Chapter 2

Oppa, When Will You Notice Me?

The trip home was quick. My hair covered most of my face, so no one bothered to take a look at me and talk to me. I arrive home and run up the stairs into my room. My desk is a mess. I push away piles of textbooks until I finally find my calculator. Then, I lose myself in the world of maths and quadratic formulas.

 

Joon’s POV

 

I glanced at HyunA, who was currently showing me another move that she choreographed. I look around. Where was Mi Young? HyunA poked me playfully. ‘Oppa! I don’t think you were watching me!’ she says in a sing-song voice.

 

I smile falsely and say, ’HyunA, we have enough moves for now. We can add more in later ok?’

 

HyunA pouts and says, ‘Arasso oppa.’ She looks at her watch and says, ‘Well, if we don’t need any more moves for now, I guess I’ll go home and study now. Otherwise, I might end up failing the maths exam. Bye!’ She skips off, with her bag swinging by her side.

 

Seung Ho walks up to me and quietly asks, ‘When are you going to confess?’

 

I sigh, ‘I don’t know. I will when the time is right.’

 

Mi Young's POV

 

I stay up until very late. After I had finished studying maths, I pick up my book. I had only bought it yesterday. It was a very philosophical book. The first page clearly stated, Be true to your work, your word, and your friend. I flipped the page. Friendship is mutual blackmail elevated to the level of love. Next page. The friend is the person who knows all about you, and still likes you. I sigh. HyunA still doesn’t know about my unrequited feelings for Joon. I throw the book down and it lands on the floor. I put my head on my desk and sigh.

 

*Flashback*

 

It was the first day of kindergarten, and my mother was busy talking to her friend who had a son who was to be in the same class as me. ‘Kim Mi Young! Come and meet my childhood friend! We both came to this school!’ My mother’s cheerful voice surprised me. This was the worst day of my life and you’re happy? I shuffled quietly to her side, where I met her friend who was smiling to me kindly.

 

‘Mi Young ah, are you starting kindergarten?’ I nodded mutely. From the corner of my eye, I saw a little boy trying to hide. A few seconds later, my mother’s friend was striding towards him, with a stern expression on her face.

 

‘Joon ah, are you trying to run away again?’ The boy called Joon shook his head vigorously and glumly trudged up beside her.

 

‘Mi Young ah, this is my son, Lee Chang Sun. He’s going to be in the same class as you. You can be friends! Isn’t that great?’

 

The boy shook his head again, this time talking. ‘UMMA! Don’t call me Chang Sun! I like Joon!’

 

‘Chang Sun likes to be called Joon.’ His mother amended quickly.

 

My mother looked at her watched and gave a shriek. ‘Mi Youngah! Joon ah! Hurry! We must get you two to class! You can’t be late on your first day!’

 

Joon’s mother and my mother quickly herded us into the classroom, and with a quick goodbye, they were gone. Joon and I stared at each other. For the first time, I noticed that he was rather cute and good looking. ‘Hello,’ I stammered, ’My name is Mi Young. I am 5 years old. What about you?’

 

Joon stared at me innocently and said, ‘My name is Joon. I am 6. I like to dance.’

 

I nodded. ‘I like to sing! I want to be famous when I grow up!’

 

Joon smiled a small smile. ‘Me too.’

 

 

The kindergarten teacher came out and smiled warmly. ‘You must be Lee Chang Sun and Kim Mi Young. Hello! My name is Teacher Park and I will be your kindergarten teacher this year! Come in, the class is waiting!’

 

Joon and I shuffled into the classroom and with a quick introduction to the small class of about 10, we were seated next to each other as we were the last ones to arrive. For about two weeks, Joon and I stuck together as we were both too scared to talk to the other classmates. We played with each other and shared our lunches. For a while, I was happy because I had a friend. Then, I started liking him. A lot. I cherished school until the day that Joon moved away from beside me. Joon had been offered a seat at the boys table, consisting of 6. After Joon went and sat there, the other 3 girls came and sat at my table. I kept my eyes firmly on the table until a rather bossy girl poked me and said rather rudely, ‘YAAH! WHY AREN’T YOU LOOKING AT ME? AM I TOO UGLY? YOU RUDE GIRL. I’M GOING TO KILL YOU!’ She shoved me hard and I fell to the ground. The distance from the chair to the ground was very short, but I landed on my elbow. I started crying. The 3 girls started laughing at me. Soon after the all of the boys joined in, except for Joon. He looked genuinely worried. I buried my face into my knees and continued to cry until the teacher silenced the rest of the class. I was taken to the hospital where they said that I had broken my arm.

 

The next day, I walked into class with a cast on my arm. . The boys just kept to themselves. The 3 girls looked at me disdainfully and ignored me. I could barely do anything, as my broken arm was my dominant arm. I had to clumsily eat left-handed as everyone would stare at me and continuously mock me. I was a loner at break times. Sometimes, I would see Joon look at me for a second before he averted his gaze from me. It went on like that for a couple of years. I thought that it would never end. Then, my family moved houses. I went to a different school. I met HyunA.

 

HyunA was my first girl friend. She was cool, fun, smart and bubbly. She was someone that I desperately wanted as a friend. I thought it was fate when she sat next to me. I asked her why she did, when there were so many other seats. I never expected her to sit next to a loner like me. She simply replied ‘Oh, the others are just so weird! I like you Mi Young. Friends?’

 

I had nodded energetically and agreed, ‘Friends.’

 

We stayed friends all the way through the rest of primary school, and through middle school as well. We became best friends. I had still loved Joon, and I thought that I would never see him again, seeing as mother eventually lost contact with his mother.

 

*End Flashback*