Chapter 21

A Secret I Would Die For

“It all pretty much started with the mission.” I started, startling him off a little bit. “Originally, I was the one assigned to be the one for the Wu couple’s case.”

“It wasn’t easy for me at first. I know I’m not a starting agent at that time, but then something told me to back out from whatever I will be doing next, from whatever step I’ll be taking next. Somehow, I felt uneasy because for all I know, it is my first task to actually kill someone. Kill someone who happens to be the same specie as me – a human being, alive and breathing.”

“Continue.” He pleaded as he listened carefully to every word I say.

“It was that, that at that time, I was residing in one of the buildings and Selina was at whatever building is next to me. I remember that at that time, she actually pretended to be one of the nurses while I pretended to be… a house keeper. So, right at that time I was residing in a hotel.”

“I was profusely shaking as I held the sniper right at my hand as I locked my target.” I paused, my voice began cracking. “Once I fired the gun, I didn’t notice that I didn’t have ammunitions already and the sniper is intended to be a silent one, so I never knew that I wasn’t really the one to shoot them.”

“And then?” His voice raised a little and then lowered down a bit on the last word.

“It was then that past ten months ago…” I paused. “That I found out that I wasn’t really the one to kill them.”

“Chun, believe me.” I paused yet again as a tear strangled my left eye. “All the while that I was with you from day to night and night to day, I forced myself to continue living even with guilt!”

“That I couldn’t accept the fact that the one and only man I loved is the son of the couple I killed. The moment Selina told me so, of course my lift lightened, but that didn’t shun me away from feeling guilt against you. I still couldn’t live up to the lies I once kept away from you, I once—“ My voice cracked and I felt weak in the knees as I stopped mid way from my speech. “I once—“

I felt his lips taking over mine. I could tell he was too, crying as I felt liquid running down from my cheeks, which were also pressed unto his. My eyes shot wide and I didn’t even know how to close them.

“I love you.” He muttered in between the kiss. I closed my eyes and savored everything I had with him. “Is that enough to finally clear everything up?” He finally broke the kiss off and faced me with his eyes all swollen red as well as mine.

Right away, I nodded in agreement and hugged him as tight as I could. “I love you too.” I cried even harder, soaking his shirt wet with my head buried in his chest. “I don’t think anything would change, even if it may be equal to a secret I would die for.”

END.