Rumours

My Nerd Prince [BACK FROM LONG HIATUS]

"Hey, did you hear about what happened between Mi Jin and Sungyeol yesterday during Sports Festival?"

"Of course! In fact, the whole school knows about it. Mi Jin's reputation is going down the drain."

"Hah, finally gets what she deserves."

"I'm still confused though, why Sungyeol out of all the enormous amount of guys in the school?"

"I can't believe I'm saying this but I totally agree with you! From what I know, I'm pretty sure she's fully capable of getting any guy she wants so why a nerd?"

I wasn't eavesdropping. The crowd of girls near my locker were just talking too loud so I can't help but overhear their conversation. But now I must say, I am curious to what they're talking about. People don't usually put my name and Mi Jin's name in the same sentence together unless they're talking about tutoring lessons. And that's pretty much it. I mean, let's face it. Mi Jin and I belong in totally different worlds and we naturally don't mix. Although to be honest, Mi Jin's bitter personality somehow magically disappears whenever we do our tutoring lessons (except for those times when I take her phone away). I guess I have a good influence on her? I don't understand it myself. Mi Jin is still a complete mystery to me. 

I closed my locker. "Hyung! What happened?!" I turned around and saw Sungjong running towards me. "What do you mean what happened?," I asked, curious. Sungjong raised his eyebrows at me. "How can you not know what happened? The whole school's talking about it and for goodness' sake you're one of the two people that's involved." 

Now it's my turn to raise my eyebrows. "Huh?" "Omg are you an old man? Is your memory already deteriorating? It just happened yesterday. Well, that's what everyone is saying." I looked at Sungjong blankly. I clearly still do not know what he's saying. Sungjong sighed loudly and led me to a corner. 

"Ok apparently, Mi Jin asked you out yesterday and you rejected her. So then, she went into a fit of rage and started going ballistic around you," Sungjong stopped talking. He looked breathless. 

I blinked. Then I blinked again. I felt a laugh coming up my throat but I restricted it. Pretty soon, I was laughing uncontrollably. Stifling laughter is never a good thing, I concluded. 

Sungjong looked at me nervously. "W-what's wrong?" "Think again to what date it was yesterday," I managed to say in between laughs. He looked at me questioningly but answered anyways. "April 1 duh. Today is April 2." "And what is April 1 again?," I asked, holding in my stomach from laughing too much. "A date?" "NO!" I'm still laughing my heart out. "April Fools Day?" By this time, I was starting to calm down. 

"Right you are, my friend. It was only a prank. And besides why would Mi Jin ask me to be her boyfriend when she doesn't even like me?" "Ah, I see." Sungjong nodded his head, finally getting a grasp of the situation. "But there's something I don't get. How did anyone find out about this?" My expression changed in a split second. "That's what I want to know," I said quietly. 

The bell rang and Sungjong and I hurried to homeroom. Everyone's eyes turned towards us as we opened the door. I went to my seat. "Hey, Sungyeol good job! That evil queen finally got what she deserved," a girl named Suji, a classmate, said to me as I sat down. I raised my eyebrows at her but she just gave me smile. I rolled my eyes and took out my books. Another person came up to me. This time, it's a boy.

"Sungyeol, man what were you thinking? You should've accepted Mi Jin's confession. I heard she gives good 'service'. I'm so jealous of you right now." I eyed him warily. "Service?," I asked. The boy just gave me a goofy smile and said, "Oh right, you're a nerd. You're not into those kinds of things. Oh well, you'll know what I mean when the time comes. Or maybe not." He laughed and went back to his seat.

A loud and angry BANG was suddenly heard in the classroom. Everyone's heads turned towards the source, which happened to be door, and standing there was Mi Jin with flaring eyes that could burn the whole school down. "WHO THE SPREAD THOSE RUMOURS?!" 

It seemed like everyone shrank in their seats and pretended to do something, like fiddling with their I.D.'s, while giving an effort to look innocent. But it was no use. Mi Jin was rampaging around the room, swearing like there's no tomorrow. No one could stop her. Or rather, no one attempted to. I wanted to though. But even I know better than to intecept her when she's in the middle of being Godzilla.

