Childhood Memories.

Forget-me-not?

 

“Oppa look! That butterfly has black and red wings. It’s so cool!” I giggled while lying down beside Jaejoong on a grass field. He didn’t respond so I looked at my left to check on him. He’s not moving. “O-oppa? Jaejoong oppa? Yah, Jae oppa?” I sat up to shake his figure but no matter how hard I shook his body, he doesn’t show any sign of reaction. Tears started building up in my eyes. “Oppa~ Jaejoong-ah!” I started to cry. Is he dead? We we’re just running around a minute ago. And now he’s --

“Boo!” Jaejoong surprised me like he was playing peek-a-boo with a baby.

“Yah! I w-was worri - “ I can’t finish my sentence off because I started to cry more and unfortunately, sobbed too. I covered my face with my little hands then Jaejoong sat up and hugged me, putting my head on his chest. “I was just playing with you, Miyeo-ah” he said as he rubbed my back, trying to sooth me and to stop my crying. “B-but I thought you were dead and will forget me . . . forever,” I managed to say in between my sobs as I look at his face. “Will forget you? Me? Naah~ why would I ever do that? I’m sorry, okay? I was just fooling you,” he reasoned more. I started to hit his chest with my fists and say ‘Pabo, pabo~ Jaejoong pabo~’ still, while crying. He blocked my left fist and put something around my wrist. “W-what is this? Do you think I’ll forgive you just because you gave me a bracelet?” I asked him, looking at his face. It’s a bracelet made out of seashells with silver plaque in the middle saying ‘Forever’. He showed me his wrist with a bracelet similar to mine. “It’s a friendship bracelet, that’s what the saleslady said to me when we visited a store in Europe last week. Me giving it to you means that I will never forget you and our friendship. I don’t know though why that word ‘forever’ is engraved there, but surely I will never take this off. Is it enough to prove to you that I will never forget you?” he explained to me while looking at my bracelet then back to his.

I just smiled and hugged him this time. “Oppa, you promise me that you’ll never ever forget me?” I asked him. He just nodded. “Even if we reach high school?” Another nod. “How about college?” “Never.” “Even when we already have jobs?” “Yep. You ask too many questions huh. Now get on my back, I’ll give you a ride, our moms are waiting for us back there in the garden” he said while turning his back at me so I can get on. When I’m already comfortable, Jaejoong shouted, “To the barbecue party we go!” I laughed and enjoyed the rest of the ride.