Chapter 1

A Secret I Would Die For

“Oh Elle, are you certain that you’re leaving the agency for good?” A girl with long brown hair asked me. “Can’t you leave two weeks away from now?” She asked.

“I’ve signed my resignation letter, Sel.” I replied and smiled at Selina.

“We’ll really miss you!” Selina exclaimed, walking towards me for a hug. I hugged her back and thought that I really would miss this girl who’s right in front of me. After all, she’s been with me for so long… She’s the first ever gal pal I had here in the agency. She’s been working here, even before me.

I just worked here in this agency for the sake of following my parents’ footsteps and I certainly won’t regret that decision. My parents don’t exist already, they died when I was 15 – the year I landed my foot on this agency I’m departing from now.

But aside from Selina are Hebe, Wilbur – Hebe’s boyfriend, Show – Sel’s boy, Rainie, Genie and some other agents that played a role in my life. I didn’t get along with them that easily. Hebe’s hot tempered, serious about her job and as well as her relationship with Wilbur. Wilbur, her boyfriend is usually shy. When he first saw me, he fainted for he didn’t expect that another girl would step in this agency. He’s not gay, but then he was expecting for a male, because rarely is the time that males join our agency. Rainie, she’s happy-go-lucky. Her trademark? “Bring it on!” Genie, on the other hand is the quiet type person. She’s really serious about her job, she rarely converses with me and is crowned as the best agent among all of us, haha.

Oh, I forgot about Show! Show, Show, Show… If I didn’t find out sooner or later that he’s together with Sel, then right now I would’ve left the agency with a fight with Sel. I don’t know why, but somehow I find Show an interesting guy. He knows when to joke around; he knows what you like even if you’ve just met him for a day. He’s, he’s, he’s—Okay, stop! All I know is that he’s him. Nothing more, nothing less.

I stepped out of my work cubicle and found all of them crowding around me. I looked from my left to my right just to see them crying. Oh, how crying is forbidden in the agency. Last time when one of our colleagues died, our boss told us not to cry. It would be too absurd, he said and we’ll eventually get used to it. But then, this time someone’s leaving and to everyone’s surprise, it turned out to be me.

I hugged each one of them even before I could carry out all of my things from my cubicle. They went with me from upstairs to down until the agency’s entrance; for I knew that I couldn’t reject their request. Anyway, this might be the last time they’d see me.

“Ella!” Hebe shouted at me, running and threw her arms around my neck. “I’ll really miss you, girl.”

“I’ll miss you to, Hebs.” I replied and hugged her back. “Promise, I’ll come visit every two months. That is…” I paused. “If the boss would allow.”

“Oh, that geezer.” Hebe rolled her eyes. “I’d kick him if he wouldn’t allow you to come for a visit.” Then with that, she broke the hug, waved a hand in front of me and went back with the group.

Now, I can completely go up to my free will and live a normal life, free from the agency – my nightmare.

--

“What did she tell you?” Rainie asked Hebe who just returned with the group.

“She told me she’ll come every two months for visit.” Hebe replied.

“Really?” Rainie asked again. “Then that would be great.” She jumped up and down.

“I know, right?” Hebe rolled her eyes at Rainie. “Now, get your in your cubicle and get working, Rain.”

“Okay.” Rainie nodded.

--

Going to my house, I was really observing everything I saw. For it wasn’t like how the agency life felt. When we reached our destination, the driver of the cab pulled to a stop on the driveway and dropped me off.

“This is it.” I muttered to myself. “The start of my normal life, away from the agency!”