Curiosity

The Leaf and the Legends

Walking away from the school with his brothers in toe, Kyungsoo's mind was cluttered with an abundance of new questions. From upon first meeting Mina, he found himself constantly questioning her unusual existence. Forgetting the blow he had taken to the back, D.O.'s mind was completely focused upon figuring out why she was unaffected by Tao's powers.

Of all the Legends, Kyungsoo was undoubtedly the most curious. He'd be the first to question something out of place and was known to wander about on his own. He enjoyed learning about new things and had a knack for simplifying the complex. Chanyeol knew this side of D.O. well, and always did his best to answer the earthshaker's questions whenever he could, but as he listened to Kyungsoo's new inquiries, he had no specific answer to give. Nor did the other two Legends.

"Just what is she that your powers have no effect on her?" D.O. questioned to Tao.

"I'm starting wonder again myself," Tao replied, walking lightly. 

"Maybe it was a fluke?" Chanyeol answered.

"But even the last time I used my powers, she was somehow aware of it," Tao rebutted. 

"I'm more concerned about the Chasers," Kris said, shifting the topic. 

"They are getting stronger," Tao commented. "Compared to the one I first destroyed here, they're stronger."

"There was a lot of them too," Kyungsoo added. "Kai was warning us about them." 

"I saw that one managed to strike you. Are you alright?" Tao questioned, looking at D.O.'s back. 

"I'm fine," Kyungsoo reassured. "It barely got me. Nothing to worry about." 

"Good," Tao said relieved. "We really need to leave soon and find the others before the Red Force gains any more momentum."

"It's good that we leave tomorrow then right?" Chanyeol questioned optimistically.

All of them nodding, the Legends continued on their way.  

Walking back to their temporary home, Kyungsoo remained curious about Mina. So curious, that even after the night had fallen, he continued to conduct his own type of research. It couldn't be helped, a curious mind was a restless mind, and soon it was morning. 

- - -

It felt as if she had been waiting her whole life to leave the home she had grown up in, and now that the moment was upon her, Mina was slightly despondent. The feeling only lasted a few moments until her parents embraced her lovingly. They believed her to be going off to a college program; if they knew the truth would they be so supportive? It was a thought that disheartened her, but watching as they sweetly waved her goodbye standing side by side, Mina smiled and waved back as she entered the car Daniel had sent out to pick her up with her luggage. 

Mina didn't pack too much, she had never been on a car trip or vacation before so she was not really sure how to pack, but she brought the essentials that took up one large bag and one smaller backpack. She was glad Daniel had gotten involved with the entire situation. With the way he was, she knew most things would be taken care of, and with the Legends, she also knew she'd be safe. Traveling towards Daniel's, she felt reassured in her decision. 

 - - -

"Have you been reading up?" Daniel asked, meeting Mina as she walked into the terrace after putting her luggage down at the front entrance.

"Of course I have!" she lied smiling.

"Oh really?"

"Well..."

"You left the book here." Holding the book up in front of her, Daniel sighed and scowled.

"Right... Sorry."

Shaking his head, Daniel handed the book to Mina. "We are leaving soon. Try and read up!"

"I will, I will. Is Lyn here yet?"

"I sent for her just a while ago, she told me to wait as long as I could. Apparently she wasn't as ready as she said she was."

"She can be like that at times, but don't worry. I know Lyn being with us is best."

"I hope so," Daniel muttered, walking inside his house, leaving Mina outside.

Looking around, Mina spotted Chanyeol and Kyungsoo talking in the same spot she always saw Chanyeol in. Seeing that they noticed her, she waved and smiled at them. Walking closer to join them, she watched as only D.O. moved to meet up with her.   

"May I talk with you right now?" Kyungsoo asked timidly, still approaching the girl.

Though the two hadn't had too many verbal exchanges or moments alone, she found herself already comfortable in his company and easily agreed. "Of course!"

"Great! It's something I've been thinking about and I think I have a possible and reasonable theory."

Blinking her eyes, Mina was lost. "About what?" 

"Oh right! Well, I think I know why you're able to sense us and why you aren't affected by our powers."

