Who am I?

Forget-me-not?

 

I closed my eyes to cherish the hug with him, but he didn’t return my hug nor show any response to it. What’s wrong? I looked at his face to see his eyes are staring directly at me. I loosened the hug and continue to look at him, confused. Confused because he didn’t hug me back. Those arms that used to embrace me and give me comfort are just hanging lazily beside his body. And those eyes that used to look at me with affection are now just staring blankly at me. What’s wrong?

“J-jaejoong?”

“W-who are you?”

Who am I? Those three words echoed to my ear for a time that seems to be eternity. Who am I? Well, I’m just a girl who is luckily your childhood friend and eventually became your best friend too. A girl who luckily escaped death years ago from the hands of Jessica. A girl whom you fought for and she did the same for your relationship. A girl whom you gave an engagement ring to. A girl who is your fiancé, Jaejoong. Your fiancé.

‘W-what?’ was the only word that manages to escape my mouth. “I asked you who are you?” he replied back, coldly. I was taken aback by his coldness, but thinking that he is just playing with me, I laughed sarcastically. “Well, Kim Jaejoong, let me introduce myself. I’m Lee Mi Yeo and I’m your best friend and fortunately, your -“ “Ahh~ I remember you,” he cut my ‘introduction’. Remember? But remembering is done after forgetting. “You’re the girl that my parents are forcing me to remember in the hospital,” he continued. “H-hospital?” I managed to ask back. “Yep. Hospital. I was admitted there 3 months ago because of a car accident. But nothing to worry about, my thinking wasn’t affected. You didn’t know about this?” he told me. Car accident? Somebody needs to explain me this one. And he dare say that his thinking wasn’t affected? What.

“I just came back from London, Jaejoong-ssi,” I don’t know how I managed to respond to his questions when obviously; I’m wounded by his words. “London? What a coincidence! We just went there before I was included in the car accident,” he explained with a hint of delight from his voice. “W-we?” If he doesn’t remember me, why would he say ‘we’? “Yep, ‘we’. Me and my fiancé, Seohyun.” Thank God he remembers he has a fiancé -

Wait.

Seohyun? Who the hell is she?

Tears started building up in my eyes. Who is Seohyun? Why the hell does he say that she is his fiancé? Then what am I huh? A fool? “S-seohyun?” “Yah, I thought you’re my best friend? How didn’t you know about her? I proposed to her way back before we went to London. Maybe we didn’t meet each other back there so you didn’t get to see her. You know, she’s kind and beautiful. She was there beside me the moment I woke up in the hospital. Though my parents didn’t know her. Weird isn’t it? She’s my fiancé yet my parents don’t know her,” he explained. You asked me if it is weird? Of course it is weird. Why do you keep saying that she is your fiancée? Your fiancé is me, Jaejoong. Me.

“Here is her picture by the way,” he said as he picked up that familiar picture frame I was about to grab earlier. I was dumbfounded. Our picture used to be in that picture frame, but now, it is her picture? Hesitantly, I reached out for that frame he’s giving out to me. I looked at him first before letting my eyes see the fiancé he is saying. He’s smiling. He’s happy. “Well, it’s more like a picture of us, I’m sorry,” he told me while I was looking at their picture. She’s pretty. She’s flawless. They’re happy. They’re perfect for each other.

The tears that used to build up in my eyes managed to flow on my cheeks, yet I let out a little laugh escaped my mouth. “Yah, are you crying?” he asked. He dares to ask. “Of course,” I exclaimed, “I’m happy for you, Kim Jaejoong,” I smiled while giving back the picture frame. No I’m not. “It’s just I regret not being there for you during the recovery, but now, I’m happy that you’re happy and you’re even getting married,” I said as tears continue to fall but I still smiled at him, hiding how hurt I really am. “Really? Thank you. I thought no one is happy with my marriage, even my parents are against it. Even my long-time buddy Yunho, he said that this marriage isn’t right. But you, Mi Yeo-ssi, believed in me,” he said while smiling at me, as if what he’s saying is right from his sincere heart. I wiped the tears on my cheeks by the back of my hand and said, “Naah~ that’s nothing. I’m your best friend remember?” Just your best friend. I stood there to what seems like forever, indulging every pain this guy is giving me. “I have to keep going, Jaejoong. Bye,” I finally said. He replied, “See you next time!” with a big smile as if nothing is wrong.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm sorry if I used Seohyun here. I know she's kind and pure but I think she's the best choice for this character.

And Jaejoong's amnesia here is likely Jun Pyo's amnesia in the drama Boys Over Flowers. He forgot only one person who is the most important for him or the one who's been in his mind all the time.