Chapter 2

Love is Blind

 

Kyuhyun

 

He was pessimistic, sarcastic, and, to put it lightly, a bit rude. He and his sister lived alone in a small apartment in the city. She was the only one he could really trust and he loved her. She was family. His older sister loved him too of course; If she didn’t she wouldn’t have taken care of him all these years. He’d had a hard time getting anyone else to feel the same way, but he didn’t care, and he never would. Or so he thought.

It was a perfectly good day besides the fact that he had to start a new job for the third time that month, not to mention that he’d have to see his sister’s friend Jessica every day if things went well at this one. He woke up late, pulled on the nearest t-shirt he could find, and ran out the door to catch the 8:30 bus before it left without him. If he was late he’d be looking for another job and his sister would not be happy about it. Kyuhyun got to the bus just in time and made it to work with a minute or two before his day officially started. He looked up at the city library and sighed. Great, he thought as he closed his eyes. I’ve never been fired by a librarian before; this should be fun. He walked through the door and found Jessica talking to a skinny old man with large glasses and a permanent scowl on his face.

“Don’t make me regret this” he said turning to look at Kyuhyun with a frown before walking away.

Kyuhyun’s attention was elsewhere while Jessica explained the job, but he got the gist. Restock books, keep things in order, help customers, blah blah blah.

“Kyu… Are you even listening to me?”

“Yeah yeah I’m listening. Where do I start?”

“There’s a cart of books in the back room; start by putting those back where they belong.” She sighed and walked back to the front desk when the phone rang, and Kyuhyun was thankful for it.

It wasn’t long before he found the huge cart in the back and wheeled it out to begin what could be the most mundane day of his entire existence. He carried a stack to their particular location and started putting them on the shelf when someone ran into him from behind causing him to collapse on to the floor along with all of the books in his arms. Seriously?

“God, watch where you’re going!” he yelled at the boy who had knocked him over.

“I’m so sorry” he heard as he started to gather the books off the floor.

Suddenly he felt a large, strong pair of hands around his waist pulling him off of the floor.

“YAH! Let go of me!”

A little shocked at being picked up off the ground like a child, he whipped his head around and looked the older boy straight in the eyes. He was nearly the same height as himself, though a bit bigger and, Kyuhyun couldn’t help but notice while shouting in his face, very good looking too. 

“What are you, BLIND?” he yelled and watched in horror as the older boy started laughing and bent over to pick up his cane... His cane.

“Yes, yes I am. Sorry about running into you.” Kyuhyun stood with his mouth open and felt a shiver run down his spine as he realized the boy could probably beat the life out of him… blind or not.

“My name’s Choi Siwon.”

The stranger put out his hand and Kyuhyun started shaking in response as he reached out to grab it.

“Cho Kyuhyun… Nice to meet you.” He couldn’t believe his luck. “Umm…” He had started to apologize for yelling, but the handsome older boy cut him off. 

“Don’t worry about it” the older boy replied while pointing to his blind eyes. His smile widened and he winked at Kyuhyun before he walked away.

Kyuhyun stood still for a few moments, dumbfounded, with his hand outstretched midair. Did he just wink at me? He thought to himself.

“Stupid, stupid, stupid… ‘What are you, blind?’ I just had to open my big mouth.” He muttered aloud, hand still hanging in the air. “I’m going to get fired… again.”

Kyu! Get back to work. What are you doing?” Jessica said as she hurried to his side. “Do you want to get fired from this job too? Do you want ME to get fired? I pulled some major strings to get you a job here.” She whispered angrily.

Kyuhyun put his hand down and looked at Jessica. God she’s annoying he thought for maybe the millionth time since he had met her. After seeing his expression she smiled.

“Your sister would kill me if you got fired during your first week here. You’re lucky you’re so cute” she said ruffling his hair.

“Whatever” he said as he pushed her hand off his head.

Kyuhyun started putting the books back on to their respective shelves and watched as Jessica sauntered (in what she probably thought was a y way) over to where Siwon was quietly reading. He chuckled to himself. Idiot. He can’t even see you. As he watched her though, he realized that she knew he was blind by the way she touched him before she said anything and when she answered his questions, and every time she laughed. It made him curious. Does she know him? Does he come here often? How often? Why haven’t I seen him? He’s pretty hard to miss. Tall, good looking, only a bit older than I am. Does he like her? Why would he like her? Why is he smiling so much; showing off his dimples? Are they dating? Seriously, why would he like her? God, those dimples. He’s probably just being nice, right? She is SO ANNOYING. *CRASH*

Kyuhyun fell flat on his face dropping a large handful of books for a second time that day. He didn’t realize how far he was leaning out from the book shelf to spy on his sister’s best friend and, well, a complete stranger.

“” he muttered hoping nobody saw him fall, but he knew better.

He looked up and saw Siwon’s head flip around, eyes staring directly at him. He turned bright red forgetting for a second that the older boy was blind. His heart started to race as Siwon continued to stare at him, or rather in his direction, and the corners of the older boy’s mouth turned upwards in amusement when Jessica yelled his name.

KYU!”  Her obnoxious voice brought him back to his senses and he scrambled up off the floor, picked up the fallen books, and took cover behind the nearest bookcase.