Chapter 18

A Secret I Would Die For

After a few minutes Chun went off to work, I called Hebe and Selina to come over. But wait, oh no! I thought. They couldn’t know Chun’s address, our address. But then, sooner or later I know they’d—yeah… Fine, I’ll call them! I exclaimed and dialed Sel’s number on my cell phone.

“Wei.” Selina answered sleepily her cell phone. “Who’s this?” She asked.

“Ella.” I replied in a whisper.

“Hm?” Sel was rather shocked, maybe because I just called out of the blue. “Why’d you call?” She asked me.

“I’m not mad anymore.” I replied.

“Why would you be?” She asked me.

“Remember, the conversation three months ago.” I informed her. “Oh yeah, I want to know something, can you come for a visit at our residence?” I asked her.

“That explains why you’re not residing in your former pent house already!” Sel exclaimed. “Who are ‘our’?” She asked me.

“Chun and I.” I replied. “We’re married.”

“What!?” Sel asked in shock as if she couldn’t believe what she just heard. “I’ll track you down. I’ll be there in a few minutes or so. I’ll bring Hebe, okay?”

“Okay, bye.” I hang up the phone.

A few minutes or so, maybe thirty minutes after Chun left, the doorbell rang. I was in the living room couch, sitting all alone as I watched the television. I hesitated for a second or so whether or not to open the door, but then remembering that I am the only person left home, I jumped off from my seat and opened the door only to find Chun and…

“Rainie!” I screamed and ran to Rainie to hug her as she hugged me back.

“So you’re really pregnant?” She asked, feeling the bump on my tummy as I nodded her a ‘yes’.

“I’m not updated anymore.” Rainie muttered and smiled at me as Chun went straight inside the house and off to the kitchen to do some cooking, perhaps.

“Oh yeah, I called Sel.” I informed her. “She should be here anytime soon.”

“Elle, I have bad news.” Rainie announced to me. “You know the agent that applied a month back or so in the agency?” She asked me.

“Yeah.” I replied. “Why?” I asked.

“She’s your husband’s ex.” She replied.

“So?” I asked and looked confused as to what she is talking about.

“I’m persistent to apply as your husband’s secretary, because we’re on undercover.” Rainie replied. “We’re protecting you from harm, Elle.”

“Why?” I asked, confused again.

“I don’t know how to explain this.” Rainie replied worriedly. “But just remember the time you applied okay. There’s some reason of whatsoever below the application form, right?” She asked me and I nodded. “That you need a reason or what why you’re applying in the agency?”

“Uhuh.” I replied with confusion still written all over my face.

“She wants to kill you, Elle.” Rainie replied, which got me stunned for a minute or so there. “I’m Hebe’s assistant, so I should know. I compile the application forms and I’m so sure that I just saw a sentence that says ‘I want to kill my ex’s (Chun Wu) girlfriend. I’m so not sure it’s you, but then we’d just like to be more careful. We don’t want to accuse her of something we’re not sure about yet, but really, we would just like to clear thing up.”

“How would she know me, she doesn’t even know me?” I asked Rainie.

“I don’t know.” She shook her head. “How would I know? What do we know? That in any minute or time we’d just find you lying on the floor all numb?” She asked and turned her head around when we both heard the screeching of the gates. Yeah, we’re still outside of the house chatting away.

“They’re here.” I whispered and proceeded to the gates to greet my friends, Hebes and Sel. I found them there and hugged Sel even before I could hug Hebe. For a minute or so there, I found Hebe staring off to my not so obvious belly and she didn’t even dare to move the minute I hugged her.

“Elle…” She whispered. “You’re pregnant?” She asked me with shock written all over her face.

“Just a while ago that you called me and announced that you two are married and now we would find out that you’re now carrying his child?” Sel reacted upon hearing Hebe’s protests.

“I love him too much.” I replied and bowed my head down. “And I’ve heard of Rainie’s reason for undercover.” I whispered and looked up to see their faces.

“You told her already?” Sel asked Rain, while Rain nodded.

“It’s okay.” I said. “You three don’t need to worry about me.” I pointed at the three of them.

“What?” Hebe asked. “You’re pregnant, Elle. How can we not worry about you when we know that there are people who want to kill you?”

“You sound as if they’re many.” I rolled my eyes.

“Elle, we know you’re too strong for a woman you’re age. We know that you’ve been that strong even before, but then we don’t want to pressure you and just think of others before yourself. You completely know that we understand you and we know when you need us, okay?” Hebe cleared herself and placed her hands on top of my shoulders as if to assure if I really understood her. I just nodded.

“Fine.” I rolled my eyes again. “I just don’t want people beginning to pity me when there’s no need of pity. I don’t want other people suffering just because of something that I should be the one to be suffering with.” I cried. “I don’t want seeing you all caring for me as if I can’t handle a situation all by myself.”

“We’re not saying that you can’t, because you certainly could.” Sel added and assured me that they aren’t there just when I need them. That all the while, whatever I do, they care.

“Okay.” I sighed and turned my bowed down head to face them with a smile on my face.

“Ella!” Chun shouted from across the front door of the house. “Bring them here, I made some snacks.”

“Come on.” I commanded my friends as they trailed behind me as we headed for the front door of the house.

Chun rushed to me and guided me to the dining table as if he is afraid that I might trip for whatever reason I don’t think is possible. He really cares about me, I thought. And that’s just one of the reasons why I really love this man. I might’ve regretted to have a relationship with him before, but now I clearly have made a realization that I’m not the one who killed his parents. Somehow, the heavy weight I was carrying before seemed to lightened. That all I’m carrying now is the child Chun and me would be caring for as I rubbed my stomach and smiled at my husband as he sat me beside him around the dining table.