It wasn't even until Mr. Shim came in the room that she was somewhat able to calm down. Half an hour later, she was sent to the principal's office. We resumed lessons then. We already wasted half the class so Mr. Shim just told us to work on our workbooks. The whole class was quiet and even Mr. Shim was surprised. The class is almost never quiet. The only ones capable of making us mute for a temporary amount of time was, well, Mr. Shim and Mi Jin. 

Yeah.

The bell rang, dismissing first period. Mr. Shim stood up for the ten minute break before second period begins and so did everyone else. The room was bustling with noise once again. I stayed in my seat and Sungjong and Myungsoo came over. "Man, that was nerve-wracking," Myungsoo complained. I took a deep breath. "Yeah, I agree. By the way, you do know that Mi Jin-" Myungsoo cut me off. "Sungjong already told me." I sighed in relief. "Good." I mouthed thank you to Sungjong. He nodded. 

The doors opened once again. Everyone was too caught up with their own thing that they failed to notice who was standing there. It wasn't until that person gave a loud -and quite intimidating too- 'ahem' that everyone finally noticed. It was Mi Jin. Everyone became quiet once again and they scurried to their seats. 

The three of us were frozen in our spot. Mi Jin was making her way to her seatt which was right beside mine. By this time, we were practically statues. Mi Jin sat down and mumbled under her breath, "God, how much I hate this school." She turned towards us and her eyes softened. Then she laughed. 

"What's wrong?," I asked nervously. "Why do you guys look like as if you've seen a ghost?," Mi Jin snorted. "Oh right. It's me." She laughed again. "Sorry. You know how I am. Loosen up, will you? I know it's not you guys who spread those stupid rumours." Almost instantaneously, the three of us let out a sigh of relief. Mi Jin laughed once again.

"Ok, listen. I want to know who started this. Don't worry, the principal already gave me scolding so I won't do anything rash this time. Will you help me? Please?" She looked at us puppy-dog eyes. Well, she attempted to anyways. I would say that she doesn't exactly look "cute" but at least an effort was seen. I stared at her for quite a long time and I finally concluded that her intentions mean no harm. I finally agreed. 

She gave a small cheer. "I'll talk over this at lunch then. You can go sit with us. You probably know where we sit right?" I nodded. Sungjong and Myungsoo nodded as well. The bell rang for second period and everyone sat down.

The rest of the morning dragged by. After two hours of being stuck in my seat the bell finally rang for lunch. Everyone hurriedly got out of their seats and went towards the door. I gathered all my belongings. When I started walking down the crowded hallway, it suddenly parted and everyone else was on the sidelines and I was the only one walking down. It honestly felt like I was a god. 

I looked around, confused. Huh? Why is this suddenly happening? I scratched my head and looked around. There were some people that were giving me dirty looks and some were looking me with a beaming face. It was mostly the guys that were flashing me dirty looks and the girls that were giving me sweet smiles. 

I rushed to my locker and took my things out as fast as I can. I'm starting to feel comfortable. I ran down the cafeteria and my eyes frantically searched for Mi Jin's table. "Hey, why do you look, uh, sweaty?," Mi Jin asked as soon as I went towards them. "Something weird is happening. Guys are giving me dirty looks and girls are smiling at me. For the first time!" Everyone at the table laughed. A bit too loud, I might add. "It's the stupid rumour's fault." Mi Jin probably meant to say it seriously but her laughter constricted her to do so. "Ah, I get it. The guys are jealous and the girls are thankful because I rejected you?" Mi Jin nodded vigorously. 

Myungsoo and Sungjong slipped in the table. "Why are the girls laughing?," Myungsoo asked. I shook my head. "Nothing." After a few minutes Mi Jin finally calmed down. "Anyway, we are all gathered her today for a reason." The playful expression she had a while ago had vanished and instead replaced by a serious one. "I want to find the person who spread the rumours." Her eyebrows furrowed up.

"But how?," I asked. "with the enormous amount of students in this school it'd be next to impossible to find the person." "I don't care whether it takes a days, weeks or months. I just want to find the person and punish them." Beside me, Myungsoo snickered. "Don't you think you hold on to grudges for too long?," he mumbled. "Yah!" Mi Jin glared at him. He backed away slowly. "I'm sorry but it's true." Cho Hee tapped him. "It's best not to agitate her. Especially right now." He scowled at her. "Whatever." I rolled my eyes.

