Tension

The Leaf and the Legends

"You're back!" Chanyeol had said smiling at her. Standing plainly in full view, Mina got an eyeful and reacted the only way she could. By screaming. Shutting her eyes and slamming the door closed. Taking a moment, Mina stopped screaming and cupped her face in her hands, her finger tips shading her eyes. Even to Mina's inexperienced and unseasoned eyes, she knew exactly what she had seen. Despite being a alien and a Legend, Chanyeol had the anatomy of a male human. The image of him standing there and looking at her with the smile she liked so much was now permanently ingrained into her mind.

Still standing in front of the closed door, she could feel and hear Chanyeol approach her from inside the room and turn the handle behind her. Panicking, Mina ran urgently towards the living room and was cut off by Tao and Kris. The two had heard her small scream and reacted accordingly.

"What happened?" Kris asked, moving past Tao and looking Mina up and down for injuries.  

"You look flustered." Tao interjected, seeing the light pink tint on her cheek spread to the rest of her face. Looking at the girl, who avoided all their eyes, Kris lightly touched her forehead. She was warm.

Feeling Kris's cold hand on her head, Mina temporarily forgot the image in her mind. Was she really so warm, that his hand felt so cold? It sent a chill down her spine. The dragon then attempted to met her gaze. "What happened?" 

His concern made the girl feel foolish. She wished she had just quietly backed out of the room or just averted her eyes and said 'hello' back to Chanyeol... Why was she so immature? "Ah... Nothing! I was just startled."

"Startled by what?" Chanyeol asked, walking out of the the room. Hearing his voice, Mina kept her back to him and placed her hands by the sides of her face, creating blinders for herself. There was a high probability that Chanyeol was still not clothed. The thought made his image reappear in Mina's mind; causing her face to flush uncontrollably. 

"What's going on?" Daniel questioned, finally arriving on the scene. Seeing Mina in an unusual stance with Kris and Tao staring at her, Daniel didn't makes sense of the situation until seeing the still Legend. "Woah! Chanyeol... Clothes! Clothes!"

"I'm still drying myself," the phoenix replied, wrapping the towel around his neck. Judging from their reaction, or lack thereof; Daniel assumed that the other two Legends didn't see a problem with the presence of an exposed body. Putting it all together, the situation somehow became hilarious to Daniel. The combination of seeing Mina's red face and Chanyeol just standing there behind her while the other two looked more concerned with Mina than Chanyeol, was hilarious. And though he tried not to, a small snort of laughter came from the class rep before it was followed by wholehearted laughter.

Hearing Daniel's laughter, Mina could feel her own laughter building up. The situation was just too ridiculous, albeit embarrassing for herself, to not laugh. This of course, caused futher confusion for the three Legends around them, as  none of them understood what the two humans in the room found so funny; however that did not stop Chanyeol from joining them in laughing.     

- - -

After getting Chanyeol into some clothes, and briefly explaining ; the Legends seemed to understand Mina's embarrassment. 

"So being in a natural state here is bad?" Tao questioned. 

"Well, I guess on this planet, we are a bit disconnected from our natural form. We don't really expose our bodies often," Daniel explained. "Especially to members of the opposite ."

"So this one was the reason Mina screamed again?" Kris asked, referring to Chanyeol.

"Yeah," Daniel answered. Throughout the conversation, Mina kept her head down, too embarrassed to let anyone see her face. Especially the Legends. 

"I'm sorry Mina," Chanyeol apologized. He had moved to stand in front of where she sat in the living room and knelt down, bowing his head. Seeing the light brown locks in her view, Mina flailed her arms about.

"Don't worry about it! I'm all good. It's no big deal.You don't need to apologize! I'm actually sorry for screaming!" Nervous chatter; one of Mina's specialties. Looking up at Mina, Chanyeol's ever present smile caught her attention and stopped her from continuing her potentially never ending blabber.

"So you're okay?" he asked. 

"Yeah, I'm fine," Mina replied. 

"Hmmmmm. This place sure is strange," Tao said, thinking about the differences between this world and his own. His sharp eyes squinted in thought. "I wonder what else is considered bad here." 

"Well, I guess we'll answer those question when they come up," Daniel added.

"Right," Tao said nodding, his lips spreading across his face in a grin.      

"Go sit down," Kris commanded, looking at Chanyeol. The phoenix had remained kneeling in front of Mina even after she had told him she was fine. "We have business to attend to now."

