By the Numbers

The Leaf and the Legends

One week.  It had been one week since the ambitious group of high school graduates set off on a mission unlike any other. Initially finding the introspective unicorn, Yixing, on the first day out, it seemed as though things would continue to progress at the same quick pace, and that all 12 Legends would be reunited within the month... That however, was not the case at all. 

Despite Mina sensing a Legend near by, the following day proved to be unfruitful. It wasn't too worrisome at first, but then the group didn't find another Legend the next day, or the day after that. And in the blink of an eye, an entire week had passed them by with no change to their numbers.

There was however, changes made during the week in terms of group arrangement.  

Thanks to Daniel's diligent and meticulous planning, the group had acquired a second vehicle for transportation. This change, caused a shift in the group dynamic. With certain people traveling with Mina one day, Lyn the next and Daniel the following, it became a unique experience for all involved. Of course, the notion of being separated into two groups wasn't ideal, but the Legends knew that as long as they were still committed to the same goal, things would be fine. The change also gave them the opportunity to talk and share stories with one another more intimately than before. 

Everyday that passed, was a new re-telling of different memories from both sides of the group. And in comparison, the stories that the Legends told were much more remarkable than those that Lyn, Daniel and Mina shared, yet the Legends seemed to be fascinated just the same. 

So for a week, the group had not changed in number, but they had grown closer, which was both good and bad. Especially with predicted ending to their adventure being separation.

Almost halfway done, the topic had been coming up in conversation more frequently, and the consensus always seemed to be the same. The Legends would leave as soon as possible.

The only one who vocalized differently, was Kyungsoo. Still very convinced that Mina was unusual for a reason, a reason he created, he strongly believed that she would also depart with them when the time came. 

- - -

"D.O.'s pretty confident about his theories isn't he?"

"Mmmmm...?"

"That's all he talked about in the car yesterday..." Walking out of the Motel bathroom, drying her hair, Lyn sat beside Mina on the bed. "I must have heard the term 'other half' over a dozen times."

"Yeah."

"Do you think it's true?" Lyn questioned, eyeing her friend.

"Huh?"

"Stop reading and answer, I didn't get to talk with you yesterday!"

"That's because you didn't ride with me,"  Mina replied, looking over to Lyn from The Book of Legends. "You also crashed into the bed as soon as we got here, so I couldn't talk with you last night." 

"Exactly! So talk with me now."

"...Did you know that all the Legends respective powers were heightened after they were all brought together by the Tree of Life?" Putting the book back up to her line of vision, Mina continued reading. "...And through the divine power, the Legends continued to watch over and guard the tree from all that coveted it's heart..."

"Hey! Pay attention to me!" Lyn yelled, hitting Mina with the damp towel in her hands. "Do you think he's right?"

Tilting her head and sighing, Mina paused for a moment as she thought. "Well... his other theories seem to be right."

"Are you serious?" Lyn exclaimed, her eyes wide. "You really think you're Chanyeol's 'destined half' or whatever?"

"Why not? He's my style. Right?"

"Mina! You can't be serious! I mean D.O. is smart and all but... that theory."

Smirking at Lyn's small breakdown, Mina patted her friend on the back. "I was joking... Chanyeol doesn't believe in it. Why should I?"

Glaring at the girl with the book in her hands, Lyn continued to dry her short hair. "That wasn't a very good joke." Putting the towel down, she scowled for a moment, before a pensive look crossed her face. "It's going to be hard enough to see them leave... I don't need you leaving on top of that."

"I know."

"Dammit. I've been trying to not get too attached, but it's hard." 

Smiling and sympathizing Mina nodded. "Yeah... I'm sure it's not just us though..." Saying those words, the image of Kris's torn expression flashed in Mina's mind. "...Like Yi Fan. I didn't tell you eariler but..."

"He totally likes you," Lyn finished. 

"Wha?"

"Come on, I'm not blind, we all can tell."

"We?" 

"Yeah, we even talked about it yesterday. Me, Tao, D.O. and Daniel."

falling open slightly, Mina stared at Lyn. "You talked about it?"

"Yep. That's why Kyungsoo kept bringing up the 'other half' stuff."

"But... Why didn't you tell me you knew earlier?" Mina asked.

"You never brought it up, so I didn't think it was an issue."

"Of course it's an issue!"

"Why?" Lyn asked casually.

