Chapter 16

Oppa, When Will You Notice Me?

 

HyunA’s POV

 

It’s the day of the double date and I ring Mi Young’s phone. I let it ring 3 times and hang up. I dial her number again and she finally picks up.

 

‘Mi Young! FINALLY! Listen I’m gonna come round to your place and see what you’re gonna wear today. Ok? You can also see what I’m wearing!’

 

‘Mmm….? Yeah ok…’

 

I hang up and smile to myself. I pull on my favourite dress and do my hair so it will look nice just for Joonie oppa. After carefully applying makeup, I set off to Mi Young’s house. My dress is fluttering in the wind, and I feel like a princess. I smile and skip to her house, as it was only two streets away.

 

‘Mi Young! Open up please!’ I knock on the door impatiently and her little brother answers it, still in his pyjamas.

 

‘Annyeong Daekyung!’

 

His eyes widen and he stammers, ‘Annyeonghaseyo HyunA noona. Mi Young is upstairs. Come in…’

 

I smile at him and say, ‘Thanks Daekyung!’ As I walk up the stairs, I feel his gaze on me and smile. If an 11 year old is checking me out, then I must be good enough for Joonie oppa.

 

‘Mi Young! I’m here!’ I burst into her room and she shrieks, and falls out of her bed.

 

‘Are you still in bed? Hurry! We only have half an hour to get there!’

 

‘I don’t know what to wear though…’

 

‘Aisshhh.’ I march to her wardrobe and start to pull out suitable clothes for her.

 

‘Mi Young! Wear this. With this jacket. Actually don’t wear the jacket. Put on theses earrings and this necklace. Hurry!’

 

‘Alright… alright…’ She stumbles out of her tangle of blankets and slopes towards her bathroom, while I wait. I play with my fingers for a while, and walk towards her mirror, checking out my makeup. Her mirror is dirty, and I wipe it with a tissue. Beside the tissue box, I see an assortment of books and a large pink one that reads, ‘DIARY’. I wave of temptation passes over and I look around quickly. I stare at it, unsure of whether to read it or not. No. Best friends don’t read each other’s diaries. But… Best friends don’t hide any secrets from each other. All the stuff in her diary won’t be new to me. Shrugging off any feeling of hesitation, I pick up her diary and flick to her latest entry.

 

‘Dear Diary,

Today I got my math results back. I think I could’ve done better. I wish I did. Most of my mistakes were because of my carelessness.  If I want to go to Seoul National University, I have to get top marks. But at least I’m in the top maths class for next year. That’s something.

 

Today I saw her. She looks so happy right now. I don’t know what to do now. I don’t know what to feel now. I know that I should tell her face on, but I can’t seem to get myself to do that. Diary, what should I do? My feelings are mixed up into a big ball of uselessness. I can’t even get over my feelings about - ‘

 

The noise of the bathroom door opening slaps me to my senses, and I hurriedly place the diary back onto her desk.

 

‘HyunA, I look stupid. Tell me I look stupid ok?’ Mi Young appears in the doorway and I look at her.

 

‘No! You look great Mi Young! But hurry, right now we need to go!’ I push her out and grab her wallet and a bag. ‘Go, go, go , go, go!’ As we leave the room, I cast a longing look at her diary, and we leave.

 

Joon’s POV

 

Mi Young isn’t here. Neither is HyunA. Right now it’s just Thunder and I standing outside awkwardly, not speaking with one another.

 

‘OPPPPAAAAA!!!!!’ HyunA’s voice echoes around the small square. ‘We’re here!’ I turn in the direction of her voice and stop.

 

HyunA is running towards us, looking excited, dragging along a less enthusiastic Mi Young. I stifle a yawn as she jumps onto me, and hugs me enthusiastically. Thunder and Mi Young are exchanging awkward greetings, and I smile to her as well. HyunA hangs onto my neck and I push her hand aside.

 

‘Let’s go inside.’

 

The ice cream shop is clean, and the waitress recognizes Mi Young and I from before. She smiles to our group and waves us to a table.

 

We slide in, and we don’t talk. Cue the awkward silence.

