Chapter seventeen.

Meet the silence

"Why are you here?"
"Because the class is starting in like... four minutes?"

Hyukjae was sitting next to Sungmin, waiting for the lesson to start. His friend laughed at his answer, shaking his head.
"No, no, I mean- why do you learn sign language? Who are you doing it for?" Sungmin asked.
"Oh, right" said Hyukjae "I'm here for my... boyfriend" he hesitated, unsure about how Sungmin would react to the news that his new friend is gay, but he seemed to be perfectly fine about it, so Hyukjae went on, "He's mute and we used to communicate with him using a notebook and a pencil, but I want to learn Donghae's way of speaking. Especially now, when he agreed to date me."
Sungmin seemed impressed. "And you can already sign to him?"
Hyukjae laughed. "No, why should I? I just answer to his signing."
Sungmin's expression became confused. "Isn't Donghae deaf?"
"No, he lost his ability to speak a few years ago, but he can hear and all. I guess he is just this lucky. And so am I, to have found him..." Hyukjae paused. "How about you?"


Sungmin's cheeks reddened slightly.
"There is a guy... In my neighbourhood" Oh, so Sungmin also swings that way, thought Hyukjae. "I met him in a library. He was sitting there, reading, and it- it just struck me. Bang!" he made an imitation of an explosion with his hands "Bang! And I was in love. His name is Kyuhyun. He is gorgeous, believe me. He probably doesn't know I exist and I have no idea how on Earth I could..." Sungmin sighed. "I played some kind of a stalker, watched him in the library and outside of it, asked a few people and learned that he has a younger sister, she's about five. And she's the cutest thing alive! She’s like the sweetest sweet! Sungmin's eyes lit up. “And he takes care of her just... fabulously, he's the best oppa in the world, so attentive, understanding and responsible... They look so, so lovely together!" now Hyukjae could swear there was a hint of a rainbow and a pink unicorn visible above Sungmin's head. "Poor little cutie, she was born both mute and deaf and their parents died in a car crash" Sungmin sniffed, "and I started learning sign language, because... I don't know, maybe it's just a ridiculous idea, but I thought that maybe if she got to like me, so would her brother" and he blushed even harder.

"Oh, that's clever of you!" Hyukjae exclaimed. "I bet he'll appreciate your effort, they both will" he assured.

Sungmin shook his head. "I don't know, what if he doesn't... You know. What if he doesn't even like guys? If he just laughs at me or ignores me?" he chuckled bitterly. "You know what? I envy you. You're so lucky to have won over Donghae's heart! And what am I? I'm pathetic. I don't even have courage to introduce myself to him, although I can talk to him and there are no obstacles lime in your case... I mean, except my shyness." Sungmin scrached his head and sighed again.

"You should tell him soon! I can see it's eating you. Go for it! Who knows, maybe he'll be touched by your confession?" Hyukjae encouraged his friend.
"We'll see. It's just... this is really difficult, to learn signing. I don't even know if there's a point in doing all this. And to take up your courage is even more difficult. But thank you for supporting me" Sungmin smiled warmly and they both entered the classroom.

~*~*~

   Fifteen minutes into the lesson Hyukjae felt his phone vibrating, indicating an incoming message. He took it out of his pocket and read the text under the table. He wasn't surprised to see that the sender was Donghae.

From: Donghae
Sorry for disturbing you, but... How about we met after your classes again? I already miss you, Hyukkie!

   Hyukjae's ears turned red as he read Donghae's cute message and he smiled at the words on the screen. That actually wouldn't be a bad idea, he could take Hae to the movies or go and have some afternoon coffee with him. Or maybe... Hyukjae grinned inwardly. He typed back quickly.

To: Donghae
Sure! And I know what we'll do, I have a really evil plan. We'll help my friend confess to his crush ;>

   Hyukjae's phone buzzed once again and this time he got a critisizing looks from both Sungmin and their teacher, although Sungmin's glare was at the same time full of amusement and understanding, whereas the teacher's was just... angry.

From: Donghae
Oh, I guess it could be fun :) But promise me that we'll have some time alone afterwards, okay?

   Hyukjae sent him the last message, confirming that yes, of course, they will have some time alone. He added the school's address so that Donghae could arrive there in time and after a moment of pure day-dreaming managed to concentrate on what the teacher was explaining to the group.

~*~*~

After the lesson Sungmin smiled to Hyukjae and waved him goodbye.
"So, see you on Monday, I guess?" he said.
"You wish!" Hyukjae laughed at Sungmin's stunned expression. "You're not telling me goodbye yet! You're going with me and Donghae. Do you know where Kyuhyun lives?"
"I-I... I don't know what you mean... What do you mean, do I know-" Sungmin stammered.