"Well... no one, no one has ever liked me before..." Suddenly feeling timid, Mina's voice softened. "So... I don't know what to do."

Chuckling lightly at her friend, Lyn shook her head and stood up from the bed. "What's there to do? Just let him like you."

"But..."

"Mina, there's no harm in him liking you, even if you aren't the same species or whatever. I mean, I like Tao. There's no harm in that. Right?"

"But... he's really serious..." Recalling the warm large hand he firmly placed on her shoulder, Mina remembered the sincerity in his voice. "He hasn't brought it up since, but he asked me what I saw him as."

Sensing her friend's somber attitude, Lyn's smile faded. "So, what did you tell him?"  

Frowning, Mina looked up at Lyn. "I told you, I don't know what to do... I didn't answer him."

"Well, do you... like him?"

"I like all the Legends."

"But do you like Kris more?" Lyn questioned.

"I don't know... We spend a lot of time together, but I think that's just because he's more comfortable around me... I'm comfortable around all of them." 

"So?"

"So... I like them all the same?"

Slightly relieved by the answer, Lyn turned back to re-enter the bathroom to hang up the towel. "Then just tell him that! As long as you don't really fall for him or Chanyeol or any of the others. It's not a big deal." Walking back and putting her short hair in a pony tail, Lyn caught a small glimpse of  Mina's dazed expression before hearing a knock at the door.

"Roll Call!" 

Recognizing Chanyeol's deep voice, Lyn looked at Mina. "Ready to go?"

Distracted from her thoughts, Mina smiled half-heartedly, "Yeah." 

- - -

"So what's today's arrangement?" Kyungsoo asked, walking out of the small motel lobby. 

"I'm driving this time!" Lyn said enthusiastically. "Mina drove the last two days so it's my turn."

"Okay, so the cars are split between myself and Lyn," Daniel announced.  

"I feel like driving again today." Mina suddenly said, walking up behind them and leaning against the closer parked vehicle.

"They're my cars. I always drive one," Daniel replied flatly. 

"Well you deserve a rest. Plus, you can still lead us. The front side passenger is usually the navigator anyway."

"No thanks. Let's just make it between you and me, Lyn doesn't have to drive."

"I agree with Mina," Lay said, lowering the small box of cereal in his hands. "You're not well rested."

"And your face looks a bit swollen today," Chanyeol added, lightly tapping on Daniel's cheeks. 

Looking around Daniel scowled, "Is this a mutiny?"

Grinning, Mina nodded. "Yep!"

Letting himself give in, Daniel let out an annoyed breath. "Fine. It's between Mina and Lyn today." 

"Alright!" 

"I'm going with Lyn. I'll feel more comfortable not driving if I have an eye on her," Daniel said first.

"What!? I am the best driver here!" Lyn retorted.

"Yeah, but you forget that it's not your car! It's mine. You're too rough with it."

Shaking her head in reply, Lyn crossed her arms. "So who else will join the leading team?"

"Shouldn't Mina lead?" Kris asked. 

Hearing the dragon speak, all eyes fell on him. Having said less than the naturally quiet Yixing in the past week, most of the group had seemed to forget what his voice sounded like and hearing it again caught them by surprise. 

"We haven't found anyone in a while, I was thinking we should switch the leading team to Mina."

Smirking, Tao nodded his head in agreement. "That sounds like a good idea." 

"But..." Mina spoke up, lowering her eyes to the ground. " I haven't sensed anything in the past five days..."  

"I know," Kris replied. "But I still think you should lead."

"Kris is right! A little switch up can't hurt." Chanyeol added, placing his hands on Mina's shoulders, making her look up at him. "We just haven't been close enough for you to pick up anything." Straightening up and turning around, Chanyeol stood beside Mina. "I'll go with the leading team."

"So, we have Daniel and me in one and Mina, Chanyeol and Kris in the other. Who do you guys want to go with?" Lyn asked, turning to the remaining Legends. 

"I'll be in the support team this time," Kris said.    

"Really?" Lyn asked suspiciously. "Don't you wanna be with Min-"

"Okay," Daniel interrupted, becoming impatient. "This is taking too long. Everyone just choose a car and let's head out."

Dispersing into two groups, Mina remained in her place watching Kris walk towards the opposite vehicle. With him not looking back, she couldn't help but wonder what was going through the dragon's mind at the time. Seeing him close the door, Mina finally turned back around to find that her own car door was already opened for her. Walking around and climbing inside, she was greeted by Chanyeol's effervescent and perpetual smile.

