School

The Leaf and the Legends

Sitting at her desk in class, Mina couldn't focus. After finally getting her letter of acceptance into the college of her choice with Lyn, class felt even more like a waste of her time than usual. Why was being in class still necessary? The whole point of High School was to get into college wasn't it? Well, she did it. Other than knowing she had gotten into the University in the city, Mina also hated being in class because it meant being away from the three Legends.

Restless, her eyes wandered back once again to the clock on the wall and then down to the notebook in front of her. With three more half days of school left and graduation at the end of the week, Mina was not looking forward to the next few days. Especially with what had happened during that very morning.      

- - -

"I've decided not to go."

It was Kris that had rejected the notion of leaving. Speaking calmly and with a clear, unclouded gaze he looked towards Daniel when speaking. Although she knew that it was for the best, Mina too, didn't want them to leave her. Over the past few days she had become selfish for their presence, even Chanyeol's who she had barely met. She didn't want to say goodbye so soon and hearing that Kris didn't want to leave made her heart skip a beat and a slight smile reappear on her face.

"Why?" Daniel asked, perplexed by Kris's new rejection of the plan he helped create. 

"I'm not leaving just yet." 

"Why?" Daniel repeated like a broken record. 

"I think Mina can assist us better than you can."

"No way!" Daniel yelled exasperated. "Didn't we already agree that it was best for them to stay with me?" he asked Mina. 

Being brought into the conversation, Mina kept her eyes lowered and bit down on her bottom lip; trying to think of how to respond.

"Didn't we?" Daniel prodded. 

"Well... They can make their own decisions." 

"So we aren't going?" Chanyeol asked out loud. 

"You can go," Kris spat sharply. "But I'm staying."

"I'm only going if you go!" Tao chimed in. "We have to stay together! I won't go if you don't!"

"I'm with Tao, I don't want to be separated again," Chanyeol added.     

"This is ridiculous!" Daniel yelled, still in disbelief. 

"Well, it seems as though we are not going," Kris said in a satisfied voice.  

"Mina! Say something!" Daniel yelled again. 

Speaking up once more, Mina didn't care to dance around how she felt. "I don't want them to leave." Seeing Daniel's face fall even more at her words, Mina felt a bit apologetic towards him... but she meant it. She didn't want to part. 

"Isn't your dad going to be home sometime today?" Daniel said, reminding his slightly disillusioned classmate.

His words hit Mina like an unwanted splash of cold reality. Her father was expected at any hour. So, even if she wanted them to stay, there was no way. They had to leave. 

"I'm right aren't I?" Daniel asked.

Snapping back into reality, Mina's selfish desires would have to be put aside. She nodded silently to Daniel, who seemed relieved.

"So, back to our original plan."

"Wait. We can't stay?" Kris asked, following the one sided conversation. 

"I'm sorry," Mina muttered. 

Standing together in the living room, it remained quiet until moments later Mina felt the cell in her pocket vibrate. Picking up the phone, Mina heard the familiar deep and raspy voice that belonged to her father. He called to let his daughter know that he would be headed home after dinner and was expected to arrive around nine at night. The call was bitter sweet, she now knew the expected time of arrival, however her father would indeed be home that day. Closing her phone, Mina realized that all eyes were on her.  

"So your dad still coming home today?" Daniel questioned.

"Yeah, but not until nine," the girl replied, putting her cell back in her pocket, a slight smile forming on her face.

"What does that mean for us?" Tao asked.

"You can all stay until then!" Mina responded, "but... before nine tonight, you all have to leave."

"Have to?" Kris repeated.

"Have to. My dad would never let you all stay. He'd never understand all this... But I'm staying home again today! So we'll have more time!"

Mina's last sentence stung the ears of Daniel. "You're skipping?" 

"Of course I am."

"No you're not!" Daniel retorted.  

"School isn't as important as this is." 

"Yes it is!"

- - -

Looking over to Daniel's empty desk, Mina gritted her teeth in a showcase of displeasure. Daniel had convinced the Legends that it was necessary for Mina to go to school. Using his "importance of education" speech, Daniel explained school attendance in such a way that by the end of it, all the Legends wanted her to go and earnestly waved her goodbye as she left that morning. The only things that helped Mina stay in class now was the promise that Daniel and the trio made to stay until she came back, and Lyn. Eating lunch with Lyn, Mina filled her best friend in on everything that had happened... with some minor details left out.

"You're like a magnet for these guys!" Lyn exclaimed, hearing more about what happened.

"Mmmm. Not really. I think it's more like I have a compass? They aren't attracted to me or anything like that.

