Harder Than We Ever Know...

TWO OF US
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

  

Feeling rather light-headed and more than a little stupid, Taeyeon looked down the floor. By now, she wasn’t sure who the of the joke was, but she sorely hoped it wasn’t her. Clearly this entire thing was messing with her mind and driving her crazy. And she was worried, although she tried to tell herself there was little reason to be.

     “I’m such a fool.”

Taeyon blurted. Sunny sat up ramrod straight and turned to stare at her.

    “What did you say?”

Taeyeon reddened furiously, and looked hard at a cup of vanilla ice-cream she was eating.

   “I’m cool, I mean as long as I can finish eating this.”

“That’s not what you said, Tae.”

Sunnys’ voice took on an edge that Taeyeon didn’t like. Taeyeon wouldn’t meet her gaze.

    “Nothing. That’s not what I meant. I meant that I want some more of the coolness of the ice-cream.”

She mumbled, but inside she was panicking like mad. Oh no, that would kill her!

   Although not if her best friend did first, and from the way Sunny was looking at her, Taeyeon was worried that this was a real possibility. Sunny was silent for a moment, then she spoke again.

 “Tae, there’s something going on here that I don’t know about, isn’t there?”

  Taeyeon’s eyes were glued to the melting ice-cream. “No”

“Come on, Tae.”

   “She has, honestly.” Taeyeon’s lip trembled.

“Look, I don’t know why I said that but…about Tiffany, I mean.” Taeyeon slightly paused. Sunny nodded her head slowly with a look hopefully Taeyeon would finish her words.

 “So, that mean, I don’t know something. My guess is right.”

“I’m sorry. Of course.” Taeyeon soothed.

 “But is there any chance I could order some food?” She asked pointedly.

      “I’m actually quite hungry.” She added. Sunny raised a grin but said nothing. She gave Taeyeon a look that said she wasn’t quite convinced that her dorky best friend was okay. Sunny glanced across and felt the weight of her best friend’s perplexed look, something she’d last seen when Taeyeon’s car had a flat and she’d admitted she didn’t know how to change a tyre.

A couple of very long minutes passed during which Taeyeon noticed the music coming from the jukebox. People were filling in. Sunny felt diminished, as if all the great plans she had in mind had suddenly been bundled in the palm on her hand and inadvertently dropped and stepped upon.

“Look, I’m not trying to say that the way you’re handling this is wrong.” Sunny began, her tone suddenly serious.

“I just think you need to figure out what on earth you’re doing and why. Anyway, what’s truly happening here? You’re usually the chatterer and the loudest one and now you’ve got me being touchy-feely-thinky one.  I don’t do this. I save it for my script writing. So, just get all this sorted so we can get back to our normal roles here, yes?”

“Why must you start out our formality? I really hate when you say something like ‘normal roles’. What the hell is that?”

“Actually, I’m not even saying that’s the right thing to do. Get yourself back. Yeah. Just make sure it’s really what you want. I know you’re anxious about them. Don’t fool yourself into thinking you’re on some sort of timeline- there should be no race to finish when it comes to something like this.”

Sunny paused for a moment.

“Don’t be afraid to take your time; make sure it’s what you both want, and for the right reasons.”

 Taeyeon smirked.

“It’ll be only me.”

Sunny in turn set her glass on the varnished wooden table and gave the waitress a nod for a bill.

    “Thanks for the advice, but speaking of time-“ Taeyeon gulped down half of the newly poured fresh orange juice, and set the glass purposefully on the table.

“I’d better go.” She checked the time on her watch; it was after six thirty.

“And if you need any help sorting out the other thing,” Sunny said- referring, Taeyeon suspected, to her feelings- “Give me a bell”

 Taeyeon raised a smile. “Will do.”

As Taeyeon turned to go, she felt something at the edge of her heart. It was that feeling again, but now it was accentuated by Sunny’s comment about taking her time. Time was exactly what she didn’t have. If she could just make a decision, some sort of decision, and act on it…

Yes, that’s what she needed. She noticed on her wrist the bracelet Sunny had given her. She remembered the quote and mumbled it to herself.  ‘She loved her with too clear a vision to fear her cloudiness.’

  “No, nothing to fear here.” She said, driving her car towards home.

******

     Tiffany would stay the night and Yuri would make sure she knew exactly how she felt about her. 

