Language

The Leaf and the Legends

The ability to stop time at any given moment; rewind it, completely change past events and bring about different outcomes, was something to be marveled. Time manipulation itself was potentially as dangerous as any physical power, and perhaps even more deadly. Yet, despite his incredible power, Tao just wished for the ability to make the digital clock inside the SUV move faster. He wasn't usually such an impatient person, but the fact that they had been traveling for well more than a few hours and had yet to reach their first location was discouraging. 

"How much longer until we arrive?" Tao inquired politely from the backseat. 

"Shouldn't be too much longer," Daniel vaguely answered.

Sighing, Tao turned to his right. Beside him was the ever silent and pensive Kris. As usual, the Legend had remained mum for almost the entire trip. And though the two sat mere centimeters from each other, Tao could feel the cold distance between them. Due to the dragon's memory loss, Zitao had to start back a square one with Kris. It was a difficult process, as he had been so close to his Duizhang for so long, that he had forgotten what it was like when he first met the cautious brown eyed Legend. 

It was hard to comprehend that at a point in time they hadn't know each other, but it was a fact. Before meeting, they all had their own lives in different corners of the universe. It was not until they all were drawn to the newly created Tree of Life did they even find out of each other's existence. Tao liked to believe that it was fate that they all were pulled together and he knew the others felt the same. Through their bond, created by the Tree of Life, the twelve had gone from strangers to friends and eventually to brothers. And now, Tao could no longer image life without them all.

Looking back behind him, Tao saw Chanyeol leaning on D.O., his eyes closed and his mouth slightly open. The lanky and energetic Legend hadn't slept properly due to his own excitement and so, as the hours passed, he eventually fell asleep. He wasn't the only one however, up in front, Tao could tell Lyn too had fallen asleep. Similar to Mina but also so different, Lyn was as human as one could get, but still he could sense a uniqueness about her. She reminded him of someone, but who exactly, he couldn't recall.

Moving his eyes back toward Kris, Tao watched as Mina's head fell onto Duizhang's shoulder again. Falling in and out of sleep every couple of minutes, her head would lightly bob and rest on Kris a small while until she'd jerk awake for a few brief moments. The process continued on for a while until Mina finally exhaled and sleepily leaned herself towards the window.

What happened next reconfirmed Tao's understanding of the current status quo.  

With light and gentle movements, Kris reached for Mina and softly laid her head against his more comfortable and broad shoulder. In her deep slumber, she didn't resist and allowed herself to sleep on his shoulder with a short exhale. Looking down at the girl and then back to the front of the car, a small lipped grin was visible on Kris's face.          

That happy grin. Tao recognized it well. Before the Red Force had nearly destroyed the Tree of Life, that specific grin was always present on Kris's face when Tao was with him. All the affection and warmth Yi Fan used to show him and the others was now only shown to Mina. As heartbreaking as it was to accept, Tao knew the reason. Mina was the first to find him and to take care of him, while the Legends were all strangers to him now. That wasn't all though... on top of everything, there was something peculiar about Mina; they all felt it. 

Almost as if D.O. was reading his mind, the earthshaker tapped on Tao's shoulder and began using their shared language to communicate.

"Have you thought about my theory on Mina?" Kyungsoo questioned from behind.

"Which one?" Tao asked in response. 

"The other half."

"Ah, honestly I'm not sure about that at all. It's only something amongst you four right?"

"Yes. Only Suho, Sehun, Chanyeol and myself." 

"Right. Have you talked with Chanyeol about it? We don't have an 'other half' in my place of origin. It's all choice."  

Following the conversation, Kris gave the two his full attention, but found it hard to follow what they were talking about. "What is an 'other half'?" he asked, using the same language. 

Turning his attention to Kris, Kyungsoo blinked his eyes a moment before he began explaining the theory he had created just the night before. If Kyungsoo had been born into Mina's world, he'd undoubtedly be a theorist, or perhaps even a scientist. It was just his inherit need to gather, organize and disseminate information in reasonable ways.

The 'other half' theory revolved around the belief that Mina's world was in fact the alternate of D.O. and Chanyeol's world. And that Mina was only special because she was not just a normal human, but the other half of one of the Legends; meaning that she'd complete them and make their existence 'whole'.

Hearing all this, Yi Fan's expression grew dark. The idea that the girl sleeping on his shoulder was meant to sleep on someone else's shoulder, was not something he enjoyed hearing. "So who's other half would she be? Yours?" Kris asked, his words a bit fiery.   

"There is no 'other half'," Chanyeol interrupted, still leaning against D.O. with his eyes shut tight. "It's choice."

All the attention shifting over the phoenix, Chanyeol yawned and stretched his lanky arms out over his head.

"How can you be so certain?" D.O. asked, slightly offended that Chanyeol unceremoniously tossed one of his more complex theories out the window.

"I'm not completely certain, but I just don't think that's the defining reason," Chanyeol replied, sleepily scratching his light brown locks. 

