Playing with Fire

The Leaf and the Legends

"It's here..." Mina repeated. 

Staring at her right hand in her moon-lit room, the girl was plagued with feelings of regret and guilt. She had Kai within reach. Why did he teleport right before she had the chance to help him? If only she were a second faster he'd be with her at this moment. She could have helped him. The girl sighed and shut her eyes. Kris had told her that there wasn't much she could have done for the hurt teleport since energy and health weren't interchangeable; but she still couldn't sleep. She didn't think she'd be able to face Tao or Chanyeol in the morning. Just imagining the looks of disappointment on their faces was enough to bring tears to the corners of her eyes. Dropping her hand and placing it over her watering eyes, Mina heard a barely audible sound of movement above her.   

"Are you still up there?" Mina called out, sitting up from her bed. Wiping the forming tears from her eyes, she looked out her open widow. After being dropped off at home, Kris had quietly left. However, shortly after his departure the girl had heard a few light footsteps directly above her. This brought her to the assumption that Kris hadn't left her at all. At that moment, she hoped she was right. "Kris?" She called out in a steady but cautious voice. "I know you didn't leave." Receiving no reply, Mina began to bargain. "If you come down now, I'll let you sleep on the floor."

"The roof is more comfortable than that floor." She heard Kris reply from outside. 

Knowing he hadn't left her and hearing his low husky voice, Mina was comforted. Her mood turning around, she replied, "So you'll just sleep up there?"

"Yeah, I don't want to leave." 

"I'm not telling you to leave."

"You aren't?" Kris asked. 

"Even if I told you to go, you wouldn't leave... would you?" 

With no response, Mina grabbed a pillow off of her bed and walked over to the window. "At the very least, use this. I don't care if it gets dirty. I'll wash it later. Just use it." Hearing light steps above her, Mina saw Kris's hand reach out for the pillow. His metal bracelet glimmered in the dark. Allowing him to take the pillow, Mina walked back to her bed. The dragon had distracted her restless mind long enough to make her forget her guilt and regret.

She had to be positive. Mina was lucky enough to have seen Kai's deep and thoughtful gaze. Despite his injuries he seemed to somewhat be in control. Had he needed her to help him, he would have allowed himself to be found. There must have been a good reason for his choice to leave. Feeling better, the girl closed her eyes and smiled.

"Good Night Kris."

- - -

Awakened a few hours later by her alarm clock, Mina got up quickly. Looking to her window, she saw the pillow she lent to Kris on her floor. Picking up the pillow, she wondered if the dragon had even used it. Still in pristine condition, there were no signs that it had been used at all, let alone on her roof.

Hugging the pillow tightly, Mina recalled the night's events. Within the span of only one hour, the girl had flown up into the sky, met and lost Kai, and had been kissed... a second time. Or was it her first? Unlike Chanyeol, who only lightly touched her lips, Kris had actually pressed his lips against hers and actually... actually kissed her.      

Remembering the sensation she felt at that moment, Mina became flustered and threw the pillow at her unmade bed. The next time she saw Kris, she was determined to give him that well deserved hit she had failed to give him earlier. In the meantime, it was on to school for her.

- - -

As expected, Daniel was absent again. With one more half day of school and then graduation, their departure date was quickly approaching. No doubt, Daniel was still preparing and strategizing. Talking with Lyn on the way over to Daniel's, Mina found out that Lyn had gotten the 'okay' to go.

"So we're set?"

"Yeah, my parents didn't need too much convincing," Lyn replied, taking long strides.

"Don't you feel a bit bad about lying to them?"

"Not really, as long as the lie doesn't interfere with actual school in the fall," Lyn answered, eyeing her short friend.

"What if the time to enter school comes, and we are still out looking?" Mina asked.

"Then I'll drag you with me to sign up for classes. We still have our plans, that hasn't changed... Right?"

"Right... So give or take three months?"

"To search?" Lyn questioned.

"Yeah."

"Three months... What's the tally again?"

Letting out a sigh, Mina replied using her hands to show the count, "Three down, nine to go."

"We better move fast then, huh?"

"Yep."

"Speaking of moving fast, the teleport you saw last night..." Lyn began.

"Kai?" Mina asked curiously. 

"Yeah... was he hot?"

"What?" the shorter girl questioned out loud.

"Was he hot?" Lyn repeated, a serious expression still gracing her face.

"He was badly hurt and bleeding!"

"Yeah, but beyond all that?" Lyn pressed on.

Disappointedly shaking her head at her friend, Mina didn't answer. "When did you get so 'boy crazy'?"

"When you started bringing home so many good looking ones," Lyn replied smirking.

"You're horrible."

"Wait a minute. Did you just refer to them as 'boys'?"

"No."

"I thought you didn't see them like that?"