"You do?" Knowing that the Legend was speaking to her seriously, Mina's attention became completely focused on his words. 

"I think so." Nodding his head, Kyungsoo seemed to be thinking about it once more. "Yes, I think so... it's possible."

"What is?"

"I think you're connected to us. Specifically us elementals."

"Elementals?" Mina repeated wide-eyed.  

"There are four of us out of the twelve and all four of us belong to one half of the heart."

"Wait, you mean the heart of the tree?"

"Yes. Tao told you our story right?"

"He did, and I think I know what you're saying. So you and Chanyeol are elementals?" Mina asked, following Kyungsoo's explanation. 

"Yes... So you know about us then?"

"Ah... No. I was just assuming you meant the ones that controlled the four elements. We have four central elements here; earth, air, fire and water, so I was just guessing they were the same. Was I right?"

"Yes," Kyungsoo replied smiling. "Earth, air, fire and water; the four of us that control these are elementals. Before we began our second life as brothers, we all came from the same place of origin." Pausing a moment, Kyungsoo made sure Mina was still following him. 

Seeing his concerned eyes, Mina smiled. "Don't worry, I'm not lost yet."

"Okay," D.O. said with a reassured grin. "Well, I think you may share our roots."

"Roots?"

"In the vast space of the universe it's possible for alternate versions of certain things to exist. So the alternate of our origin may be connected to your own. So our roots could be the same, but opposite," D.O. explained with a bright smile. 

"Ah ha..."

"You know what I'm saying?" the Legend asked, enthused by Mina's positive response.

"Well, I think... um... I'm lost," Mina admitted with a sigh.

"Oh... Let's see. Hmmm." Rubbing his chin with his hand, Kyungsoo tried to find a simple way to explain what he meant. 

Apologetic that she wasn't able to follow what he said, Mina hung her head low. "Sorry, it sounded like it made sense, but I don't understand it." 

"How about this?" D.O. chimed, figuring out another way to explain himself.  "I think we were supposed to meet because you maybe the other half to one of us elementals," Kyungsoo explained.

"Other half?"

"Yes, and I only think this because this earth reminds me of our own place of origin. Where Chanyeol, myself and the other two originated."    

"The elemental's place of origin," Mina replied, understanding.

"Right!"

"So my world could be the alternate to your original world?"

"Exactly! I think it makes sense to a certain degree," Kyungsoo answered smiling. 

"I do remember Chanyeol saying this place reminded him of home," Mina added.

"It does. Especially at night,"  Kyungsoo commented. 

"Hmm. So, what is an other half?" Mina asked, moving her attention over to Chanyeol in the distance before looking back at D.O. Not getting an immediate reply, Mina saw that Kyungsoo seemed at a loss for words. Not only that, but he also seemed a bit flustered. Never before seeing a Legend showcase a nervous side, Mina immediately found D.O.'s flustered expression cute.  

"Our other half..." Kyungsoo finally managed to say, "Completes us."  

"Ah... I think I understand," Mina replied, also feeling a bit more flustered than before. 

"I do have another theory though!" D.O. revealed, trying to change the sudden awkward atmosphere. "It doesn't make as much initial sense, but it'd explain your strengthening abilities.   

"What is it?" Mina inquired, intrigued that Kyungsoo had been as curious as she was to know why she was able to do the things she did. 

"The energy transferring. From what I've been told, you've been sharing energy amongst us right?"

"Yeah?"

"I was thinking that when you receive energy, you absorb more than energy, like our powers. That'd explain why you aren't affected when Tao stopped time at the graduation."

Amazed by D.O.'s rationale, Mina smiled at him in admiration. "That's incredible! It kinda makes sense!"

"It does, doesn't it?" Kyungsoo responded grinning. "And I think that if you keep receiving energy from us you could potentially become more like us!"

"Really?"

"I'm sure it's possible."

"Wow... Well, I think I'll just stay on the giving end," Mina laughed nervously.

"You don't like the receiving part?" Kyungsoo asked curiously.

"Ah... Well it's a bit unusual to me. I don't think I can get used to something like it. Wait... How do you know I've received energy before?"