"But having an 'other half' is possible," D.O. insisted. 

"It's only possible because you want it to be possible, Kyungsoo." 

Hearing the phoenix's words, D.O. became a bit flustered. "That's not it! My theory has legitimate reasoning."

Smiling, Chanyeol patted Kyungsoo on his shoulder. "Okay, okay, we all have our own 'other half' that we are waiting to find one day."

"You don't have to mock me about it," D.O. mumbled.

Not understanding a single word that was being said, Daniel's mind was overworking itself in an attempt to find a pattern in their language that he could decode or understand. But as the Legends continued speaking, he only heard an exchange of complex sounds and noises. He desperately wished he knew what they were saying, but it was pointless. Turning his attention back to where it belonged on the road, Daniel tried to concentrate on the upcoming turn off, but he was drawn back into their conversation as another voice joined their foreign conversation.

"You guys can never stay too quiet for too long can you?" Mina muttered in a groggy voice. Rubbing her eyes and moving her hair away from her face, she unknowingly buried herself back into Kris's shoulder. 

"Did she just use our language?" D.O. asked astonished.

"Sounded like it..." Chanyeol answered, also surprised.

"I thought only the twelve of us could speak it?" Kris questioned, his eyes still on the girl leaning against him.  

Hearing the low rumble of Kris's voice, Mina finally opened her eyes and looked up. Seeing Kris stare back at her, she jolted upright. "Why was I-? Why didn't you wake me?"  

"She's still using it!" Chanyeol excitedly said, an amazed bright smile lighting up his face. 

"Can you understand us?" Tao questioned urgently.   

Looking past Kris, Mina gave Tao a strange and confused look. "Of course I can."

"I guess she can pick more than just our powers," D.O. concluded, still amazed that Mina flawlessly understood and spoke their ancient tongue.

"I feel like I missed something here," Mina said, noticing all the bright, curious eyes staring at her.

"You think that's it?" Tao asked, looking over to D.O.

"I do. It explains a lot," Kyungsoo answered. Turning to Chanyeol, he smirked. "You see, my theories are well based in reasoning."

Noticing that the new topic seemed to trigger a three way discussion between Chanyeol, Tao and D.O., Mina was left with only Kris to fill her in. However he didn't, instead Kris quietly asked a simple question. 

"So, did you dream of me again?"

"N- No! Why would I?" she asked back in her own hushed voice.

"You said you dream of me. I was wondering if you do all the time." 

Speaking once again in her own language, Mina responded, "I don't! Plus that time it wasn't just you, Tao was there too!" Recalling that strange dream again, she shook her head. "I haven't dreamt of you since then."   

Feeling her heart rate speed up a small bit, Mina realized that the SUV had suddenly grown silent with only the sound of Daniel fidgeting with the GPS in the background. After a small irritated slam against the machinery, Daniel's shaking voice filled the SUV.  

"Hey guys..." Daniel began slowly, before nervously pausing. "I think... we're lost." 

"Lost?" Mina yelled, waking the sleeping Lyn. "How can we be lost? We have a GPS!"

"What's with all the yelling?" Lyn asked, yawning.  

"Daniel got us lost." Mina answered.

"I didn't get us lost! Something's interfering with the signal," Daniel replied, sighing and pulling over to the side of the lone road. 

Looking out the front window with sleepy eyes, Lyn yawned again and pulled out her phone. "Chill guys, I'll just pull up maps and find where we are."

Realizing that he too had more than just a GPS, Daniel pulled out his own phone. 

Not having a 'smart' phone, Mina felt her flip phone in her pocket, but resisted the urge to pull it out because she knew she couldn't do the same things that Daniel or Lyn could do with their respective phones. She never thought it was such a big deal, but now 'lost' Mina realized just how technologically behind she was.  

"What are they doing?" Kyungsoo questioned, breaking Mina's attention away from her own thoughts.  

"We're lost... ," Chanyeol sighed, a look of distraught visible on his face. 

"Yeah..." Mina added. "Perhaps we should have thought to prepare more thoroughly. With less dependence on our technology."

"Well, you could have helped in preparing us, Mina," Daniel defensively commented.

"Dang it!" Lyn cursed. "This why I hate this side of the country. Not enough towers to get a decent signal. You got anything Daniel?"

Sighing, Daniel shook his head. "Nothing, not even my hotspot creator is working properly."  

"So what now?" Tao asked.

"Well, we can't go any further. This car uses up gas quickly. We can't just wander, unless we really want to become stranded out in the middle of nowhere."

"What?" Lyn asked, looking away from her phone and over to Daniel.

"You mean we're stuck here until the signal comes back?" Mina questioned.   

"Yes."

"Can't Mina just find our next location?" Chanyeol inquired. 

"I can't just do that though, Chanyeol," the girl in question answered, turning around to look at Chanyeol directly.

"Why not? I've seen you do it before." 

"I can't. For some reason it just doesn't work like that."

