Chapter 20

Oppa, When Will You Notice Me?

 

Mi Young’s POV

It’s the weekend again. Somehow, the week passed without any events. Joon and I exchanged a few glances and a few greetings, but apart from that, I made no contact with him in the past week. I lie in my bed and stare at my ceiling, bundling myself in a cocoon of blankets. Today marked the first week since HyunA and Lee Joon started dating. Sadly, I hit myself on the head. How do I even know that it’s their one week anniversary? Why do I care so much?

I know.

It’s because I like him.

I know.

I can’t do anything about it.

HyunA and Joon sat together during break times, and most people looked at them like they were a cute, newlywed couple, adorably sharing their food. The break times were the hardest to cope. At least during classes, I didn’t have to avoid him. I sigh out loud, and groggily pull myself out of bed. I fall onto my pink swivel chair, and turn on my laptop. As I wait for it to warm up, I rub my eyes and run my fingers through my hair, pulling out a quite a few strands out.

Ouch.

Abruptly, my computer begins to beep crazily, and a whole list of messages from HyunA pops up. Ugh. Trust HyunA.

HyunA: Mi Young! What do you think of this dress?

HyunA: Actually never mind. What about this one?

HyunA: Do these shoes match the dress?

HyunA: Or do these ones match better?

HyunA: Do you think I should wear a necklace with this dress?

HyunA: Mi Young!

HyunA: Mi YOUNG!!

HyunA: PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE REPLY!!!!!

HyunA: MI YOUNG AH!!!

I flick through all of her messages sigh. Of course HyunA would be the one to fret over the smallest details. That was so HyunA. Another beep is emitted from the computer.

HyunA: Mi Young, are you still asleep?

I quickly reply.

Me: No, HyunA, I’m asleep. Why would you text me when I’m asleep?

Childishly, I anticipate her reply.

HyunA: Oh, sorry Mi Young! Tell me when you’ve woken up!

Me: Ok, HyunA.

Standing up and giggling hysterically at her silliness, I begin to dress and I turn on some music. Dancing like a total gorilla, I jump around in my room until my brother comes banging on my door.

‘Noona!’ he whines, rubbing his eyes. ‘Noona, why are you so noisy today?’

‘Mianhe Daekyung. I just feel like dancing today.

‘Dancing? Can we go and visit Joon hyung today? Then you can dance and I can play with him!’

This shocks me, so unsurprisingly, I slip and land face-first onto the pile of blankets on my bed.

‘Aaaah….’

‘Noona, can we? Please????’

‘Daekyung ah…’

‘Nooonaaaaaa…..’ he whines, tugging on my arm. ‘Noona, I thought you liked him?’

‘Ehh? No way! What the heck? What are you on about? Of course I don’t like him!’

My evil little brother snickers at my reaction. ‘Sure, noona. I believe you.’

‘YAH!’ I try to catch him, but the nimble kid ducks away and flees, leaving me huffing. ‘Aish. Stupid Daekyung.’

I turn back to my computer, and I see that HyunA replied again.

HyunA: YAAAH! MI YOUNG! WHY DIDN’T YOU TELL ME THAT YOU WERE ALREADY AWAKE? I WAS DESPERATE!

Me: Keke.

HyunA: That’s not funny!

It’s true, it wasn’t that funny, but I have to keep up the act.

Me: Wear the red dress with the gold necklace that Hara gave you ok? Also, wear the shoes you bought in Myeongdong last time.

HyunA: Omo! Mi Young ah, you’re my saviour!

Me: Where are you going today anyway?

HyunA: Out with Joonie oppa to the Han River! It’ll be so romantic! I’m so excited!

As soon as my eyes fall on the words, ‘Joonie oppa’, my heart begins to sink. I admit, I’m not feeling much better about them going out than before. To be honest, the fact that they were should be familiar territory for me, but somehow, I can never find myself strong enough to cope with it.

I pull on a jumper and my computer beeps again. My attention returns to it, and my eyes widen.

Joon: Hi, Mi Young, how are you today?

I begin to panic.

Omo, what should I do?

Should I reply?

Should I not?

Omo, omo, omo.

The computer beeps again.

Joon: Mi Young? Are you there?

Unsteadily, I sit down onto my chair, as thoughts run rapidly through my head.

Should I just act normal? Should I ignore him? Should I confess my feelings?

My fingers stiffen as they lie onto the keyboard, as my heart thumps loudly in my chest.

I stay frozen there for I don’t know how long, but eventually I make a decision.

I ignore him.

To think about it, I didn’t reply to his first message, and it’s already been 5 minutes since his second message. I force myself to close his message, and almost immediately, I turn my computer off.

I launch myself back into the blankets and huddle, reprimanding myself.

Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Mi Young, why did you do that?

In frustration I dig my nails into my palm, until it feels numb.

Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Now I’m even inflicting pain on myself.

I feel a certain type of wetness make its way down my cheek, and I absentmindedly wipe it away.

 

Joon’s POV

As I pull my eyes away from HyunA’s animated chatter, causing my computer to beep 50 times quicker than normal, I find myself clicking on Mi Young’s icon and opening a new chat box.

I hesitate.

Hi Mi Young, how are you today?  I type, but I hit the delete button.

I frown and retype it.

I hesitate once again, before I hit the send button, as I anxiously wait for her reply.

HyunA’s conversation box is flashing bright orange, but I ignore it, focussing on Mi Young’s one.

I wait about five minutes, and send another message.

No reply.

Her icon dims and my heart sinks. Who was I kidding? How could you even expect her to pay attention to me? She has better things to do than to talk to me. What a waste of time. Annoyed, I abruptly switch off my computer, and storm into my room, breathing heavily. Why did I even bother?

She was probably just talking to Thunder anyway.

Her boyfriend would be more important to her than me.

Of course.

Of course.

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ok, so first i want to say that I'm sorry, and that I know that I'm stupid and a poophead for not updating in like half a year,

but I was really preoccupied with schoolwork and *ahem* reply 1997 and many, many other kdramas so yeah... *trails off into silence*

BUT I have to thank one faithful reader for nudging me to get off my and start writing more :)

Additionally, I've made it my goal to finish this by the end of the year, otherwise that would just be sad (for me).

so im not guaranteeing anything, but I THINK that I'll start updating 'more regularly' now...?

 

LOL OK BYE

 

shannonigan ~