Midnight Flight

The Leaf and the Legends

  A surge of fear ran though Mina as two hands grabbed onto her in the dark room. Luckily, the fear was short lived when she was greeted by the unknown perpetrator. "Boo," a familiar voice whispered into Mina's ear. 

Turning the light on and ripping the hand over away, Mina yelled, "I'm going to kill you Lyn!"

Successful in her goal to scare her friend, the mischievous girl with short straight hair giggled and fell onto Mina's bed. 

"Is this why you didn't answer my calls?" Mina asked, looking over to her friend.

"Yep," Lyn replied, still lightly chuckling. 

"You're horrible," Mina remarked, picking up a pillow and throwing it at Lyn's face.

"Yeah, yeah," the girl replied, grabbing the pillow thrown at her and hugging it. "So they really are gone, huh?"

"They are with Daniel now," Mina answered, a slight frown forming on her face.

"Are you really upset about it?"

"I'm not upset..." she lied, sitting on the bed next to Lyn.

"Of course you're not sad, there is no reason to be... So, what's the new plan?"

- - -

Divulging the details of the new plan, but skipping over the small afternoon incident, Mina shared all she knew with Lyn.

"The day after graduation? Isn't that a bit soon?" 

"I think it's perfect," Mina replied.

"You're really still serious about all this aren't you?" 

Without saying a word, Mina nodded; prompting Lyn to ask another question.

"So what are you going to tell your parents? 'Hey mom and Dad! Do you all mind if I leave for who knows where, for who knows how long with a whole bunch of attractive men that have supernatural abilities and come from a different world?'"

"I get your point Lyn," Mina said, narrowing her eyes at her friend. "I'm actually going to be using what Daniel calls 'the perfect lie.'

"And that is?"

"So, Daniel is going to the same University as us... and he came up with a pretty brilliant lie. He even made me an official letter. His forgery skills are impressive."

"So when you leave with Daniel, they will think it's related to Uni?"

"Yeah," Mina replied, laying down beside Lyn. "You'll come too, won't you?"

Lyn looked away from her friend. "I dunno."

"Lyn... I need you to come." Shifting back to face Mina, the girl with ebony hair smiled.

"So did Daniel forge a letter for me as well?"

"I can make him do it!" Mina happily said, hugging Lyn. "You have to start packing soon!"

"Yeah, yeah."

"We have to be ready for anything." Sitting up on the bed once more, Mina and Lyn froze in place hearing the front door open. 

"Speaking of ready for anything... looks like your dad's home." 

The girls walked out of the room and seeing her father walk into the living room, Mina ran to him. An older man with salt and pepper sprinkled hair and defined wrinkles around his eyes and mouth; Mina's father Orrin was a bear of a man. Greeting him at the door, Mina hugged her father. Hearing a second pair of foot steps, Mina was surprised to see her mother standing a few feet behind her dad. Short in stature like Mina, Linda was also advanced in age. Although by looking at her, one wouldn't be able to tell the woman was well past her thirties and almost her forties. With short curly brown hair framing her youthful face, Linda smiled and held her arms out to her daughter.

"Mom!" Mina exclaimed, moving from her father's embrace to her mother's. "I thought just dad would be home."

"Ama is doing a lot better, so I came with dad." Peaking around the corner, Lyn waved hello to Mina's parents.

"Welcome back."

"Lyn? Isn't it a school night?" Linda questioned,  looking at her daughter.

"Ah, yeah it  is... We were just talking about graduation," Mina replied, telling a partial truth. 

"Oh that's right! Graduation is this weekend!" her mother recalled, letting Mina go.

"That reminds me!" Mina said loudly. "I got my letter this morning."

"Your letter?" her father asked. A wide and proud smile covering his face, Orrin looked down to Mina. "Your letter. You got in didn't you?" 

Smiling, Mina nodded. "I did. We did! Lyn got in too... but there is something more." Having both parents present, Mina decided it was now or never. She would tell them 'the perfect lie'. 

Mina had rarely ever lied to her parents; it was just never necessary. However, this time she believed it was. With Lyn by her side and the image of Tao's tearful face in her mind, Mina lied. It was such a simple lie... but that's what made it believable. The lie created by Daniel concerned a false new program 'created' by the city University. Supposedly based on academic merit, Daniel, Mina and now Lyn were part of a small distinguished group of applicants chosen to participate in the 'Best Foot First Program'. In the fake program, the selected students would start certain classes early. Using the forged letter that Daniel had given to her earlier in the day as 'proof,' Mina's parents bought it.

Hook, line and sinker. Her parents always knew about her plans to leave and accepted the fact ever since she began working hard at getting in to the University. So, letting her go was the only fair decision in their minds. The two had so much trust and faith in Mina that it pained her hearing their excited responses. 

