Alteration

The Leaf and the Legends

The idea, or rather the notion that 'everything happens for a reason' was something Mina strongly believed in. And with all the abnormal things that she had been experiencing and taking part in of recent, she had no reason not to believe in it. Whether it was forgetting to let the dogs in, or leaving the house late, everything happened for a reason. There was no such thing as an isolated event... But watching as the unthinkable occurred right in front of her, Mina could not even begin to grasp why it was happening. What reasoning was behind this cause of events?  

Looking to Lyn's immobile body, Mina went numb. Her most precious friend lay at her feet bleeding... It couldn't be real. She was only dreaming. It was just a nightmare. Touching her own face, Mina felt the the liquid that had splattered onto her. Seeing the bright red blood on her finger tips, she began shaking and fell to the ground. It was real. The girl began hyperventilating; her short breaths transforming into heavy sobbing.

Lyn was dying, the first person who loved and accepted her as she was. The one person that was always on her side no matter what. The only person in the world that always made her laugh and smile. The person that reminded Mina that people outside her family were able to love and value her for who she was. Her Lyn was dying. Letting the thought sink in and hearing Lyn's shallow breathing; Mina looked up.   

The rouge Chaser that had struck Lyn down had run off distancing itself, but remained still in view.   

Wiping the tears from her eyes, Mina stood up. She was no longer herself. The careless and childish seventeen year old who viewed the world optimistically remained by Lyn's side; crying for her friend. The Mina that rose from her place feared nothing in or out of the world; including the Chaser that had attacked her friend. The hands resting at her sides tightened into clenched fists and her usual bright eyes were hollow and emotionless.

The girl glared at the Chaser, her brown eyes beginning to glow a bright golden color. Spreading her right hand out so that her fingertips were parted, the girl began pushing off the earth beneath her feet. Her light steps were reminiscent of those of the Legends. Never before had Mina moved so gracefully or so quickly; it was almost as if she was flying.  

Watching everything from the SUV, Daniel was speechless. There was something more frightening about the girl's current state than the threat of the faceless creatures that had attacked them. Despite his fear, he ran out and over to Lyn; quickly working to stop her blood loss.

Darting across the field towards the Chaser, Mina outstretched her right hand as a bright blue fire sprouted from her palm. Slamming the pure fire into the head of the faceless Chaser; she easily ended its existence. Although Mina had avenged Lyn, she wasn't done yet. She could still sense the remaining forms created by the Red Force and moved in the direction where the other Legends had run off to.    

- - -

In the depths of the dry and forested area, the Legends had found Lay. He had been surrounded by many low level Chasers and they watched as he easily defeated them without much effort. Sensing their presence, Yixing looked over his shoulder and smirked. But before he had the chance to reunite with them, a second wave of Chasers took form. More intimidating in appearance, they looked less human with bigger and heavier bodies, almost resembling a gorilla's silhouette. 

With the other Legends ready to fight at his side, Lay began the attack with the others following his solid lead. Despite being the first to make a move, Lay's fighting style was more defensive. Known as a healer, the defensive style best suited his abilities and personality; just as the direct and aggressive style Tao used was best suited to his own abilities.

With five Legends taking an active part in the fight, the conflict ended quickly. Finally getting the chance to greet his brothers, Lay was then attacked by an overexcited Chanyeol and an exuberant Tao and D.O. 

Walking back with their newly found brother, they learned that Lay had also been wondering the earth after his own entrance. As all the Legends were natural adapters, it was no surprise that Lay had also managed to go around quietly; determined to find the others.

"So a human brought you here?" Lay questioned, being caught up. 

"Mina! Her name is Mina!" Chanyeol chimed.

"A human girl named Mina?"

"I was surprised too," Kyungsoo added. "She's really just a girl of this planet."

"She's more than that though. It's hard to explain. You'll understand when you meet her," Tao said.     

"I see," Lay replied calmly. He then looked over to Kris. The dragon hadn't said much, or rather hadn't said anything at all. Originally being close to the Legend he called his 'leader', Lay knew something was wrong so he blatantly confronted Kris. "What's on your mind?"

"Mina!"  Chanyeol yelled, suddenly seeing a girl's figure rush past them and further into the forest. 

"What?" Lay questioned, turning his own head in the direction the girl ran.  

