History

The Leaf and the Legends

The two aliens and the girl sat silently at the kitchen table; all unsure of what to do next. Tao and Mina were still reeling from disbelief over Kris's inability to recognize or remember Tao. Sighing and running a hand through her brown hair, Mina was frustrated. At the very least she was glad to have found Tao, who now also wore the loose clothing of Mina's father. Looking over to the still visibly upset alien, she smiled hoping to lift his spirits a bit. He half heartedly returned the smile and looked back down. 

Kris sat upright with his arms crossed over his chest. He remained cautious of Tao, despite being told they were supposedly very close. It was true that he did sense the same unique power within Tao, but ever the cautious and calculating being he was, he was not yet ready to trust the words the boy spoke.

"Didn't you say you needed to find 'them'?" Mina asked looking over to Kris. "That was one of the first things you said to me, Tao repeated those words to me as well." Kris remained silent, a sign that he couldn't recall ever saying that.  "You really have no memory of ever saying that?"

This time the dragon immediately shook his head and looked over to Mina. "All I can remember now is you."

Tao bit his lip. "You really forgot me? You forgot all of us?" 

"Who is us?" Kris questioned coldly. 

"Our brethren! The other ten that share our same goal and fate!" Tao irrupted, standing from the table.  

Seeing Tao's building anger at Kris's careless attitude, Mina thought furiously. "Tao! The beginning. Maybe that will help. Even if it doesn't maybe it'll help convince him."

"Okay," Tao replied nodding. Although the current situation was cause for frustration, Mina was still excited to hear about Tao and Kris and their story. Maybe if Kris heard it he'd remember something and perhaps if Mina listened to the story, she could figure out her own role in everything happening.

Calming down, Tao took a breath and began explaining the History of the Legends.

- - - 

"So there are these '12 Legends' that were destined to save a dying planet with a tree heart? And all the symbols represent the different powers bestowed upon the quote "Legends" unquote?" 

"Well, if you're going to simplify it so drastically, I guess that's one way of summarizing things," Daniel replied, walking beside Lyn. After their last class of the day, Daniel showed Lyn the book and began explaining the contents inside to her. The two were now discussing it along their way to Mina's house.

"So what does any of this have to do with Mina?" Lyn asked, trying to get to the important stuff.

Daniel shrugged his shoulders. "The only other person that I know of to have drawn all those symbols is the very same person that wrote this book. Mina's in lonely company." Lyn looked down to the leather bound book in her hands.

"Supernatural powers, Legends from a distant planet, saving a world. It's really such a work of fantasy. Your dad's really into that stuff isn't he?"

"I guess... but he just collects things, I  honestly doubt he's ever read this one. You know, I don't think it's too far fetched anymore.  I mean I always thought it was just a silly story until I saw Mina drawing those symbols. I think there is something more to it."

"You really believe in this don't you?" Lyn asked, surprised at the class rep's honesty.

"Well, I don't know. It's just too coincidental."   

"You don't even know the half of it," Lyn quietly uttered to herself. Hearing the story, things were actually making sense to her now but what it had to do with her best friend was still a mystery. As Daniel continued to talk enthusiastically about the story, Lyn began feeling bad for withholding certain information, like the fact that Kris and now another  'Legend' had actually come to earth, from him.  He'd find out soon enough as they continued to approach Mina's house.   

- - - 

Eyes still wide in awe as Tao finished telling the story, Mina was overwhelmed with information. The story was more fantastic than she had imagined it to be. 12 Supernatural Legends coming together in unity to save the Tree of Life by dividing and hiding its precious heart. It was something right out of a movie. Turning her attention to Kris she saw that he was less impressed than her but seemed to be coming around. Tao also seemed to be in a better mood after sharing the story.  Breaking the silence first, Kris spoke.

"Let's say I believe you. What now?"

"Now we go find the others!" Tao replied. 

"How?" Kris asked.

At his question, Tao hesitated. He was unsure. In all honesty he couldn't say he found Kris on his own. Perhaps they would have eventually found each other but they were lucky they had landed not too far from each other. Usually the 12 were able to easily find each other, but on this planet there were too many pollutants blocking their long range sensing. Tao himself, only sensed Kris's presence after seeing him. What if the others weren't so close? What if some of the others also lost their memories? Anything was possible at this point. 

"However we start doesn't matter, we just need to start already. I know others aren't just standing around waiting. I bet they are looking for us." 

"We should still have a plan," Kris responded firmly. 

Tao nodded without a word. He felt slightly better with Kris being more receptive to him, and although he was still less than warm, his personality was still roughly the same. 

Sitting quietly Mina too wondered what they would do. It was a shame that they couldn't just tap into each other's minds. Though that would have been pretty amazing and befitting for them as 'Legends'.  That thought reminded her of a question she had.

