Chapter 21

Love is Blind

 

 

 

 

Siwon 

 

Kyuhyun said that he was ready to go with, what sounded to Siwon, a bit of hesitation, and it made Siwon a little nervous. Then he heard soft footsteps walking away from him and the click of an opened front door. Before he could fully wrap his mind around the fact that his cane was still on his bed and that Kyuhyun was on the other side of the room, he let out a howling laugh as he clutched his stomach and threw his head back.

Siwon had never allowed being blind become to a crutch, but he could always sense the way that people looked at him with sideways glances full of (infuriating) pity. It was worse that he could hear it in the way their gentle tones gave him the feeling that they saw a small frightened child instead of a full grown man before them. His handicap was the first thing that was established when he met anyone new; even before his own name.

Nobody, not one person, had ever forgotten that he couldn’t see. Maybe the odd acquaintance would say hello with something that sounded a lot like, ‘oh right, the blind kid,’ but never had anyone blatantly forgotten… Let alone repeatedly forgotten. Nobody but Kyuhyun. This strange, wonderful boy that he found himself inexplicably drawn to, standing just a few feet away.

He wasn’t sure if it was the remnants of his dream, the way Kyuhyun’s deep sparkling laughter filled his home, or just the sheer hilarity of the moment, but he suddenly felt the urge to walk right over to said strange boy and kiss him. And kiss him, and kiss him, and kiss him until all that was left was their laughter and Kyuhyun had forgotten a lot more than Siwon’s blindness… Like his name for instance. Luckily before his body decided to do just that, Kyuhyun spoke and Siwon’s feet stayed firmly planted where they were.

 “I, um, forgot again. About… I’m sorry.” Kyuhyun breathed out, sounding bashful after both of their laughter had died down. “I bet that happens all the time.”

“No, actually, it’s never happened before. It’s the first time anyone has even forgotten about me being blind. Well, repeatedly forgotten.” Siwon smiled and he let out another soft laugh.

It was quiet for a bit after that and Siwon was trying desperately to think of something to say. Not just anything, but something witty and charming; and something that didn’t come off as, ‘hey, how about we just skip the party and hang out here, in my bedroom, in my bed.’ He figured that probably wouldn’t go over too well. While trying to think of a suitable alternative, he felt a set of warm and pleasantly familiar fingers curl around his. While a huge (and he assumed, dorky) grin spread across his face he was pulled quickly out of his front door; cane completely forgotten.

As they walked out in the cold towards the parking lot, Siwon unconsciously tightened his grip on Kyuhyun’s hand so he wouldn’t let go. There was a tingling sensation in his fingers that he couldn’t quite put into words. It was more than just the feeling of contact and an adoration that warmed his heart. It felt so right. It was like his fingers were home in Kyuhyun’s hands. Like they belonged clasped together with the younger boys’

Siwon’s thoughts were racing and he almost moved his fingers so they were intertwined with the younger boy’s when Kyuhyun suddenly stopped in front of him. He lightly bumped into the younger boy and realized they must be at the car. Kyuhyun made a noise and announced that were. Kyuhyun let go of his hand and a few seconds later he heard the car’s passenger side door open.

“Here.” the younger boy said, lightly nudging Siwon towards the open door.

Siwon smiled and ceremonially rubbed his fingers through his hair.

“What a gentleman. You’re the best date I’ve had in a long time” he joked almost nervously and got in before Kyuhyun shut the door for him.

He smirked a bit and tried to control his expression when Kyuhun got in and started up the car. He loved all of the joking and being so comfortable with the younger boy. After a few minutes in silence he got a little worried and started running his hands back and forth against each other and shaking his legs. It was too quiet and he gave a second thought to that whole comfort thing. He opened his mouth and shut it a few times when he couldn’t think of anything to say. Thankfully the car stopped and Kyuhyun got out. Siwon got out too and sighed in relief when Kyuhyun announced their arrival. With that, Siwon smiled and relaxed back into the easy comfort that came every time the younger boy talked. He held out his hand a little hesitantly and waited for their hands to be back together

His stomach flipped and he smiled when Kyuhyun grabbed his hand and started to walk them into his apartment building. They stopped for a few seconds and Siwon remembered the first time he had been there. He realized they were waiting for the elevator when he heard Kyuhyun press the button. Siwon kept smiling (he couldn’t help it) and his thoughts were back on their connected hands when it reached the bottom floor, but they were derailed when Kyuhyun made a startled yelp at the noise. He turned his head towards the younger boy.

 “You okay?” he asked a little worried.

“Yeah, the elevator was loud I guess. It kind of surprised me.” Kyuhyun replied quietly.

He chuckled a little and walked both of them into the elevator. He tried to remember back to the night at the karaoke bar. There were four dings on the way down that night, he thought as he felt along the side of the wall for the buttons. He pushed four as casually as he could and stepped back a bit and stood in the middle, still holding tightly to the younger boy. He kept thinking about their hands and how good it felt just to hold a little piece of Kyuhyun. After a few seconds, he realized how uncomfortable the quiet had become, and that he was caressing the back of Kyuhyun’s hand with his thumb. Okay, you need to stop that know, he thought blushing suddenly. And say something you idiot. The car ride was torture and he wanted that comfortable chatter back.

“So what are we having for dinner?”He finally asked, “I’m assuming you were joking about Ara being a horrible cook, and hopefully about her burning down the house too.” He smiled widely and turned his head towards Kyuhyun.

The younger boy laughed. Siwon could feel him relax next to him and Siwon relaxed right along with him.

