YEA AHAHA HAVE YOU GUYS NOTICED? IT'S BEEN A WHOLE YEAR SINCE I  STARTED THIS FIC WOOOO! 

but im still nowhere near finishing it hahah