"Right!" Instead of returning to his original spot on the couch across the room, Chanyeol plopped down beside Mina. "So what was our plan again?"  

"You all came to a decision right?" Mina asked, remembering what Tao had told her. 

"Well, I know Tao and Chanyeol are anxious to get going like myself, but we have three more days and then graduation; so we can't really leave here until then. Plus, Kris won't leave without you."

Daniel's last sentence caused the same satisfied smile Mina displayed in front of Lyn to find it's way back onto her face. She was so happy hearing it and fought back the urge to hug and thank Kris for being so stubborn. Lost in her own thoughts again, she missed the last part of what Daniel had said.

"So wait, what?" Mina asked.

"After graduation we're leaving," Daniel repeated. "We leave the next morning. The five of us."

"Five? What about Lyn?"

"Lyn can't come," Daniel answered.

"What?" Mina yelled. standing up.

"She'd be an unnecessary burden..." Daniel replied.  

"She's not a burden! I need her."

Daniel sighed and rolled his eyes. "This is why I didn't even want to bring you; if she came she would really be useless."     

"No she wouldn't! She's not useless!" 

"Fine, she'd be wasted space." Daniel leaned back on the couch, his eyes flickering upwards at Mina.

A natural pacifist, Mina would rather keep her voice down than start a fight, but with Daniel referring to her best friend as a 'burden' and 'wasted space', the girl wouldn't have it. Walking towards the boy quickly, Mina raised her hand and moved to slap him.

Inches away from impact, Mina's hand was stopped by Tao, who sat beside Daniel. The light touch of his hand was enough for Mina feel ashamed of her actions. Dropping her hand, she looked at the floor. She may have possibly regretted slapping him later, but she wouldn't apologize to him. He was being a jerk. She wouldn't apologize. With an awkward tension filling the room, Kris reached out to grab Mina from behind but was beaten to it when Chanyeol grabbed Mina's hand and pulled her outside.

Allowing herself to be pulled along, she followed him to the middle of her backyard. Letting Mina's hand go, Chanyeol stretched out and let out a loud yawn before commenting on the scenery. "This planet is really pretty. At night it reminds me of home." 

"I'm sorry," Mina muttered, understanding that she allowed herself to get overheated and created an awkward situation for everyone. Looking down, Chanyeol saw that he was being greeted by the two Coolies that he had seen earlier.

"The animals here also remind me of home." Chanyeol bent down and began petting the dogs. Happy to be receiving so much attention, the dogs reciprocated the loving pats and excitedly fought for Chanyeol's full attention. Looking over at the phoenix, Mina couldn't help but faintly smile.

"They really like you."

"That's because they can tell that I really like them," Chanyeol responded, still petting the dogs. Joining Chanyeol, Mina began petting the black Coolie closer to her. During the last few days she hadn't given her dogs the attention she unusually did. She could tell they missed it. Feeling the tension and anger in her disappear, Mina looked over to Chanyeol. 

"Thanks," she said quietly.   

"I didn't do anything," Chanyeol replied.

Mina smiled at his humble reply. Considering that the phoenix had been the source of two separate awkward occasions, Mina was surprised that he had read the tense atmosphere well and pulled her away from it. "You're more thoughtful then I originally thought." 

Reacting to the girl's comment, Chanyeol shifted his attention back to Mina and revealed to her a rare expression. He smiled at her as though he had a secret he'd never tell anyone. The fact that the ever-smiling phoenix could make such an expression was unexpected and captivating. Feeling calm again, Mina took in a deep breath.  

"We're waiting for you," Kris said, standing behind the pair. His sudden presence startled Mina, causing her to yelp and fall forward onto her hands and knees. Chanyeol laughed at Mina's reaction and stood up. Kris walked around the girl and stopped in front of her. He then placed his hand out towards her; offering her assistance up. Simultaneously, Chanyeol also offered her his own outstretched hand.

Noticing both hands, Mina smiled. How lucky.  

