The Earthshaker

The Leaf and the Legends

Smile. Don’t cross your arms or legs. Turn your body towards the person you are shaking hands with or talking to, so that your body language is friendly and open. Make relaxed eye contact and don't stare when talking or listening. Mina knew the proper ways in which to make a good first impression, but of recent, had yet to act upon them.

In the first meeting with Kris, she had screamed, with Tao she had gawked at him and when meeting Chanyeol, she had screamed... again. Unable to make a good first impression with any of the Legends so far, Mina had planned on greeting D.O. with a bright and welcoming smile.

Instead, the girl found herself practically sitting on top of the boy. Just another fantastic first impression to add to her glowing record. Hurriedly moving off the Legend, Mina turned around and saw that he wore the dark robes she saw Kris and Tao wear. It somehow made her feel strangely nostalgic. Though it had been less than a week since she first met the others, it felt as though she'd known them all her life. Hearing another pained breath, Mina bowed her head, apologetically. 

"I'm so sorry... But thanks for breaking my fall!" Mina said gratefully. A bit embarrassed, she continued on with her nervous chatter. "I probably would have died if you weren't there! The whole 'near death' experience seems to happen a lot to me these days. But I think I become less scared the more it happens. Though this time falling down a hole in the earth was a bit scarier than the other times. Not to say you're scary! I'm just..." Noticing that Kyungsoo seemed less than responsive, or perhaps was overwhelmed by her rambling, she walked back closer to him. 

Bending down over the robed Legend, Mina pushed back the hood shading his face. Realizing there was a light source so deep in the earth, Mina quickly looked up. She could see sunlight pouring into different open crevasses in her cave-like surroundings. Looking back down to Kyungsoo, she took notice of his closed eyes, thick black eyebrows, and heart shaped top lip. Her gaze moving back up his face, Mina watched as his eyes began to flicker open.

His large and rounded eyes opened slowly, revealing a glimmering look of wonder. Of all the eyes Mina had ever gazed upon, the ones belonging to Kyungsoo seemed unusually curious. It could be that it was their first meeting and he didn't know who she was, but the look in his eyes seemed too natural, as if he always looked at things with a curious mind. Returning the gaze, Mina found herself staring. 

"Ah, sorry! Are you okay?"

Sitting up, D.O. looked around and then back at Mina. "You fell from the surface? Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm okay!" Mina replied excitedly. "This is great! You also seem to be okay!" Standing back up, Mina extended her hand to the boy on the ground. "I'm Mina, you're Kyungsoo right?"

Not taking her hand, Kyungsoo stood on his own and titled his head as his eyes remained wide. "You know my name?"

"Yeah! Oh right, I'm here with the others! Tao, Kris and Chanyeol are just above us, on the surface!" The girl's words only seemed to further confuse the Legend standing in front of her.

"They're here?"

"Yeah! We've been looking for you! I was worried that you'd be hurt or weak, but you seem strong and healthy!"

"My signaling worked?" D.O. asked.

"Eh? Signaling?"

Smiling to himself, D.O. looked up at the cave ceiling. "They must be waiting for me now." Looking back at the girl, he held out his hand. "Shall we head up?" 

- - - 

Under the harsh and blistering sun, a pair of worn fists continued to pound into the broken earth. The hands moved desperately, determined to rip apart all that stood in their way.   

"You should stop that," a deep voice warned, momentarily stopping the hands from slamming into the earth. 

Kris replied with a fiery glare and continued to pull up the soil beneath him. 

"You're only hurting yourself by doing that," Chanyeol shot back. Closing his eyes, the phoenix took a deep breath. "Mina's fine."

"I appreciate your optimism Chanyeol, but my best friend has fallen into some underground cavern. I'd rather us be doing something about it then just standing here." Walking over to Kris, Lyn joined the dragon. "Even if it's pointless in the end, at least it's something."

