Chapter 24 - EXO-K Live on Music Bank

Behind the Scenes

[A/N]: Sorry for bad quality picture... I just took a random screenshot ><

Luhan POV

 


As soon as we boarded the van after the interview, I texted Sehun.

Done! Whew. Were you watching? keke”

Two seconds after I locked my phone and turned the screen off, it lit up again, showing that I was getting a call from none other than Sehun.

I smiled, picking up.

“Hello~?”

“HYUNG~!” Sehun’s cheery voice made me chuckle.

“You didn’t answer my question,” I pointed out.

“Wha...? OH. Yeah, we were watching the interview!” he replied.

“‘We’?” I asked. “As in...all of EXO-K??”

“Of course!” Sehun said, as if it were the most obvious thing in the world.

“WHAT?! Since when did you guys start watching our interviews together live??” I demanded, feeling embarrassed.

Sehun laughed. “Just today, actually.” I breathed a sigh of relief.

“...But we’re going to do it for every interview from now on,” he added mischievously.

“EH?” My eyes popped open.

“Hahaha, come on, hyung, you guys watch our live performances! And it’s not like the interviews are super personal and embarrassing or anything. It’s cute. ...Especially you, Marilyn MENGroe,” he emphasized. I could hear the smirk in his voice.

“WHY, SEHUN, YOU LITTLE-”

Sehun whined. “Don’t yell at me, hyung... It’s my birthday...”

I softened at his voice. “Argh, fine...” I was actually surprised at my outburst. I don’t usually yell... Maybe I was just tired.

“Yay!” His voice brightened. “Thank you, Lu-honey~~”

I face-palmed. I swear, if any of them reveals THAT nickname ANYWHERE, they are going to get it...

 

“And speaking of my birthday... Thanks for the birthday wish,” Sehun said shyly. I smiled.

“No problem, little maknae,” I responded affectionately.


“I’m not little anymore!” he replied defiantly.

I laughed. “No matter how old you are, you’ll still be little maknae in my mind.” I said back, grinning. He huffed, and I chuckled.


Then suddenly, he said, “Ah, I have to go, hyung!” I could hear the pout in his voice. “We have to practice some more! There’s another performance today, and an even bigger one tomorrow...” I nodded in understanding. “Bye~”

“Bye, Sehun, and don’t forget to drink a lot of water and get some rest afterwards!” I reminded in a motherly tone.

“Yeah, yeah,” he said briskly. “Hanging up now~”

I sighed. I hope he takes my advice.


⁓⁓⁓


The next day, EXO-K was scheduled to perform on Music Bank. And everyone knows what that means... Singing live. No lipsyncing. My stomach was clenched in worry for them.

I mean, they’re all amazing, but it’s hard for all of us to sing powerfully while dancing those crazy complicated dance routines. For practices, EXO-K would do “MAMA” and then have to take a while to rest afterwards, chugging down bottles of water and wiping their pouring sweat as they struggled to regain normal breathing and lower their heart rates. It’s not easy, trust me. EXO-M didn’t have to do as rigorous training as EXO-K because SM knew that there wouldn’t be many stages for us to perform on while singing live, so we weren’t pushed as hard, but during the times we did, I just about died.

It’s not like I’m out of shape either. It just takes a lot of energy and cardiovascular fitness...

I hoped they would do well. It wasn’t helping that they were probably nervous out of their minds, since it was their first time doing this sort of thing (outside the practice room, that is). Even inside the practice room, it was a struggle. My heart went out to them.

I actually woke up before Yixing blew car alarm sounds on my ear from his cell phone this morning. (Yes, he literally went out of his way to download car alarm sounds so he could blast them in my ear every morning from a safe distance away. I think kicking him out of my bed was really traumatizing... But so is waking up to screeching horns.)

Anyway, I had woken up beforehand and hadn’t know why. After automatically reaching for my phone, I had seen a text from Sehun and opened it.

Hyung, we’re performing at Music Bank today. We’re all really tense and not speaking much because we’re so worried. Wish us luck! Then we’ll do well~ P.S. I’ll call you afterwards.”

Although his message had seemed somewhat cheerful and lighthearted, I could tell he was as anxious as anyone. He had it a little better because he didn’t have to sing much, but he had a lot of dancing. I sighed, worrying for him.

And now, it was only a few minutes before they would go on stage. The members of EXO-M were sitting on couches around the television, eyes glued on the Music Bank broadcast. The hosts announced EXO-K’s performance, and then the shot turned to them. We all held our breaths in anticipation.


“History” was first. The first thing I noticed was that they were carrying hand mics.

WTF?? NO. DON’T GIVE THEM HAND MICS THE FIRST TIME THEY PERFORM!!! THAT WILL ONLY MAKE IT HARDER!! I fretted, freaking out.

