September 27 (Part 1)

My Secret Diary

 

September 27

I’m at the library yet again. It has become sort of a hideout lately, mine and Hyoyeon’s. We spend a lot of our time here discussing about our day, hobbies, interests, things that give us the illusion of safety. Even though we’ve been friends for less than a week it feels like we’ve grown up together. Here, without any cameras or other people walking by, we can be ourselves without fear. If only I could spend my whole life in here, away from the outside world. Away from him.

Ugh. Why did I have to remember him? Now my good mood is gone. Today was the worst day of my life because of him. But I guess you don’t know what happened today, my dear diary, do you?

I was waiting for Mrs. Jung’s next appointment to arrive when he walked in, the Prime Minister, Cho Kyuhyun himself. He is more handsome in person than on screen, I’ll give him that much, but he is still an arrogant, selfish, cruel, filthy thief.

He came in without an appointment, acting like he owned the place without even bothering to knock on the door (of course). He walked in wearing his sunglasses, threw his coat at me and commanded me (he didn’t ask, he commanded me) to cancel all of Mrs. Jung’s appointments for the day. We are working here, mister! We are not a restaurant for you to come strolling in and treat me like a freaking waitress. And he had the nerve to check me out! He was actually checking me out the whole time he was waiting for his coffee!

If only his bodyguard wasn’t standing next to him! I would have put an end to his reign. He’d be looking at the other side of the grass and I’d be behind bars enjoying every moment of my punishment.

But of course he wasn’t alone. He is the Prime Minister after all. His sister-in-law, Kwon Yuri, who is one of the Disciplinary Squad’s captains, (see, they are all related one way or another) was by his side the whole time watching everything like a hawk. Her cold stare was surveying every bit of the room making my blood run cold.

I tried not to show my feelings. I put on my best poker face and pretended to be one of the statues that decorate the room while we were waiting for Mrs. Jung’s meeting to end. Apparently he had other plans.

“So, you are Jung’s secretary. She hides you well, everybody else usually brings theirs with them in our meetings but she is always alone. I can see why now.”

I looked at him bewildered. Yuri shifted nervously in her feet. Just because he is her boss doesn’t mean she’ll forget he’s married with her sister.

“You make amazing coffee. I just might try and steal you away, miss…”

“Lee” my answer was short. I would not let him charm me with his cocky smile.

“I was expecting a first name but I guess I can always find that out later”

Yuri coughed and mattered something under her breath. He looked at her once and then his gaze shifted back to me. He started nagging her about being bored and wanting to be done with this as soon as possible, yet his eyes never left me. Despite his sunglasses I could tell he was staring at me. I felt a shiver down my spine. This man gets on my nerves.

Mrs. Jung came out of the office with a reporter just as I was about to make him stop his ing and complaining by shoving his tie down his throat.

Mrs. Jung was surprised to see him here to say the least. Her eyes grew wide and she started sweating. Every bit of her cool facade crumbled into pieces under his intense gaze. His playful, spoilt personality was gone in a matter of seconds. Right now he was giving off a dangerous vibe, like a snake waiting to bite its victim. He had taken his glasses off so I could see his chocolate brown eyes piercing through Mrs. Jung.

Mrs. Jung showed the reporter out, her eyes fixed on the floor, while the rest of us remained silent.

“Mr. Cho, I wasn’t expecting you” she finally uttered with a shaky voice. I noticed her hands were in fists but still visibly trembling. Now that’s something you don’t see every day: Jessica Jung had her heart in .

“I’m afraid I have something very important to discuss with you. I have already wasted enough time, let’s get this done” he walked in Mrs. Jung’s office without waiting for an answer. Yuri followed him right after. Mrs. Jung looked desperately at me, silently asking for help. My protective instinct kicked in and I was about to drag her out the office with me when she took a deep breath and entered the room.

“Sunny, please make sure nobody interrupts us” she begged. I saw Kyuhyun flash his cocky smile and give me an I-told-you-so look. So what you arrogant bastard? You learned my name, not the secret to eternal life. I looked at Jessica. The first shock had passed. She looked confident and sure of herself again. Jessica Jung vs. Cho Kyuhnyun. Just thinking about this scares me out of my wits. She closed the door behind her without giving me time to respond to her request.

I was left confused and frightened. What should I do? Do I leave or stay? Is she expecting me to do something? All these things passed my mind. But another feeling had started to develop inside me, something much stronger than fear. I took a few deep breaths to calm down. I was curious. I wanted to know why he needed to talk with Mrs. Jung so badly. If it was any other day I would have assumed that it was about the war but it was not just any day. It was exactly two days after Tiffany came here and had a big fight with Mrs. Jung. Coincidence? I think not.

I checked the security cameras above me. They were still on but neither one was pointed at Jessica’s door. The security guards wouldn’t be able to see me if I stood on the right side of the door. I locked the main door to make sure nobody would walk in while I was eavesdropping and looked at Jessica’s door.