- - -     

She had done it. She was given the okay to leave with Daniel and Lyn. It made her feel happy and horrible at the same time. She wished she could have told them the truth, but she knew it'd be too much for them to take in. Mina stared out her window and looked at the dark night sky alone. Lyn had already left and Mina's parents were now fast asleep, but still the girl was wide awake. Daniel's old and worn book held closely to her body, Mina wondered what awaited her after graduation. She also wondered how the others were doing. Opening to the page she had bookmarked, Mina's finger out lined a circle enclosed inside a triangle. It was the signature of the teleport. The one that disappeared without a trace. She was worried about him. Closing the book and looking back outside, Mina's view was temporarily blocked by something in the sky.

"The heck was that?" Mina quizzically asked herself out loud; sticking her head outside the window. Seeing nothing upon further investigation, she moved back inside her room and shut her window. Placing the book down on her desk before making her way to her bed, Mina heard a light tapping sound. Turning around, she looked to her closed window.

"Kris?"

Standing right outside the one story home, was non other than the dragon she had said goodbye to not more than four hours ago. Mina walked over to the window and opened it. "Why are you here?" she questioned. Blinking her eyes, a thought hit her. "Wait... Were you just flying?" 

Smiling at Mina's expression of wonderment, Kris nodded. The girl's mouth fell open at his response, but quickly closed when she shook her head. Refocusing on her first question, Mina repeated herself.

"Why are you here?"

"Do you want go up?" Kris asked, offering his hand to Mina.

"Eh?"

"You look like you want to." Tilting his head and putting his hand down, Kris continued, "Or am I wrong?"

Allowing her own question to be forgotten, Mina stared at the hand that was outstretched to her a moment ago. "You'd really take me up with you?" 

Kris nodded at the girl's response and held his hand out to her once more. Taking his hand, Mina climbed out from her window. She wasn't sure what had come over the usually stoic and reserved Legend, but she didn't mind it too much; especially since he was offering her the chance to fly.

Bare feet touching the grassy yard, Mina looked up at Kris. "So what should I do?"

"Hold on," he replied, guiding her to stand atop the shoes he wore. Complying, Mina wrapped her arms around Kris tightly; bracing herself for take off. Feeling the girl's arms wrap around him and her face press softly against his chest, the dragon placed his own hands around Mina's back. It was the first time he had embraced her. Naturally closing his eyes, Kris now understood why Tao hugged Mina so often. 

After a few moments passed without any change in location, Mina looked up at Kris and loosened her hold around him. "Now what?" she asked. 

Feeling interrupted, Kris opened his eyes and took a short breath of air. "Ready?"

Tightening her grip and looking back to her side, cheek resting against Kris; Mina responded excitedly, "Ready!"

With little effort, Kris moved them off the ground. Hovering for a moment, Mina looked down; her jaw dropping. Taking things slowly, the pair moved upwards into the sky. It was Mina's first time venturing into the heavens. She had never been on a plane or gone sky diving, or done anything worthwhile in the skies. Now, she was flying. Seeing her rooftop as they continued on higher; Mina couldn't stop smiling. She looked up at Kris and found that his eyes were already looking down at her.

"You really can fly," she said, only loud enough for Kris to hear. "You're like Superman." Kris could fly, he was fast... he was strong. He really was like Superman. Mina envied him.

Taking delight in the vision of the girl's jubilant face, Kris wanted to show her even more. Increasing their acceleration into the star-filled sky, Kris enjoyed the feeling of Mina's hold on him tighten.

"Too fast! Too fast!" Mina yelled, her voice muffled by Kris's shirt. Feeling a vibration and hearing an unfamiliar noise, Mina realized that Kris was laughing. Although his laughter was something abnormal, the fact that he was laughing at her fear seemed fitting.

Listening to Kris's laughter, Mina was strangely reminded how human-like he was. Just like the others. They laughed and cried. They had a sense of brotherhood and humor. They were just like her, only more remarkable. In the air and well above the small town she called home,  Mina pinched herself. Feeling the slight sting, she felt better. She wasn't dreaming. This was her new reality, and she couldn't be happier. 

Kris slowly stopped laughing, but a smile remained on his face. The Legend was glad he was able to show Mina his power. He also felt good knowing the smile on her face was because of something he did.

Out of sight and amongst the stars; Mina began feeling a similar sensation. There was a ringing in her ears and it was getting louder. Removing her arms from around Kris and to the side of her head, she shut her eyes and bit down on her lips, trying not to scream.         

Alarmed, but recognizing the pained expression and position, Kris gently pulled the girl up into his arms and began moving back down to the ground. "Mina?"

Fighting back against the painful screeching, Mina tried to focus on Kris's voice. As he continued to call her name, the noise slowly faded out and Mina dropped her hands from her head.      

Landing back on ground somewhere around the town elementary, Kris let Mina down. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm okay. Thanks." A bit shaken but also disappointed that their flight was temporarily over, Mina sat on the ground.