Pacing back and forth, Tao was conflicted. He was worried about Mina, but like Chanyeol he felt that she was fine. Even if her physical body wasn't very strong, her spirit and unrelenting will was. Stopping in his place, Tao smiled. "I think Mina's okay too."  

"I'm sure she is, but for my own peace of mind, could you attempt to help us Zitao?" Lyn asked, trying to control her shaking voice and slightly tearing eyes. "You too Daniel!" she add aggressively. 

Reacting to the girl's words and sensing her fear for her friend, Tao moved beside Lyn. His hands however, didn't reach down into the ground; instead, they wrapped around the girl's shoulders. The time controller understood what Lyn was feeling all too well, and knew her mind. 

"Mina's okay," Tao repeated reassuringly.

Feeling the ground begin to shake again, Tao immediately pulled Lyn back, while Kris and Daniel also quickly moved away from the crumbling earth. The group then looked on as a girl piggybacking a man in a robe, jumped out from the reopened hole and landed cleanly on the surface.

"Heya!" Mina cheerfully greeted, a large smile decorating her face. 

"Mina!" Lyn yelled, running towards her friend. "You idiot! I'm gonna kill you!" 

"Nice to see you too," the girl replied, letting go of D.O. and stepping on to the ground. Embraced and hit on the back by Lyn, Mina lightly laughed. "Sorry I worried you."

"You should apologize to Kris too!" Lyn yelled, still mad and at her friend but also greatly relieved. 

"Ah..." Being let go by Lyn, Mina looked over to Kris. The dragon had a less than welcoming expression on his face. He was also avoiding direct eye contact, something he rarely did. "I'm sorry Yi F-"  

"Kyungsoo!" Chanyeol yelled, interrupting Mina and smiling widely while throwing his arms around the shorter Legend. "You're really okay!" After being freed from the phoenix's tight hold, D.O. was then hugged by Tao, who also towered slightly over him. 

"We found you," Tao said, relieved and letting go of D.O.  

"You all really gathered," D.O. commented. "Mina wasn't lying."

"Of course I wasn't lying!" Mina replied, moving back closer to D.O. "We've been searching for you!"

Smiling and nodding his head, Kyungsoo finally took a look around. Under the falling afternoon sun, his round eyes glanced past Chanyeol, Tao and Mina, and stopped on Lyn and Daniel. Not recognizing the pair, he looked back to Chanyeol, eyes blinking in question. 

"That's Lyn and Daniel," Tao answered before D.O. could ask. 

"They helped us find you," Chanyeol added beaming. "They are also human, like Mina."

Pushing a piece of her straight short hair behind her right ear, Lyn outstretched her right hand to D.O. "Nice to meet you, I'm Lyn."

Reaching for the girl's outstretched hand, D.O. grinned. "Nice to meet you too." The earthshaker then looked over to Daniel. The boy was staring at or rather ogling him and had an eager look in his eyes. 

"You, you really were the one causing all those tremors?" Daniel began asking, in an unusually high pitched tone. "How exactly do you do that? Are your powers earth-based or is it all strength? Is it kinetic energy? Can you absorb energy and re-purpose it?"

"Looks like Daniel's in 'fanboy mode' again," Lyn said, sighing and shaking her head in disapproval. "Don't mind him Kyungsoo, he's usually like this when meeting you all for the first time."

"I am not in 'fanboy mode'... I'm just, extremely interested in his powers and abilities," Daniel rebutted, crossing his arms. 

"Yeah, yeah."

"So why were you down there?" Tao questioned, knowing that Lyn had ended Daniel's question attack on D.O.  

"Oh, well... There are lots of people around here. I didn't want to frighten them all with my presence. I thought the best way for me to travel would be underground, but I also kept signaling to you all. Looks like it worked!"

"Signaling?" Chanyeol repeated.

"The tremors. I knew I had to make my presence known somehow, just incase you all were also looking for me."