"I don't!" Mina replied shortly. 

"Methinks the lady doth protest too much," Lyn teased.

"Shut up."

Chuckling a short while, Lyn's laughter ceased upon looking at the grand home, "Wow. It's even nicer up close."

"Wait until we get inside."

- - -

Met at the gate by the ever smiling Tao, the time controller placed his arm around Mina and led the girls in.

"So how was it spending the night here?' Mina asked.

Taking a moment, Tao's lips pursed together in thought. "There's a lot of empty space here."

"No kidding! This place is HUGE!" Lyn remarked, swinging her arms around.  

"Where is everyone else?" Mina questioned, noting the uncanny silence in the house. 

"Out back!" Tao answered excitedly. 

Leading them to the back and then taking off, Tao left the girls at the entrance to the back. Stepping through the French doors, the girls found themselves on a terrace overlooking a private garden. Taking in the view, Mina immediately spotted the tall Legend with light brown wavy hair. At first glance, it appeared as though he was playing with a lighter. After squinting her eyes a bit, Mina saw that there was no lighter. Dancing around in his palm was the eternal flame.

"That must be Chanyeol," Lyn commented, also spotting the boy. "He's definitely your type." Before Mina had the chance to hit her friend, Daniel interjected himself into the conversation.

"Who's type is what?" he questioned, walking up beside the girls.

"Nothing," Lyn answered flatly.

"Right... So, what's your status? You coming?" Daniel asked, looking at Lyn. 

"I'm in."

"Okay, well I guess there are some things I need to inform you on..."

Allowing Daniel and Lyn to continue their conversation, Mina waked down from the terrace and towards Chanyeol. Greeting her with his contagious smile, Chanyeol continued to play around with the fire in his palm.

"Welcome back!" he chimed, grinning and tossing the flame carelessly from one hand to the other.

Smiling, Mina continued to watch as the ball of fire transformed into a large ring. Seeing the girl's mesmerized faced, Chanyeol threw the flame up into the air and reached for her hand.

"Catch it!" the phoenix directed to her. 

"No way! I'll get burned!" Mina yelled, trying to pull her hand back. 

"You won't get burned," Chanyeol replied, his smile still brightly painted on his face. 

"I can't!" Mina cried out, finally pulling her hand back. Not catching the flame, it fell past her hand and disappeared before it touched the ground. 

"Awww. You didn't catch it," the boy mumbled. "Let's try again!"

"I'll get burned!" 

"No, you won't."

"Yes, I will." 

"No, you won't!" Chanyeol repeated.

"Yes, I will!"

Laughing at the girl's stubbornness, Chanyeol reached for Mina's wrist and met her gaze. His brown eyes meeting hers, he gave her a reassuring look.

"I promise that it won't hurt you."

Allowing the Legend to flip her hand palm facing up, Mina watched as a new flame emerged from his other hand. Noticing that the girl was still tense, Chanyeol felt the need to reassure her again.

"Trust me. I won't let you get hurt. Okay?" 

Calmed by his low and confident voice, Mina nodded and took a breath as the phoenix moved the flame in his hand slowly into the air and down to her hand. Eyes wide, Mina watched as the dancing flame hovered gently over her palm. Feeling the warmth of the fire, the girl was fascinated by her reality.

"How is this possible?" she uttered breathlessly.

Smiling, Chanyeol stood up straight. "It's because I'm in control of it."

Peeling her eyes away from the fire, Mina caught a glimpse of the serious Chanyeol again. Though it was brief, Mina found herself staring at him longer than originally intended.

"You're back," a familiar voice greeted.

Surprised by the voice, the fire in Mina's palm vanished with Chanyeol loosing focus. 

"I told you," Tao replied.

Joining Mina and Chanyeol beyond the terrace was Kris and Tao.

"Kris!" Chanyeol exclaimed. "Want to play?"

"Play?" Mina and Kris questioned in unison.

"Out of all of us, Kris had the second best control over the element of fire," Tao explained. 

"Not fire, Tao. Objects on fire," Chanyeol corrected.  

"Right!" the cat eyed Legend chirped, smiling.

"So do you want to play?" The phoenix asked, bright eyed.

"Maybe next time..." Kris replied, looking away from Chanyeol and down to Mina.

Remembering that she had intentions of hitting Kris, Mina raised her hand, ready to give him a jab in the arm. 

"Hey!" Daniel interrupted, yelling down at the foursome, "Ready for a test run?"

"What?" Mina yelled back, her hand falling to her side. 

Standing next to Daniel and looking at his laptop, Lyn also called out, "He has a small hunch about a location."

"Small nothing... I have a strong lead. We should head out," Daniel commanded. 

"Right now?" Mina quizzically asked.

"A lead?" Tao muttered.

