Eternal Flame

The Leaf and the Legends

As the flames continued to engulf the home, it was apparent that no one else was there at the time. There was no frightened screaming, no yelling for help, nothing. Only Mina's voice calling out could be heard over the crackling of the growing fire. Although, no humans were inside the burning structure, the girl knew the Legend possessing the signature of the Phoenix was there. The fire was their doing.

With the flames lighting up the night sky and filling it with smoke, Mina began coughing. They were too close and yet not close enough. Pushing off of Kris to let her move forward toward the house, Mina was becoming more and more anxious by the second. The Legend wasn't moving. After the second blast they hadn't moved again. 

"I have to get them!" she yelled at Kris.

"I'm not letting you go near there! There is nothing you can do."

"No! He's inside! If we reach him the fire will stop! Please!"

"We need water to put that out," Kris responded. Even though he had said they needed water he wasn't sure the water found in this world would be able to put out the particular hungry flames before him. Incredibly, Mina had lead him and Tao to another of their kind. The flames were not produced naturally by anything on the current planet they were on. Thinking of what to do, Kris moved Mina away from the flames and towards the way they came. "Go get Tao!"

"Right!" Running back with all her strength, Mina dropped the flashlight and ran back towards the truck to awaken the sleeping boy. Only running briefly, she was quickly pulled by the arm and turned around by the smiling Tao.

"You're amazing," he said, pulling Mina behind him. "You found Chanyeol. I know that flame anywhere."

"Chanyeol?" Mina repeated.

"Yeah, it's his eternal flame. That fire will only continue to get bigger unless he calls it back."

"I don't think he's conscious," Mina replied, as the pair rejoined Kris who was standing closer to the burning house. The air now thick with smoke Mina continued to cough, unable to breathe comfortably. Her own human lungs were underdeveloped in comparison to those of Tao and Kris who both remained unaffected by the heavy smoke.       

"What are you doing just standing there! Chanyeol's inside!" Tao yelled at Kris, running into the burning house without hesitation.

No longer able to keep watching as Kris followed Tao inside, Mina's eyes watered as the smoke continued to stream out from the flames of the fire. Forcing herself to back away in order to breathe properly, Mina rubbed her eyes and watched in amazement as the flames devastating the house promptly retreated. The guys had found him, Chanyeol. After a couple of minutes, the fire had completely diminished, no longer lighting up the sky. Still by herself, now in the darkness Mina retrieved her flashlight from the ground near her feet and waited for the Legends to return. 

Pointing her light towards the house, Mina saw Tao and then Kris move slowly, carrying another between them. The pair continued to make their way out and walked closer to Mina who remained standing far from the burnt house. Getting a better look, Mina was shocked seeing the two mobile aliens.     

More remarkable than seeing the new found Legend, was seeing Kris and Tao without any marks or indication of them ever running into a burning house. Even the normal clothing they wore remained spotless. Watching them slowly place Chanyeol down, Mina walked closer to meet them and got her first look at the Legend named Chanyeol.      

"He's okay," Mina said smiling. Looking down at the pheonix, he seemed very young and innocent. Noticing the length of his slim, denim covered legs, Mina was sure that he was also around the same height as Tao and Kris. His own hair color however, contrasted the other two. A light brown and slightly wavy mop of hair adorned the top of his head. Around his neck and dangling down his chest was a sliver tag. Much like Kris's own metal bracelet the first time she saw it, there were no markings, but she was sure it was his own signature. When he will eventually awaken, she expected to see the very same pheonix symbol she had drawn. Staring at the unconscious Legend, there was one thing in particular that Mina felt was unusual. His clothing. He wore normal clothing that fit him perfectly, instead of  the same robe she had seen both Tao and Kris wearing. 

He must have been helped along the way by someone, that or he had adapted much faster than the other two Legends with her. Looking up away from the boy on the floor Mina noticed Tao's lipped grin. Squatting beside Mina, Tao hugged the girl happily.

"It really is Chanyeol! You found him safely!"

"Safely?" Kris scoffed, "He was not in control of his power, he could have hurt someone!"

"He wouldn't have hurt anyone. His flames don't intentionally hurt anyone."

"Dangerous is dangerous. Look what he did to that house." The trio looked over to the burnt home. It was completely wrecked. The flames tore through the home so quickly and severely that it was surprising that the house still stood. "This one is more dangerous than Tao," Kris said, addressing Mina. 

Finally speaking up again, Mina replied to Kris. "It's a good thing we found him then."

"We didn't find him. You did!" Tao said, his arms still excitedly wrapped around the girl. "You found him for us!" 

She indeed had found him. The still boy on the floor was the one she had been looking for and here he was. It was remarkable. However, what bothered her now was the second signal she had picked up on earlier. There was someone else with Chanyeol but they had completely vanished in an instant. In fact, both of them had vanished for a moment, but then only the Phoenix came back.   

Allowing themselves to rest for a while, Tao began telling them more about the one named Chanyeol. Both Kris and Mina listened intently. 

"The power of eternal flame is Chanyeol's. If he wants or wills it, he can create a fire that will never cease to burn." 

"Wow," Mina replied, looking down to the boy on the floor. An eternal fire.

"As you can imagine, he was very compatible with Kris over here." Tao's eyes fell upon Kris. "You don't remember him either?" Silently, Kris shook his head, causing Tao to sigh. He then continued talking. "He's strong, he'll be fine. I can tell. His energy is just all gone."

"Yeah, I can tell too. He'll be okay. I just hope he remembers you two."       

"I'm sure he will," Tao replied smiling, happily optimistic. 

"Enough waiting... we should start moving back. I'm sure a huge night fire caught the eye of someone out here," Kris said, looking around. Tao and Mina quietly agreed and stood up. Kris and Tao then moved to pick up Chanyeol but as they picked him up he began to move and mumble. Lifting their hands away from him, they all watched as he grumbled and moved, a look of pain forming on his face.  

"What's happening with him?" Mina asked, looking to Tao. 

"He must be more injured than we thought." 

"He's saying something," Kris said, listening closely to Chanyeol's mumbled speech.  

Listening closer to the boy on the ground mumble, Mina could make out only one sound. 

"Kai."

- - -