Chapter 16

A Secret I Would Die For

The next week after that was such a mess. I just couldn’t afford seeing Chun all worked up just because of me and I just don’t know how to make him stop caring for me even for a while. I keep getting all these weird and stupid cravings for food, which is the main reason why he’s all stressed out.

“Why are you awake?” He mumbled right to my ear. He must have noticed the constant sighing and moving I’m doing so, when in fact, the clock just read one in the morning.

“It’s nothing.” I shook my head and tightened his grip on me. “I just couldn’t afford seeing you all stressed out because of me…” I whispered.

“It’s only a couple of months, Elle.” He whispered, as his chin rested on my shoulders. “Only a couple of months and our little angel will be born, okay?”

“So, what’s your point?” I mumbled and asked him.

“So don’t bother if I treat you too much like a queen.” He said and let out a light laugh. “Besides, you never know if I’m going to be good to your after all these commotions.” I smiled. “Now, go to sleep. You still have a couple of hours to savor being with me, because I’ll be off for work.” He whispered and then kissed my cheek goodnight.

--

The next time I woke up, I felt soft lips pressed onto my forehead. I opened my eyes and saw Chun smiling down at me as he my tummy and kissed it too.

“Going already?” I asked, as soon as I noticed that he’s all dressed up already.

“Hm.” He nodded. “It’s moving, I can feel!” He exclaimed as a cheeky grin crept up to his face.

“It knows it’s you.” I said and carefully sat up from bed.

“By the way, I cooked food for you.” He said, abruptly changing the topic. “Eat lots, okay?”

“Bring me downstairs.” I said, as he took in my hand in his to guide me downstairs.

“By the way…” He started, as soon as we settled down on the sofa. “Would you mind if I hire a temporary secretary?” He asked.

“Not at all.” I hesitantly answered and found the floor amusing at the moment. “Just don’t—“ I paused. “Just don’t – uh, you know it!” I said.

“Of course!” He exclaimed as if he knew what I was hesitant about. “I won’t look at other girls.” He continued for me and laughed right after.

“It’s not funny.” I paused. “Because you might just do it anytime. Especially now that I’m pregnant and wouldn’t have anything to fight back with.”

“No!” He raised one of his brows at me. “Don’t you trust me?” He asked.

“Of course I trust you!” I said. “That’s why I’m warning you.”

“Okay, okay.” He pat my head and quickly kissed me on the lips. “Oh yeah…” He took a folder from on top of the coffee table and handed it to me. “She’s the one I’m talking about. She’s applying as my secretary. On the day of the interview, she was so persistent in doing so… So, I’m asking you now if I should or should not accept his job proposal.” As soon as he handed me the folder, I opened it up only to see Rainie’s picture at the very front paper proposal. My eyes widened in shock, I didn’t move for a second and thank God that Chun didn’t notice it. After one month or so… I thought they’ve cut connections to me? I asked myself.

“She’s okay.” I quickly replied to Chun as soon as I got back to reality. “But be careful…”

“Why?” He asked.

“It says here that she’s naughty.” I pointed at sentence that read ‘I can be naughty at times, but I’m more than serious about my job than fooling around.’ God, I don’t think Rainie’s changed. Even after I quit my job, she still manages to be that persistent and the ‘naughty’ type of person, huh? I asked myself and smiled lightly.

“Oh.” Is all Chun could say with his mouth forming an ‘O’ shape. Then right after that, he laughed again and I glared at him to make him stop.

“Could you bring her here later, if ever?” I, all of a sudden asked him as one of his eyebrows rose up at me. “She’s my friend.”

“Really?” He asked in shock. “You never told me you had some friends. Well, except for those skinny suited looking-like agents three months ago.” He recalled.

“Yeah, they are Hebe and Selina.” I said. “I’m planning to call them up later, so that I won’t be all alone here.”

“Ella…” Chun started. “You never told me what you talked about with them.”

“Oh that.” I quickly said, trying to cover up for any reaction that I wasn’t expecting him to ask that matter so. “Sel’s parents died.” I halfheartedly lied. Well, it’s true that Sel’s parents died, but that was years ago. But then, the fact that I made it as an excuse is the lie. Because most certainly, it isn’t the reason why I cried the morning after.

“Then why did you cry?” He asked. And then again, he asked me such a question hard to answer that I don’t know how to reply anymore.

“Did I?” I asked him. “Maybe it is because I’m very close to Sel’s parents.”

“Maybe, huh?” God, why is he acting as if he is suspicious of my actions?

“Yeah, maybe.” I managed to utter. “Because I don’t really remember what we talked about that morning after.”

“Okay, I need to go.” He looked at his watch and kissed me on my lips as if he was trying to cover up for me. That he’s saving me from whatever confidential things I’m keeping away from him until now. He definitely is my life saver. That even though he is the one to create such intensity, he knows when to end it and how to. He completely knows when I’m not comfortable talking about such things. Then right after that, he stood up from his seat and waved ‘bye’ at me even before he could leave the house.

Oh my God! I just remembered something. I told him I’m Thanatophobic, but how could I have just conversed about death easily? He completely caught me off guard right there, but then I hope he doesn’t remember.

--

[Chun]

“She told me she was Thanatophobic?” I asked myself as I drove my way to the company. “But how come she easily just conversed about death?”

On my way to the company, I called for that Rainie Yang’s attention that she was indeed accepted as my temporary secretary. Mark that! It’s just temporary and well, by her tone… she isn’t really bothered. Even before I could walk up to my office like how I usually do, I saw her sitting at the lobby as if waiting for someone.

“Sir, that girl’s waiting for you.” Arron, the lobby person of my company said as he pointed at her who was sitting on the nearby benches.

“Okay, thanks.” I replied and walked towards her.

“Ms. Rainie Yang.” I spoke, sending her to shot her head up at me to look at who just talked, of course.

“Wu Chun…” She whispered, as I smirked at her. “Uh, sorry sir, I didn’t mean to call you by your name.” She apologized.

“How’d you know my name?” I asked her.

“It’s because your name’s printed here in my application form.” She answered me cleverly, which sent me laughing.

“Do you have the same attitude as my wife?” I asked her.

--

[Rainie]

“Who, what—“ I paused. Wife? I asked myself. Ella? “Who’s your wife?” I managed to ask, which sent him rising up a brow at me.

--

“Ella—Ella Chen-Wu.” Chun replied and smiled at Rainie.

“You’re married?” Rainie asked in shock. “This is not included in the plan.” Rainie thought, while Chun nodded.

“We are. Anything the matter?” Chun asked and looked down at Rainie as if he just noticed some confusion in her face. “She’s five months pregnant and she wants to see you.”

“Wha—“ Rainie paused. “Oh my God, Hebs. She’s pregnant! Ella’s pregnant!” Rainie thought and quickly texted Hebe.

“Surprised?” Chun asked her. “I think you should see her now. She said she’s also going to call Sel and Hebe.”

“Okay.” Rainie nodded and trailed behind Chun to his car.