"Now," Daniel replied. Running up the stairs right away, Tao was followed by Chanyeol, both excited by the possibility of reuniting with another of their brethren.

"How sure are you about this?" Mina asked, following the others up to the terrace with Kris a few feet behind her.

"I'd say 90%," The class rep answered.

"So where is this location that we're going now and why?"

"It's about two and a half hours away. We're going because there have been recent reports of seismic activity."

"Like earthquakes?" Mina questioned.

"More like tremors. Still pretty usual, huh?"

"Yeah... Okay, let's go!"

- - -

Traveling in what Mina could only describe as a monster of an SUV, the group moved together in hopes of finding another Legend.

"You sense anything yet?" Lyn asked, sitting in the front passenger seat. Getting closer to their final location, the girl was anxious for the trip to be successful.

"Nothing," Mina replied, her voice slightly strained.

Despite the fact that the SUV had three rows, the girl was squished in between the car door and Kris. When entering the vehicle, Tao insisted on sitting beside Kris, while Kris silently refused to sit anywhere except beside Mina. Not wanting to be left out, Chanyeol fit himself into the middle row with the rest of them; causing some slight discomfort for the only human in the row.

"Which alien are we expecting to find, Daniel?"

"The earthshaker," Daniel replied to Lyn, his eyes glued to the road. 

"We call him 'D.O.'," Tao said happily.

"Or 'Kyungsoo'!" Chanyeol added.

"He has two names?" Mina asked curiously.

"Most of us do," Tao answered. "I'm also called 'Zitao'."

"Zitao?" Mina repeated. Receiving a smile and nod, the girl grinned back. "'Zitao', I like that name." Looking over to Chanyeol, she saw him shake his light brown locks. 

"I'm just 'Chanyeol'," the Legend said brightly.

"Yi Fan," Kris muttered, knowing that Mina would ask him next. 

"Yi Fan?" the girl repeated.

"So you remember your other name," Tao commented, his tone bittersweet. "You probably don't remember that we also called you 'Duizhang'. Do you?" 

"I can't say I do," Kris replied firmly.

Sensing a slight gloomy feeling hovering overhead, Mina tried to push the conversation forward. "So, which name do you prefer to be called Tao?"

"I don't mind either; 'Tao' or 'Zitao'. They are both uniquely my name."

"'Zitao' sounds cooler than just 'Tao'," Lyn remarked, following the dialogue closely. "I'm gonna call you 'Zitao' from now on."

Grinning, the young Legend's eyes curved upward. "Do you have another name Lyn?"

"Nope! I'm just boring ole 'Lyn'. My parents weren't too creative when they named me." 

"Same here," Mina added. 

"I like your names!" Chanyeol commented abruptly. "I like the way they sound! But 'Kris' is my favorite, 'cause when you say 'Kris' your mouth ends in a smile." Pointing at his face, Chanyeol demonstrated the 'smiling name'. 

Seeing the display, Mina laughed at the phoenix. "That's true! You do end up smiling!" Copying Chanyeol's actions for a bit, Mina then turned her attention back to the Legend beside her. "So, do you like 'Kris' or 'Yi Fan' more?"

Tilting his head in thought, Kris asked Mina to repeat herself. 

"'Kris' or 'Yi Fan'?" the girl said once more.

 A small satisfied grin forming on his face, Kris mumbled his reply. "Yi Fan." 

"But 'Yi Fan' doesn't make you smile!" Chanyeol argued, immediately disliking Kris's choice.

"I prefer 'Kris' too," Lyn said, adding in her two cents. 

"Then call me 'Kris'," the dragon answered back to them. "I don't care what you call me. Mina was the one asking." 

"I kind of like 'Kris' more too," the girl beside him said softly. 

"Why bother asking then?" Kris responded, crossing his arms, visibly irritated. 

"I'm calling you 'Duizhang' again," Tao chimed, happy with his new decision. 

"Do what you want," Kris sighed.  

"Enough chit chat for now," Daniel interrupted, slamming on the breaks. "We've got a Legend to find."

Feeling the whiplash, Lyn and Mina yelled at Daniel.

"You crazy?"  

"What? Everyone has a seatbelt on and those three are superhuman." 

"Well, we are still human!" Lyn yelled, rubbing the back of her head. 

"Where are we?" Mina asked, also tending to her neck. 

"Isn't is obvious? We are here! Idlewind County, population 702."

"702? And I thought our town was small," Lyn said, looking out the front windshield. 

Swinging open the doors to the SUV, Daniel was the first to jump out. Seeing that no one else was following, he turned around. "Well, let's go!" 

