Familiarity.

Forget-me-not?

 

I can literally hear my heartbeat while I’m in front of the mirror. This is the day of your wedding, Jaejoong. But why are you nervous? Why are you kind of scared?

I used both of my arms to support myself as I leaned it to inspect the ring Mi Yeo gave me yesterday. Why is this ring so familiar to me? Have I seen it before? But whe -

“Is the groom all ready?” Yunho barged in the room. I looked at him with a confused face and all he did was leaned his back to the door. “Why that face Jaejoong?” he asked me. I looked back at the ring on table. Behind my back, Yunho secretly peeped on what I’m looking at, then went back to lean again against the door. “It’s from Mi Yeo huh?” he asked again. “H-how did you know?” I replied back with another question. He just shrugged and crossed his arms. “Tell me honestly Yunho, what was Mi Yeo-ssi for me before the accident?” I told him. “Only you can answer that, Jaejoong,” he replied. “H-how can I -“ I stuttered as my mind is completely confused. He sighed and said, “Open the topmost drawer under that table,” he commanded. I don’t have any time to waste so I hastily opened the drawer. In that drawer, all I saw were document papers, folders, a ball pen, and a . . . bracelet?

I took out the bracelet and observed it. It is a bracelet made out of seashells with a ‘forever’ engraved on the small metal plaque in the middle. I looked back at Yunho and he started talking, “Your face tells me that that bracelet is familiar to you, isn’t it? Well, that bracelet was taken off from your wrist while you’re in comatose in the hospital for almost a week or two. It is a friendship bracelet, Jaejoong. But not with me, you gave it to Mi Yeo-ssi way back during your childhood with her. Your mom decided to keep it in that drawer because we hadn’t thought that you’ll need that when you wake up. We regretted it afterwards, seeing you don’t remember Mi Yeo and even the bracelet. We hadn’t thought that this day would come when we need to show that to you. Mi Yeo-ssi is your -“

 

Another brigade of memory flashes right before my eyes.

I was sitting on a grass field with a girl of my age. “It’s a friendship bracelet . . . is it enough to prove to you that I will never forget you?”

Then there I was, crying in a school bench with Mi Yeo hugging me. “You can cry freely now.” And she accompanied me home.

I held Mi Yeo’s hand and asked her if she could be my girlfriend. She said yes and I hugged her with all my might.

“Happy 1st Anniversary, Mi Yeo-ah,” I cooed to her when we went to a yacht port.

I smiled at her as she orders the same food in our favorite restaurant.

No one is against our relationship.

Then I met again Jessica in a café. We dated behind Mi Yeo’s back.

She asked me to go to Lotte World with her.

We sat on a bench near the amusement park.

“You still love her, don’t you?” she looked at me with tears streaming down her cheeks.

“You’re free now.”

I heard the sound of the gun and saw her threw her own body in front of me. A bullet pierced right through her skin and flesh and she fell with blood pooling around her.

I pleaded her to wake up. She opened her eyes and smiled at me.

I knelt in front of her and brought out a ring. “Will you be the mom of my future daughter and be my wife?” I shyly asked. She smiled sheepishly and nodded.

We went to London together but after 3 months, I went back to Korea.

I was driving towards home when suddenly ‘crooooosh’. Then everything went black.

 

“ . . . Mi Yeo-ssi is your -“

Fiancé? She’s my fiancé?