"Daniel already told me the location, I already put it in the GPS. We're ready to go!"

Returning the grin, Mina took a look at the digital screen and began to lead the group.

  - - -

As things were, the two cars were split into two groups of four, with the leading car driven by Mina, co-navigated by Chanyeol and joined by Lay and Tao. The second vehicle had Lyn driving, Daniel navigating and Kris and Kyungsoo riding along. Headed to yet another location, which was easily out in the middle of nowhere once more, the group was close to hitting over 2,000 total miles traveled.

It was the most Lyn and Mina had ever traveled outside of their town and the further they got, the more they took in the gravity of what they were doing. And though it was easy for them to ignore the big picture most of the time, whenever they'd stop in a new town, camp or find a motel for the night, they always had rare moments of reflection.   

Having been driving for well over an hour now, it would be another three hours before they'd stop... unless of course, Mina picked up on anything. But if things continued they way they had been, Mina would sense nothing and they'd keep driving on. For the girl who had seemed to find one Legend after the other with no real effort, things were becoming difficult. So much seemed to be reliant on her ability, that with each day that passed, she was starting to feel useless.

Eyes focused sternly on the road, Mina was determined. Today she had to find another. She had to. 

"Stop worrying." 

"Huh? I'm not worried," Mina replied, looking over to the passenger side. 

Sighing, Chanyeol stretched his left arm out and touched her forehead, "You get this particular crease on your face when you're in a bad mood or worried." 

Her tight expression fading as he tapped the spot where the crease was, Mina bashfully turned her head back. "Your arms are really really long."

Putting his arm down and stretching both of them above his head, touching the top of the SUV, he chuckled. "You're just short."

"No... I'm normal height for a human. You all are really tall."

"But even Lyn comes past my chin," Chanyeol replied, physically demonstrating where Lyn's head came up to.

"You can't make Lyn the standard. She's always been taller than everyone else."  

"Well I only have you, Lyn and Daniel to go by and Daniel's the same height as Lay. So you're just short."

Seeing the crease make it's way back to Mina's forehead, Chanyeol laughed.

"It isn't a bad thing being short. Our leader and guardian, Joonmyun is short."

"You mean Suho?" Mina asked, wondering how short he was.

"Yes, he's the same height as Kyungsoo."

Feeling suddenly deflated, Mina tilted her head back at Chanyeol. "That's not short at all."

"I know," Chanyeol said, grinning playfully. "But his, Xuimin's, Chen's and Kyungsoo's heights are the shortest amongst us." 

"So your shortest members share the same height as Lyn..."

"Yep."

"Fine... I'm just short then," Mina finally admitted in defeat.

"I said it wasn't a bad thing."

"Yeah...yeah.

Letting the conversation end and with Tao and Lay preoccupied with the large map of the new county they were about to enter, the inside of the vehicle grew silent for a while. Busy with her own thoughts before, Mina didn't realized just how quiet Chanyeol had been since the trip began. Usually, the two would talk non stop about whatever crossed their minds and the others would join in.

Now looking over to Chanyeol, Mina saw a thoughtful expression painted on his face. Rare moments like these, always caught Mina slightly off guard. The phoenix was one to always smile no matter what, so catching the times when he looked concerned or pensive were unique and strangely charming.     

Silently liking the image of Chanyeol in thought, Mina's eyes found themselves drifting back from the road to the person beside her. It went on for a while until she looked at him again and found his almond shaped eyes looking back at her.

"Sorry!" Mina bursted out saying suddenly.

"What?"

"Ah... nothing."  

"Mina..." Chanyeol began in a steady voice, "Would you hate it if Kyungsoo is right?"

Taking a moment to understand what he meant Mina's eyes widened. "You mean-"

"I was starting to think that it wouldn't be bad if it was you, but you hate it right?"

"I- I thought you hated it."

"Initially, I did. Just because the idea that you had no choice in the matter, was something I didn't like."

"But now... you like it?" Mina asked, taking in Chanyeol's seriousness.

"Well, if you do."

Feeling her heartbeat accelerate, Mina's eyes met with Chanyeol's for a brief second.

Suddenly, the sensation she had last felt a few days ago was finally back. And it was stronger than ever. Looking back at the road, Mina knew that no more than 10 miles away was not one Legend, but two.

- - -