Chapter twenty four.

Meet the silence

It was a beautiful day.


  It was beautiful because it was Thursday, which meant Hyukjae had free afternoon. No concerts, no classes. And it was beautiful, because he could go to the hospital to visit Donghae. After Tuesday's accident and Donghae having been placed in the hospital, Hyukjae had to make it through a very busy Wednesday (he met his boss and got the pay rise, which he was too glad about, then he went to the afternoon classes to cancel his participation in signing lessons, then he fought with Heechul, who didn’t want to wash up the dishes and then in the evening, he had a concert). It  meant he was able to come to the hospital and visit Donghae just for a moment, in between breakfast and meeting at “Eclipse” and didn't have chance to sit longer by his side. He had wished Henry, who was going to be discharged from the hospital that evening all the best, waved his boyfriend goodbye and threw himself into his planned schedule.

  It was also a really beautiful day, because it was already two days after the surgery and it meant that Donghae could slowly try to utter words again. And because of it, Hyukjae was sitting in his car, driving to the hospital, happy at the thought of seeing Donghae and imagining what it would be like to hear him speaking with his sweet voice again.

  It was a really beautiful day, literally. The sun was shining and although it wasn't burning hot, Hyukjae could notice first signs of summer around him: the specific smell of warmth lingering in the air, children eating ice-creams while going for a walk with their parents, ice-creams that tasted most deliciously right then.

  What he didn't expect when he was parking his car at the hospital lot was to recieve a phone call. When he looked at the screen, he couldn't believe his eyes. But as he stared at it, there couldn't be any mistake. Donghae was calling him for the first time. And that meant-

  Hyukjae rejected the call and sprinted into the hospital. He didn't want to hear Donghae through the speaker, he wished his boyfriend would talk to him face to face. He nearly killed two nurses with the door he opened so violently it hit the wall beside it. He might have pushed an ajusshi who was walking slowly on his crutches, blocking his way. But he made it to Donghae's room in a exceptional speed and he found himself panting when he finally opened the door and sat on the chair by Donghae's bed. The other one was already empty, with Henry having left the day before.

  Donghae was sitting on his bed, knees pulled up to his chest and his chin resting on one of them. He looked sad and deep in thoughts and when Hyukjae came closer, he lied on his bed and turned away from his guest.
"Donghae, what's going on?" Hyukjae asked silently, not understanding the situation.
"..."
"Come on, I know you can speak, you were trying to call me earlier, right?" Hyukjae Donghae's back and watched the younger flinching and scooting away from his touch to the other edge of the bed.
"What happened? Donghae, please, I wish I could help you but I can’t do anything when you don’t try to comunnicate with me!”
Donghae sat up abruptly, his face wet with tears. He looked at Hyukjae with pain in his eyes.

Hyukjae stood up, terrified by what he saw. His hand went automatically to his mouth and covered it, his mind going blank. Why was Donghae crying? What did I do? Donghae brought his hands up to his chest and started signing.

‘You don’t love me, do you?’

His gestures made Hyukjae gape in disbelief. He couldn’t think of anything he could say at the moment. Why did Donghae think so? And WHY didn't he want to talk?

“I-I... Donghae, dear, h-how can you think I don’t love you? It’s not fair!”

‘Then why didn’t you want to talk to me on the phone a minute ago?’ the younger signed and new streams of tears went down his cheeks.

“Hae, you don’t make sense! I wanted to talk to you in person, not on the phone! Didn’t you want me to come here? And now you can talk and still don’t do it, I can’t see why!” Hyukjae shouted. He was seriously lost and confused, and this constantly repeating word 'why' made him feel sick.
’I thought it meant something to you, me being able to talk. And you rejected my call, why?’.

“WHY ARE YOU STILL SIGNING!?” Hyukjae nearly screamed in his helplessness. There you go, 'why' again.

Now Donghae looked scared and his lips trembled even stronger. Hyukjae had never raised his voice at him. Great. Congratulations, you idiot, Hyukjae thought.You managed to screw up something that was already in a fatal state. He took a deep breath and kneeled beside Donghae’s bed. Said boy looked at him, astonished by Hyukjae’s action.

“Donghae,” Hyukjae spoke calmly. “Listen to me. I don’t know why you’ve suddenly decided to doubt my feelings, but believe me. I’ve only rejected your phone call because I wanted to hear your voice again with you being right in front of me, no barriers! Get it?” he whined in desperation. “It means everything to me, you finally being able to speak. You are my everything. And so is your voice” he sighed, lookind straight into Donghae’s eyes. “Please, say something, Hae.”

“I am stupid”

Hyukjae gawked. “What?”

“I am the biggest idiot in the whole country. I don’t- I don’t know what happened to my brains. How could I think- Because of a stupid phone call! I’m sorry, Hyukkie.”

And with these words, he smiled tentatively at Hyukjae, who, still on his knees, came closer and embraced the sitting boy, nuzzling his head into Donghae’s waist.

 

The door opened and slammed against the wall.

“Donghae-sshi, can I ask you- Oh, sorry. I guessed I interrupted you, mr Lee... Were you just proposing? Oh, please tell me you were! It would be SO romantic, in a hospital, one of them having just recovered from presumedly incurable disease...”

“Ehm” Donghae cleared his throat. “Doctor Zhou?”

“Wha- Oh, forgive me! It’s just... But you’re sure I’m not disturbing?” He asked gingerly.

Hyukjae laughed and stood up from the floor, feeling his legs started to get numb. “You are, but since you’re already in, you can ask Donghae whatever you wanted.”

The young doctor blushed faintly. “Ah, yes. So, Donghae!”

“Yes?”

“You can leave tomorrow morning. All your results are just fine.”

“Oh, really?” Hyukjae asked. “That’s great!”
”Yeah, it is” Donghae added. “But you said you wanted to ask me something, doctor?”

“Oh, let’s stop this ‘patient-doctor’ thing. I am, like, two years older than you? Call me by my name” he said and Hyukjae frowned. As I said, a weirdo, he thought. I don’t like it. A doctor is a doctor. But he didn’t say anything. Donghae should be able to call people as he wishes. Meanwhile, Zhou Mi started to stutter, his ears turned red and he backed out, waving his hand apologetically, claiming it was nothing important. He closed the door behind himself and Hyukjae shook his head.

 

A weirdo.

 

 


A/n: This is the most nonsense-like chapter I've ever written. I apologize. And if you were bored to death with it, just tell me. I'll face everything. I don't know why the hell Donghae got offended by something so unimportant, but he's the woman in this relationship, isn't he? So I guess I can forgive him that he forced me to write this all. And can you tell what Zhou Mi wanted to ask Donghae about? :PPP

Finally, I must announce that the next chapter will be the last one. My heart aches, because I got attached to "Meet the silence" and I really, really hope you did as well! But now that I know what being a story author means, I will start a new fic and try to improve as much as possible!