Chapter 5

A Secret I Would Die For

Fourth day.

I made something up and cleared it to myself. My manager wasn’t like all the boys, I thought. You know, when I think of boys… I think of heartbreakers, bastards, idiots and all, but then Chun completely chased all those thoughts away from this stupid brain of mine. I thought that perhaps not all species of men as you call it are those kinds of guys you think of at first. I thought now that they’re – he’s gentle, caring, smart and sweet. The stares he gives me, I don’t know…, but I feel some sort of weird feeling inside me. When his skin touches mine, I feel electricity which completely gives me heat. Oh my God, I can’t actually be falling in love with the Wu couple’s son. What if one day he finds out that all along it was me? That it was me who killed his parents. Or worse, what if we get together, because right at this moment if he’ll definitely ask me to be his girl, I’d give in.

I just broke my promise to you guys! I thought I’d be hard to handle. I’m sorry, I just can’t help it. I thought I was stronger than before, but it turned out that I’m still not. I’m still same as before. One heck of a person who is astraphobic. Yes, you heard it right! I’m afraid of lightning, I’m afraid of thunder. That’s one reason I call myself weak. One reason why the agency never left me off during rainy days or so. That I’d have to hide in my cabinet where I won’t be able to hear anything or perhaps get support from friend with their warm hugs and sincere support and all.

“Done!” Chun announced as he finally typed out the last work he had for the day, same goes as distracting my thoughts. Then, he stared at me again with those eyes that made my knees weak. “Do you want to go somewhere with me?” He asked, but then I was too busy staring back at him to even react. He waved a hand in front of me and I immediately turned to my right to see if the sky’s condition is fine.

“It’s raining.” I whispered.

“Yeah.” He agreed and stood beside me. “Anything the matter?” He asked, while I nodded as if unsure if I’d perhaps tell to him the truth. The truth about me being astraphobic.

I began fidgeting in his office, back and forth and I noticed that he noticed it too.

“Do you have some place to hide in your office?” I asked, shaking nervously as if the lightning or the bolt of thunder would come thudding right away journeying its way to my ears.

“What’s the matter?” He asked me again, probably pissed off by the way I’m acting as his tone of voice says so.

“I’m astraphobic!” I announced and cried as soon as I heard the lightning. I crouched down to the far most part of his office and covered my ears not to hear it. It was all so sudden, I thought. I heard news lately and it said that it wouldn’t be raining today.

Chun came walking quickly towards me, crouched beside me and pulled me for a hug as well as pulling me towards him tightly. I didn’t know what to do, neither did he, I know. It must have taken him a lot of courage to hug me and save me from whatever fear I have. In his face, it actually does explain that he didn’t have an idea what astraphobic meant, but then I’m glad he had the guts to just hug me right on the spot when in fact, he didn’t really know what to do himself and he looked so worried. I hugged him back, gripped on his shirt tightly and then we stayed in that position for quite a while until the pain stopped – the lightning stopped and I thanked him.

--

The fifth day went as awkward as it can be. I felt awkward after that very unfaithful night that happened to me. I kept thanking him and in response, he would just state ‘no problem’ and nods his head in front of me, still with that smile that melted me.

“Are you okay now?” He asked me when I walked in his office.

“Yeah.” I replied and thanked him once more. “Thank you, again.”

“I keep telling you it’s nothing.” He said that for like the hundredth time for the day, but then something couldn’t just make me stop saying sorry to him.

“Let’s make this some kind of deal.” I announced and put my right hand just below my chin, thinking of something that I could do to pay him back in return what he did for me yesterday night.

“And what is it?” He asked me.

“I’ll treat you later, okay?” I asked him and he nodded. “But then, we’d have to use your car.” I laughed.

“It’s okay.” He responded. “Just as long as you’ll be the one to drive.” He challenged me. Well, more liked joked.

“Why not?” I stated.

“Do you have anything to say before you leave?” He asked me.

“No?” I replied, as if asking him back.

“Okay, be careful of lightning and the thunder.” He teased me and laughed even before I could leave.