Left Behind

The Leaf and the Legends

Having already signaled for the others, Mina and Kris patiently anticipated their arrival by sitting on the green grass together. Somewhere in between the small town and the wooded area, the girl's attention was focused on the distant forest. Past the trees and well over a few miles out, she knew that yet another Legend was present. Going through what she had been told about the others and what she felt personally, Mina figured the Legend to be a quiet one.

As she waited, she turned to Kris who still had a torn expression on his usually stoic face. It reminded her of their brief conversation before she sensed another Legend in the area.

She knew she had replied to him honestly at the time. Not really ever thinking about what would happen when all twelve were reunited; Mina supposed they'd all go fulfill their purpose and destroy the Red Force, while restoring their Tree of Life. And she would returned to her own life and fulfill her plans with Lyn by her side. Though the thought of them all leaving was depressing, Mina knew it was most likely what would happen. However, in the meantime she'd enjoy her strange adventure.   

Hearing the roaring engine of the monster SUV continue to approach them, Mina stood up and tapped Kris on the shoulder. "Ready to go?" 

"Will you just forget about me?" Kris asked, lightly grabbing the hand on his shoulder. 

"What are you talking about?"

Standing up and letting Mina's hand fall, Kris looked down at the ground. "When it's over. Will you just forget about me?"

Her inquisitive face shifting into a smile, Mina shook her head and softly tapped Kris on the arm again."How could I ever forget about a guy that can fly? I doubt I'll forget any of you!" 

"I forgot," Kris responded seriously. "I forgot everyone and everything."   

"Well, that's totally a different case though," Mina replied. "You crashed into the earth, and only lost your memory. I would die if something like that happened to me. So forgetting would be the least of my problems." 

Looking up to Mina, Kris wore a frustrated scowl on his face. "That is another problem," he sighed. "You're so human. Anything can cause you harm."

Upset at being reminded that she was a potential burden for the Legends, Mina yelled. "Well I'm not the only one! Lyn and Daniel are also human!"

"I don't care about them!" Kris yelled back. Taking a step closer and lowering his voice, Kris wrapped his arms around the girl and closed his eyes. "I only care about what happens to you."

"Yi F-"

Held tightly in his arms, Mina could barely hear his whispered words,"I don't care if you're someone else's other half..." 

Once again, the girl didn't know what to do. That pull in her chest, it was happening more often now.

- - -

It didn't take the others long to meet up with the pair, and not surprisingly, Lyn was once again asleep. Sleep was precious to Lyn, and it was easy for her to fall asleep during any circumstance, and in the midst of an adventure, things were no different. 

With the news that they were close once again to another Legend, the majority of the group was re-energized. Especially the three Legends  who had waited in the SUV. So excited, they began guessing which brother was in the forest. By now, Mina knew the signature of the Legend, but seeing them all guess with enthusiasm, she kept silent and smiled to herself.

"Who else could it be? Chen? Luhan?" Chanyeol asked. 

"I think it's Sehun!" Tao said, his cheerful and sweet smile planted on his face.

"Mina said they seem calm. I think it has to be Lay," Kyungsoo said, thinking out loud. "Sehun and Luhan are only calm in small bursts, Lay is usually always calm."

"It could also be our guardian Suho!" Chanyeol guessed.

"Who's right?" Kyungsoo asked, looking at Mina.

"Well, his name has come out already!" the girl replied.

"Who did we say already?" Chanyeol asked, not keeping track.

"Sehun, Chen, Luhan, Lay, and Suho," Tao answered.

"So which one Mina?" Chanyeol inquired.

Pulling out the old book from her back pack, Mina opened it up and suspensefully flipped back and forth through the pages. "A calm presence with an unbelievable power, a quiet miracle worker." Stopping to place her index finger on a page, she lifted the book for the others to see.

"I knew I was right!" Kyungsoo victoriously chimed. 

"Yixing! He's close by. Lay..." Tao uttered greatfully.  

Stopping at the beginning of the tree lined forest, Mina happily announced their arrival. "We're finally here!"