"Chanyeol told me yesterday about how he woke you and then Kris told me when I asked him about the night you saw Jongin together." 

"Kri- Yi Fan told you?" Mina stuttered. The girl kind of expected Chanyeol to tell him about the first time, but hearing that Kris had also shared what happened between them, she was surprised. Since when was Kris so chatty and forthcoming with detail?  

"He did," Kyungsoo replied, giving her a lipped grin. "He said afterwards, you were able to pinpoint Jongin's location." 

Hanging her head down and hiding her face, Mina could only muster a small 'yeah' in reply.

- - -

Finally arriving at Daniel's home and putting her own stuff down beside Mina's, Lyn made her way to the back and watched as Kyungsoo walked over to Chanyeol in the distance. Seeing her friend standing alone, Lyn walked up beside the girl and greeted her friend.  

"Hey! Sorry I came a little late. I know you wanted to leave together, but I forgot some things and had a last minute issue and..." Stopping her small spiel about why she arrived late, Lyn realized that Mina wasn't paying attention. The shorter girl had a slightly distraught look on her face and was apparently lost in her own thoughts. "Hey you..." Lyn said, dragging out the last word, and poking Mina's arm. 

Mina's mind preoccupied by the conversation she shared with Kyungsoo, she didn't take notice of her friend's attempts to get her attention. This lack of recognition prompted Lyn to poke harder and elevate the sound of her voice.

"Hey!"

"What?" Mina yelled back, swatting Lyn's piecing finger away from her arm. 

Frowning, Lyn turned Mina to face her and slammed her hands down on the shorter girl's shoulders. Squinting her dark eyes at Mina and raising an eyebrow, she then lifted her right index finger and lightly tapped Mina on the nose.

"You've been acting weird lately."

"Aren't I always weird?" Mina answered, brushing Lyn words off.

"Yeah... but you're keeping something from me. Aren't you?"

"Keeping something from you? ..." The expression on her face transforming from blank to flustered, Mina avoided eye contact as the conversation she just shared with Kyungsoo made her recalling all the things she had specifically left out when retelling certain events to her best friend. Events that concerned energy transfer. In the grand scope of things, the information she omitted was nothing more than small details, but personally, they were anything but minor. And sharing that information with others, was not something she wanted to do.

"I knew it!" Lyn exclaimed, seeing her friend look away from her. "You're keeping something from me!"

"No way! You know I'm bad at keeping things from you," Mina replied, trying to wriggle out from her friend's tightening grasp.  

"Yeah you are, so tell me now so you don't have to keep trying."

"It's nothing!"

"Liar! Your face is getting redder by the minute." Tightening her hold on Mina, Lyn grabbed the girl's flushed face in her hands and made her friend look her directly in the eye. "Tell me."

"Let go first," Mina said, her face uncomfortably scrunched up in the palms of Lyn's hands.  

"Fine." Removing her hands away from Mina's face, Lyn crossed her arms. "Spill it, what haven't you been telling me?"

"It's stupid," Mina mumbled, looking down. 

"I don't care... Tell me."

Sighing, Mina bit her bottom lip and slapped her reddened cheeks, attempting to calm herself. "Okay... So you know how I'm able to transfer energy to Kris and the others?"

"You mean the green spark?"

"Yeah. Well, they can also transfer energy too."

"Really?" Lyn replied in a surprised tone. "How?"

Thinking about it again, Mina couldn't stop the overwhelming feeling of embarrassment from spreading through her body, causing her to cover her face and annoyingly ruffle her own hair.

"Jeez Mina, stop with the dramatics. Just tell me."

"I can't. It's too... embarrassing." 

"Tell."

"Nnnnhhhhh..." Mina replied, covering her face.

Seeing that her friend wasn't physically able to tell her, Lyn sighed. "So they transfer energy in an embarrassing way?"

"Mm," Mina replied nodding.  

"Just say it!"

"Fine! Li... With... lip... ugh!" 

"Lip? Lips? LIPS?" Lyn repeated loudly. "Like lip to lip? I mean like, mouth to mouth?"

Nodding, Mina felt Lyn's hands grab her arms excitedly.