"Dear Shisus, are you really that dumb?" Hyukjae rolled his eyes. "Oh, sorry, I didn’t mean it" he added quickly, seeing Sungmin's offended pout. "We want to go with you to Kyuhyun, as your... moral support, so you can introduce yourself to Kyuhyun and-"
"Wowowow, don't imagine too much, Lee Hyukjae!” Sungmin looked scared to death by the thought of confronting Kyuhyun this soon. “You won't be telling me what to do! You won't be setting up my lovelife!" Sungmin snapped, seemingly outraged.

"Oh yes, I will!" Hyukjae shouted back. "Because you are in love with Kyuhyun! And it's high time you told him, because the longer you wait, the longer you are miserable and down. And I don't want my friend be so sad when I am happy in love with Donghae. And note this: the fact that he hasn't met you yet doesn't mean Kyuhyun can't feel or return your feelings! He may be lonely and sad, he may need someone like you. Maybe he would like to have someone who'd help him bring up his little sister. So you have to know! You have to know if you have any chance with him, because if he says no, then you can try to fight for his feelings just like I did with Donghae!"

Sungmin stood there, gaping at Hyukjae. “Seriously, who taught you talk like this?” In the end he just shrugged. "They should be on a playground with his sister. They always come there on Fridays and Tuesdays" he whispered to Hyukjae in a resignated voice. Damn, he IS a stalker, thought Hyukjae, and said brightly,
"After you, then!"


~*~*~

    Sungmin must have made a good impression on Donghae, because he wasn't afraid to sign to him openly and ask a few things about him and how he met Kyuhyun. Sungmin answered him comfortably, but he used his voice, not sign language. Hyukjae was really glad to see that the two got to like each other. Suddenly, an idea popped in his mind.
"Sungmin!" he shouted, which caused the poor guy to jump. "Let's try something out! You told me that you're not confident with your signing abilities. Let's check them now! It would be some kind of a rehearsal." Sungmin seemed interested in this plan. "So, what should I do?"
"Jeez, Sungmin, use yous brains! Try signing to Hae. If you can communicate with him, a five-year-old girl shouldn’t be a problem, am I right?" Donghae nodded, showing his thumb up. "See?" said Hyukjae. "We'll know if there's anything you should be afraid of."

Sungmin agreed and started to talk to Donghae with his hands, at first reluctantly, then more confidently. Donghae looked really impressed and soon they were conversating without bigger obstacles. Hyukjae, who tried to follow their discussion, soon got lost in the maze of their gestures and managed to catch only single words. So he averted his eyes and let his thoughts wander around loosely. After a moment he felt someone patting his shoulder.

'He's great!' Donghae signed to Hyukjae more slowly, so that the older could catch the meaning correctly. 'He can sign better than Siwon!'

Hyukjae laughed. "Sungmin, Sungmin... I knew you'd do perfectly well!"
Sungmin grinned. "Well, but it was with Donghae and he's just a friend, and Kyu might get angry if I try to talk to his sister."
"Be quiet. We're about to get there in a minute. You’ll come in and find the love of your life. We'll wait here. If everything's fine, you'll take him here and introduce him to us. Okay?"
"O-okay." murmured Sungmin.
"Go, then! We'll keep our fingers crossed, right, Hae?"
Donghae nodded and hugged Sungmin tightly. He let go of his hyung and pushed him lightly towards the playground visible in a distance.
Sungmin took a deep breath. "Okay, I'm going. Thank you, both of you. I really appreciate what you're doing for me."
 
"Being a matchmaker is a tough job, isn't it?" Hyukjae said with a grin.

  Donghae nodded once again and grinned at his boyfriend. Hyukjae wrapped his arm around Donghae's waist, placed a soft kiss on his forehead and they made their way to the near-by bench to wait for the results of their not-really evil and mischievious, but still smart and, as they hoped, effective plan.

 

 


A/n: So, KyuMin on the horizon! This chapter 17 was a real pain in my back. I was really, really close to making it the one before last chapter. But thanks to my dear puppysauruss (Check out her KyuMin story!) I got out of the crisis :P Let me know whether you wish minor pairings appeared more often or rather I concentrated on our EunHae? Another make-out session is likely to appear, but as for , there won't be any ;P And I feel really sorry to let you know that “Meet the silence” is slowly coming to its end! Only 4 or 5 chapters to go. But don’t worry, there will be a new story (it rhymes!) but I need some brilliant inspiration :))

Thank you for your amazing, fabulous, heartwarming comments! <3