"Here's what we're going to do. First, I'm going to ask each and every one of you tell me who you heard the rumour from. Then we're going to ask the person where you heard it from where they heard it from. Do you guys understand?" Everyone on the table tilted their heads to the side. "Huh?" Mi Jin sighed. "Ok, let's do this again. Wait, you know what I'll just be straightforward and we'll figure out the rest later." 

I'm still confused but I nodded anyway. "Ok, Sungyeol where did you hear it from?" I pointed towards Sungjong. She turned towards Sungjong who pointed to Myungsoo. "I heard them from a bunch of girls in our class." What's their names?" He scowled at her. "Do I really need to?" "YES!" Myungsoo then said the names of three girls. I think they're the same girls that were talking near my locker earlier this morning. 

"I want you to find them right now and ask them where they heard the rumour from." Myungsoo sighed. "Why should I? I'm too lazy to stand up right now so what makes you think I would be willing to find them?" I could tell Mi Jin was trying really hard not to burst. "Yah, what's wrong with you? You weren't like this yesterday." Myungsoo shrugged. "I was in it for the free ice cream." 

Mi Jin was practically shooting deadly beams at him. Luckily, Cho Hee sensed it and volunteered to help Myungsoo. "Thank you, Cho Hee." They left immediately. From the corner of my eyes, I saw Cho Hee slapping Myungsoo repeatedly on the arms and he just kept grinning mischievously. 

After five minutes, Mi Jin finished asking everyone else on the table. "Okay, I want everyone to go back here in half an hour and report to me what you found out. We still have an hour left so we have plenty of time. Arasso?" "Aye aye, Captain!" Lina and Sungjong said and ran off laughing. I got partnered up with Min Hee and Mi Jin went alone. I think that would've been better anyways.

"So, uh, where did you hear the rumour from?," I asked Min Hee as soon as Mi Jin left the table to find the culprit behind all this. Min Hee looked at me sideways and she had a curious look on her face. I raised my eyebrows. "Wait, wait. Before I answer your question you have to answer mine first." I looked at her blankly. "Did Mi Jin really confess to you yesterday?" 

I looked at her with an are-you-serious look. "Obviously. It was only a prank." She looked at me with doubt in her eyes. "Whatever. Anyway, I heard the rumour from this girl in my class. She has a big mouth and she's usually the first one to know about any rumours or juicy gossip. You know, the kind that doesn't know how to keep their mouth shut." I nodded my head. "Well then, where is she?" She pointed to one of the tables near the entrance of the cafeteria. "Let's go then."

Half an hour later, we found everyone else on the table. "Mi Jin, this is hopeless," I heard Lina and Sungjong complain. "Shush your mouths," she looked at them warningly. "So, did anyone find anything?" Judging by the look on everyone's faces, I would say no one found even a single trace of the culprit. Mi Jin sighed. "We still have another half an hour left. So please-" Min Hee tried to protest. "But Mi Jin-" Mi Jin stomped her foot down. "PLEASE!" Her tone was angry but for some reason the expression on her face was vulnerable. 

Min Hee stared at her for a while. She sighed and nodded. "Fine." Everyone scrambled off their seats and got to work immediately. They clearly did not want to face Mi Jin's wrath. 

Min Hee and I were the last ones at the table once again. We were discussing the possibilities as to who could be the culprit. "I think it's that boy Oh Sehun from the other class. There was this time when he asked her out in grade 10 but she rejected him. He could still have a grudge on her?," Min Hee suggested. I shook my head. "That's not possible. I talked to him a few times last year since he was in my class and he once said he has a girlfriend. In fact, I think they're still together. I see them together in the halls together a lot."

Min Hee snapped her fingers. "Oh. Damn, that boy's cute. He was on my stalk list." I glared at her. Min Hee bulged her eyes at me. "What? Don't judge me!" I rolled my eyes. "Anyway, as I was saying, it couldn't possibly him. He was at the volleyball court yesterday when Mi Jin and I went to get water. He was one of the players so there's no way he could have heard our conversation." Min Hee considered this. "Then how about-" She got interrupted because of a large group of rowdy boys entering the cafeteria.

Min Hee groaned. "Ugh, they're so loud," she complained. She tried to start again but the group started making their way to the empty table next to us. "Man, I feel so bad for Mi Jin. It's your stupid fault," I heard one of them say. I looked over to Min Hee to see if she heard. She showed no signs of ever hearing the two sentences. 