Listen.” Jongin’s voice sounded from the speakers. Not bad... But then the shot closed up on him as he sang the next line in a voice that was higher than usual due to tension, and I saw his face was tense too. Don’t be nervous. You can do it, Jongin.

Baekhyun came up next. His live singing was very good, because he was probably the most comfortable on stage out of all of us. Chanyeol too, probably. Jongin was good at hiding his nervousness. But Kyungsoo...

At my thought of him, his line came up. His voice was starting to sound slightly pitchy already. No, Kyungsoo, you can do this!!! Don’t be afraid! I knew it had to be the nerves because there was no way he could be tired already. He had better stamina than that.

The choruses, being so high in pitch, were cracking as they danced and sang their hearts out. I turned my eyes from the screen. EXO-K can do better than this. I know they can.

...I’m blaming their crazy difficult dance routine. SM, WHY DO YOU DO THIS TO US?? Songs with super high notes and then super hard dances. Not a good combination!! I thought in frustration.

As the camera showed Joonmyun, I saw that the leader had an awkward smile on his face. His signature look of nervousness. My heart constricted even further at the thought of their uneasiness. Let it be over soon so they can relax...

However, I had to admit that they were handling it very well. Their faces gave no sign to reveal  any feelings about how they sounded, and their dancing was still as crisp and in-sync as ever. Very professional. I beamed at them like a proud parent.

The second chorus was much more stable, and it seemed like they were calming down and getting warmed up.

I let out a small sigh of relief as they turned around, signaling the end of “History.” But I only gulped more air back in as I saw the camera shot change to “MAMA.” This will be even harder.

The first lines came on, and then it was all eyes on Kyungsoo.

He looked fierce. He was hitting the notes perfectly until... AHHHHH. THE HIGH NOTE.

He...missed it????

After my initial shock, I shook my head in disbelief. He ALWAYS gets that note. No matter what! It was completely reliable! He practiced so hard to get it consistent... My throat tightened, feeling for him.

Then I replayed the incident in my mind. It was distinctly off...but was it flat? Somehow, I didn’t think so. I furrowed my eyebrows together, trying to remember the exact note he sang. Then it hit me and I nearly burst out laughing.

It wasn’t that he didn’t sing high enough... It was that he sang TOO HIGH! He overshot the note!! I was so relieved. It’s not like he’s incapable of hitting such a high note, it was simply that he was too nervous and possibly lost concentration for a second, and didn’t aim for it perfectly and missed slightly, so it was sharp. I felt a smile creep onto my face as I let out the air I had been holding.

They can all do this. It’s not lack of skill that is hindering them- it’s just nervousness. Which is totally understandable and expected of a rookie group.

Baekhyun and Joonmyun confirmed my speculation as they sang their lines, practically flawless. The choruses were strong too. My heart swelled. Yes, get comfortable. You’ve been working so hard for this. You deserve a good performance. It’s for your fans.

My smile got bigger and bigger as it went on. At Baekhyun’s high note, I realized my mouth opened a little in surprise. Not that I doubted his ability, but that it was perfectly in tune, despite the fact that they had been dancing for about three minutes straight now, and he already had sung so many lines. I really respect your vocals, Baekhyun.

Then, the dance break. I anticipated Sehun’s first solo line of the song...

“Turn back.” I listened closely to see if there was any exhaustion in his voice, but the two words showed nothing. I could only hope that meant he was holding up well, but I guess two words isn’t an accurate representation.

Suddenly, Jongin’s screamo part was blasting in my ears.

Whoa. I stared at the screen, wide-eyed. How can he manage to scream like that, so powerfully, when he’s so tired? I really respect that, too...

Between his screaming parts, I listened for Sehun’s short line. It sounded alright. My heart loosened a little at the thought that he wasn’t too worn out.

When that part ended, there was more perfect Joonmyun and Baekhyun, and then the song drew to a close.

As the camera zoomed out and lingered on them, I saw their shoulders heaving up and down. I especially noticed Jongin. They’re all panting for air. They must be so tired right now. Please, rest. Even if you’re idols now, you’re still human.

 

---

 

Sorry for not updating yesterday... T_T Here's a long(ish) Luhan chapter!

I hope it doesn't sound like I'm bashing on EXO-K for their live performance or anything,

because I thought they did reaaaally well for a rookie group, especially with the dancing and the singing.... .__. 

I added critiques in this, but hopefully they weren't offensive >< 

Anyway... I have a major test tomorrow, yet I'm still here... lol. BUT GUESS WHAT! Since it's past midnight,

that means... IT'S OFFICIALLY MY BIRTHDAY! WHEE~! :DDD 

LINK TO VIDEO: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOWn_SYFKv4