Chapter 3

A Secret I Would Die For

Oh my God, I thought. This couldn’t be happening! The world’s so big that it can’t be possible that he’s the Wu couple’s only son. I got so curious when he told me that his surname’s Wu, so I considered researching about him and called Hebe.

After three rings or so, she answered, “Hello, Sinister Agency’s office. Who’s calling?” She asked.

“It’s me, Ella.” I replied, biting my lower lip. “I have something to ask of you.”

“Hmmmm.” She responded, waiting patiently for what I am about to tell her.

“I’m curious about this Chun Wu.” I replied.

“Chun Wu…” Hebe whispered on the phone. “His name sounds familiar.”

“Yeah. That’s why I’d like you to research on him.”

“Uh.” Hebe hesitated, probably rolling her eyes on the other line now. “Wait, the boss is calling, report to you later.”

“Okay, bye.” I said, quickly hanging up the phone.

After the call, I fidgeted around my office for about two minutes or so with a hand under my chin, thinking about what possible things could happen and thinking about Chun’s identity. Yeah, Chun. Chun--!

“Ella.” Chun called for me, bringing me back to reality. I looked back at him; his face peaked inside my office. In response I looked at him with a puzzled look on my face, trying to tell him to go on with what he’s about to say.

“The phone’s ringing.” He said, and then I turned back and instantly grabbed the phone bring it onto my ears.

Oh great, just great, I talked to myself. I almost drifted off away with my thoughts and I didn’t even hear the phone ringing! What an impression to start with.

“Hello?” I answered once Chun finally left my office, assuming that it’s Hebe.

“Elle, he’s the Wu couple’s son.” Someone answered and I assume that it really is Hebe now. Anyway, a stranger wouldn’t know that I’m asking for Chun Wu’s details and as soon as I heard what she just said, I cupped my mouth with my left hand swiftly and continued listening to her. “He’s birth date’s on the tenth of October, year nineteen seventy-nine.” Hebe continued and paused. “Are you there?”

“Yeah, still here.” I answered back as a proof that I’m still hearing her clearly. “Hebs…” I whispered and paused. “He’s my manager! You don’t know in what situation I am now… I really have to resign.”

“Up to you.” Hebe replied, sounding like she didn’t even care at all and it simply just reminded me of how he talked to me lately saying that it’s ‘up to me’ and all.

“Hebe, I need some advice here.” I pleaded. “Please, in whatever way you can help me…” I paused. “Help me now!”

“Elle…” She paused. “I’ve got work to do. Besides, you’re smart enough to decide what path you ought to take.”

“But—“ I resisted and forced her even more to help me with whatever problem I am facing now.

“Fine!” She surrendered. “I suggest that you stay in whatever job you have now, Elle. It would be harder if you try to be suspicious.”

I was speechless; I didn’t know what to say. I’m completely caught off guard now and I don’t even know if I’ll follow Hebe’s instructions.

“Follow it, Elle.” Hebe said, breaking the ice in a rather serious voice than before. “All the best!” Then she hung up without even waiting for a ‘bye’ from me. Hm, she must be really busy, I thought and went back to my desk to wait for calls he told me would come up anytime soon.

--

‘I suggest that you stay in whatever job you have, Elle. It would be harder if you try to be suspicious’ Hebe’s words repeated on my mind as I got home from work.

“I know!” I exclaimed all alone to myself. “If someone rings the doorbell, then I’d choose to stay on whatever job I have as for now. If not, tomorrow I’d ask Chun for my resignation letter.” Just until eleven o’ clock midnight though, that I’d have to wait for the stupid doorbell.

I waited. Waited and waited until the clock strike ten forty-five. Fifteen minutes more and I’d have to quit this stupidity and ask for my resignation letter first thing in the morning. Honestly, I made up that sign for myself for I really do and solemnly think that no one would dare doorbell at my house at this time of day. But then, it still is possible if I really am desperately looking for an answer to my unanswered question.

Another minute’s passed and the clock read ten forty-six. Time seems so long today, I thought. Just then, the doorbell rang. I was shocked; I didn’t try to move at first. Who dared to disturb my peace at this time of day? I asked myself.

“Why you?” I yelled right in front of his face when I found out that the person who doorbell is none other than my manager – Chun. Not to mention, Wu. His eyes widened in shock when he heard me yell at him, then I turned to a shade of red. Seriously embarrassed of what I just yelled right in front of his face.

“Uh, sorry.” I muttered and managed to slip out an apology out of my mouth. “It’s just that I wasn’t expecting anyone to be coming right at this time.” I added, looking at my watch.

“Am I disturbing you?” He asked. “You look tired. Maybe I should leave.”

“Oh, no, no!” I didn’t mean that. “Go right in.” I asked for him and let him inside my house.

As soon as he settled down the sofa, he spoke, “Uh, it might be that you’re wondering why I’m here.” He paused. “Usually, I really come by my colleagues’ house to check on their environment.” He paused again. “I hope you don’t mind and I hope that you do not think that I’m intruding on your personal life.”

“No, no! I really don’t mind at all.” I replied, shaking my head. “Besides, I just moved in and I don’t have anyone around the house. So, it’s really boring.” I bowed my head down and leaned my body on the wall nearest to the sofa he’s sitting at.

“Oh, would you like some drinks or what?” I offered. “I still don’t have milkshakes and fruit shakes though.” I added. “I haven’t finished building up this place yet.” He laughed again, for the second time of the day. Not to mention that he laughed at me. Then, in an instant I laughed too without even knowing why I was laughing.

“You know what?” He looked at me and asked. “You’re amusing.”

“Oh, really?” I smirked at him and tried to make him realize that I do not believe him at all. In short, I was trying to be sarcastic as if what he said was an irony.

“Really, you are.” He chuckled. “Honestly.” He added, raising his right arm up as if swearing to me that what he just said, he meant.

“You’re ridiculous!” I exclaimed, slapping his back.

“Want some?” He asked me, bringing up a bottle of beer on my face.

“Drinking isn’t allowed here, didn’t you know?” I glared at him.

“There’s no sign saying that it isn’t allowed.” He declared, emptying the bottle of beer in a jiffy and then bringing out another one. Oh, how did I not notice that he brought with him a bucket full of beer? I asked myself.

“You’re going to be drunk!” I yelled, getting the second bottle out of his sight. “This fella, he has a very poor capacity of alcohol.” I whispered to myself, watching him slowly hitting himself hard on my sofa.

“Going here just to drink isn’t so good.” I muttered to myself and sneaked a look at him behind me only to find out that he’s already sleeping. With that, I carefully went up to the table where he set the bucket of beer and put it on the refrigerator. He definitely has issues, I thought.

Now, I don’t know what to do. What could my ex-subordinates tell me once they find out that I let a man sleep at my house just like that? What could their reaction be? To make things worst, he’s a drunkard!

I looked at the clock, for that one last time for the day and it read eleven forty-five. I suddenly felt sleepy and decided to get that extra blanket from the door behind my staircase to cover this up this drunkard from all the cold. I looked at him for that one last time and sighed, going up to my room to finally sleep. I guess I’ll just have to bring him back to reality first thing in the morning, I thought. Not to forger, I won’t quit my job any longer. I guess everything would turn out fine if I wouldn’t be too suspicious. Finally, I slept without thinking anything co-related to the Wu’s and all. Slept – peacefully.