15th December

Moment

15th December

Cho Kyuhyun, the name of the doctor that always visits me. Whenever I asked about what really happened, he pretended he didn’t hear me. He’s obviously hiding something.

 

I just realized, he kept the door locked from outside.

 

16th December

Maybe I should just escape.

The windows aren’t locked but they can’t be open wide at all. I guess my only way out is the door.

 

17th December

I was discharged today.

They said my bill has been transferred to the institute’s account. Dr Cho even gave me his name card, saying that I should call him sometimes which I see no reason to.

As I was filling the papers and waiting for my prescriptions, I noticed the hospital was quite crowded compared to other days.

When I exited the building, I was surprised by how calm the city was. It was in the middle of the day, yet the road seemed to be less busy than the usual. I took a bus, heading straight to the institute because I need to find the answer.

In the bus, I was more surprised to see a lot of damaged roads, facilities and some small buildings. Some roads were even blocked because of big holes on them. It was almost there was some kind of earthquake happened a few days before. But as far as I know, the city has never faced any sort of earthquake before. The radio on the bus even talked about the disaster, how the politicians were taking chances to appear noble and kind to gain votes. Something had happened but I have no idea what is it. By the time I reached the stop at the institute, I froze on the spot. The bus stop is around 1km away from the institute but because the institute is a very large (and high) establishment, it can be seen right from the bus stop. From there, I could see the institute’s west wing had disappeared and the main building was also destroyed partly. I could feel my heart beat quickened. My instinct said I already knew what had happened but I refused to believe it. Nervously, I approached the institute.

The damage looked ten times worse as I neared the establishment. It looked like a total ruin, like it can’t function anymore and the rest of the remaining buildings will collapse anytime soon. Yellow tapes were pulled over the area, preventing anyone to enter the premise. Two policemen even told me to get away because it was dangerous. I pretended to go away but how can I go away? I stood there staring at the damaged building with thousand of thoughts came into my mind.  I was lucky, because Jonghyun found me.

Jonghyun took me for a dinner before he told me what had happened. I noticed something was wrong when he emptied three glasses of soju before he started. He said they told him not tell me about it, but he thinks it was pointless to do so. Because I was involved and people that I know are involved.

Jonghyun was at the testing lab at the main building when it happened. He heard loud explosion, followed by emergency siren. People said the explosion was from west wing. He was worried, so he headed there. Before he could reach west wing, he heard more explosions and the last one tore open the corridor where he was at. Walls and floor collapsed in front of him, he heard screams and saw blood. He was lucky to be able to avoid the falling debris from hitting him. But at that time, through the big hole of the building, he saw it. He saw a boy in the air, with unidentified large objects which resembled wings. I suddenly found it was hard to breathe when Jonghyun described the boy. He said he saw how the wings struck the buildings, destroying everything in its way. The boy only left when the west wing collapsed. There were 57 deaths and 219 injured victims from the incident. Onew was one of the injured victims. He  suffered from a few broken bones and a serious injury to his head. He was still warded. Jonghyun said the boy continued his attack to the civilains in the city after that but the army was able to defeat him after 4 hours of intense battle. 

There was a long silent after he finished hus story. My heart was beating crazily and I can’t look at Jonghyun in the eye. Guilt swallowed me whole and Jonghyun seemed to know that. Because he said; That boy is your friend, right Minho?