V

The Time It Takes To Grow

The sun breathed life into its inhabitants, shining so brightly the darkest clouds would fail to cover her. Taecyeon felt her breath touch his lips as the sound of birdie Junsu met his sensitive ears. His eyes opened quickly, looking towards his friend to see him perched against the cage bars, staring at him with eyes of what felt like happiness. It took Taecyeon a moment to function before the sheets were falling into a pool at his lap and his hands were wiping away at his watering eyes. Morning was never a problem for Taecyeon, who had by now learned that if not for himself, he would always miss school. He pushed himself out of bed and headed turned towards the cage, decided that Junsu could at least have a small bath in the sink while he took a shower, just to be fair. He unlocked the cage and Junsu happily shook his already ruffled feathers before jumping into the palm of his hand. Having Junsu’s bright demeanor and small form was a happy awakening for Taecyeon, who already felt more awake than ever before just by little Junsu jumping around in the palm of his hand. He stalked towards the bathroom, opening the door with his free hand and placing his little bird in the sink as he turned around to get the shower started. After plugging up the sink, he picked up Junsu and let the tap run for a moment, turning it off when he thought it was enough. Junsu willingly hopped into the small puddle of water, pipping happily as he splashed water everywhere and picked at his wings. Taecyeon found himself standing there with the oddest, misplaced smile on his face just by the sight. He shook his head to dispel his murky thoughts and took his shower before the water ran cold. When he exited the shower again, Junsu had splashed water all over the mirror and the floors. Taecyeon had to admit that it was cute. While he found a large towel to wrap around his waist and another to dry his wet hair, he found a small towel he would used to wrap Junsu up to dry him off.

“Okay, Junsu. Here are the rules. No eating all of my food, or going through my personal things, arraso?” He talked to the little bird situated in his hand, fully fed and energized.

“Pip!”

“Then I’ll leave you out in my room, but don’t touch anything.” Junsu’s small feet met the floor.

“PIP!” Taecyeon smiled, feeling proud about getting his point across, and turned his back on Junsu. He walked towards his door, only to hear little scratching noises behind him. He turned back.

“Junsu, no.”

“Pip.” He started walking again, more scratching noises. When he turned back Junsu was right against him, looking up at him. Maybe it would be harder than the human thought; Junsu could be very persistent when he wanted to be.

“Junsu, you can’t. Just stay put and be a good bird. I’ll give you worms when I get home, okay?

“Pip!” This time, when Taec started for the door, Junsu stayed put.

“What a trickster!”

School came with an odd feeling of sentiment and a missing twinge in Taecyeon’s heart. He wasn’t sure if it was because of his guilt over leaving itty bitty Junsu behind, or the fact that he would go another day with being ignored by Kim Junsu. His heart gave an uncomfortable beat as his bus parked in one of the many empty parking lots and the students filed off. He found himself in the line, anticipating. His anticipation was something that couldn’t be helped or stopped or remotely understandable. He just wanted to see him so badly that is became a steady pain mingling with his footsteps. His eyes cast shadows along the passing heads, zoning in, zoning out, until he saw him, just up ahead. Junsu walked with a sweet air around him, his hair bouncing with the passing wind only to fall back into place just so perfectly. Taecyeon felt his pace fasten, walking closer and closer. He couldn’t help it, finding his way almost directly behind Junsu, following him much like an unintentional stalker. Was it his fault that just the sight of Junsu’s back sent his heart into overdrive? All he had to do was branch out and tap his shoulder, say hello, maybe smile a little. But Taecyeon couldn’t. It was just too hard.

And in the end he regretted it. He regretted not taking the mere seconds needed to gain Junsu’s attention, to make him see that Taecyeon too is a human, a loving giant that cares about him more than he could admit. He regretted just being a follower in the crowd, for not having the courage he so desperately needed. Taecyeon felt regret, and with that regret was guilt.

“Why are you so down today?” Nichkhun asked quietly as the trio of him, Wooyoung, and Taec sat together during their free block of time. Taecyeon lay back on the grass that tickled his bare arms and the piece of flesh not hidden by his shirt. The sun was covered, covered up that the sky looked bland, but Taecyeon liked it that way. He liked boring and bland because they were easy to achieve.

“I’m not down.”

“You’re not so up either. What’s wrong?”

“Nothin-“

“Tell me.” Taecyeon liked that Nichkhun was worried, it made him feel important.

“I could have talked to Junsu today, but I didn’t.”

“Why not?”

“I’m scared.” Taecyeon knows he can’t hide anything from Nichkhun even if he tried. SO it was better to just be honest.

“What is there to be scared of Taec? He’s a thousand times smaller than you.”

“I’m serious. He scares me. Someone like him is intimidating to approach.”

“Your thinking too much. Just say hi and leave. You don’t have to force yourself to stay if you’re not ready. Just a hi should be fine.”

“Easy for you to say.”

“You never just said hi to me! It took you months-“Nichkhun quickly covered Wooyoung’s mouth, the younger male having a face of offense. Taecyeon laughed at their interaction, feeling much better.

“Just a hi should be fine.”

 


I’m shocked I could even finish this chapter. I was so upset today, you would not believe. T>T


@Addicted-2U: ^^ I really like birds, lol. And you’re welcome.

@banana126: I thought it would be really cute if birdie Junsu was just a sweetie bird that’s attached to Taecyeon and Taec likes having a companion at home. :)