 

‘So what would you like today?’ Saved by the waitress.

 

HyunA looks inquiringly at me and I shrug. She looks up and orders a sundae for two. She winks at me and I look away. Mi Young and Thunder are both quiet and awkward, but Thunder orders the same for them. The waitress leaves and HyunA begins chattering about the flavours of the ice cream. I sit there awkwardly, secretly wishing that this would be over in a matter of seconds.

 

HyunA and Thunder manage to keep a light conversation going, whilst I stay silent. I look up and catch Mi Young’s eye. She blushes and looks away. I smile at her, but she doesn’t look at me again.

 

‘Oppa! Open wide!’ HyunA pokes a spoon to my mouth and I glance at her. She looks hopeful. If I refuse this, then I’ll probably hurt her. So I open my mouth.

 

‘Ah! Thank you HyunA! Delicious!’ She beams and feeds me again. I open my mouth, smiling falsely, and from the corner of my eye I see Mi Young look at me, then look away.

 

HyunA tries to feed me again, but I gently push her hand away. She looks surprised and a little offended. ‘That’s enough for now HyunA! Thank you!’ HyunA stops, forming a perfect ‘O’ and then she smiles.

 

‘Arasso oppa!’ She stands up. ‘Oppas, Mi Youngie! I’m going to go to the bathroom ok?’

 

We all nod silently, except for Thunder who says, ‘Ok HyunA.’

 

She beams and skips off to the ladies’ room.

 

HyunA’s POV

 

I wash my face, still thinking about Mi Young’s diary. Who did she have feelings for? Why does she need to get over her feelings for this mystery guy. I reapply a fresh layer of makeup and a new layer of lipstick. I pout, admiring myself. I have to admit that I am a pretty girl. I leave the ladies’ room and find them, in a deep and meaningful conversation. The ice cream was gone. Was I that long in the bathroom? I shrug and Joon stands up.

 

‘Ah! Oppa! Where are you going?’

 

‘To pay.’

 

‘Oppa! I’ll come! Oppa, Mi Young, wait outside ok?’ They nod and walk out together, and I notice Thunder trying to catch Mi Young’s hand. I frown after them and run after Joonie oppa.

 

‘Oppa, there’s something that I need to tell you after.’

 

‘Hmmm?’ Joon looks up, an eyebrow raised. ‘Ok HyunA, I’ll meet you outside.’

 

I look into his eyes. They’re really pretty. ‘Okay oppa.’ I turn and walk outside, anticipating.

 

Thunder and Mi Young are nowhere to be seen, and I just sit on a bench near the toilets and wait.

 

After what seems like forever, I see Joon walk outside and look around. ‘Oppa!’ I jump up and greet him. ‘Come here!’ I take his hand and lead him to the bench I was sitting and make him sit.

 

‘What’s up HyunA? Did you want to tell me something?’

 

‘Umm… neh.’

 

Joon looks at me, questioningly.

 

‘Oppa, I wanted to say that…‘ I pause and take a deep breath. ‘I like you. I want to be your girlfriend. Will you go out with me?’

 

Joon blinks, but says nothing. Instead, he gazes into the distance, but I don’t take my eyes away from his, my heart thumping loudly in my chest. Will he accept me? Will he reject me?

 

After what seems ages, he looks at me, and says, ‘HyunA, I’ll go out with you.’

 

I jump up, ‘Really?’

 

Joon smiles. ‘Yes.’

 

‘YAY!’ I jump up and hug him, and I pinch his cheek gently. He looks at me and I give him a peck on the cheek. He blushes and I giggle. ‘Oppa you’re so cute!’

 

‘Neh, neh, arasso.’ He smiles and stands up. ‘Kaja.’ I skip to him and slip my hand into his.

 

I smile widely. *Finally! Joonie oppa is my boyfriend now! What a wonderful day today is!*

 

Thunder’s POV

 

I wait for Mi Young outside the ice cream shop. HyunA’s sitting alone, but it would be awkward if I sit next to her. So I stand alone, waiting for Mi Young. After a few more minutes I decide to look for her. I see her as she exits the ladies’ room.

