Chapter three.

Meet the silence

   Hyukjae couldn't believe his luck. He got out of his car and dashed to the door of the house he was hoping to finally meet the stranger in. His heart was beating like mad with excitement. He stood in front of the door, took a deep breath in order to calm down his nerves and pressed the doorbell. He heard a gentle ringing sound behind the door and, after a few seconds, hurried footsteps. Then a sound of unlocking reached his ears and he stopped breathing for a moment, until the door finally opened and the 'checkout boy' appeared in front of Hyukjae.

    The boy seemed to be too shocked to make any move, he simply stood in the doorway and stared at his unexpected guest. Hyukjae decided it was his only chance.
"Good afternoon, nice to see you again." he gained confidence, smiled lightly and went on his greeting, a long stream of words flowing from his mouth.
 "You remember me, right? I know you are surprised to see me here, but I am actually very glad to see you, because right then, at the supermarket, you were probably in a hurry and we didn't get the chance to talk at all and I feel like - I don't even know why, but... Would you like to be my friend? I trully wish we could get to know each other better and-" he paused to take a breath, when the boy, resigned, stepped aside and motioned for Hyukjae to come in. Hesistantly, he followed the guy's hand and went into the boy's house.

    Hyukjae looked around.
"Oh, it's really nice in here!" he exclaimed. "Nice wallpapers, and the carpet... Really fluffy! You know, My flatmate Heechul is allergic to dust so he refused to have such carpets. To be honest, I envy you. Such a big place, neatly furnished and all... Our flat is nothing compared to your house." Hyukjae babbled, taking his shoes off, unaware of what the owner of the house did behind is back.
"Can I just leave my shoes here? I mean- I hope it won't be...- hey, why won't you answer me?"

    Hyukjae paused and turned around, hearing some searching noises, then a rustle of turning pages. The boy stood there, holding a pencil and some kind of notebook. Hyukjae felt silent, eyeing the boy curiously, when the latter was urgently scribbling some words on the paper. When he finished, he turn the notebook towards Hyukjae, who read the message and for the first time in his life, didn't find any words to express what he felt in that moment.

I am Lee Donghae. Nice to meet you.
Thank you for your help at the supermarket.
I don't usually answer questions.
Actually, I never answer questions,
I am mute.


    Then, as Hyukjae stood there not knowing what to say or do, the doorbell rang again. Donghae torn his eyes away from him, put the notebook aside and opened the door. There stood a tall, handsome, black-haired and big-eyed guy who smiled at the boy in front of him widely. "Hello, Donghae" he whispered..
The other man (Hyukjae couldn't call him a boy, he looked so mature and it just didn't sound right) hugged Donghae, asking him about his day. Hyukjae watched Donghae singning vividly in responce to his second guest, who nodded and smiled gently.

    Hyukjae coughed, having partially regained his composture. The newcomer looked at him, seeming a bit surprised to see someome behind his friend. After a while he smiled and reached his hand out. "I am Choi Siwon, Donghae's friend. And you are?"
"H-hyukjae" he uttered, shaking Siwon's hand. "I met Donghae at the supermarket three days ago. I came here to get to know him better"
    He felt like some teenager, giving excuses to his parent. He hated that feeling.
"Oh, Donghae told me about the whole situation. He-"
Hyukjae choked. "He TOLD you?"
"Oh, I mean wrote about it to me. In a text message. And then signed, to add more details. But I'm not an expert in reading sign language, so... Anyways, nice to meet you." He turned his gaze towards Donghae. " I'm really glad that you decided to open up a little, Donghae, and not just spend your time with me" he laughed. "In that case, I'll text you later and leave you two alone for now. Have fun, guys!" and Siwon exited the hallway they were still standing in. It was as though he was never here in the first place.

   The tension between two guys left became slightly horrifying. Donghae sighed and took his notebook again.

Want some tea?
He imitated raising the glass and drinking with questioning look.

"Hmm." Hyukjae nodded. He followed the other on his way to the kitchen.
   
   Well, Hyukjae. You wanted challenge? Here you go, he thought. And although the knowledge about Donghae scared the hell out of his , there was hope deep in his heart. Mute or not, Donghae still
could listen to him talking and he felt like there would be many, many things that he would like to tell him about.
 



A/n: Believe me guys, it took forever to write this. But here it is! Let me know what you think about it, would you? ;) Comment a lot! Speak up, ok? In following chapters I will include Donghae's story and then hopefully everything will be clear. Love you all! <3