Danse

The Leaf and the Legends

Though Mina had left the pillow out for Kris, she wasn't sure whether he used it or not and for that matter, she wasn't sure he'd even come. Attending the last day of school, Lyn and Mina were surprised to see Daniel in class. The majority of the last day was dedicated to going through what would happen tomorrow for graduation. It was a simple process and with the benefits of living in a small town there was less than one hundred students in the graduating class, so the day went by easily enough.

Meeting up with Daniel after class, they traveled to the boy's home.

"So you left them all unsupervised?" Lyn asked, as the trio walked. 

"They are all well adjusted already. I'm not worried too much," Daniel replied confidently. Remembering something, the boy then seemed a bit anxious. "Though Chanyeol does seems to play around quite a bit. And actually, yesterday he was so excited that D.O. was there that he started a small 'light' show that ended up burning half the garden."

"...Really?"

"Maybe we should hurry up a bit then," Mina replied.

"Yeah."

Their footsteps becoming a bit more urgent, the three quickly arrived at Daniel's home.

"Well, nothing seems to be on fire," Lyn commented optimistically.

"That's always a good thing," Mina added, following Daniel into the home. As usual, they were greeted by Tao who this time not only swung his arm around Mina but around Lyn as well. As Tao led the girls in, Daniel made his way off to another room.

"Has everything been alright?" Mina asked.

"Oh yes, we're all fine."

"Kr- I mean, Yi Fan too?"

"He's fine, he's actually become really talkative," Tao said smiling. "He's been asking me questions about our home and the others."

"Really?"

"Yeah!" Tao chipped happily. "He seems interested and not as casual as he was before; it's been nice. Even if he doesn't get his memories back, I think it'll be okay if he keeps asking questions."

"What is your home like?" Lyn questioned.

"Well, we all have two homes... Just like how most of us have two names. Our place of origin, and then the place we call home."

"So you gained your second name after you left your place of origin?" Lyn asked. 

"Yeah! But there are four exceptions though."

"Like Chanyeol," Mina said, seeing the smiling boy in the distance excitedly talking with Kyungsoo.

"Yeah."

"Oh right, you told us about that yesterday!" Lyn remarked.

Walking outside to the terrace, Mina saw the half burnt gardens that Daniel had told them about. They weren't completely burned down, but they were badly singed. Walking off on her own, Mina approached the two talking Legends and turned to Kyungsoo.

"How are you doing today?"

"How are you today?" he asked back, looking at Mina's arms. The girl had worn removable and breathable white sleeves so that the marks on her arms were kept hidden during school and had yet to remove them.

"I'm fine! I told you not to worry."

"Mina's a tough one!" Chanyeol added. 

"I'm glad to hear that," Kyungsoo said smiling. "I learned that we're heading out tomorrow. It'd be best if everyone was in good health."

"We do leave tomorrow indeed. I'm pretty sure we're all okay and ready!" Mina said, giving D.O. a thumbs up. "I'm gonna try my best to help you all."

"You know I was asking about that..." Kyungsoo began, "How exactly are you able to sense us?"

Crossing her arms, Mina's lips pursed together. "I'm not sure... and since I kept on finding you all I stopped questioning it and just went with it."

"Are you sure you're just a human?" Kyungsoo asked, examining the girl.

"She's definitely just a human," Chanyeol answered. "A strange one, but a human no less. Tao and I have discussed it."

"Oh you have?" Mina asked in a playful tone. "How can you be so sure? Maybe I am an alien just like you all! Or even a demon!"

"A demon?" Kyungsoo repeated, slightly worried.

"No way! Your energy is too positive to be anything bad! It'd be more believable if you ended up being a resplendent."

Nodding his head in agreement, Kyungsoo smiled. "That would make sense, although I don't recall resplendents being able to sense us from long range distances."

"Wait... I was only kidding. What's a resplendent?" Mina asked, looking at Chanyeol. 

"They are beings that exist back home."

"Of all the inhabitants, they were the most unique creatures to gaze upon," Kyungsoo added.

"Do... Do you think I could could actually be a resplendent?" the girl asked seriously. Looking down to Mina, Chanyeol laughed. 

"Nope! I told you. You're definitely just a human." Patting the girl on the head, Chanyeol smiled at her. "I think it's best that you're a human too. It makes you more interesting." His eyes getting wide as he patted her head, the phoenix seemed to have remembered something. "I learned an interesting human word today. I think it describes you well."

"What word?" Mina asked curiously.

"Cute?... Wait. Is that the pronunciation?" Looking to Kyungsoo, Chanyeol repeated the word. "Cute? It's cute right?"

"I- I think you need to look up the meaning of that word again," Mina said, feeling her cheeks flush. "I'm not cute. Tao! Tao is cute!"

"You think so?" Kyungsoo asked.

"Actually, I think you all are cute... with maybe Kris as an exception," she replied, keeping her eyes down.

"Well, I think you're cute," Chanyeol said grinning.

"Did you just use 'Kris' to refer to me?" a familiar low voiced questioned.   

"Ayo!"

"You promised to call me Yi Fan," Kris said, ignoring Chanyeol's greeting.

Mina smiled seeing Kris's usual annoyed look, at the very least he was showing some emotion.   

"You listening to me?" Kris asked, waving his hand in front of her face.

"Yeah, yeah Yi Fan," she replied, moving Kris's hand away. 

"Do you think Mina's just a human?" Kyungsoo asked Kris suddenly. "I feel it doesn't make sense. Being able to both sense us and transfer energy to us."

"I don't know what she is," Kris replied seriously. 

"You two are over thinking things!" Chanyeol said lightly.

"Yeah... I'm pretty sure I've been a human all my life," Mina commented, smiling.

