Chapter 19

A Secret I Would Die For

Fifth month.

Sel, Hebes and Rainie have been coming along more often. They often bring me some baby stuff and food I never ask for, but then they give me. The news about Charlene wanting to kill me seems pretty much impossible, we thought. Charlene has so many ex-boyfriends, I think and I don’t think Chun’s the one who she’s talking about. Anyway, she told him that she hates him. So for now, let’s just focus on whatever happiness we have now. By the way, the fifth month makes us know what gender our baby is.

“Cute whale, wake up.” I heard Chun say as he pinched my nose.

“What time is it?” I asked him, searching for his face.

“About ten in the morning, hun.” He replied and jumped off from the bed as he carefully sat me down on the bed’s edge. “We need to go for your check-up.”

“Is it that necessary?” I asked him, my eyes still half closed.

“What do you think?” He asked me and forced me to stand up as he pulled me up, up and away. “Oh I get it, I’m tired.”

“What?” I asked him, taking a peak at what he’s doing when he let go of my hands with my left eye open.

“I won’t go with you anymore.” He crossed his arms and looked down at me.

“Fine!” I exclaimed and slammed my back down on the bed. “If that’s what you want, then why should I stop you?” I paused and let out a sniffling sound as I fixed myself on the bed and looked at my left to avoid his constant eye contact.

“Are you crying?” He asked me.

“Isn’t it obvious?” I acted and pulled the comforter over my becoming cold body.

“Well, I’m being serious here.” He said. “Come on; let’s go for check-up.” He pleaded, with a more gentle voice this time. It’s soothing, actually.

I smiled and jumped off from the bed. “Hug.” I hugged him as he hugged me back.

--

“You have a healthy baby girl.” The doctor announced as Chun gently pulled me up from the stretcher. “The best you could do now for the next four months is to enrich yourself in healthy and nutritional foods, Mrs. Wu.”

“Thank you.” Chun thanked the doctor as he led me out of the room.

Right away, as we got out of the doctor’s room, Chun kneeled down in front of me. “What are you doing?” I asked him, looking down at him as if I’m trying to ask him what he's doing and that what he’s doing is ridiculous.

“Bao Bei.” He massaged my stomach and now he’s calling our child with my nickname, huh. “After four months, promise mommy and daddy not to make our lives harder, okay?” What the hell! He’s asking a baby to do that. As if it would be possible. For all I know, a baby would keep on crying every night and day, shunning us from sleep. “She kicked!” He announced and jumped in front of me like a lunatic.

“I know, now come on.” I paused and looked at him with a smile on my face. “Let’s go home.” He held my hand once again and walked hand in hand with me to wherever. I mean, parking lot.

“Elle, did you know that if a baby kicks once you talk to it, it means that she agrees?” He asked me and I turned my face to the right to see how he looked like just thinking of that.

“I know.” I nodded in agreement as I looked at him in his dreamy state. God, I’m really thankful for having such a caring husband as he is.

--

Ninth month.

It’s been past four months. The word death just couldn’t get out of my system, so I secretly made time for myself to write him a letter. You know, if ever something happens to me then everything and every whatever that I haven’t told him yet would be revealed in there.

I woke up to the sound of the wind chimes from our room as the air from outside swiftly blew it. The clock currently read five in the morning as I felt something acting up inside of me. It felt painful, but I don’t know what it is. In a series of seconds, I found myself gritting my teeth as I gripped on the bed sheets and felt my temperature rising gradually as I persevered beads of sweat.

I didn’t want to wake Chun up so I carefully got up from the bed and opened the lights as I inhaled and exhaled air as if I was trying to catch my breath and trying to control the pain. Every move I made, I’d press my hands hardly on the wall and support myself with it as I tried to go to the bathroom. Accidentally, I dropped something that made Chun wake up from his quiescent state.

“Ella?” Chun looked for me with his tone devastated as if he was worrying that I wasn’t beside him.

“Wait up!” I announced and quickly stood up from the toilet and went outside the bathroom. “You stay there.”

“Okay.” He said as he found me walking up to the bed.

“Chun, I’ve something to tell you.” Whoops! It just suddenly came out from my mouth. “Something that I should’ve told ever since.”

“What is it?” He asked me, furrowing his eyebrows at me.

“I know who killed your parents.” I breathed some air out as beads of sweat strangled my cheeks. Why did I just say that?

“Who?” He asked me, with his hands in either side of my shoulders.

“Selina.” I whispered and looked at his eyes, which were currently full of anger.

“Why didn’t you tell me even then?” He asked me.

“Because I didn’t want you to do anything to her – my friend!” I exclaimed as I cried in front of him. “They did a crime, Chun!” I let it all out. “They did a crime, your parents.” I repeated, much more like a whisper than before as he questioned me with his facial expressions as if he was trying to ask me how I knew about it.

“I’m telling you now, before anything happens.” I paused. “I’m a former agent.”

“Why are you telling me all these now, Elle?” He asked me, getting a hold of himself from doing anything to me seeing that I was too experiencing pain just by the thought of telling the truth to him.

I gritted my teeth and cried even more as I got a hold of my tummy. “Ugh.” I tried to resist the pain as my mouth formed an ‘O’. “It’s coming out!” I announced as he quickly got off from the bed, forgetting everything we were just talking about and got the car keys from below the drawer.

“Wait for me!” He yelled, running a hand through his hair as he quickly ran downstairs to prepare the car, I suppose. Why did it have to be this time that I’m explaining to him everything? I asked myself and felt guilt once again, taking over me.

“Chun, I’m so sorry…” I muttered as I bit my lower lip.

“It’s okay.” He responded as I quickly looked up to him as he tried to carry my weight up with his strong, but firm hands. I didn’t even notice him running up the stairs. I didn’t know time could be that fast.

“I’m sorry that I’d have to tell you today.” I cried even harder, my eyes beginning to swell.

“Forget it.” He bit his lower lip, controlling the tears which I suppose were to come out but then didn’t.

“You’re in pain.” I paused as he kicked the screen door open. “Let me down, I’m heavy!” I announced, trying to push him off.

“No.” He replied. “Just forget it, please. Forget it!” He paused as he put me down the middle seat of the car, for there’s no possible way that I’d fit in the passenger’s seat in this state of mine. Right away, I saw tears coming out from his eyes when he was putting the seat belts on me. The first set of tears which I’d first see coming out from his system.

“I’m sorry, I’m sorry, I’m sorry.” I kept repeating all throughout the trip to the hospital as I balled my fists still trying to resist the pain I’m experiencing now.

In just a few minutes, I found us already in front of the hospital. He quickly jumped off from the driver’s seat and opened the door to the middle seat.

“Forget it, okay?” He asked me, kissing my forehead. I nodded my head in agreement as he carefully removed the seat belts tied around me.

“Get me a stretcher!” I heard him scream to the guards as he tried to take a hold of me. “Everything would be alright.” I heard him whisper to my ear as I gripped tight on his hands. A few minutes later, a couple of nurses and guards came in front of our car with a stretcher and helped to carry up my weight to the hospital. Right away, I was taken away from him, letting me feel unsecured and unguarded.

“Sir, you need to fill in these forms first.” I heard and saw a nurse running up to him with a form in her hands to give to him. I saw him evading the nurse as he quickly ran up to me.

“I’ll sign that up later.” He yelled. “Please!” He pleaded and right away caught up to me to see my current condition as my left hand reached for his hand. When we were finally in front of the operation room, I didn’t want to let go, but then the nurse gave him something that looked just like a doctor’s suit as the others who were carrying me brought me inside.

--

Delivery and the secret is revealed. Would the truth really set them free? Let’s find out!