"Not attracted to you? Sounds right, you've never attracted any guy in your entire life" Lyn commented playfully. 

Rolling her eyes, Mina shot back "And you have?"

Flipping her short ebony hair frivolously, Lyn fluttered her eyelashes. "They are all just too intimidated by my beauty to confess their love for me. "Mina laughed at her friend's display and soon her laughter was joined by Lyn's own. "But you know, I'm surprised you are able to be around all those guys without a problem."

"Well, they aren't really 'guys'. They are aliens," Mina replied.

"Yeah but they look like guys. Really really good looking guys."

"But they are not." 

"And that new one... Chan?"

"Chanyeol?"

"Yeah, he sounds like your type."

"My type?" Mina said feeling her face warm. She still hadn't mentioned the whole 'energy transfer' situation.  She felt it was too embarrassing to tell others about. 

"Yes, I know your type. Tall, brown wavy hair, bright round eyes and a contagious smile. Considering that the other two are so handsome, Chan-something must also be a looker."

"Did I really describe Chanyeol like that to you?"

"Mmmhmmm. You also had a dreamy look on your face."

"No, I didn't."

"Yeah you did Mina."

"They are all aliens 'slash' Legends. I don't think of them as anything else."

"Really?"

"Well... except maybe Tao," Mina said, thinking again. 

"What!?"

"Tao is like my Chunnie, a younger brother I never had."

"And Kris?"

"An alien. Just like Chanyeol."

"Right... So we headed over to Daniel's after school?"

"Nope. They promised to stay home until I got back so we'd leave together."

"So, should I just meet up with y'all at Daniel's? Lyn asked.

"Yeah, that should work." 

"So tell me again why Daniel is over at your house right now?" 

Mina sighed recalling the morning. "He convinced them all that while school was important for me, it was crucial for him to stay and help plan out what to do next."

"How manipulative," Lyn replied, slightly impressed. 

"Yeah, but I only agreed after Kris gave me his word that he wouldn't leave without me. He said he didn't plan on it." Mina grinned remembering Kris's firm stance on not leaving her behind.

"You're getting pretty attached to them aren't you?" Lyn commented, seeing her friend's happy face.

"I'm already attached," she replied honestly.

"Hmmm... I wonder how much longer this will all last."

"What do you mean?"

"Mina, think about it!"

"About what?"

"Okay, so yes, we've come into contact with aliens, but we still have our own lives to live. Our plans? Uni in the fall? Remember?"

"I know!" Mina replied shortly. She hadn't forgotten the long made plans that her and her best friend had made; she had just gotten sidetracked. 

"So you know you can't really help them all."

"Why not?"

"Isn't there like, 12 of them?"

"Yeah, but I've already helped them find one!"

"So what? One down, nine to go?"

"Yes!"

"No Mina! Let Daniel handle and take care of them!" 

"They need me though! Kris said it! You know it too!"

"So you'll just go around the entire world with them?"

"Yes!" Mina yelled at Lyn. The girl was upset with her best friend pushing her for answers, but she knew that Lyn was only being realistic about things. 

"So what about our plans?" Lyn asked in a hurt voice.

"They will still happen... I think," Mina trailed off. By having that conversation with Lyn, she finally began realizing what helping the Legends would mean.

- - -

Walking home from school Mina felt a mixture of different emotions, but seeing Tao running to greet her, she only felt lucky. 

"Welcome back Mina!" Tao chirped, towering over Mina and throwing his arm around her shoulder. "School doesn't last that long does it?"

"We get half days now. There really is no point, but we still have to attend."

"School is important!" Tao replied, repeating the words Daniel had said in the morning. Escorting the girl into her house, Tao continued on, "Kris and Daniel and Chanyeol and I have come to a decision!"

"Another decision?"

"Yes. It involves you, so let me go get Daniel and Kris... they should be in the back." Tao let her go and moved to the back sliding door.

"Okay! I'm just going to put my stuff down!" Mina was excited hearing Tao's words. It sounded as though she was definitely going to be a part of their plans. At least, she really hoped so. Standing outside her room, Mina noticed a trail of water on the tiled floor. Confused, she kept her eyes on the ground as she walked into her room following the trail. Looking up, Mina's eyes were exposed to the side view of the unclothed wet body of Chanyeol, who seemed to be drying his brown locks with a towel.     

Noticing the girl at the door, the Legend's gaze met with Mina's. Seeing her eyes, he smiled. "You're back!" 

The phoenix was then greeted by Mina via piercing scream. 

- - -