Chapter 4

A Secret I Would Die For

As soon as I woke up from my peaceful sleep, I looked to my right and… “Waaaaa!” I screamed, having to have seen him beside me. This fellow must have been sleep walking during night. But wait! I still remember that I locked the door before I slept. Now, how did he manage to stumble upon my bed? I asked myself. The next thing I knew is that I was looking all around me. I found this door leading to the bathroom and opened it. Only to find out that there’s another way to the bathroom. Well, I’m still new here, it’s nothing to worry about, I thought. But then, I’d have to wake him up in time for work. Oh and yeah, I still realized that he didn’t take advantage of me while I’m sleeping, so it’s okay for me to find him here.

“Chun.” I yelled on his ear, but he still won’t wake up. Then, I tried kicking him gently with my right foot, but he still won’t budge.

“I’m sorry.” He muttered and I wondered why he is saying sorry to me. “Please come back to me.” Now he’s sleep talking.

Oh, now I know why he decided to bring a bucket of beer to my house, I thought. Chun must have broken up with his girlfriend, perhaps? I asked myself.

Now, he rolled to his left and… HUGGED ME! I cried in silence, thinking about him taking advantage of me. Then, I pushed him for a couple of times to roll him out of the bed. I rolled and I rolled and I rolled him until he falls from the bed.

“Ouch!” He groaned in pain and massaged his head. “Why am I here?” He asked me when I took a peak below my bed.

“You were drunk.” I replied, rolling my eyes. “You sleep walked to my bed and—“ He cut me.

“Did anything happen?” He asked.

“Of course not!” I replied, almost yelling and shaking my head in defense.

“Good.” He muttered and then quickly stood up from his fallen figure.

“I was wondering…” I paused and sat up on the edge of my bed, while he looked at me to listen. “You were muttering these words lately like ‘I’m sorry’ and ‘please come back to me’.

“Oh, that.” He whispered to himself and stared at me. “My girlfriend broke up with me yesterday.” Aw, I thought to myself. He broke up with his girlfriend! How sad could that be? I asked myself. But then, why is that that he told me so easily? I asked myself again. Do I really look like some trustworthy person as how Sel and Rainie describe me?

“You know, we’re late for work.” I quickly managed to change the topic.

“I’m never late.” He said. “But you are.” He pointed at me and then looked at the clock which read nine in the morning.

“I wouldn’t be late if some drunkard didn’t go at my house just to drink!” I defended myself.

“So you’re addressing me as a drunkard, huh?” He asked me and laughed.

“You know, you’re quite amusing yourself.” I blabbed. “How could you even manage to tell me that detail that your girlfriend broke up with you that easily?” I asked him. “How could you laugh at your current state?” I asked again, changing the topic in an instant.

“I don’t really mind if she broke up with me.” He replied, though anyone or anyhow people would manage to tell the pain he’s feeling through his eyes. I can probably state that he’s hurting now; I can see it and feel it.

“Okay, enough!” I announced. “I don’t want to intrude no more with your personal life.”

“You’re not intruding.” He said. “You’re just curious.”

“I said enough, sir!” I announced. “I don’t want my colleagues thinking that I’m suffering of sloth – one of the seven deadly sins.”

“So, you’re religious?” He asked me and I glared at him with that weird smile plastered on his face. “Anyway, what’s the connection?”

“Duh!” I rolled my eyes. “Sloth is slacking off.” I explained and he just ‘Oh’ed and I rolled my eyes again.

“Then I’ll meet you at the office, okay?” He waved his hand bye at me. “Bye.” Then he turned around and left.

Oh God, I feel so exhausted. Just talking to him sends me this weird feeling, enough to make me exhausted. I know I just woke up, but then I can’t stop thinking about so many things running on my mind. I took a break for five minutes, and then I snapped myself back to reality and took-a-bath, brushed my teeth and changed to some decent pair of clothes. Emphasize that, Decent!

--

“Could you get me some coffee?” My boss – Chun asked me to do so, while I just nodded and got him a glass of coffee just a few rooms away from his office. Yeah, I started exploring the office lately and while I was doing so, people kept looking at me. Whispering and muttering to themselves words I’ve never heard before. It’s not that I’ve never heard of such words, but then never did I hear people talking about me. Maybe I wasn’t just too aware of my environment and surroundings because I was an ex-agent, anyway. Well, they talked about me like this… “She’s the new secretary; she just replaced the boss’ girlfriend.” Then, the other one asked… “Could she be his new girlfriend?” As soon as I heard that question, I asked myself… Does drunkard replace her girlfriends in an instant? And yeah, I’ve started addressing him as drunkard all to myself.

When I finally got back, I found him staring at me again while typing away on his keyboard. The same stare he’s been giving me from the first day I met him. Could it be that he’s planning to make me a replacement for her ex? I asked myself. Hm, I’m not bragging but then hearing all those conversations about him, it makes me feel like people he hires as his secretary instantly just becomes his girlfriend to be replaced next. Certainly, I am most certain that I won’t be too easy to handle with. I’m handled with care and I’m very fragile, that’s how I describe myself.

--

First day – check. He just asked me to send him a glass of coffee.

Second day – check. I just reminded him of his meetings and all. Then, he treated me to Starbucks to know more about me, probably?

Third day – check. I started to become more comfortable when I talk to him and all. Ugh, and how I hate how he just laughs at me with no reason at all! He even keeps on telling me how amusing I am to him. How annoying, right?

Fourth day – The fourth day’s yet to come tomorrow.

Those were the things I had a run down on when I finally got the time to rest after my official third day as his secretary. The fourth day’s yet to come tomorrow, I reminded myself. I’m also glad that I’m becoming even more comfortable talking and going near him