In the safety of her bedroom, Yuri fretted out about what had happened and a knot of worry settled into the pit of her stomach. She’d ruined everything, hadn’t she? She stood by the window and looked out across the garden. Why, oh why did she have to get herself confused?

Suddenly realizing she was being silly, she shook her head, trying to make the stupid thoughts go away.

    “Yuri.” Exclaimed a voice behind her, and Yuri turned her head to see Madam Kahi standing in the doorway of her bedroom, smiling at her.

“Yoona, Sooyoung and Hyoyeon are here.” Yuri smiled and she made her way out from her room to see her best friends immediately.

    “I hope you didn’t mind our arriving unannounced.” Yoona spoke out.

    “Not at all; it’s lovely to see you guys here.”

       “Have a seat.”

Sooyoung smiled easily and took the seat opposite.

    “How are you doing, buddy? We’re totally empty when you’re not around.”

“As you see me right now, I’m doing fine.” Yuri smiled. Yoona pulled her shoulder and hugged it. She had been missing Yuri.

“Good to hear that. Um…by the way, where’s your sister?” Hyoyeon spoke out after she took the first sip of the hot tea.

“My sister? Um…she’s in her room.” Yuri’s heart lifted. Bingo! She blushed furiously. Yuri felt deflated. Hell! On second thoughts, perhaps she should have been more specific instead of trying to catch them out.

She would be kicking herself now, as she’d felt herself really wanted to see Tiffany on her eyes. Then she quickly shook herself out of her stupor, realizing that Hyoyeon had unknowingly given her the perfect opportunity to raise the subject. All she needed to do was explain the situation, and she could be on her way.

But for some reason, mostly down to Yoona’s beaming, radiant expression, Yuri just couldn’t get the words out.

Noticing Yoona giving her a speculative look, she squirmed uncomfortably; worried that she might be betraying herself. 

 

Yoona was silent. “Yes, I can see that Yuri.” Yuri screwed up her face and gave her an awkward smile.  Sooyoung and Hyoyeon were astonished and pleased and wary all at the time.

“Thanks for coming,anyway. I’m missing you guys so much.” Yuri’s voice came out from the short silent.

“That’s not big deal, Yul. You’re our best friend.” Sooyoung whined.

Yuri felt a huge wave of relief. Her mind was thinking at the embarrassing incident last night. It was because one of her best friends was mentioned the person in their conversation.

 

******

*Door knocking*

Tiffany took a deep breath as she opened the door. She couldn’t understand why she was so nervous.  Her hand was already holding the door knob. She drew in a deep breath and steeled her nerves. She could get through this. Still, there was a side of her that wished she had a power to be invisible. From what she remembered of Yuri at the scene of the ‘accident’, she was rather shy and feeling smaller, and she could do with some brawn on her side if things got messy.

Oh well, too late now…

She sneaked her head out slowly and she was racing with an excitement.

“Madam Kahi?”  The innocent girl invited Madam Kahi to enter her room.

“Are you in the middle of something?”

“Anio. I’m was just enjoying listening to the music. Wae?”

“Oh, I see. Actually, Yuri’s friends are down there. They’re visiting Yuri. Why don’t you go down and join them talking?”

Tiffany looked thoughtfull.

“I can imagine if I’ll get down there.”  She knew exactly how it went. The more pints that went down, the more reminiscing there would be. But it always was there Yoona and the other girls were concerned. Still, she supposed she couldn’t be too annoyed; what with the incident and the injuries, she’d had a tough time of it recently.

“Is it because of…Yuri?” Madam Kahi blurted. Tiffany went hasted but she struggled to hide the haste to be seen by Madam Kahi. But it was too late since Madam Kahi happened to know everything.

“Um…n-ne..” Tiffany looked down as she hugged her Totoro doll.

Tiffany frowned. “Would it not seem a little…weird, though?”

Madam Kahi broke into laughter. “Well, for what it’s worth, I think you should go.” Madam Kahi insisted. Tiffany gave her anxiety look to the middle-aged woman.

“Why don’t you go, then?” Madam Kahi insisted once again.

“Because none of this has anything to do with me. Plus I kind of get the impression that she’s spoken for.” Tiffany’s lip trembled. Half of her side was regretting upon the words that she had said.

“Really? Why do you say that?”

“I’m…I’m not sure; it’s just a hunch.” Tiffany grinned. 

“Tiffany, Tiffany. I can easily read your mind. That’s not what you meant. Don’t lie, honestly, listen to yourself. Yuri is a kind girl actually. Soon you will know her better and deeper. She was just upset. And until now she’s still the hard bitten Yuri I’ve ever known.”