“No, I was dead serious…”

Kyuhun joked and Siwon joked back. They laughed and he smiled as they easily bantered back and forth. His face was starting to hurt, but he couldn’t seem to care. The elevator stopped a bit later. He heard a familiar voice just outside the door and he suddenly had the absolutely terrifying thought that he was still holding hands with Kyuhyun and that maybe, and quite possibly, Kyuhyun might not be feeling the same fluttering butterflies. Maybe he was wondering why Siwon was still holding his hand even though they weren’t going anywhere. Maybe he would be uncomfortable with what Jessica and… oh.

He recognized the other voice too. Siwon pulled his hand away from Kyuhun and rubbed the back of his head. The last thing he wanted to do was embarrass Kyuhyun in front of his coworker, well Jess was his boss, wasn’t she… and the other voice… The other voice belonged to Changmin. Shim Changmin.

Siwon and Changmin went to SM High together. They weren’t exactly friends, but they knew each other. He was a nice enough guy (well, Siwon never really liked saying anything bad about people), but he had a big mouth. A big mouth that had the tendency to tease and poke and prod without any thought about the repercussions. If Changmin saw them holding hands he would surely make a big fuss about it all and he would laugh and joke until both he and Kyuhyun were forced to take residence under a rock somewhere. He wasn’t willing to risk that, no matter how much he’d like to. Kyuhyun was too special and he didn’t want to ruin whatever it was that they had. They had something, didn’t they…?

“Jess.” Siwon said, finally bringing his hand down from his neck.

“Siwon, Oh my gosh how are you? I didn’t realize you were going to be here tonight.” She said while hugging him a little tighter than he thought completely necessary.

Thank goodness I talked to her about our relationship he thought as she pulled away from him. At least I won’t have to deal with that tonight.

“How are you?” He asked her politely.

He heard Kyuhyun walk off and his stomach dropped. What if I already ruined everything, he thought, terrifyied of the idea. What if he never wants to talk to me again? What if I never get to hold his hand again? What if-

“Siwon, this is Shim Changmin” Jessica said interrupting his worried train of thought.

“Oh me and Siwon go way back, don’t we?” Changmin said smiling as he nudged Siwon’s upper arm… Well, punched was probably more accurate. “Blind-y here was the most popular kid in the entire school. He had girls falling at his feet… Not that he could see them. Probably for the best though, huh Siwon? He laughed out loudly.“He never seemed all that interested anyways. So how have you been?

“Good, how about you?” Siwon replied while trying to control his facial expression. He abruptly changed his mind about saying bad things about people… at least in his head. Changmin was a .

“Good, good. Been busy with Jessie here” he said suggestively making Siwon cringe and Jessica giggle nervously.

“Oh” Siwon said awkwardly.

How were you supposed to respond to something like that anyways? Jessica cleared and announced that they had left something in the car and had to go get it. Thank God, Siwon thought before smiling and telling them he’d talk to them in a bit. They got on the elevator and as they did, Siwon turned around hoping Kyuhun was still there. He heard a faint noise and let go of a small sigh.

 “Sorry about that.” He said running his fingers through his hair once again. He wasn’t sure exactly what he was apologizing about, but for some reason he thought it was necessary.

“Not your fault” Kyuhyun said in a monotone voice that scared Siwon a little.

Well, Siwon thought biting his lip, here goes nothing. He held out his hand and held his breath. When Kyuhyun grabbed his shirt sleeve and pulled him roughly through the building Siwon’s heart dropped. When they got inside the apartment Kyuhun let go and walked off. Siwon felt like crying, but Ara’s happy voice brought a much welcomed distraction, though a very short one.

 He hugged her in the same way he had at the karaoke bar and smiled with real joy at seeing her again. There was something so familial about her presence and for a second he wondered what it would have been like to have a sister, but before he could ruminate on the thought he heard a door slam and his smile fell.

He turned his face towards the noise and forgot about everything but the way Kyuhyun had rejected his hand just seconds before. He forgot Ara was standing just a few feet away and she watched as his face fell from something happy to pure depression. She lightly patted his arm causing him to jump a bit before he plastered a fake smile back on his face.

“Are you alright?” she asked sounding concerned. She led Siwon to the couch and sat him down. “Did my silly brother do something stupid? Is he alright?”

If Siwon hadn’t had so much previous practice listening to the tone of people’s voices he would’ve thought that she was playfully joking with him, but he knew better. He could hear the worried undertone in her question.

He thought about lying for a second, but Ara wasn’t the type of person you lied to. At least that’s what Siwon thought. He put his face in his hand and moaned.

“He hates me. Your brother hates me” he said in a sad, pathetic whisper.

Ara started laughing and Siwon looked up surprised and a little hurt, if he was being honest, at her reaction. It wasn’t a quick, breathy laugh either. She full-out busting up laughing and Siwon cocked his eye brows in confusion.

“Oh Siwon” she said trying, but failing miserably to hold back her laughter. “That is impossible.”

He continued to look up at her perplexed and she squeezed his shoulder comfortingly as her laughter calmed down.

“Sorry” she breathed out. “Really. Let me go talk to him. I bet he’s just grumpy.”

She grabbed his hand and pulled him off the couch. He was resistant at first thinking that she was dragging him to Kyuhyun’s room, but when they turned in the direction opposite his room he relaxed and let her pull him along. She opened a door and nudged him in.

“Wash up” she said smiling.”I’ll need help with dinner.

And with that, she closed the door and left Siwon in the bathroom as confused as he had ever felt in his life.

He blinked his eyes slowly a few times and shook his head.

“Women…”

 

 

 

Hey guys, sorry again for the long wait. I'm just having trouble getting this down in words. I promise I'll keep going if you still want to read this story though, so please comment so I know if you do. Plus, I love to read your comments! :D

Oh and I LOVE Changmin by the way, I just needed a name and since he jokes a lot, he popped into my head. He's only a "" fot the purposes of the story. :)