 

‘Hi Mi Young’

 

‘Ah! Oppa! What are you doing here?’

 

I’m surprised. Did she not expect me here? Was she expecting someone else? Questions swirl around my head, but I say, ‘I just wondered why you took so long.’

 

‘Oh ok. I’ll catch up with you later ok? I think my eyeliner smudged just then.’

 

Her eyeliner looks fine. I take the hint and say,’ Arasso Mi Young.’ She doesn’t want me here right now. I should probably just let her be. Before I do, I hug her, and her body feels so tiny and fragile, as if she’s about to shatter into a million pieces..

 

I leave, and from the corner of my eye, I see her standing there, possibly waiting for something.

 

Joon’s POV

 

‘Oppa, there’s something that I need to tell you after.’

 

‘Hmmm?’ I look up, an eyebrow raised. ‘Ok HyunA, I’ll meet you outside.’

 

‘Okay oppa.’ HyunA skips outside, like a little child.

 

I pay, and then I go and find HyunA.

 

‘Oppa!’ She jumps up and greet him. ‘Come here!’ She leads me to a bench and makes me sit.

 

‘What’s up HyunA? Did you want to tell me something?’

 

‘Umm… neh.’

 

I looks at her, not knowing what to expect.

 

‘Oppa, I wanted to say that…‘ She pauses. ‘I like you. I want to be your girlfriend. Will you go out with me?’

 

I blink, but says nothing. Instead, I look past her, and see Thunder hug Mi Young. She smiles, and I freeze. They seem like an actual couple now. What’s the point of me waiting for her if she already has a boyfriend? They move off together, happily, whilst my heart is slowly cracking.

 

The girl that I’ve always waited for now has another guy, and there’s a another girl asking me to be her boyfriend. What am I supposed to do? I have no choice.

 

‘HyunA, I’ll go out with you.’

 

She jumps up, ‘Really?’

 

I smile painfully. ‘Yes.’

 

‘YAY!’ HyunA jumps up and hugs me, and pinches my cheek. I look at her and she immediately kisses me on the cheek. My face feels hot and she giggles.

 

‘Oppa you’re so cute!’

 

‘Neh, neh, arasso.’ I smile falsely and stand up. ‘Kaja.’ She skips her hand into mine. I want to pull my hand away, but I just let myself get pushed around by her. I look at her face and she’s beaming.

 

I wish I could feel the same.

 

 

Mi Young’s POV

 

*The toilets here are quite new.* I think to myself. I wash my face, and reapply another layer of eyeliner. I exit the building and stop.

 

‘Oppa, I wanted to say that…‘ HyunA’s voice is faint, but recognizable. ‘I like you. I want to be your girlfriend. Will you go out with me?’

 

My heart stops. I wait, anticipating.

 

I spy a figure walking towards me, and I pause. It’s Thunder.

 

‘Hi Mi Young.’

 

‘Ah! Oppa! What are you doing here?’

 

Thunder is taken aback but says, ‘I just wondered why you took so long.’

 

‘Oh ok. I’ll catch up with you later ok? I think my eyeliner smudged just then.’ I try to control my voice, but on the inside, I’m shaking.

 

Thunder nods. ‘Arasso Mi Young.’ He hugs me, but I stay glued to where I am. He turns and leaves, and I’m left standing there, anxiously waiting for Joon’s reply.

 

‘HyunA, I’ll go out with you.’

 

My heart shatters.

 

 

______________________________________________________________________

 

OOOOOH! WHAT HAPPENS NEXT? SUBSCRIBE AND COMMENT TO FIND OUT!

honestly, i feel more motivated if i get more comments and subbies, so please do

subscribe and comment! :)

 

hello my awesome and fabulous subscribers! <3 

i love all of you guys, seriously.

 

i know that i havent updated in like 2 months and im REALLY REALLY sorry about that,

but my school work is now piling up and up and i need to finish everything D:

anyway, now that most of my assessments are over, i can now find time to update more!

YAY! :) 

but yeah i'll definitely try and update sooner. :)

 

subscribe +comment  ^^

 

until next time!

shannonigan ~