"Can we move?," Min Hee asked. I shook my head. "Wait, I heard one of them say Mi Jin and 'your fault' in the same sentence," I leaned over to her and whispered. "So? It could mean anything you know," Mi Hee whispered with a tinge of annoyance in her voice. "Or it could lead to who the culprit is," I stated. 

We stayed still in our seats and pretended we were having a conversation to look like we weren't eavesdropping in on the other table. We listened to their conversations about videogames they've played, their current girlfriends and they've recently watched (ewww! Min He and I had to cover our ears for that one). It wasn't even a while before Mi Jin's name was heard. Min Hee already gave up eavesdropping them and I was close to giving up as well. But the moment I heard her name being said from one of their mouths my ears instantly perked up and I nudged Min Hee, who was busy filing her nails. 

"Oh you guys have heard about Mi Jin's rumour right?"

"Yeah man. The whole school knows. You must live under a rock if you haven't heard about it." 

"Or you're just oblivious." 

"Well, yeah I guess so."

"But that was still kind of mean wasn't it? I feel bad."

"Yah, who's stupid mouth was it that started blabbering about it?"

"Why are you guys blaming me? It's your fault for telling me too. You know I can't keep a secret. And besides, It's partially everyone's fault spreading it and turning it completely different from the original story."

"How'd you find out about it again?" 

"Well, I was in the music room getting some things since they keep some sports equipment in the storage at the back when suddenly I heard someone playing the piano. It sounded really pretty so I took a peek. When I saw that it was Mi Jin, I became really surprised and scared so I stayed in my spot but then Sungyeol appeared and then you know, she confessed. It was an April Fools prank though." 

I decided I heard enough and I immediately stood up and stomped my way to their table. Min Hee disappeared behind me, her face red with anger. "So it was you?" I tried to say it as calmly as I could. "Yeah so?," one of the guys said. "Wait until Mi Jin hears about this. She will never forgive you for doing such careless actions." A bunch of guys started laughing. "We're not scared of her. We're not scared of anyone. Besides, Mi Jin deserves it." I shook my head disapprovingly. "I don't think you know what you're saying. You don't know what she's capable of." More laughter was heard. "Why are you defending her? She's such a anyway," one of them mumbled. 

"WHAT DID YOU SAY?" A voice boomed behind me. I looked back. It was Mi Jin. 

What happened after Mi Jin appeared was all a big blur. However, I do remember the group of guys bowing for forgiveness in front of Mi Jin (I think I saw some of the guys crying) and standing on the table to declare to everyone the misunderstandings about the rumour. What happened in between those, I don't remember. And I don't want to remember to be honest.  

By the end of the day, everyone stopped talking about Mi Jin's rumour. Well, mostly everyone. I still heard a few people talking about it but it's a good thing that the rumours cleared up. Everyone simply got bored of it the moment those guys begged for forgiveness from Mi Jin. Everything also went back to normal. Tsk tsk what ever happened to the sweet smiles the girls were giving me earlier in the day? 

I finished packing up my belongings and headed down from the third floor to the school gates. I saw Myungsoo, Sungjong and Daeyeol sitting by the flower beds in front of the school. I gave them a small nod and they immediately stood up and started walking with me. As we passed by the school gates, we saw Mi Jin, Cho Hee, Min Hee and Lina standing quietly together. All we had to was look at each other and we burst into laughter. The events that happened today were definitely something we won't forget easily. Yes, they were frustrating but in the end they got resolved and there's nothing else we could but laugh about it. 

Daeyeol looked at us, puzzled. "What's going on?," he asked, scratching his head. "I'll tell you later, little bro," I said and ran away lauging along with Myungsoo and Sungjong. 

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hey guys, naemiyoung here :3 LOL whatever happened to updating every weekend? OTL I'm really sorry guys but I had a ton of homeowork to do. I recently just got into high school and omg i'M creYING (ノД`)・゜・。They give us homeowork every single day ugh. So that explains why I haven't updated at all for a whole month. I'll try to make up for it though. I'll write the chapters in class so that I'll just type it later lawl.

See you guys in the next chapter

 image

P.S. sorry if the last few paragraphs don't make sense. I typed it up at 2 in the morning and I was really tired ahahaha. I'll see if I can edit it later.