Chapter 15

A Secret I Would Die For

A week from that day he wrote to me the most romantic letter, we planned to get married. And since I am pregnant, we didn’t have time to arrange for complicated wedding arrangements. We simply just got married by a judge and kept it to everyone around us, unless they ask. I didn’t even tell Hebe and Selina, though I’m sure they’d find out no matter what. But even then, they wouldn’t be able to stop me since I’m married to him already. It wasn’t soon before long that we moved in together. I moved into his house, to avoid future appearances and visits of the agents from my former agency at my house. Oh yeah, I’ve been getting nightmares every night, I got over the fact that perhaps I am not the one who killed Chun’s parents and this would be the start of my third month – pregnant with I and Chun’s child.

“Chun!” I yelled, gripping at the bed sheets as I woke up from another nightmare. When apparently, the clock just read 2:42 AM and I was up already… I was in such a mess, perspiration took over my face.

“Ella!” He quickly woke up and faced me to check if there is anything wrong. “What happened?” He asked.

“That nightmare again…” I whispered, with my eyes wide in shock. Yes, you heard it right! I told Chun all about this and every time I do get those nightmares, he’d comfort me until I fall asleep.

“Don’t worry, I’m here.” He whispered to my ear and held me tight to him for a hug as he searched for my hair in the dark just to it. My head’s spinning, I thought and that nightmare just couldn’t get out of my system. It keeps on bothering me every night that I don’t even know if it will happen to me anytime soon.

--

The minute I woke up from the time I slept at about 3 in the morning, I found myself craving for… For something – something that tastes kind of sweet?

“That’s it!” I sat up from my seat. “I want pudding.” I rubbed my hand against my lips and my lips as if I’d taste the taste of the pudding anytime soon. When I looked at my left, I found Chun laughing at me with his hand over his stomach as if he’s trying his best not to laugh at me. “Hey!” I hit him playfully on his arm.

“Hmm?” He tried to ask me what I wanted. “What did you want again?” He teased me.

“You tease!” I exclaimed and rested my head on his stomach. “I want pudding.” I pouted and with my hand, drew circles on his stomach.

“Let’s go buy it then.” He exclaimed and pushed me gently to sit up straight.

“You’ll be late for you work then.” I pouted.

“Ella, what day is it today?” He asked me as if I was wrong that he had work today.

“Uh… I don’t know.” I replied.

“It is Saturday today, darling.” He said, messing up my hair. “Now, if you want to get your pudding, you better freshen up in the bathroom, okay?” And with that, I carefully jumped out from my seat and proceeded to the bathroom to freshen myself up, while he waited for me downstairs.

“You’re fast!” I exclaimed, having to have seen him all dressed up once I got downstairs.

“That’s because you’re slow.” He replied and took my hand to lead me out to our car. “Careful.” He warned as he guided me to the passenger’s seat. “Are you sure you really want it there?” He asked me and I simply just nodded and made myself comfortable in the passenger’s seat. After all, I wanted to be near him.

--

After the time we got to buy my pudding, he brought me to the park once again and made me realize just how special this place got for him. He told me that we should come here more often. After all, this is the place wherein we first met.

“You know…” He whispered. “When I met you…” He paused. “My main purpose wasn’t really to hire a secretary for me and I certainly am not desperate in finding one.”

“Then, why did you—“

“Let me explain first.” He cut me and put a finger over my lips. “That day…” He recalled. “You really looked like an angel in disguise. Actually, I thought you could help me out a bit with my status and relationship problems, so I hired you.” He paused again. “And you know, I noticed that luck was just by my side from that day on that I learned that you are looking for a job too…, so there.”

“So that explains why that Charlene girl came barging unto your office as if she’s still working there?” I asked, crossed my arms and rolled my eyes at him.

“Yeah.” He laughed. “Only that day when I found out that I really have learned to love you already.” He paused and rested his arms backwards to the bench we are sitting at. “That’s only just the day when she found out I really fired her out from my company and from my heart.”

“I’m still angry.” I pouted. “You used me!” I exclaimed.

“Then explain to me what happened that day when I took you to the hotel.” He looked at me and I blushed just by the thought of it – the thought that I took advantage of him.

“I was drunk.” I defended myself and looked the other way around.

“Elle, even if you were… I know you still know what you were doing then.” He voiced out and caressed my cheek.

“So you knew it too?” I asked. “That even I was taking advantage of you already, you didn’t mind?”

“I knew.” He replied. “But wait!” He pointed at me and he looked mad. “You took advantage of me?”

“Would it mind if I tell you yes when we’ve done it already anyway?” I replied in question and frowned. “We could divorce if you just loved me for the sake of this child.” I cried and stood up from my seat.

“Ella…” He whispered and in instant, his arms wrapped around my waist. “I was just joking.”

“Well, that’s n-not a v-ver-ry g-g-ooood j-jok-ke, C-Chun.” I stuttered as I hiccupped and cried even harder and turned myself around to face him as I wiped up my tears.

“I’m sorry.” He hugged me as I gripped on the back of his shirt, tightly and then kissed me afterwards as I returned the same.

“So you’re not mad?” I asked him as I broke the kiss of.

“Of course not.” Chun replied and wiped the last set of tears which dared to strangle my face. “Let’s go home.” I heard him say as he took in my hand in his as we walked towards our car and finally go home to our own home sweet home.

--

[Chun]

That night…, I snuggled closer to my wife until she fell asleep. I wrapped my arms firmly around her and took in the scent of her hair.

“I love you.” I whispered and what just happened lately clearly explains to me that pregnant women really tend to be dramatic at times when to other’s people’s eyes, it’s already exaggerating. Don’t get me wrong… I didn’t test it out on Ella just to prove that little detail… I was simply playing a joke on her when I was unaware that she’d take me seriously and cry. “I’ll protect you from whatever harm there is.” I whispered again and with that, I fell asleep.