"That wasn't Mina," Kris said, not sensing the girl's usual energy.         

"Yes it was!" 

"No... that can't be her," Tao replied, confused but agreeing with Kris. "It can't be."

"Who was it then?" D.O. asked, also perplexed. 

"What?" Lay repeated, more confused than the others. 

"It's her!" the phoenix yelled. Seeing the other's resistance to follow, Chanyeol didn't understand. It was Mina. No longer hesitating, Chanyeol took off after the unusually fast moving girl, leaving the others to follow him. 

Not seeming to notice her pursuers, Mina continued to hunt Chasers. They were all extremely low level, but to a human, they still posed a threat. She'd destroy them all.  

One by one, the Chasers scattered about, but their feeble attempts were no match for Mina's newly discovered ability. She snuffed them out, the lot of them, and with another flame emerging from her palm, the girl lifted into the air, her feet no longer touching the ground. Setting her sights on the last remaining enemy, Mina skillfully threw the fire in her hand and engulfed it in the flame, eliminating the final threat.  

Coming closer on the scene, Chanyeol had witnessed the whole thing. The fire attack, her glowing golden eyes, her lifting into the air... he saw it all. In fact, he could still see her floating above him. Not sure what to do, he merely uttered her name. 

"Mina?" 

The girls's head turning to Chanyeol's direction, she awoke for a second, recognizing the boy below her.

"Chanyeol?" the girl murmured in reply. With her uttering of the Legend's name, the golden glow disappeared from her eyes and caused Mina's head to fall back as gravity pulled her down from her hovering state.

Caught by a quick reacting Chanyeol, Mina fell into unconsciousness. 

"What has happened?" the first-to-arrive Kris questioned. Eyes falling on the girl in Chanyeol's arms, Kris yelled in surprise. "Mina!" Shocked by her disheveled appearance and by the fact that the girl that had passed by them alarmingly fast, was her, the dragon became speechless.

"Mina?" Kyungsoo said, taking in the sight. "There's blood on her face!"

"Chanyeol, what happened?" Tao asked wide eyed.

"I'm not sure, she just..." 

"Is she hurt?" Kyungsoo asked, turning to Lay. 

All eyes on Yixing, the healer had been watching everything calmly. Working his way closer to the girl, he lifted his hand above her and softly closed his eyes. 

Waiting eagerly for his diagnosis, the Legends fell silent.

Eyes opening and a small dimple in his cheek making itself visible as he smiled, Lay gave them the good news. "She's fine."

"That's a relief," Tao replied, a small relieved smile gracing his face.

"So whose blood is this?" Kyungsoo asked.

"Lyn, Daniel!" Tao yelled, taking off back to where they had left the humans.   

"There's others?" Lay questioned, following closely behind Tao and Kyungsoo.

"Two others, Lyn and Daniel." Sighing to himself, Kyungsoo shut his eyes briefly. "I hope they're okay."

"Why isn't Yi Fan coming along?" Lay questioned, noticing the absent dragon. 

"We'll explain that later..." D.O. answered, his voice trailing off. "Right now we need to keep moving. The other two may need you right now."

Keeping his eyes forward, Lay nodded and sped up, leaving the conversation for later.  

Back in the forest remained Chanyeol, Kris and the inactive Mina. 

"Take her," Chanyeol offered. "I'll take off after the others."

Looking from Mina to Chanyeol, Kris seemed to be struggling with himself. "I'll just accompany you back."   

"But you move the fastest with a passenger."

Nodding, Kris agreed to taking her, he had wanted to do so immediately but... 

Watching the older Legend closely as he handed Mina over, Chanyeol read the dragon's face and shook his head. "Stop being so hard on yourself. It was a simple mistake. We'll all do better next time." After patting Kris on the back, Chanyeol took off. 

Followed by Kris, Chanyeol arrived in time to see Lay urgently press his hands against Lyn's abdomen. It was an unnerving sight. Blood stained his hands and soaked Lyn's t-shirt. The girl herself, was out cold from trauma.

Of all of them, Daniel looked the most horrified. After the adrenaline rush of trying to do everything to stop Lyn's bleeding wore off, he was finally feeling the weight of the situation. And it was crushing him.    

"Will she be okay?" he muttered, covering his mouth with a blood colored hand. 

...

...

...

It was silent.

There was no answer to his question.  

Not yet.

- - -