"I'm glad. Last time that happened, you lost consciousness," Kris replied, still standing.

"Last time?" The girl's eyes narrowed in disbelief. "This has happened before?"     

"Yes, I thought Tao had attacked you."

Mina didn't respond, she didn't know what to say. She couldn't remember the last time he spoke of.

Joining Mina on the ground, Kris sighed, "The longer I stay around you, the less I understand about you."

"I know what you mean," the girl replied. "I'm understanding myself less and less everyday." Looking to her counterpart, Mina stared at Kris. He was somehow different. He wasn't as short or curt with her as he usually was. Not that he had ever treated her unkindly, he was just usually different. Grabbing Kris's hand and holding it a moment, Mina watched as the familiar green sparks flew. 

"Why did you do that?" Kris asked, as Mina let go of his hand.  

"Just checking." Standing up, Mina was eager to fly back up into the sky. She wanted to go faster now, she felt she was ready. "Let's go home." Kris nodded and stood back up. "Wait." Seeing Kris stand, Mina's childish mind got an idea. "Kris, could you do me a favor?"

"A favor?" he questioned, his thick brows furrowing together.

"Yeah... Could you put your right hand out like this and make your left look like this?" Making fists with both her hands, Mina held her right hand above her head and bent her left arm up towards her. 

"Why?" the Legend questioned. 

"Please?"    

Not refusing the girl, Kris copied the pose accordingly for a few moments before resuming his normal stance. 

"Wait! Could you now slowly fly up into the air holding that pose? Pointing your toes down as you go up? Please?"

Staring at the strange girl, Kris shook his head. "I really don't understand you, Mina." Despite his rejecting tone, Kris slowly lifted into the air as Mina asked him to.  

Watching Kris go up into the sky, Mina's eyes became crescent shaped as she laughed. "That's so cool! You're the best Kris! Just like Superman!" Based upon her past experiences with Kris, Mina didn't expect him to indulge her childish desire. The dragon's behavior was indeed unusual, but also appreciated.

Not sure what to make of Mina's reaction, Kris stopped posing and landed softly on the ground. Crossing his arms, he asked the laughing girl a question.

"Who is Superman?"

"You are!" Mina responded, happily pointing at Kris. A big grin still on her face, Mina continued on, "But, I'll tell you more about the other guy they call Superman." Walking closer to Kris, Mina reached out to take his hands to leave but stopped midway. Turning her head to her right and then sharply to her left, she sensed him.  

Kai. 

She was positive it was him. The signal was weak but it was there. She wanted to run towards the feeling, but he kept moving around too sporadically. She didn't know where to go. 

"Kai's here," Mina said, filling Kris in. 

"The teleport?"

"Yeah, he's unstable. I keep losing his signal." Scratching her head in frustration, Mina was unsure of what to do. Sensing that Kai had finally stopped moving, Mina still didn't know what direction to head. "I think my ability is weakening somehow. I can't pinpoint his location."

"Is he moving around?"

"He was, but he's not anymore."

"So you think you can't locate him because your ability is weakening?"

"I dunno. He's here though, I just can't tell where. We better just search the area. At the very least, he's within five miles."

"That would waste time.  I have an idea." Kris pulled Mina into him and placing his hands on her shoulders, the blonde Superman bent down and met his lips with hers.

He had recalled how Mina had given him unneeded energy earlier and thought giving it back may help their cause in finding the teleport. The Legend only hoped he was doing it properly.

The girl's eyes opened wide feeling Kris's lips lightly touch her own at first. She then felt him begin to move his lips against her own. Finally pushing Kris away, Mina caught her breath and yelled, "What the heck!" Raising her hand and bringing it down in attempt to hit Kris, Mina stopped short and turned her head to her left. "He's that way," the girl said, taking off.

Running behind Mina, Kris knew his plan had worked. Sweeping Mina off her feet and gliding over the ground, Kris followed Mina's directions. With no time to be upset, Mina directed the pair four miles away from their original location.

"Around here," Mina said to her chaperon.

Kris stopped and let the girl down. The two were now at a park located in between the elementary and the middle school. Catching a glimpse of a pair of eyes in the dark, Mina knew they had found him. Running closer, she wasn't prepared for what she saw.         

The teleport lay against a tree, bleeding profusely. His eyes were now shut and Mina could see a deep red shade of fresh blood trailing from the sides of his mouth. The Legend was torn up like an old rag doll.

Bending over him, Mina pulled her pajama sleeve back and reached her hand out, ready to give Kai some energy. Stopped when the Legend began coughing up blood, Mina saw his eyes open and heard him grumble in a language she didn't know but somehow understood.   

Looking into Kai's tired and dark eyes, Mina felt his pain. Before her palm had the chance to hit his, the teleport was gone. Only the words he said remained echoing in her ears.

"It's here..." 

- - -