Chapter twenty three.

Meet the silence

   There were two beds in the room. One was occupied by a young-looking boy with small eyea and puffy cheeks, who was lying on his back with earphones stucked in his ears,  gazing at the cealing and waggling his fingers quickly as though he was playing some musical instrument. He looked at Hyukjae as he saw the movement in the room and smiled at him, nodding politely. He's cute, Hyukjae thought, smiled back at the boy and looked to the left.

   There, laying in his bed, was Donghae. He was reading a magazine about jazz and apart from looking a bit tired, he seemed okay. Does Donghae like jazz? Hyukjae wondered as he came closer to the bed and slowly sat on its edge. Donghae tore his eyes away from the magazine and beemed at Hyukjae.
"Happy to see me, aren't you?" Hyukjae teased and Donghae blushed.

   Hyukjae leaned closer to Donghae and placed a soft kiss on his cheek. Donghae looked at Hyukjae with panic in his eyes and threw a glance at his neighbour, who didn't seem to notice anything as he was lost in the music emerging from his earphones, this time moving his feet to the beat.

"Don't worry, Hae" Hyukjae purred into his boyfriend's ear. "He didn't see."
Donghae looked unconvinced, but grinned a little anyway and lifted himself up a bit so he could attach his lips to Hyukjae's in a delicate peck.
"Well, that was a nice way of saying your 'hello'"
Donghae bit his lower lip in responce and Hyukjae laughed.
"How are you feeling?"
'It's okay, I guess' he signed, not trying to utter any words yet. 'But if I were here alone, it woud be terribly dull, staying here. That guy over there, Henry, is very nice. He had a similar operation three days ago and he can already speak. So I'll be able to, as well!' he smiled at Hyukjae.
"Sure you will." Hyukjae replied. "Where did you get this magazine from?"
'Henry lent me. He said if I'm bored I can read through it, because he already knows it by heart"
"Cute kid," said Hyukjae with a laugh.
"Hey, I heard it!" said the boy in a small voice. Donghae and Hyukjae both looked at him, startled. The boy was just putting his iphone on the bedside table, having unplugged his ears from the earphones. "I am not a kid! I am twenty one, you know."
"So you are a kid" Hyukjae laughed, and seeing Henry puffing his cheeks and pouting, he added, "I'm just kidding. My name is Hyukjae, by the way."
"Henry" the boy said and shook Hyukjae's hand. "You're dating?"

Donghae and Hyukjae looked at him, doumbfounded. Henry giggled.
"Oh, come on. You think I didn't see you act all lovey-dovey a moment ago?"
"Erm... We thought you were... Busy. With your music."
"But it's totally cool, I'm perfectly okay with it" Henry said. "And listening to the music doesn't make people blind, you know?"
The two of them laughed again and Donghae's arms were also shaking with silent laughter. It turned out Henry was a cheerful, outgoing boy, who was also very tallented. When he told them that he could play the piano, theh guitar and the violin, Hyukjae's jaw dropped.
"Whoa, so many instruments! And... The violin? Isn't it... difficult as hell? You have to press your fingers God-only-knows-where, and move your other hand with the bow at the same time, and you sometimes have to make those high-pitched notes that only bats can hear?"
Henry shruged. "Nothing new to me!" and he smiled proudly.

   Meanwhile, the laryngologist who performed both Donghae's and Henry's surgeries, came in to check up on his patients. He smiled at them and after looking into Henry's throat, asking Donghae if he felt sore and looking at patient's cards placed in their beds' feet, assured both of them that everything was fine and that Henry would be able to come back home the next evening. Then the man turned to Hyukjae.
"And you are still here, mr Lee?" he asked.
"Well, yes, doctor..."
"My name is Zhou Mi. That's so great of you to care for Donghae so much" he sighed. "There are not many men like you, really..." and he walked out with dreamy expression on his face.

   Suprisingly, Hyukjae was the only one to burst into laughter after The door was shut behind him. When he calmed down, he looked at Donghae's surprised and Henry's shocked faces.
"What! Isn't he..." he paused in search for the right word, "weird? Shouldn't he be more level-headed? Serious?"
"No he isn't!" Henry said, outraged when Donghae shook his head.
"And why do you care so much if I find him strange? What, you like him or something?" Hyukjae retorted, and to his amusement, Henry's cheeks turned red.
"You LIKE him!" Hyukjae exclaimed and chuckled. Donghae grinned at his new friend at his left.
"Well, he's really nice and caring, and- right, Donghae?"
"Donghae found his serious expression again and nodded.
'Putting aside Henry being head over heels with him, that's true' he signed to Hyukjae. 'I haven't been here for a long time, but I can say he's really responsible and trustworthy. He might seem a little light-headed, but he's a great doctor, Hyukkie. Believe me' he finished with his hand patting Hyukjae's arm.

   They chatted more for some time, Donghae asking some questions and Hyukjae translating them to Henry, them both telling the youngest about their dates and how they had met, and Henry babbling some more about his music and telling about his life in Canada. Unfortunately, minutes were passing inevitably and Hyukjae realised it was the end of the visiting time. Soon the nurse would come and show him the door. Henry was fascinated with Donghae's signing ability and although he was a little sad when Hyukjae said he had to go, he announced that he was going to learn sign language and that Hyukjae's absence wouldn't make him stop talking to Donghae.

   They said their goodbyes and when Hyukjae kissed Donghae on his lips wishing him quick recovery and Donghae pulled him closer to make the kiss last longer, Henry chuckled and muttered something like "go find the room" and then something about "being younger, innocent and them not respecting other people being still single".

   As Hyukjae went out of the hospital, he was full of optimistic thoughts. They got a really nice new friend and Donghae wouldn't feel alone in the hospital room. He was taken care by a fine doctor. And in two, maybe three days, he'd be able to speak again. And this time, nothing would make Hyukjae's words meet Donghae's silence.
 

 

 


A/n: Who's there? Of course, our mochi! Our music genius! My personal violin idol! (I play the violin, too) :D And yes, yes, the doctor is no other than Zhou Mi ^__^ Although many of you guessed it would be Hannie, and you could be right, he's tall and his Korean is definitely accented, but the nose... No one has such a beautiful long nose and warm smile as our Mimi ;)) Thank you for your poll answers and comments. I wondered whether to make my next fic a genderswitch, but I already have another idea. Stay tunned for the next chapter! xD