Chapter twenty one.

Meet the silence

   Hyukjae stood alone on the sidewalk waiting for the light to turn green so that he could cross the wide street and run to Donghae to give him a welcome hug. The next moment the younger noticed Hyukjae and smiled at him, raising his hand which was holding a bag filled with (from what Hyukjae could see) two sweet doughnuts. Hyukjae smiled back and glanced at the traffic lights. The little human figurine lit up green, Hyukjae turned his eyes back to Donghae and step out of the pavement.

It all hapened within a few seconds.
 

   Donghae's eyes suddenly weren't smiling anymore. They were wide in horror as he looked to his left and spotted something that clearly terrified him. All painful memories came back within seconds. Jessica. The street. The truck. Hyukjae. HYUKJAE. Not again, never!
 

   There, on Hyukjae's right was a similar truck, driving much faster than it should. It didn't stop at the crossing and ignored the red light. Hyukjae furrowed his brows, not knowing why Donghae looked so scared.
 

   The younger started signing to him vividly, frantically, showing him to stop. But Hyukjae kept walking slowly, not understanting the situation, not noticing the car, not seeing the reason for Donghae's panic. Donghae started to run to him, pointing to his left.
 

   So Hyukjae looked to his right. He felt like everything around him slowed down, as if he was watching a slow motion movie sequence. He saw the vehicle getting closer and closer to him, he could hear his own heartbeat pounding in his ears and there was this unstoppable stream of dark thoughts running through his head. Will I manage to stop on time? Will the car crash me mercilessly? And then he heard it.

"Hyukkie, STOP! Watch out!"
 

   Hyukjae blinked. And the world around him came back to its normal tempo. The truck drove with the speed of light mere inches from his face. He was standing there, eyes wide, his pulse rapid. And there was no truck, no people around him, there was only Donghae at the edge of the street, and Donghae's presence meant safety.

He was safe.

   Hyukjae remembered someone shouting at him, ordering him to stop. Someone who made him come to his senses, who saved him. Those words kept ringing in his head. "Hyukkie, STOP! Watch out!" Nobody called him Hyukkie before-"

   Hyukjae couldn't breathe due to the shock. Donghae, who stood still on the pavement in front of him looked equally stunned. He touched his lips and let his eyes meet Hyukjae's. The blinking green light helped Hyukjae regain his composture. I'm alive, he thought, because Donghae spoke to me. He warned me and saved my life. And thinking so, he ran. To reach Donghae, to get to him as fast as only possible and pull him into the tightest embrace ever.

"Donghae, Donghae!? Was it you? Please, tell me it wasn't my sick imagination!" he kept on talking some nonsence, repeating himself all over again. He felt his body being pushed and he loosened his grip on Donghae, letting him take a step back.

   Donghae looked confused. He cleared his throat, looked around, as if he still couldn't comprehend what had happened, then glanced at his boyfriend. Hyukjae stood in front of him, his eyes focused on Donghae's mouth, his pupils dilated in anticipation. And then Donghae opened his mouth again.

"I- I thought I was going to lose you, I wouldn't-" Donghae whispered and paused, lost for words, clearly not believing that he just did what he did.

   For Hyukjae's ears, these words were the most beautiful music. A melody that moved his heart, more beautiful than sound of birds chirping merrily in the morning, of the fire cracking on a chilly winter evening, of the see humming calmly during warm summer sunset. And he hugged Donghae once again, tears falling from his eyes, his arms shaking as the feeling of horror left him completely and was replaced by pure relief, ease and happiness.

   They forgot about the gifts they had prepared for each other. They forgot about the date, they just sat on the park bench and stared at each other, both of them scared to break the silence. Because as weird as it seemed, now that they could both use words, there was no need for them. There were those looks of pure love in Hyukjae's eyes, still mixed with disbelief and Donghae's tears of joy. Because his boyfriend was sound and safe, because he himself managed to break the wall that had separated him from the world, and he could feel the need to speak building in his throat. The urge to express with words something that he's been feeling for a long time, that Hyukjae had told him lots of times before. Donghae opened his mouth and at the same time Hyukjae inhaled, which resulted it them both saying those three perfect words together,

"I love you" they said in unison. And something cracked, they started to laugh, Hyukjae embracing Donghae and Donghae pecking Hyukjae's lips.

   Hyukjae decided it was good moment to hand Donghae his present. He rummaged through his bag and took out the small box containing the bracelet.
"There," he said. "It's nothing much, but take it as a 'monthsary' gift. I thought it'd suit you" he added, looking at Donghae with expecting eyes, looking for signs of disappointment or satisfaction in his eyes.
Donghae opened the box and took out the silver chain. He examined it carefully and he smiled widely when his eyes met the little sparkling fish. He looked up at Hyukjae, beaming, but stayed silent.
"Donghae, is everything okay?" Hyukjae asked, concerned about the lack of his boyfriend's reaction. "Don't tell me you decided not to speak again! Don't you like it? We can go to the shop and exchange it, I swear! My God, Hae, don't do it to me!"
"Shut up!" Donghae shouted, his voice a little hoarse and tears glittering in the corners of his eyes. "What, am I not able to stay silent for a moment now? Can't I be lost for words? Can't I enjoy your perfect gift in silence, even for a moment? Can't you see that I am really moved right now?"
Hyukjae was taken aback by Donghae's attack. He looked down, embarassed by his own distrust.
"Sorry" he murmured and glanced at Donghae, who was smiling at him warmly, apologetically.
"Don't be, Hyukkie. I understand you. And this bracelet is the most beautiful thing I've ever got from anyone" he said and put the bracelet on his wrist.

Hyukjae's face brightened. He leaned closer and kissed Donghae tenderly.

   It was real. Them, together as a couple. And Donghae could speak. There was nothing it could destroy his happiness in that moment. Or... Was there...?

 

 


A/n: You didn't see that coming, did you? :)
Please, comment a lot! I spent much time on this chappie and I hope you like it!

Love you all! <333

 

Also, I'd like to know your opinion on something. It'll help me decide if the idea that popped in my had some time ago makes sence. Please kindly answer the question below: