Déjà vu

The Leaf and the Legends

Placing her hand on her hip, Mina briefly stopped looking for the fault line that Daniel had instructed them to find. Wiping away the beading sweat from her forehead, she sighed, "This is taking too long... Why can't I sense him?"

"Want me to give you more energy?" Kris asked indifferently, walking closer to the tired girl.    

"Eh?" Mina replied, looking up at the blonde. "More energy?"

Lifting his left index finger to his slightly parted lips and bending down to Mina's eye level, Kris lifted his eyebrows. "Energy."

Watching Kris touch his lips, a small light bulb clicked on in the girl's head. Feeling her face warm, Mina covered her cheeks with her hands and avoided Kris's gaze. "No way!" As the rejection left her lips, she felt the situation vaguely familiar. Almost as if she had been there before and done the exact same thing.   

"It worked last time," the dragon replied convincingly. Falling back into Mina's line of vision, the dragon's lips were slightly curved, forming a sly smirk.

"Last time..." Dropping her hands from her face, Mina leaned forward and moved to hit Kris. However, her attempt at jabbing him in the arm was unsuccessful, as the Legend leapt forward and swiftly picked her up off the ground and into his arms. "What do you think you're doing?" 

Not answering, Kris effortlessly lifted them off the ground and up into the air. Upset with the man holding her, Mina only stopped fidgeting around after hearing a low rumbling sound. Looking down to the ground, the girl was shocked by what she saw. It was moving, the earth she had just been standing on, was moving.

"Are you okay Mina?" the blonde asked, looking at the girl.

"I'm fine," she responded, nodding her head calmly. "What's happening?"

"Tremors," he answered. Satisfied that she was fine, Kris turned his attention to the others in the distance. Not too far off, he could see Lyn and Tao standing alert. Looking a bit further back, he could see Chanyeol and Daniel running over to meet up with the other two. Not hesitating, Kris moved the two closer to where Tao and Lyn stood.   

"Wow," Lyn uttered, amazed by what she saw. Standing steadily on the moving ground, she looked wide eyed at Kris. "You're... flying."

"Are you okay?" Tao asked, looking Mina. 

"I'm fine," the girl replied, blinking. There was that familiar feeling again... it had a specific name. What was it?

"Looks like it worked!" Chanyeol chirped all smiles, arriving on the scene with Daniel in toe. 

"Yeah, Mina seems okay this time," Tao replied. 

"What?" Lyn and Mina questioned, both looking over to Tao.

"Wow, that's still so cool," Daniel remarked, seeing Kris hover above the ground. 

"Déjà vu!" the girl in Kris's arms yelled, eyes wide and bright. "That's what it's called! Déjà vu!"   

"Déjà vu?" Lyn repeated.

"Yes! All of this is déjà vu! Well, except for this part..." Mina replied, trailing off.

"What's déjà vu?" Chanyeol asked, a confused expression spreading across his face.

Paying close attention, Tao also seemed to be interested in what the term meant and kept his eyes on Mina.

"It means, she feels like she's experienced or seen this all before," Daniel explained. 

"Yeah!" Mina exclaimed. "Do you feel it too Daniel?"

"Nope."

"Lyn?" Mina asked.

The taller girl shook her head in response, prompting Mina to categorize it as personal déjà vu and sigh to herself. It all felt too familiar, everything said and done like being held by Kris; she was sure it had happened before. Looking at Tao and Chanyeol, they seemed to be intrigued by the concept of déjà vu, but said nothing further.   

"So which way are we headed?" Kris asked, looking down to the girl. 

"Eh?"  

"You sense him don't you?" he followed up, eyes still on her.

Mouth falling slightly agape, she realized he was right. The earthshaker; she could sense him close by. "How did you know?" 

"He's here?" Lyn said, relieved to hear the group hadn't wasted their time. 

"Really close by!" Mina answered smiling. Looking back at Tao, she expected him to see his exuberant smile, but instead saw a small grin lining his lips, indicating that he seemed only mildly pleased. Chanyeol's gleeful reaction was expected, but he too seemed less surprised and thrilled than expected. It was as if they already knew she could sense the other Legend. 

"Well, what are we waiting for then? Let's go!" Daniel enthusiastically said. "Should we head back to the car?" 

"Right! Well, it's not that far, Kris could get me there in a few minutes."

"Well that's dandy for you two, but what about us?" Lyn asked. 

"I can carry you!" Tao said, jumping into the conversation. "I may not look too strong but we can carry twice our own weight and still move quickly."

"Twice your weight? I'm not that heavy..." Lyn mumbled. "I'm just, tall. What about Daniel?" 

"Chanyeol can carry Daniel," Tao answered. 

"No thanks. I'll just follow in the SUV," the boy in question replied.

"Why not? I can carry you!" Chanyeol said, moving to pick Daniel up. Naturally, Daniel rejected the advances of the phoenix, who began laughing at Daniel's refusal as he chased after him. "Come on! We need to get going!" the taller boy said smiling uncontrollably and reaching for Daniel's arms. Grabbing Daniel and easily subduing him, Chanyeol grinned victoriously.

"Can we go now?" Kris asked, not amused by the small game of cat and mouse.    

"Everyone ready?" Mina called out, wrapping her arms properly around Kris's neck. With Tao lifting Lyn and Daniel sighing in the phoenix's arms; they were all ready to head out.

"Lead the way!" Chanyeol declared loudly.

- - - 

With Kris and Mina leading the way, the others followed diligently but soon fell behind as Kris continued to fly faster and faster. Not hearing the calls for them to slow down, they soon were alone under the blazing afternoon sun, far from their original location. 