With the four Legends exiting the car, Tao's smiling eyes caught Mina's as he turned to help her out of his side. "We're really going to find them all!"

"Of course we are," the girl replied, unbuckling her own seatbelt. Her delighted face fell as a ominous feeling struck her. Seeing Tao's face she knew he felt it too. They all did.    

"Chasers," D.O. muttered, looking to Chanyeol. 

"A few of them..." the phoenix added. 

"Chasers? The Red Force?" Daniel asked, still in the driver's seat.

"Yes," Tao answered. "They are here... you sure Lay is close?"

"Yeah, he's here."

"What direction?" Tao asked.

"About, six miles... that way," she responded, pointing North.

"You mean where the Red Force is?" Daniel questioned.

"Yeah, the same area. Let's go!" Mina replied, anxious to get out of the car.

"You shouldn't come Mina," D.O. said, not making eye contact with the girl. "All three of you should stay." 

Chanyeol nodded in agreement. "I can also sense them. You all shouldn't come."

"But you need me. Right? I promise I won't be a burden!" Seeing the grave looks on their faces, Mina felt somehow betrayed. 

"Mina," Daniel interrupted. "If they can find this guy without you, then they should. Especially if it's dangerous."

"Tao?" Mina pathetically called out, looking over to the coal haired boy. "You want me to stay put too?"

The sharped eyed Legend bowed his head. "Please, we can handle it from here."

Feeling desperate, the girl turned to the one Legend that had never allowed her to be left behind. "Yi Fan?" 

Looking down at the healing cuts along Mina's arms, the dragon still felt guilty. He had blamed himself for Mina's injuries and now with danger in the distance waiting for them, he didn't want her going any closer than she had to. "Last time I couldn't help you, even when you were right beside me."

"But that was different!" the girl yelled back.

"Yes, this time we have foreknowledge of the imminent danger. To let you come with that knowledge would be foolish," Yi Fan replied. 

"Just stay here Mina. We'll be back soon!" Chanyeol added smiling slightly, trying to calm the tense atmosphere. "I promise!"  

Yawning and opening her tired eyes, Lyn unceremoniously interrupted the ongoing exchange, "We finally here?"

"Yeah..." Mina replied sullenly. "They were just about to head out."

"We all going?" Lyn asked.

"No, just them."

- - -  

"I hate all this waiting," Lyn said, now sitting beside Mina in the middle row, keeping her company. The Legends, including Kris, had set out according to Mina's directions and had been gone for only a short amount of time. Still, the newly awakened girl was already restless, waiting for their return. 

"Well, there isn't much you can do except wait," Daniel replied, sitting in the driver's seat, typing up a storm on his laptop.

"So what are you doing?" Lyn asked, sitting up from her seat and leaning forward to peer at his screen. 

"I'm planning for our next location."

"But we haven't even found the current guy we're looking for yet!" Lyn responded. 

"They will find him, and then it will bring our number to eight."

"So?"

"So, we are going to need more supplies and such. I'm making sure we stay comfortable," Daniel replied, typing away. 

"Ah... Well, good job!" Lyn praised, sitting back down. Looking to her right, she saw her friend stare out the car window. "You're being awfully quiet Mina," Lyn noted, lightly elbowing her friend. "You okay?"

"Mmmmm," Mina responded, her eyes still focused in the direction the Legends disappeared to.

"You worried?"

"No, I just wish I could be out there with them."

Lyn nodded listening to Mina. She could tell her friend hated watching the guys leave her behind and disliked the waiting as much as she did. "Wanna just chill outside and wait?"

"Stay inside," Daniel commanded, not bothering to look back at the girls. 

"Come on. Let's get some fresh air," Lyn said, ignoring Daniel. "It will probably make you feel a bit better."

"Yeah... Okay," Mina replied, moving to open her door.

"Wait," Daniel said, looking back at the two. 

"What?" Lyn answered shortly. 

Meeting the girl's fierce gaze, Daniel sighed, "Whatever, just don't go off anywhere."

"Don't worry. We'll just stay in front of the car," Mina responded, opening her door. Feeling the cool breeze against her warm face, she smiled, already feeling a bit better.  