"Tao, what does your signature mean?"

Looking down to his wrist, the gleam from the silver bracelet reflected in his coal eyes. The hourglass, the power to control time. "I am able to manipulate time and slow it down to the point of stopping it."      

A breathless utterance of 'wow' came from Mina as Tao explained his ability. "That's amazing! I thought Kris being able to channel a dragon was amazing, but time control!? Unbelievable!" Mina's amazed expression brought back the sweet and childish smile that had been missing from Tao's face. Kris, on the other hand, zoned in on Mina's words.  

"Channel a dragon? You think I channel dragons?" Kris asked Mina. 

"Yeah?... The night I first saw you there were flaming dragon wings behind you. Plus your signature is a dragon... Doesn't that make you a dragon something...?"

Tao laughed at Mina's explanation and innocent misunderstanding.  "He's not really a dragon, although he can fly like one."   

"HE CAN FLY!?"

Enjoying Mina's shock and awe, Tao continued. "He can. His dragon is symbolic of flight, but he also does have the ability to summon one. He's one of the strongest of the Legends, some of us even considered him to be our leader. I do...or did." Finishing his sentence Tao felt hurt once again.   

Hearing the time controller explain his powers to the girl, Kris started doubting his own doubts about Tao. The boy really knew a lot about him.  Kris looked over to Mina who was now staring at him wide eyed. 

"Can... you really fly?"

"I can," Kris responded, confirming Tao's spoken knowledge. Mina, excited to learn about their powers turned back to Tao.

"What about the others? What are their powers?" Just as Tao turned to face Mina and answer her question, a knock on the door was heard. Mina jumped up from the table.  "It must be Lyn and Daniel, just stay there a moment, I'll be back." She walked over to the door and just as she expected Lyn and Daniel stood on her door step.  Smiling brightly as she opened the door, She greeted her visitors. "Come on in!"

"I thought she was sick?" Daniel asked, turning to Lyn. 

"I lied," Lyn replied frankly causing Daniel to scowl. "Come inside."

Lead in by Mina, the pair entered the living room and saw the two sitting figures at the kitchen table. Tao looked at them curiously, while Kris paid no attention. Daniel recognized Kris from the other day, but the other boy, with the deep black eyes and curved mouth was unfamiliar and out of place. 

"Another cousin of yours?" Daniel asked, confused by Tao's presence. 

"Yep! Another cousin!" Mina instantly replied. 

"Mina, I think we should tell him the truth," Lyn whispered, grabbing Mina's shoulders.

"What do you mean?" Mina replied surprised by Lyn's words. 

"I read through the book, I think Daniel can help us. "

- - -

The girls let Daniel in on the secret between them and his reaction was perhaps more surprising than the secret. Knowing Daniel as the strict and serious kid in class, they were astounded that not only did he instantly believe them, but he also offered to help without hesitation. If Mina also remembered correctly, she believed she heard a small sound of excitement burst out of him when being formally introduced to Tao and Kris.

Telling Daniel was the right move.  He'd be able to help the stranded aliens better than Lyn and Mina could alone.  He had all the resources necessary, including his own knowledge of the Legends and money.  Lots and lots of money. Though telling Daniel was for the best, Mina couldn't help but feel as though she was no longer necessary. The thought kept her awake that night.

Sitting at her desk still dressed in her school clothing, Mina continued to look through the cryptic book that Daniel had left her. Her own encounter with Tao and Kris would be short lived. Her father would be home within the next day and she would definitely not be able to tell him what happened. Although Mina's father trusted his daughter and usually believed in her words, as soon as he found out that two "boys" had been sleeping over while he was away, Mina would undoubtedly be in trouble. Aliens or not, they appeared male and she was positive that's all her father would see. So like that, she'd be saying goodbye to Tao and Kris tomorrow as they left her for Daniel.

Mina sighed and turned another page in the book. The other bird thingy, which she found out was actually a phoenix, was centered on the new page. Tracing the symbol with her right index finger, Mina felt a similar sensation. It was weaker than usual but she could still faintly feel it. Just like when encountering Kris and Tao, the unusual sensation surged through her and called out to her. It now seemed as though it was going to be another sleepless night.

Quietly standing up from her desk, she left her room and passed the two sleeping aliens in the living room. She slipped on her tennis shoes and made her way out of the house after grabbing a pair of keys. She was going to follow it. She wasn't sure where exactly where it was yet, but she knew the feeling well enough now to know that she should follow it. Trusting her instincts she left the house and walked out towards the truck. Swinging the door open, a strong hand immediately closed the door she opened. 

"What are you doing?" Kris asked, his hand firmly closing the truck door. 

