II

The Time It Takes To Grow

Before he could quite comprehend it, it was time to go and time for Taecyeon to leave Junsu behind. He never liked the end of the day, or rather the end of anything. With the end brought a feeling of emptiness that Taecyeon disliked. He tried to prolong his time by packing slowly, each individual pen or pencil, each notebook and piece of paper carefully placed inside of his clean bag with care. In between stocking his bag again and noticing the excited smiles on the other classmates faces, Taecyeon couldn’t help but notice Junsu’s frown among them. His shoulders were uncharacteristically slumped, his eyebrows furrowing together with what seemed to be discomfort. Taecyeon disliked the look on his face because it seemed too unfit, so unnatural. He was worried that Junsu would acquire wrinkles. Minutes passed by before Taecyeon admitted that he had nothing else to keep him behind. With reproachful eyes against Junsu’s back, he left the classroom, whispering a small goodbye as he passed the threshold. His walk into the outside world was uneventful on account of his best friend already gone and no one else to keep him company. At times like these, Taecyeon likes to observe.

Two bluebirds flew overhead, their small bodies turning to night as they passed under the direct mirror of the sun. The sky was still too clear and just too bright, but Taecyeon liked the wind and how it shook the trees around him. He relished in the sight of falling leaves, how they floated against the sky before tumbling to the ground below. It had a nice tranquil effect that held Taecyeon’s worries at bay, even for a little while. He felt like he could see his bad aura being blown away with the breeze, and it made him feel good. Just as he began to get caught up with the feeling, something out of the corner of his eye caught his eye. A replica of the bluebird he had notice flying above had fallen from a tree and landed on the ground. The peeping pleas ringing from its throat sounded like a cry for help and Taecyeon could not be heartless and ignore him. He found himself walking off his original course and towards the marker where the peeping continued. The bird was easy to pick out against the grass, and before thinking Taecyeon reached down and tried to touch it, only to stop. His hands were trembling, it was just a small tremor, but he couldn’t stop. He began to think about how small the bird, a small chick, would be inside of his palm, how one false move could end his life. Would he really be able to help a small life when he could barely provide help for himself? His fingers, could they heal instead of harm? The peeping baby quieted down as he stared up at the giant creature before him. Taecyeon could see fear and expectance in the bird’s eyes, and it reminded it of someone.

With a slow motion and unsteady hands, Taecyeon reached in and managed to pick the bird up in the palms of his hands. He wasn’t attacked and the bird didn’t try to get away. He just stared. Because he was afraid of dropping the little fellow, Taecyeon walked home slowly, thinking of ways to take care of the bird until he was ready to go on his own.

“I bet you’re scared, aren’t you? But you shouldn’t be because I’m a very nice person. I’ve had a bird before, so you’re in good hands, okay Jun- Junsu. Yeah, I think I’ll call you that. How does Junsu sound to you?”

Pip pip.” The bird chirped in reply, stunning Taecyeon almost to the point of brain damage. He blinked at the bird’s unwavering eyes before a smile touched his lips and he continued on his way. He had a feeling that the bird would be someone he would come to appreciate, possibly as much as Nichkhun. Along the way, Taecyeon stopped at a small mart and bought the bird some seeds he could eat and he would collect live worms later on to feed him.

“I wonder how you fell out of your little home Junsu. Maybe you saw a pretty birdie and tried to fly out to her, but your wings just sort of froze up. I’ve had it happen to me before too. Well, he’s not exactly a bird, but you understand.”

Pip.

“Ha-ha, he’s as pretty as any girl bird, if he were a bird I mean. And he’s really sweet, and kind, and smart, or at least I think so. I haven’t actually spoken to him before.”

Pip?” Junsu tilted his head slightly.

“He’s scared of me so I just watch from afar. Sometimes it makes me feel useless and unwanted, but I don’t mind. I just hope one day I’ll be able to let him know how I really feel.”Taecyeon didn’t mind that he would be deemed weird for talking to a baby bird, but Junsu really was a good listener.

“Welcome to our home Junsu. My mother is out of town right now, so you’ll get to meet her another time. But now, let’s get you cleaned up and fed. Junsu “pipped” as Taecyeon held him in the palm of one hand closely to his chest, reaching into his pocket to pull out his keys. Once the door was open, he entered and kicked off his shoes, closing the door behind him and setting his keys down on the awaiting table. Junsu peered around with his pitch black orbs, taking in the smell of freshly cut grass that reminded him of his tree home. Taecyeon was careful when handling the little birdie, leaving him perched on the coffee table in the living room with a warning to “stay put” and going to put the few groceries away. When he came back, he couldn’t help his laughter at the sight of Junsu poking his beak at a pencil and trying to get onto the floor. Something seemed off with his legs and Taecyeon guess he was too weak to fly just yet, and it would take time for him to grow strong once again. He felt a connection with birdie Junsu in that moment, because he too had to take time before he was ready.

Pip!

“Don’t eat that Junsu!”

 

 

 

PLEASE READ :

I don’t know, but this idea just came to mind. The bird is not only an animal, but a spiritual representation of Taecyeon himself even though he thinks the bird reminds him of Junsu. The baby bird represents how little he holds himself of value and how he doesn’t think he is worthy for Junsu. The birds’ weak legs also represent Taecyeon’s weakness of emotional strength and his fear of Junsu. When the bird is well and strong, it will represent Taecyeon’s willingness to fall into his love and approach Junsu. I hope this makes sense. :)