"Exactly, plus Mina is Mina. That's all that is important. It doesn't matter what you are, I'm just glad you're helping us," Chanyeol added.

"I'm glad too, I'm just intrigued by her non-human abilities," Kyungsoo replied quietly. "It makes me wonder if there are others that are similar to her on this planet."

"There actually was one other person," Daniel intercepted, walking up from behind the growing group. "Did you bring my book back?" He asked, looking at Mina.

"Of course! It's in my bag." Taking her backpack off, Mina swung it forward, reached in and pulled out the worn book.

Seeing the broken hexagon on the front, Kyungsoo's natural large eyes seemed to widen. "That's our emblem."

"I thought so," Daniel said excitedly. "The person who wrote this, was the same as Mina... But you've never been to this planet before have you?"

"Never," Kyungsoo answered.

"So what's important about that thing?" Kris asked, eyes zoned in on the book.  

"Danse was his name, at least that's the name this was written under. I looked into it further after seeing Mina's ability in action yesterday, and found that this particular person wrote a few other books as well."

"What are the other books about?" Mina asked, fully engrossed in the conversation.   

"All fiction. Mainly fantasy and science fiction. They are all very, very different from his last one though." Holding the book, he shook it. "According to the dates, this one is the last book. It's the original copy as well."

"He was a fantasy novelist?" Lyn questioned, walking alongside Tao, as they too joined the group.

"Yes, however this book was never mass published."

"May I see it?" Tao asked, reaching his hand out to Daniel. 

Giving him the book, Daniel kept talking. "The three of us read through it right?"

"Yeah," Mina answered nodding.

"It's a perfect work of fiction isn't it?"

"If I hadn't known what I did at the time, I would have thought it to just be a sci-fi novel," Lyn commented, recalling her brief read through the book. 

"You all read the foreword too right?" Daniel asked. Seeing that Mina and Lyn seemed to be drawing blanks, Daniel shook his head. "Tao, could you flip to the beginning and read the second page please?" Doing as he was told, Tao flipped back to the front and opened it up to the indicated page. 

"The following is a work of nonfiction. I have written and rewritten this foreword multiple times, trying to find the correct way in which to explain all that I have managed to chronicle in this, my final book. However, I've found my editor to be less than willing to accept this work for what it is; nonfiction. I have spent much time translating everything given to me, but I fear that it will not be spread to those that need to read it. In a final attempt, I rewrite this foreword once more..."

Stopping, Tao looked up from the book.

"There's more," Daniel said looking at Tao. "But that's enough for now."

"So, he meant it to be nonfiction, so it was rejected and not published," Mina said understanding.

"Exactly. It's my theory that Danse was so determined for the book to be categorized as 'nonfiction' that he refused to release it otherwise."

"That's dumb. He should have just released it as fiction," Lyn commented bluntly. "I mean, if it was important for others to read it, he could have just allowed it to be called 'fiction' and have it published."

"I understand him," Mina said quietly. "It's a maddening experience to know something is truth and not have others accept it."    

"It makes sense that you understand him," Daniel responded. "Just like how you were obsessing over the symbols, he was the same but he also wrote their story. Of course we know there is no ending written, however, he's the only other person we know to have experienced the same things as you."    

"So what happened to him?" Kris questioned.

"No idea," Daniel answered. "The record on him ends after his last published piece. That book is the last thing I have on him."

"Well, that's not unsettling," Lyn said sarcastically.

"The story's a little bit darker upon closer evaluation... Isn't it?" Mina added, nervously laughing.

"It is kind of troubling," Kyungsoo remarked.

"Don't worry," Chanyeol said smiling. "Remember, you're Mina. Not that 'Danse' guy." 

"You're right!" Mina replied. "Plus, I actually got to meet you guys and I get to help. Danse probably wished to do the same, but since he couldn't find you all, he wrote about you. I'm lucky."

"I suggest you go over the book more closely Mina," Daniel asserted. "Who knows? It might help."

"Will do!" Mina agreed cheerfully.  

"I'd like to read through this some more too," Tao stated, flipping through the pages.

Looking over her shoulder, Mina saw the page he had opened it up to. Seeing the triangle, she was reminded of her intentions. "Kai... Kai! I saw him the other day!"

Catching everyone's attention, excluding Kris's, Mina finally began retelling her brief encounter with the elusive Legend. 

- - -

"Jongin... He was hurt?" Kyungsoo worriedly uttered. 

"Yeah, I'm sure he's okay now. He seemed to be in control of his powers," Mina said, trying to find the silver lining in the experience.

"It's here?" Chanyeol said, repeating Mina's words.

"He was probably talking about the Red Force. This is bad," Tao replied, a certain dread filling his words. "It must have attacked him." 

"The chasers right?" Daniel asked intrigued. "They are made from darkness created by the Red Force."

"Yes, they embody darkness itself and covet the heart of the Tree." 

"They are the reason we all ended up here," D.O. said, still troubled over Kai.

Ever the optimist, Chanyeol attempted to raise Kyungsoo's spirits. "Well, we'll just have to work even faster than ever. We'll find him."

Nodding and smiling, Tao shared the same sentiments. "We'll find everyone D.O., soon too."

"We take off tomorrow!" Daniel declared. "As long as everyone is ready."

"We are," Lyn replied, smiling confidently and crossing her arms.

"Definitely," Mina also answered. "All that's left now is graduation tomorrow." 

- - -


A/N: I had lots of fun creating Danse. He's an important figure in the story, with a close connection to Mina. Most of you picked up on his name translating to dance, very nice. His name comes from "Danse Macabre". There is some research I did and came across lots of interesting things~ Well, I hope you enjoyed and thanks for replying to my last question! Y'all are the Best! <3 (And to those that upvoted this story...  y'all are too kind. ;~; <3 )