“I feel confuse. I hadn’t thought about it really. I don’t know.” Tiffany replied. She deadened her intentions to tell something to Madam Kahi.

 

******

Two hours later…

“Yul, I think we’d better go home now. It’s already past ten.”  Sooyoung said.  Yuri looked up.

“Yes. You still have to get rest well.” Yoona spoke.

“See you next Monday, Yul. Good night.” Hyoyeon said.

“Okay. Thank you for coming. See you guys next Monday.” Yuri replied. The two girls went out from the doorway except Yoona.

“You’re not leaving yet?” Yuri questioned. She turned her back from facing Yoona. Yoona walked closer towards Yuri and back hugged her. Yuri was taken aback. Yoona tighten her hug. Yuri lifted her hand and held Yoona’s hand.

“Yoona?” Yuri was feeling awkward. She started to hear the sobbing.

“Yoona-ah, what’s wrong with you?” Yuri tried to free herself from the hug.

******

As Tiffany walked into the living room she looked around. But she didn’t see either of them there. Maybe they were already leaving. Tiffany grew her step further and she saw Yoona’s back. She was hugging someone and it was Yuri.

 

(Background music is played: Try to listen to this amazing piece from Yiruma, ‘Falling’. )

“Yuri-ah, I’m sorry for everything.” Yoona cried.

“Yoona…why do you say that? Sorry for what?” Yuri was getting astonished.

Yoona didn’t answer.

“Yuri-ah,…”

“Yes?”

“Saranghae…”

 

Yuri was silent at a moment. She released herself slowly from Yoona’s hug and facing the girl. Yoona looked down. She lifted Yoona’s chin and saw the tears on her cheek.

     “Why are you crying like this?” Yuri wiped off the crystal fluid on Yoona’s face with her thumb. Yoona stared deeply into her eyes.

“Because I love you…you’re my everything.” Yoona whispered in her cries. Yuri ran a hand through Yoona’s long straight hair and felt her eyes fall gently shut as she thought about many years she had spent since they were kids.

     “It’s my own fault. I was miles away.” Yuri pulled her closer and put Yoona into her embrace. She was completely out of her depth.

“You’re being way too hard on yourself.” Yuri tightened the hug. Yoona was in comfortable silent.

       “Unnie…”

Tiffany’s eyes glued to the two best friends who was in each other’s embrace. She wondered if she could tell herself to wait any longer.  Wracked with heaviness, she berated herself being so care-free and happy when her poor heart was lying here in agony. She stopped thinking and rebuked herself for being negative, especially when she was usually so good at focusing on the positive. Maybe she just was so caught off guard by Yuri’s intentions that it had really thrown her for a loop.

      “I-I love you too, Yoona. I do.  I mean, I…” she stammered, recognizing the Freudian slip in those two words.

“I mean, I do love you- my best friend.” Yuri smiled and gently rested her hand on the side of Yoona’s face.

“Honestly, I don’t like this- I mean…when you cry.” Yuri said. Yoona wiped off the remained tears on her cheek. She slowly stretched her lips into a smile. Yuri then gave her another warm smile. Yoona looked away with her embarrassment which was filling over her emotions. Yuri patted on her head gently. Yoona felt soothed.

   “Yaahh..stop it. I’m going to smack you if you won’t stop the tears.” Yuri warned. Yoona suddenly broke into laughter. If she had to be stubborn, she would receive the smack from Yuri. That was usually to make Yoona to be firm once again after being down or crying.

          “You should go home, Yoong. It’s already too late. Your mum might get worried.”

    “Okay. Yuri-ah, I’m leaving.”

   “Let me accompany you out.”

Yuri grabbed her wrist and they walked out from the doorway. Tiffany left the living room when the two girls were already outside. 

     "Yuri-ah, goodbye." Yuri managed to flash a smile. At least her best friend would feel a bit okay. 

******

 

A sunbeam streamed in through the window, dazzling her momentarily, and she rooted around in her bag for a pair of shades. She had also forgotten how much longer the days were up in summer. It was still in August 2008 and just coming up to seven o’clock. The morning sky was so amazing and she really admired the day.

As Tiffany ran her hand through her long straight hair, her thoughts was filled by the scene that she had seen last two days.

“Saranghae? What on earth does that mean?”

Then, she took her pinky comb and started to comb her hair from the to

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter