VI

The Time It Takes To Grow

Junsu attempted to relax his shoulders so he could look more natural as he unconsciously listened to the footsteps directly behind him. He had been around Taecyeon long enough to pick up on his footsteps and the way he breathed. Call it a stalkerish and slightly awkward habit, but Junsu couldn’t help how he felt when he was around the much larger male. He felt his breathing get queasy, his heart palpitating at a rate he couldn’t quite keep up with. He began thinking about how his back view might be. Was he walking behind him because he was forced? Or did he actually want to be even remotely close to him? Was the back of his hair messy with morning sleepiness? Were his clothes wrinkled? He looked towards his feet to help himself to stop trembling, but even then, it didn’t help. As he reached towards the door f their first shared class, he literally felt Taecyeon move closer, and brush passed him, his arm touching his. He felt his cheeks blaze as the butterflies hidden in his stomach began to fight their way through, trying their best to rip away from him and fly free. Junsu has never experienced such feelings for anyone before, and there was just so much to feel at once he couldn’t bear the thought of ever having to feel such a way again, for anyone else. Taecyeon wasn’t just anyone to Junsu, he was so much more then he could possibly comprehend. When had things taken such a turn for Kim Junsu?

“Just give me your money and I won’t have to beat you up again.” The bully, Junsu couldn’t even remember his name because he was just so scared and ready to cry. Being the new kid in a new city, new school, new neighborhood, Junsu was shy around everyone and never ventured outside of his house except for school. Because of his introverted attitude, people assumed he just felt he was too god for them and he was ridiculed over and over because of it. On this day, another bully was out for him, the same that had taken his money and left him bloody the last time. It was the first time he had ever had to lie to his parents before, and it made him sick to his stomach because of it.

“N-No,” Junsu mumbled from his place on the concrete, lip already dripping with scarlet. He stared down at his bloodied shirt, ready to cry but not willing to have the bully see him even weaker.

“Did you hear me loser!? GIVE ME YOUR-“Before he could finish, there was a noise of struggle, then silence. Junsu looked up only to see his bully strewn out across the street, unconscious, and a tall and stocky male standing over him. Junsu felt his heart almost stop in his chest. Was this guy going to pummel his face into the concrete instead?

“S-Stand up,” the giant said softly, his back still towards Junsu, “He won’t b-bother you anymore, so just g-go home and take care of that n-nose.” Junsu blinked, still in shock, when his savior turned around and looked at him. He was scared of him for sure, but somewhere, deep inside, he thought Taecyeon was absolutely beautiful.

Call it cliché, but Junsu didn’t see Taecyeon again until after his Junior High days. It was freshman orientation and Junsu had been gathered together with Junho and Chansung, excited to finally be in high school. The principle of Seoul High was giving the introductory speech when the doors opened and a few late kids were ushered in. Junsu looked over with the rest of the student body, only to see Taecyeon walking by, effectively taking his breath away and scaring him at the same time. The way Taecyeon stared ahead, firm, bold, it was both scary and perfect and Junsu realized if he indeed went to the same school as his savior from those years passed, he would finally be able to say "thank you." 

“Jun Hyung, spacing out isn’t attractive,” Junho spoke into his ear, finally catching the older male’s attention and having him zone back in to his surroundings. It was lunch break, and Junsu had sat with Junho and Chansung at their regular table, the spot before him empty as usual and Chansung sneaking food off of Junsu’s plate whenever he saw the chance.

“What?” Junho laughed cheerfully just as Chansung reached his hand over to steal the red head’s banana. Junho saw him just before the deed was done, and slapped the tall boy’s hand away from his food.

“You’re not a monkey Chansung, stop trying to take my banana!”

“But you’re not even eating it!”

“Well it’s for me to not eat!”

“You’re a terrible Hyung!”

“What kind of Dongsaeng are you then?!” Junsu figured zoning out was his one escape from Chanho hell, and was just about get back to his alternate universe when something caught his eye, and pretty much the entire student body. The doors were pushed open and a small male walked through, his hair spiked up and his eyes wandering everywhere like he was searching for something. The female student body began to talk first, questioning who the small but obviously attractive male was and if he had a girlfriend. Typical, really. The unknown boy looked around again, until his eyes landed on a table and a smile touched his lips. He ran suddenly towards the table and into a shocked boy’s arms. The café went insane, and Junsu couldn’t help but wonder who he was hugging and why there was this nagging feeling boiling inside of him. The larger male being hugged stood with the short one still in his arms, and Junsu felt his stomach drop. Who the hell was that guy to hug his Taecyeon like that? So close, in such a warm way that you could tell how close they were. Taecyeon never showed such affection towards anyone, as far as Junsu knew, but he hugged the boy like he never wanted to let him go.

Junsu still couldn’t focus, not when that Taecyeon stealing shorty entered his classroom wearing the uniform, not when he introduced himself as Jay Park from the United States, and not when he gave a stupid smile that made his eyebrow twitch in annoyance. What did he have that Junsu didn’t? Junsu picked up his pen and wrote Taecyeon’s name on the side of his worksheet, out of habit, but he paused after he saw what he had written.

“Taecyeon & Jay Junsu”

“Ha, my name is longer!”

 

 

 

The interaction between Jay and Taec from this show I watched when Jay was still apart of 2PM inspired me to add him in. I really miss him with 2PM but I am still a loyal Jaywalker with him as he takes his solo road. I’m really happy for him. As for the story, I won’t reveal what Jay is to Taecyeon just yet. :) ^^

@Meyochan: Lol, aww! Thinking of it that way, it's even cuter. ! :)

@2pandavoice: Omo, hi there new reader, thank you so much for liking my story. I appreciate it! ^^