"Oh my god!" Mina replied thoroughly frightened. Putting her hand to her chest, she caught her breath and turned to look at the ninja-like Legend. "Why are you awake?"

"I wasn't asleep. What are you doing?"

"You weren't asleep either?" 

He shook his head in the darkness. "Where are you going?"

"To following a feeling," she answered.

The dragon didn't respond verbally, instead he raised and eyebrow and pursed his lips together in thought. Getting anxious, Mina tried to reopen the truck door. "I'll be back! Just stay here until then."

"I'm coming," Kris replied sharply.

Unable to argue, Mina nodded. If her feeling was right, having Kris with her would be helpful.

Kris jumped into the passenger side and Mina climbed into the driver's seat. Just as Mina the engine, she heard a knock on her window. Looking over, a shining pair of cat-like eyes greeted her. 

"So where are we going?" Tao chirped, standing outside the truck. Mina rolled down her window and smiled while Kris scowled. 

"You stay here," he growled.

"No! We should stay together. I'm going with you." Tao's impassioned words moved Mina to open her door for him causing Kris to sigh and cross his arms unhappily. Mina then motioned Tao to hop in. Squeezing in between Mina and Kris. Tao happily sat down and turned to the driver. "So where are we going?"

Smiling back, Mina positively responded. "I don't know!" 

Accepting her response, Tao looked forward to the waiting road. "Let's go!"

- - - 

The trio set off for a location unknown to all of them. With Mina at the wheel, the other two were silent, at one point Mina thought that they both had fallen asleep, but looking over she saw that only Tao had fallen asleep and was sweetly leaning on Kris. Kris surprisingly seemed not to care and allowed the boy to lean, while he remained lost in his own thoughts. 

Looking out to the old road before her, Mina could feel the sensation grow stronger. She was now well over 50 miles from home and she kept going. She was now heading into the outer city. The very city where her grandmother lived and her parents were currently visiting. The small city could hardly be called a city. It was closer to a large town than a populous and bustling city, but compared to Mina's humble hometown, is was indeed a city, a rich one at that; where instead of farms they had ranches and instead of public schools they had private academies.  

Turning into one of the many ranches and stopping at its gates, Mina turned off the truck and jumped out after grabbing a flashlight. She was followed closely by Kris while Tao remained  in the vehicle sleeping heavily. 

"This is it?" Kris asked, standing beside Mina.

"It's further down that way, but we can't drive there. We have to walk." Mina took a step forward but was held back by Kris.

"What are you expecting to find?" he asked, curious.

"Mina looked down to the ground beneath her. "I think... I mean, I feel that someone else like you and Tao is out here."   

Without a word, Kris nodded and let Mina go, following beside her. The pair proceeded to walk on when Mina remembered something. 

"Oh wait Tao!"

"Leave him, he's still out of energy. It's best we go on without him."

"He's gonna be upset when he wakes."

"He'll be fine," Kris replied reassuringly. 

Though according to Mina's cell, it was 2:17 AM, she remained wide awake walking beside the tall blonde alien. Getting closer, she began getting excited. She could sense them, another just like Kris and Tao, close by. 

"We are leaving later today," Kris said, interrupting Mina's happy thoughts. 

"Yeah. Daniel's place is better, it's bigger and he can help you both."

"Daniel is unusual like you. He has a lot of ideas."

"Tao seemed to like him. I'm sure things will work out well."

"Are you planning on just letting us go on our own?" Kris continued.

"Eh?"

"Listening to their stories, both Tao's and Daniel's... one thing remains unexplained."  

"What?"

"You," Kris said, stopping and pointing at Mina. "I followed you here because you are the only thing that doesn't make sense." Mina stopped walking and stood in her place as Kris continued to address her. "You are just a human of this planet but yet here I am following you to find another one of my kind. What does that make you?"

Mina met Kris's eyes briefly, "I don't know." As the words left her lips, she suddenly took off running. A second person was with the first. There were two of them. She was sure of it. Smiling widely, Mina ran towards a medium sized house located on the large ranch. Following close behind, Kris ran after her. Running towards the back of the house, Mina stopped in her tracks. The strong feeling had suddenly vanished. 

"It's gone..." Mina uttered quietly in disbelief. "It's gone." Standing mere feet away from the back door, Mina felt deflated. Just a moment ago she had felt two of them, but now nothing. It didn't make sense.

"Mina! Move!" Kris yelled, pulling the girl to the ground as an explosion went off in the house.  

With the heat from the explosion of fire now warming their skin, Mina's eyes flashed open. "Wait! They're there, one of them!" Mina yelled out, as the fire caused the windows in the house to burst.

"Who's still in where?" Kris asked, trying to hold back the eager young woman from approaching the engulfed house.   

"The house! They are in there!"

"Who?"

"The phoenix!" 

   - - -