     - - -   

Getting over, or more so, leaving the "Lyn situation" for later discussion; the group moved forward in discussing their plans. The overall plan was having the Legends leave that day with Daniel keeping them all company. Being the manipulative and clever person he was, Daniel managed to fabricate a perfect cover for his absence for the next three days of school. However, Mina would have to attend class as usual, but she would head over to Daniel's secretly each day. That part of the plan was mainly for her own benefit. In the plan there were plenty of minor details to consider, but Daniel had things planned so consciously and critically that it seemed as though he prepared his whole life for this one venture. Discovering this detailed side of Daniel, Mina admired his capabilities. It was almost enough to overlook fact that he also had the capability of being an asshat, almost.

With Daniel planning things, there was not much for Mina to worry about. The only thing she needed to do was prepare herself... For the first time in her life, she'd be leaving home. Really leaving. She had always planned on leaving her home town, but not exactly in that way or for the reason she was. Leaving, it was frightening, but her resolve was strong. She was going to help them. She promised Tao.        

After more talking, the group headed out to Daniel's. It was the first time Mina had ever been to his home. She knew Daniel's family was rich, but always thought the extent to which they were rich was exaggerated. Looking at the less than humble home, Mina knew there were no exaggerations. Daniel's family was really, really rich. Standing at the foot of the grand staircase, Mina wasn't the only one astounded by the new surroundings. All three Legends looked around the home with wide eyes. 

"This place is huge!" Chanyeol yelled, his voice echoing through the home. 

"Do a lot of people live here?" Tao questioned, trying to rationalize the size of the house.

"I'm the only one that 'lives' here. My dad comes here on occasion, but my mother lives in the city."

"You really live alone?" Mina asked, feeling pity for her classmate. 

"Yeah," Daniel said, moving past the group and motioning for them to follow him. "There are some workers around, although they just keep this place looking decent. Don't mind them."    

"So where in this place will we be staying?" Kris questioned, looking down the halls as they followed Daniel.

"You each will get your own rooms," he replied. Daniel then led them onto a room that appeared to be an office, and then kept walking though the office until he came to a locked door. "This is where I've been planning everything. With you all here now, I know we'll be ready to leave soon." 

'Ready to leave soon.' Daniel had been repeating those words throughout the day, but Mina started to become worried. She also believed she was ready to go; but to where? "I know you've been saying that we'll be leaving, but how will we know where to go?" Mina asked. "I can't just sense a Legend whenever I want. It just happens."

Daniel smirked. "I told you this already. You're only coming because Kris refuses to leave without you. I agree that your ability is amazing, but I have my own methods of helping these guys. Quiet honestly, I don't really need you." 

Everyone in the room hung onto Daniel's words. How was is possible that Daniel didn't need Mina's help?

"I was explaining it to Kris today but I guess he didn't really understand." Walking further in the room, the group discovered that Daniel had really been doing his research. Daniel moved over to a laptop and pulled up a map on screen. "We'll be headed here first."  

"Why there?"  Tao asked.

"It's a location that makes sense. Three nights ago there were reports of meteors landing. After finding out that Kris made a similar entrance, I knew it would be a point of interest. The days line up perfectly. That's why we are headed there first."  

Hearing the strategy that Daniel had created, a small "Wow," came from Mina's mouth. Why hadn't she researched like that? 

"Like I said before, I'm not doing this thing half way. I need you on the same page as me Mina," Daniel said, looking to the girl. 

"Don't worry, I am." 

- - -

With the Legends now situated, Mina felt slightly better about leaving them. Daniel's house was far superior to her own and he didn't have  to explain their presence to anyone; like Mina would have to. It was for the best.

Being dropped off at home before the expected time of arrival of her father, she said her final goodbyes for the day.  

"I know it's been discussed, but I still don't want to stay there,"  Kris said, standing outside Mina's home. "It's too far." 

"Don't worry! If I ever sense another of your kind, I'll call." Presenting her cell phone for him to see, she grinned. "We're still connected!"

"Right..." Kris replied, his voice trailing off.

"We'll see you tomorrow!" Tao said, jumping forward and hugging Mina quickly, before jumping backwards.

"Until tomorrow!" Mina replied, waving goodbye.  

Watching the SUV disappear into the distance, Mina finally turned around and walked into her home. The girl then flipped open her cell. Lyn never did arrive at Daniel's that evening. Mina had only gotten a single text so she decided now would be best time to call. Calling, she received no response. She tried again.

Entering her room and turning on the light switch, only the fan . Mina had forgotten to switch the light back on. Walking into the middle of her dark room and reaching for the light switch; she felt a hand reach over as another grabbed her from behind.  

- - -