"Seriously! Who? You have to tell me! Kris? Chanyeol? Was it Chanyeol? No way it was Zitao right?"  

"Is Mina okay?" A deep voice asked.

Knowing that voice belonged to Kris, Mina scowled. Perfect. Just perfect. Mr. Chatty himself. "I'm okay," Mina mumbled in reply.

"Kris? Was it Kris?" Lyn questioned again, seeing Mina hide her face more.

"Hi Lyn!" Tao chirped, spotting the tall girl beside Kris.  

"Zitao!" Lyn greeted back, letting go of Mina's arms. 

"Was what Kris?" Yi Fan asked, tilting his head at Lyn.

"Oh nothing," Lyn answered in a light voice. 

"Are you ready to head out?" Tao asked.  

"Of course we are!" Turning back and leaning in so that only her friend could hear her, Lyn whispered to Mina. "We are going to finish this conversation later. Next time, I want details." Moving back towards Tao, Lyn began talking with the cat eyed Legend, leaving Mina and Kris alone. 

"Great," Mina sarcastically sighed in her own hushed voice. Looking up from behind her disheveled hair, she saw the confused face of Kris. 

"Are you sure you're okay?" The dragon asked thoughtfully, moving Mina's hair away from her face. 

Her eyes falling down to his full lips, Mina gave him a surprise jab in the arm and straightened her posture. "Yeah, I'm okay."

"What was that for?" Kris asked, grabbing his arm defensively. 

"You know what it's for," Mina replied, feeling better.

"No, I don't."

"Well, it doesn't matter. We're even now."

"That's not even."

"You're right!" Mina replied, moving to jab him again.

Catching Mina's fist in his palm, Kris stopped her attack. "Why didn't leave the pillow out for me last night?" he asked suddenly.

Dropping her fist, the girl was surprised by what she heard. "But I thought you stopped coming."

"Did I say I'd stop coming?" Kris questioned seriously.

"No... so... did you really use it when I left it out for you?"

"Of course I did," Kris replied honestly.

"It never got dirty though."

"Was it supposed to?"

"You used it on the roof right?" Mina questioned.

"Yes."

"The roof is dirty."

"But I never put it on the roof," Kris responded. 

"How did you use it then?" Mina asked confused.

"Don't you just hold it?" 

"Hold... it?" Mina repeated slowly. Suddenly, an image of Kris laying on the roof hugging her pillow, crossed her mind. The unusual visual caused a smile to form on her face and soon she began chuckling. "You were holding it?"

"Yes."

His honest answer and confused face only made Mina giggle harder. 

"Was that wrong?" he asked, watching Mina wipe the corners of her eyes.

"Yeah... That's, that's not how you use a pillow." Patting Kris's arm, Mina's laughter died down hearing Daniel's commanding voice emerge from inside the house.

"Hey! It's going to be 11:00 soon! Let's start loading up!" Daniel yelled.

Excitedly running past Kris, Chanyeol grinned brightly and grabbed Mina's arm. "Let's go!"

- - - 

With the afternoon sun reaching it's highest point and all the supplies and luggage packed, the group was finally all prepared and ready to go. Seating arrangements were changed around slightly, but Daniel still drove and Lyn still retained her shotgun seat as the front passenger. 

"So where is our first stop?" Lyn asked, entering the monster SUV.

"Not too far from here... a small town about four hours away," Daniel answered, imputing the general location in the GPS.

"Are we only driving around?"

"Of course."

"Isn't that going to be time consuming?" Lyn inquired, slightly displeased.

"Let's view it as an extended road trip!" Mina interjected positively, sitting beside Kris. 

"Okay," Lyn began. "So it's an extended road trip with a super rich kid, a couple of aliens, green spark girl, and myself?" 

"More or less," Mina replied casually.

"Alrighty then."

"Seatbelts on?" Daniel asked out loud, turning the vehicle on.

Looking around checking to make sure all the Legends were buckled in, Mina looked back at Daniel and gave him a thumbs up. "Ready to go!"  

"Let's go! Let's go!" Tao happily sung.

With the shift in gear to go, the monster SUV began moving. It was finally time.

- - -