"So we are left in a state of immobility?" Kyungsoo asked. 

"I guess."

"What if I take you around?" Kris asked out loud, after quietly thinking to himself. 

All eyes moving to Kris, the group seemed to understand what he was getting at. 

"Duh! Why didn't we think of that earlier!" Lyn said, lightly hitting her palm against her forehead. "Y'all are aliens! Kris can fly!"

"Right! So, he'll take Mina around to try and find a signal? Or to find another one of you all?" Daniel questioned.

"What about both? Or whichever starts working first?" Kyungsoo suggested.

"Working... It's not like I'm broken or anything," Mina mumbled.

"Sounds like a plan!" Daniel said smiling. Turning around to face Mina, he handed her a small tablet. "When you get a signal, press this button. It'll send a message to my second device." 

"Okay, but what if I don't get a signal? What if we get lost out there?" 

"We'll be okay," Kris assured her, unbuckling their seatbelts and slightly smiling.

"Should we come along?" Tao asked, watching Kris open the door.

"That'd be a waste of resources. We don't all need to exhaust ourselves," Yi Fan answered 

"We have a steady supply of energy though. Right?" Chanyeol said, smiling at Mina.  

"Of course!" the girl answered with a thumbs up. 

"You will only slow us down though," Kris rejected. 

"Hey! We can pull our own weight." Chanyeol remarked. 

"Let them go," Tao interrupted calmly. "We'll wait. We've done it before, what's a few more minutes?"

"Well, I want to at least stretch my legs. I'm feeling a bit cramped," The phoenix said, moving to climb out.

"Me too!" Kyungsoo joined in.  

Jumping out of the SUV and turning around to Mina, Kris placed his hand out. "Let's go."

- - - 

The sensation of flying during the day was a much different experience than at night. It was more surreal. Being able to clearly see the ground pass by beneath her, Mina had to make an effort to keep her eyes on the tablet Daniel had given her. 

"Anything?" Kris asked, keeping his eyes forward.

"Nothing yet," Mina replied, moving her eyes from the ground to the tablet. "I think we should slow down some."

Flying down towards the ground, Kris put Mina down and began walking, leaving the girl confused.

"I didn't say we should stop. Just slow down."

"Mina... How will this all end?" Kris asked suddenly.

"What do you mean?" she questioned, following behind the dragon. 

"When all twelve of us are together again, what will happen to you?"

Mina furrowed her brow in thought. "I'm not sure. I haven't even thought of it."

"Tao has been telling me about our purpose and our home. We are not supposed to be here."

"That's why we're working on getting you all home." Mina said smiling, holding the tablet up. 

Turning around and facing Mina, Kris's expression was torn."But, I like being here, with you." 

Moving her arms down and a putting the tablet by her side, Mina was unsure of how to respond.

"When the time comes, I don't think I'll go back."

Shocked by what she was hearing, Mina grabbed Kris by the arms. "That's ridiculous! There would be no point in all this if you ended up staying! You just need to get your memory back!" Letting go of him, and putting the tablet back in front of her she continued, "I'm sure when all twelve of you are together, then you'll get your memory back!"

"So you want me to leave?" 

"No!" Mina replied, unhesitating. "I just want to help you all..." Keeping her eyes on the tablet, Mina started walking. "I... think we should keep moving. Don't want to keep everyone waiting. Right?"

"Yeah."

Picking Mina back up and jumping into the air, the two continued on their search. Somehow the dynamic between the two was constantly changing, and they both felt it. What to make of it though, was hard to pinpoint. 

Trying to keep her focus on the tablet and the signal, Mina sighed seeing nothing. For ten more minutes the two traveled on with no success. 

"Let's go higher," Mina suggested, wanting to try something different. Following directions, Kris elevated the two higher into the sky. Finally seeing a town in the distance, the two felt relieved. "I'm going to signal the others. I know it's not what we were looking for, but I'm sure the people in town will be able to help."

Nodding, Kris lowered the two on the ground a good distance away from the town, as to not attract unwanted attention.

Smiling as her shoes touched the dry grass, Mina's eyes widened. For a brief moment she had felt another Legend. Was is Kai? Looking around Mina scrunched her eyes. Almost completely on the opposite side of the town was a forest in the distance. Looking at it, she felt it again. One of the Legends was there. She knew it, she could feel it. A big grin decorating her face, Mina was once again excited. Despite initially believing that they were lost, they were exactly where they needed to be and had yet another Legend waiting for them in the wings.

Despite Kai being the one she initially thought it could be, she dismissed that notion.

It was definitely someone else. Someone with a soft and quiet presence. 

- - - 


A/N: Well... Hello Readers! Old and New! Thanks so much for subbing and commenting. I must admit it was very unusual to experience being promoted! I've never imagined so many people would actually find this that interesting. I'm really thankful for all the support and I hope you enjoy. It's finally about time another Legend joined the group, aye? n_n I wonder if you can guess who the calm and quiet presence belongs to~ Thanks for reading <3