"He should be here!" Mina said, causing Kris to stop and hover. Directly beneath the two, Mina could see a crack in the earth. The land there had been recently shifted, creating an unusual dry spot of land with little vegetation around it. Squinting her eyes and looking around, Mina realized they were alone. "Where did everyone go?"

"They couldn't keep up," Kris replied casually.

"Right... Well D.O. should be around here." Looking at the ground, Mina became confused. She could sense him extremely close by, but saw nothing. She wondered if it was possible that he was disguising himself using the earth. Realizing that she knew nothing about his powers or ability, she became upset with herself. "Please let me down."

"No."

"What do you mean 'no'? Let me go!" Mina said, unsettled by Kris's answer.

"They told me to keep a hold of you until we found him. They said it was essential."

Eye's glaring at the boy holding her, Mina's lips became upturned in a scowl. "What are you talking about?"

"Tao and Chanyeol said to not let you touch the ground until D.O. was found." 

"Why would they tell you to do that?" 

Still calmly holding onto the girl, Kris answered her. "Last time we tried to find D.O. you wouldn't dare move an inch. You clung onto me and began crying." 

"Last time?" No longer upset, Mina was now puzzled. Kris wasn't one to lie to her, and she doubted that he was about to start now. Trusting him, she took everything he told her as the truth. 

"Last time you were on the ground when it began shaking and it frightened you so badly that you refused to find the source of the tremor."

"D.O.'s the one that moved the ground earlier?"

"Yes, and because I wasn't about to have them force you to do anything you didn't want to do, Chanyeol came up with a plan using Tao's powers."

"Tao's powers..." Mina repeated silently, thinking to herself. Connecting the pieces together, the girl was starting to understand. Though she had yet to see Tao use his powers, she recalled that he had the ability to manipulated time and could control it in different ways. "So Tao used his ability to...?"

"Set time back," Kris answered. "They explained how it would work to all of us, and directed me to hold onto you right before the tremor. They weren't positive that it would work, but since you weren't on the ground this time you didn't feel the earth shake. You weren't scared were you?"  

Shaking her head and blinking in amazement, Mina was speechless. Her déjà vu now made sense. Things had felt familiar because they were familiar; she had lived through that time before. Tao's ability was not only impressive but also slightly frightening. He had the ability to create a new time line, a new reality. Incredible. Looking back up at Kris, she tilted her head in wonder. "So, you remember everything?"   

Nodding his head lightly and with his eyes cast away from the girl, he replied, "Even if I didn't, I doubt I'd be able to forget seeing you cry that way."

"It was that bad?" Mina asked, feeling apologetic towards the Legend. Receiving another nod from Kris, she sighed. "I must have been really scared... but I think I'll be okay now. You don't have to worry."

"I'm not letting you down," Kris replied firmly.

"I promise I'll be okay!" 

"No."

"Come on!" Wiggling around and trying to make it hard for Kris to hold her, Mina began losing strength. Resorting back to her bargaining ways, that seemed to be slightly effective on Kris, she decided to make him an offer. "Okay, if you let me down and I'll..." Pausing, she realized she didn't know what to use to bargain. What could she offer the Legend that held onto her? Thinking quickly, she remembered the conversation they had in the car. "Ah! I'll start calling you Yi Fan! You prefer that name right?" 

Masking his oncoming smile by looking away, Kris couldn't deny that he like hearing Mina use his other name. Deliberating quietly, he decidedly moved to let the girl down. "If you end up being scared again I won't hesitate to pick you up again."

"Alright!" Mina replied, happily placing her right foot back on the ground.

"And if I do pick you back up, you still have to call me Yi Fan! Okay?"

"Of course!" Smiling, Mina's left foot also touched down onto the ground beneath her. Finding her balance, Mina walked along the cracked earth, wondering just where the Legend she sensed was.  

"They're here," Kris informed her, seeing the others finally make their way towards them.

Listening to Kris's words, Mina remembered Kai. She had completely forgotten to tell Chanyeol and Tao that she had seen the Legend, let alone tell them what he had said to her. She'd definitely tell them everything as soon as they arrived. Looking up and peering into the distance, she laughed seeing Chanyeol carry Daniel. She could tell he wasn't too happy being carried and the image was one she wouldn't soon forget. Waving at them all happily, she didn't realize that the earth beneath her began to shake. With Kris slightly hovering above the ground, he too didn't notice the earth move. The dragon wouldn't have noticed anything had Mina not called out his name. 

"Yi Fan!" Falling into the opening in the ground beneath her, Mina screamed out to Kris. With the opening of the earth quickly closing back up, Kris wasn't fast enough and watched in disbelief as the girl fell from view. Shutting her eyes as she fell, she knew she had reacted too little too late.

Falling into an opening in the earth, Mina didn't expect the drop to last so long. It was as if she had fallen down a mine shaft or perhaps more appropriately, a rabbit hole; the type Alice had fallen in. Realistically, she knew her own landing wouldn't be as pleasant or as fantastic as Alice's. In fact, she expected death or if she was lucky, only excruciating pain and injury awaiting her at the bottom. The only thing that kept her from complete panic was the sensation of getting closer to Kyungsoo. At the very least, she had led them all to the right place. 

Though it had felt like she had been falling for a few minutes, it had only been a few seconds and Mina soon hit the bottom of the hole. Falling around thirty feet, she surprisingly felt no pain upon landing. Mina then realized that she had landed on something that undoubtedly broke her fall and absorbed the brute force of her landing. Opening her eyes, she heard the sound of a pained breath.

Something hadn't broken her fall, someone had broken it.    

- - -


Honestly, this chapter had me drawing a blank for a while, but one comment that had a question in it, helped me when writing this chapter.  So, your comments actually help inspire me! Please, never hesitate to ask a question or let me know what you think! 

Thanks so much for reading <3