I walked towards it making as little noise as possible. It was crazy and dangerous, the Prime Minister and the captain of the Disciplinary Squad were both in that office. If they caught me eavesdropping it would be the end. But I couldn’t help wanting to know more about what was going on in there.

I placed my ear on the door and held my breath. Nothing. They weren’t whispering but the door was too thick for me to hear more than just muffled noises.  I looked around the room in search for a glass to use. I quickly spotted the wine glass I had taken out to offer some wine at the reporter who just left. I grabbed it and placed it on the door and then my ear on it. Much better.

“Mr. Cho, thank you again for you kind praises but I’m not taking care of this whole war situation by myself you know. Anyway, I trust that you did not just barge in here and canceled my entire schedule for the day just to tell me what a great job I’m doing”

“As cool as a cucumber, huh Jung? You weren’t that brave a few minutes ago”

I heard Yuri snicker. Apparently she was enjoying the whole situation.

“Mr. Cho, please get to your point” I could tell that she was frustrated but only because I have worked with her for two years now. I bet that neither Kyuhyun nor Yuri saw a difference in her attitude towards them.

“A pretty reporter visited you recently. Tiffany Hwang, I believe…”

“She came in for an interview, nothing out of the ordinary”

“You fight with a lot of journalists Mrs. Jung?”

“We had a little disagreement. She is a pacifist and condemns war; our views on the subject were completely different. I guess we were a bit louder than we should.”

“And that was the first time you met?”

There was a pause. I could almost hear the gears inside Jessica’s head spinning like crazy. Why was she hesitating?

“She is a journalist, I am a Minister. She has interviewed me before…” she answered carefully.

“So you have only met her for interviews?”

“I’ve met her a few times in the streets. It’s a big city but there are only so many places that people like us can go. It’s natural that we would see each other a few times” her voice was still steady but laced with panic. Kyuhyun had noticed as well judging from his small laugh. I could almost imagine him smirking while fixing his tie.

“Listen to me well Jung, you are here only because the media loves you. We both know that there are other people far more suited for this job than you. If you want to keep it, along with that pretty blonde head of yours I suggest you stop whatever it is you are planning. We will let it go this time since your plans with Mrs. Hwang were obviously a failure. I suggest you two never meet again.”

“Mr. Cho…”

“In case you fail to comply with my orders, next time my dear Yuri will be visiting you with her men” I heard the noise of his chair moving and footsteps coming closer.

I dashed back to my desk and sat down, hiding the wine glass in the first drawer I found. Kyuhyun came out only seconds later, Yuri always by his side. He flashed his cocky smile at me, closed the distance between us and grabbed my hand. Bringing it to his lips he said under his breath:

“It’s a pleasure to have met you Sunny. I’m looking forward to working with you”

“She a secretary here, not in your office, Kyuhyun” Yuri interrupted. She sure is protective of her sister.

“Like I said before, I might be tempted to steal her from Jung” his answer was directed to his sister-in-law but his eyes never left mine. “Until next time miss Lee.” He bowed slightly, put on his sunglasses and walked out of the room.

My heart was beating like crazy and my legs felt weak. He is creepy and evil, but damn can he be charming when he wants. No! I will not do this. I will not fall for him.

I was brought back to reality when I heard a sob. Jessica!

I sprang up and run towards her office only to have the door slummed on my face.

“You are free for the rest of the day Sunny” she yelled at me. I could hear her voice trembling.

For a moment I thought about turning around and leaving. My motto is: never stick your nose in other people’s business (please do ignore that small incident I just described). After all, there's nothing you can do about them when you can't even h But then I heard another sob, a heart wrenching cry that brought me back to my senses. I am different than them, I have a heart and it’s time to show it.

“Jessica, please open the door” I asked softly. No answer.

“Jessica, even if I can’t help, I’m here to listen so please, please let me in”

“You… you can’t… I… it’s too… too dangerous… please le-leave now” I could barely make out what she was saying.

“No. You helped me when I needed without asking for anything in return. Please let me in. If you don’t need somebody to confide in then how about a shoulder to cry on? I can be that. Please open the door, I hate it when you cry Sica” I pleaded yet again, this time using her old nickname. That must have convinced her because the door opened slightly. I pushed the door to get in. At first I didn’t see her but then I noticed her curled up in a ball, her face in her hands and her back on the wall. I rushed to her side and wrapped my arms around her.

We didn’t speak. We just stayed there for hours. She cried her heart out, her tears staining my dress, while I rubbed soothing circles with my hand on her back and used the other to hold her close.

She cried herself to sleep. I stayed there, holding her while sleeping. She looked so vulnerable and weak like this. The strong and assertive woman who controls our military power was finally showing her young age. Even she needs somebody to lean on and today I was that person.

Even though we are the same age, like Hyomin, she has always been the mature one. I couldn’t protect Hyomin but I will try to protect her.

 

~ ~ ~

Sorry if I was late. I was planning to have this out by yesterday but grandma visited so I had no time.

I did proofread it but I was very sleepy so I might have missed a few mistakes.

Kyuhyun enters! Finally