XIV

The Time It Takes To Grow

Taecyeon opened the door as Nichkhun and Wooyoung said their goodbyes and began the journey home. It was fairly late with no sun left to shine, only the cold night air in its wake. A small portion of the moon remained intact, sometimes visible, other times camouflaged in a tuft of dark cloud. The tall male closed the door after his friends departure, thoughts of the past lingering on his mind. Jay had already evacuated the premises, taking note of the way Taecyeon's face held a frown. Before leaving, Nichkhun and Wooyoung had kindly washed the dishes and cleared the living room, leaving Taecyeon with nothing to do but check up on birdie Junsu. He felt bad for leaving his small friend caged all day and hoped the bird wouldn't hold a grudge, which seemed all too possible.

He walked over to the wall and shut off the light before heading upstairs. As he passed the bathroom, he heard Jay singing in the shower and rolled his eyes before heading to his room. The moment he opened the door, he could hear the Junsu's pipping in the darkness, it almost sounded scared. He flipped up the light switch and stepped inside. After closing the door, Taecyeon walked over to the cage and Junsu turned his back to him and pipped.

"Junsu, please don't hold a grudge. I'll let you out during the day, promise!" Junsu instantly swung back around and pipped happily, his wings flapping out and against his body as if he were dancing. Taecyeon opened the cage and Junsu fluttered his wings before pouncing on his hand.

"I knew you'd agree. You really bargain well." Junsu pipped in reply and walked around the expanse of Taecyeon's hands before sitting and his wing lazily.

"You wouldn't believe the day I had today Jun. First it was amazing and unforgettable, but now I just feel terrible." Birdie Junsu peered up at Taecyeon with questioning eyes.

"Pip?" Taecyeon sat against his beds dark blue sheets and let Junsu hop onto his leg.

"Well, I actually talked to Junsu-"

"PIP!"

"-Okay, other Junsu, and he made me feel like I meant something. He reached out to me and held my hand and I knew I'd be okay. Just having him around has this impact and I'm starting to want it more and more."

"Pip." Taecyeon smiled and used his index finger to gently run Junsu's little head. The bird moved against his fingers, his soft feathers flattening.

"And I got to walk him home, which Is more than I thought I could ever do. It was so great, then I came home to be questioned. I know Jay meant well, but I didn't need any of them breathing down my throat and reminding me of the mistakes I made a long time ago." Taecyeon sighed and caught sight of his wrist.

They were faint, barely distinguishable against his slightly tan skin, but any time Taecyeon looked at them, all he could see was blood and the flashing lights of the ambulance as they whisked him away.

"I don't understand why so many people seem to be fascinated with me. I'm nothing special, and if they really knew me they'd think I really was a monster. I did it just once, and almost got shipped off to a ward by my mother. I still don't understand why I did it in the first place. I know I'd been angry and upset and I-I felt so alone. The scissors were there, looking like the perfect weapon to use against myself. But when I tried to cut with it, it ripped up too much skin and it didn't hurt at all. So then I went to the kitchen and saw a knife, and it was perfect."

Taecyeon sighed and closed his eyes, seeing the blood splattered across the kitchen floor and counter top. He could vividly remember how much it stung to dig the blade into his skin, but it had been outweighed by the pain in his chest. His mother came home suddenly and there was no time to clean the evidence. The moment Taecyeon tried to move, his body lost all weight and he fell into his own blood, bloches dotting out his vision until there was nothing else but his mother's horrified face.

"I guess There's just some things you can't forget no matter how hard you try." Junsu pipped in reply and gave Taecyeon's hand a nudge with his beak. He continued the action until Taecyeon opened his hand and let him hop on. Then he hopped up to his slumped shoulder and gave the saddened male's cheek a small .

"That tickles." The bird chirped in triumph and gave his face another sneaky . Taecyeon gave a small chuckle before slowly taking the bird back in his hands.

"You're a really good listener Junsu. Thanks."

"Pip pip." Taecyeon let Junsu stay in the sink again while he took his shower and laughed when he got out and saw Junsu purposely splashing water everywhere, floor, mirror, the wall.

"Messy messy."

~

In the morning, instead of a sunrise, there was lightning and faint booms in the distance. The sound itself was enough to wake Taecyeon from his slumber, still tired and ready to fall back into bed. He always woke up tired on rainy days, but they were his favorite. He quickly went through the morning motions and pulled on his uniform, then sleepily unlocked Junsu's cage and let the bird run around on his bed.

"Now no opening the door for strangers, okay?" He had left a small bowl of squished worms for Junsu to eat to his hearts content and waved goodbye as he closed the door behind him. Taecyeon figured Jay had already left from the silence and put an umbrella in hand to battle the rain. He locked his front door and held the bright umbrella over his head. Before he realized it, Taecyeon wondered if Junsu would be walking home, and if so, he hoped it would be without an umbrella so they could share. He smiled as the rain tumbled from the sky, thinking of Junsu the entire way to the bus stop.

 

 

 

 

 

I hope this makes up for my absence. Its going to take a while for my laptop to get fixed so my blackberry is all I have at the moment. Enjoy this big blob! I love you guys. :)