Ordinarily Strange

The Leaf and the Legends

In a particular place at a particular time, a classroom of students listened attentively to their teacher's final lesson. Their young eyes looked up and down from the chalkboard to their notebooks at a constant pace while their hands moved quickly capturing every other phrase, following their teachers words closely. Among them sat one student in particular that did not look up from their notebook. Brown eyes covered by dark brown curly hair, the student furiously scribbled on the worn notebook in front of them.

Noticing the student's indifference to their words, the teacher continued to deliver their lesson as they walked closer towards the student. Seeing the teacher approach them, another student quickly kicked the distracted person next to them and whispered under their breath.

"Teacher's coming!"

Upon hearing the warning, the student quickly flipped forward a page in the notebook and hurriedly began to copy the words written on the board that was previously neglected. Shooting a small smile at the teacher, the student received a sigh and a light head shake in return. As the teacher turned back around to walk to the front of the classroom, the student flipped back to the earlier page and continued to scribble away.

- - - 

Inside the same classroom, the students that had attentively followed their teacher well and the one that did not, were now cleaning up. In the relaxed atmosphere, a tall girl with straight short ebony black hair and deep brown eyes slammed her thin hand onto the back of another student.

"Are you still scribbling that nonsense?"

"I can't help it Lyn!" The curly haired student replied, looking up at her friend and dropping her pen. Stretching out, the girl sighed and looked at her notebook.

"Seriously Mina, you've been at it almost as if you were possessed." The short haired girl reached for the now abandoned notebook on the desk. "So which one did you obsess over during class this time?"

"The bigger bird thing," Mina sighed, throwing her head back to look at the white ceiling. 

Looking at the notebook paper, Lyn saw an unusual collection of sketches decorating the page. Just as her friend informed her, today Mina had obsessively drawn the "bigger bird thing". The drawing consisted of a diamond shaped body with a long neck connecting to a downward pointing head. On both sides of the body were 3 jagged lines that took on the appearance of wings.

"Have you tried researching them online?"

"I have... but most of the things are all easily recognizable. A unicorn, the birds, a scorpion, the snowflake, the sun and an hourglass. Those are the obvious ones. The others... not so much," Mina paused for a moment. "Especially this one!" Sitting back up in her chair and grabbing the pen on the desk, Mina met the tip of the pen with the notebook paper and haphazardly drew. Finishing her quick drawing, she put the pen down and picked up the notebook, presenting her drawing to Lyn. "This one is completely confusing to me."

Looking at the rushed sketch, Lyn saw the now slightly familiar drawing. Created using a collection of short lines and 7 circles, the image was one of the more abstract symbols that her friend felt compelled to draw.  

"We have considered the possibility that you're actually just going crazy right?" Lyn asked, her eyes darting over to those of her friend.

"Multiple times."

"Hey! What are you two doing?" A loud voice questioned.  The girls looked toward the voice in unison. Before them stood a tall boy with sharp dark eyes and light brown hair.  

"What do you want Daniel?" Lyn asked, glaring at the approaching boy.  

"You two should be cleaning, not chatting. Don't you want to go home already?"

"Eh." Lyn replied, shrugging her shoulders so that the tips of her short hair lightly grazed the top of her uniform. 

"Well I do. So stop messing around and help us out." Just as the boy turned to walk away from the girls, his brown eyes caught a small glimpse of the notebook on Mina's desk. "What's that?" he asked, looking at Mina.

"None of your business," The short hair girl intercepted.

Disregarding her curt response to his question, Daniel walked closer and quickly snatched up the notebook before either one could stop him. "Is this what you were doing while not paying attention in class earlier today?" 

"Yeah," Mina replied honestly. "But, come on, it's not like we all need to be paying attention. Finals were last week."  

Ignoring Mina's reasoning, Daniel's eyes scanned the page, taking in the same  repeatedly drawn image. Curious, he flipped the page over and found even more various symbols scribbled on the lined paper. 

"What are these?" he asked. 

"I'm not sure," Mina replied. 

"Don't answer him Mina! It's none of his business. Just give it back." Lyn commanded, holding her hand out to receive the notebook. 

"But I don't care if he knows, there's nothing super special or secret about them anyway."

"Yeah, but still... He might blab to others about how strange it is that you've become obsessed with drawing all these things."

"Everyone already thinks I'm kinda strange though," Mina replied, showing no concern. She wasn't particularly stranger than anyone else,  she just  had a tendency to be a bit more expressive than others around her, rendering her to be a bit on the 'eccentric' side.

"Well that's true but still..."

"I won't say anything about this," Daniel interrupted.

"You won't?" Lyn questioned, raising one eyebrow in suspicion.

"Why would I? Like Mina said, everyone already thinks you two are strange."

Lyn scoffed and snatched the notebook out of the boy's hands. Turning around, the boy left the pair by themselves again.

"He's such a busy body, putting his nose in other people's business," Lyn stuck her tongue out at his back and then turned back to her friend. "So what are you doing this weekend?"

"Aren't we checking the post to find out if we got into Uni this weekend?" Mina replied, taking back her notebook from Lyn. 

"Already?"

"Yeah, school's almost over as well."

"That's right... it's almost time to leave this small place and really start living."

Mina smiled brightly and affirmatively nodded her head. Having good class rankings and pulling all-nighters to study for their college entrance examinations both girls knew that they'd get into their University of choice located right in the center of the city. There, they'd begin to fulfill their ambitions of living a completely different life. The thought of it made both of them ecstatic.

"Oh! I just remembered!" Lyn exclaimed "I bought the special glasses you're supposed to wear so that we can look at it directly!"

"To look at what?" Mina asked, looking down at her notebook. 

"The eclipse tomorrow!"

"An eclipse? Tomorrow?" Mina scratched her head. That information seemed like something she should have already known.

"Yes, tomorrow! After school!" Looking down to her friend, Lyn saw that Mina was once again drawing the same 'bigger bird thing'. "Seriously?... Mina, stop it."

Biting her lip, Mina sighed and finally closed her notebook. "There, better?"

"Better... So are you going to come over tomorrow then?"

Nodding, she smiled. "I'll be there."

"Great!" 

- - -


A/N: Big thanks to my first 10 subs <3 Mandyd, sarangHUN, bunnyxwarrior, iamkool11223, arizuka, lala_Tinaa, MiniMeei, Romania, azncutiexbabyx & Muneodari! I hope you enjoy the story! Thank for subbing, reading and commenting! <3