Filing out of the car, the group found themselves standing on the side of a dirt road. Even during the middle of the day, the small town seemed empty. Unlike their own town, which was more developed and was home to more people, Idlewind was the definition of a 'small town' and was comprised of an older population. One of the few things Daniel already knew about the place was that ever since it was named 'Idlewind' there had been no major developments in the town, bringing the term 'idle' to a whole new level.

Ignoring the houses in the distance, Daniel kept his eyes on the ground, looking for something.

"So now what?" Lyn asked, looking at the boy stare at the ground.

"Look for small fault lines."

"Fault lines?" Chanyeol quizzically asked.

"Places the earth looks shifted or cracked," Daniel answered, still looking down at the ground intently. "I'll be able to set up a direction based on the placement of the line. I just need one to start."  

Shrugging their shoulders, Lyn and Mina began to search and soon the entire group was walking around in small circles looking at the ground. Viewing the scene from a distance, an onlooker could have easily thought that someone in the group had lost a contact and everyone was helping them look for it; the actual truth of the situation was by far stranger.

After looking for a while, the group had lost some steam as the sun continued to beat down on them. "You see anything?" Mina yelled over to Tao and Lyn. Receiving a loud 'no' accompanied by an overhead cross of the arms from Lyn, Mina sighed. Placing her hand on her hip, the girl briefly stopped looking. "This is taking too long... Why can't I sense him?"

"Want me to give you more energy?" Kris asked indifferently, walking closer to the lightly sweating girl.    

"Eh?" Mina replied, looking up at the blonde. "More energy?"

Lifting his right index finger to his closed lips and bending down to Mina's eye level, Kris lifted his eyebrows. "Energy."

Watching Kris touch his lips, a small light bulb clicked on in the girl's head. Feeling her face warm, Mina covered her cheeks with her hands and avoided Kris's gaze. "No way!"  

"It worked last time," the dragon replied convincingly. Falling back into Mina's line of vision, the dragon's lips were slightly curved, forming a sly smirk.

"Last time..." Dropping her hands from her face, Mina leaned forward and jabbed Kris right in the arm. The sudden hit caused him to stand up straight and stare at Mina with a betrayed look on his face. "That's for last ti-" 

Not finishing her sentence, Mina felt the earth beneath her shift and rumble. Scared and not knowing what to do, she reached out and clung onto Kris. Unlike her frightening experience when first encountering the dragon, the sensation of feeling the earth beneath her feet shake was pure horror. Although it was not a large earthquake, the concept that the ground that supported her, could be shaken and broken, terrified her. 

Allowing the girl to cling to him, he motioned Mina to step on his shoes. Desperate to be off the trembling ground, Mina moved quickly and held onto Kris as he lifted off the shaking earth. The blonde then looked around. In the distance, he could see Lyn and Tao also standing alert. Looking a bit further back, he could see Chanyeol and Daniel running over to meet up with the other two. Deciding it was best to also regroup, Kris moved the two closer to where Tao and Lyn stood.   

"Wow," Lyn uttered, amazed by what she saw. Standing steadily on the moving ground, she looked wide eyed at Kris. "You're... flying."

"Are you okay?" Tao asked, seeing Mina cling onto Kris with her eyes shut. 

"She's fine," Kris replied.

Realizing that her friend was trembling, Lyn became alarmed. "Mina!" she gasped. Running around Kris to face her friend, Lyn touched Mina's face lightly, trying to get her to calm down. "It's okay Mina. It's not moving as badly as before. It was actually kinda cool huh?"

Shaking her head in rejection of the notion that the earth shaking beneath her was 'cool', Mina refused to answer audibly. 

"Okay, so it was scary." Lyn admitted, also a bit shaken up. "But this is a good thing right? That means we're close." 

Mina opened her eyes and looked at Lyn. "We are close," she mumbled.

"That was definitely Kyungsoo!" Chanyeol said, jubilantly arriving on the scene with Daniel. 

"Was I right, or was I right?" Daniel gleefully added, giving himself a verbal pat of the back.

"According to Mina, you were indeed right," Lyn responded.  

"Wow, that's still so cool," Daniel remarked, seeing Kris hover above the ground. Taking notice of Mina's frightened stance, he looked over to Lyn. "She okay?"

"I'm fine," Mina responded, fixing her posture and loosening her grip but not letting go of Kris. 

"D.O. is close by?" Tao asked, jumping back on topic.

Pursing her lips together, Mina answered, "Yeah, but..."

"Is he okay?" Chanyeol questioned eagerly. 

"I don't know but, he is here." 

"He's really here!" Tao commented, a smile spreading across his face.

"Well, what are we waiting for then? Let's go!" Daniel enthusiastically said. "Should we head back to the car?" 

"So which way are we headed?" Kris asked, looking down to Mina.

Feeling a clashing mixture of emotions, Mina closed her eyes and began shaking her head. "We- I... I can't. I don't want to go any closer!"

- - -