"Of course we'd be looking for you!" Embracing D.O. and letting him go again, Chanyeol's excitement couldn't be contained as he then turned to Mina and happily squeezed the girl. "You're the BEST!" Leaving the girl slightly flustered, Chanyeol then turned to Daniel and also threw his arms around him. "You too! You brought us here!"  

As Chanyeol continued to spread his happy virus around, D.O. looked toward Kris. The man had remained silent throughout the reunion and seemed less than happy in the background. Looking closer, he saw that the dragon's eyes seemed to be following Mina's arms. Glancing at the girl's arms for himself, he took notice of a few dark bruises and slightly bleeding cuts.

"Was that because of me?" Kyungsoo questioned loudly, reaching for Mina's arms and holding them up. 

"Oh..." Looking at her arms being held up, Mina finally realized that she was injured. It had not been the first time she had been bruised up, but this time she was actually slightly bleeding and hadn't even noticed. "This... Don't worry about it. I'm fine." 

"It was because of me wasn't it?" A sad and worried expression matched Kyungsoo's depressed tone of voice. "I'm so sorry." 

"That's nothing to worry about!" Lyn commented, looking at her friend's arms. "She's lucky nothing's broken!"

"Yeah, I really am!" Mina agreed.

Not convinced, Kyungsoo remained adamant about feeling sorry for what had happened. As the group made their way home, Mina found that D.O. held a certain role amongst the Legends. They all seemed to look at him as a nurturing figure and as D.O. made it his responsibility to make sure Mina's cuts healed properly, she easily understood why they looked at him as such. Just being near him, a certain sense of comfort was felt. 

With the addition of another body in the large vehicle, the seating arrangements were naturally changed up. Kris sat in the window seat and Tao sat beside him, with Chanyeol beside Kyungsoo. All four were in the middle row, while Mina sat in the back by herself. Though a welcomed change in spaciousness, Mina couldn't help but feel slightly uncomfortable. Kris was usually stubborn about being beside her but now, he seemed to not care; it made her somewhat lonely. 

Taking off on the road back home, the group caught Kyungsoo up on everything that had happened since their landing. All the stories had yet to lose their intrigue and D.O. was very receptive to all he was told and seemed amazed by Mina's ability. After all was said, Kyungsoo shared his own short story about landing and how he traveled alone for a while.

The earthshaker hadn't been too hurt upon landing due to his own particular power. As they learned, to Daniel's delight, Kyungsoo's powers were force based with a connection to earth. He didn't have the ability to manipulate earth in the ways that Chanyeol could manipulate fire. However, he had the ability to move the earth by physical and unique means. His ability was ideal for restructuring landscapes and creating tunnels or even shelter, as he could move earth into earth as he pleased. The limitations of his power, came with losing contact with the earth, as he couldn't create earth from his being and had to use what was already in existence.  

- - -

Arriving back into town as the sun continued to fall, Lyn was dropped off, and Mina waved the group goodbye as they took off to Daniel's. As she watched them drive off, she realized once again that she had forgotten to mention seeing Kai. It had been an eventful day so Mina forgave her forgetful self and walked inside her home. Greeted by both her parents, she realized that in less than three days she'd no longer be with them and she didn't know when she'd see them again. She never 'left' home before and looking at the bags she had packed, things continued to feel surreal.   

Looking at her arms was now her only proof that everything was real and had happened. Sliding her left hand over the small cuts on her right arm, Mina smiled recalling D.O.'s concern. But the smile was quickly replaced by a pensive frown. She never realized it before, but it was usually Kris fussing over her being okay. The dragon now seemed indifferent, in fact, after she fell and found Kyungsoo, Kris hadn't said another word to her. Perhaps he was mad at her? It was impossible to tell considering his usual expression. 

Sighing Mina pulled a pillow from her bed and placed it on the floor beside the opened window, she hoped he'd still visit. However, based upon his new distant behavior, she wasn't too sure he'd come. Passing by the old book on her desk, the girl's slightly low spirits were lifted and she smiled. 

"Four down, eight to go."

- - -