"What was the name of this place again?" Lyn questioned, following behind Mina and exiting the vehicle. 

"Daniel said it was Baestrop. It's just another little town like ours."

"Hmmm... Do you think we'll get to travel further than this?"

"Like where?" Mina asked. 

"Out of the country? Daniel did make those passports. I'd be a shame not to be able to use them."

Mina smirked hearing Lyn's desire. "I dunno, maybe."

"I hope so," Lyn replied, looking up at the darkening sky above them. "The scenery here looks too similar to home."

"It really does."

"Oh! So this new one that you sense now. Which one is he? The scorpion?" Lyn asked.

"It's the unicorn," Mina corrected.

The tall girl laughed, of all the strange symbols, the unicorn always stood out to her as the most unusual. "The unicorn?"

"They call him 'Lay' or 'Yixing'," Mina added, frowning at Lyn's laughter.

"So it's Lay the unicorn? Or Yixing the unicorn?" Seeing Mina's less than receptive expression, Lyn laughed it off.  "I'm only joking! Sheesh! ... I wonder what he looks like... Probably also hot."

Mina's dark expression broke at Lyn's prediction. "I guess we'll just have to wait and see."

"Yeah. Oh, hey Mina, you know... when you 'sense' them, what does it feel like?" Lyn questioned curiously.

Trying to find the right words, Mina thought for a moment, scrunching her dark brows together, "I think I've said it before, but it's like I have this internal compass. And when they're around it just feels right, like I'm home. So when on my way to finding a new Legend it feels like going home... My feet just naturally know the way."

"Really?... Mina, that's kinda crazy," Lyn remarked, leaning against their vehicle.  

"Yeah, I know it is." Crossing her arms and also leaning back, Mina continued on, "I finally figured out how to describe it after finding Chanyeol."

"So finding D.O. felt...?" 

"Thilling," Mina answered. The girl then smiled, remembering her first encounter with the wide-eyed Legend. "Daniel really helped out with that one though, he lead us to the right place."

"Yeah, but you found him."

"I guess yeah, I did."

"Oh!" Lyn yelled, remembering the other question she had. "You didn't finish telling me!"

"What?"

"Energy transfer! One of them kissed you right?"

"Ahhh... right," Mina replied, rubbing the back of her neck.

"So who? It was Kris right?" Lyn predicted.

"Well, yeah...but it was also..."

"Also? Also!" Lyn yelled. "You mean two of them?"

"It's not like I was a willing participant!" Mina yelled back. "They both did it on their own!"

"Are you serious? Wait. So, that means one of them was your first kiss!"

"How would you know that?"

"Please Mina, I know you too well."

Nodding her head, Mina sighed. 

"Well, you outdid my first kiss," Lyn said, patting Mina on the head. "So the other Legend, it couldn't have been Zitao... So it was Chanyeol wasn't it?"

Perking her head up and looking over at Lyn, Mina smirked. "That's the second time you rejected the idea being Tao... Do you by chance, like him?"

Slightly smiling, Lyn replied. "I'll admit I have a soft spot for him. He's not like the others who only focus on you. He actually talks with me when you're not around and shares so much with me and..."

"And?" Mina repeated, smiling.

"And he's really, really good looking. Who wouldn't like him? You like him right?"

"Of course I like him. But you really like him huh?"

Shaking her head, Lyn looked over at her friend. "It doesn't matter though. As soon we find them all, they will leave as planned. And I'll find another boy to like when we're at Uni."

"Right... When they leave."

"So which one kissed you first?" Lyn asked, shifting the subject back to Mina.

"You're so childish!"

"So are you! Now, answer!"

About to reply, Mina froze in her place and felt her lips begin to tremble.  

One of the Chasers that the Legends had gone after had somehow gotten closer to herself and Lyn. With the sky now curtained by the nightfall, Mina couldn't physically see it; but she felt it and it was too close for comfort. 

"Move!" Mina yelled.

By the time the words echoed into the ears of Lyn, it was too late. 

- - -